Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Dude, of all the things you have to worry about in your day is this really one of them? :confused:

If the lads going to post a smart answer, get it right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭acequion

Thanks so much to all those who replied to my questions about how things are in the Costa Blanca. Yes faceman, it's Orihuela Costa,specifically Torrevieja that I'm interested in. Anyone familiar with that town will see the significance of my username. It's my home away from home and I'm just extremely sad that because of my job here in the PS I won't be able to go over for months.

I'm really delighted to hear how well they're doing. And proud of them! And it just goes to show how fcked up we are here in this stupid country.:mad: Stupid restrictions all summer which decimated the travel and tourism industry and achieved sweet FA. Meanwhile places like Torrevieja got on with things [I was there twice this summer] and is now doing fine.

I'm starting to feel quite depressed. I'd be on a plane over there like a shot if I weren't imprisoned here in this miserable rain sodden country.:( Ok that's a bit of a rant but I doubt I'm the only one feeling like this.

And to all those nice people who replied to my questions and are lucky enough to be going back over, I'm delighted for ye and hope ye all have a great time. But spare a thought for those of us stuck here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    I cant speak for all of Spain but the Valencian Community (where the Costa Blanca is) is the region of Spain with the lowest contagion rate at the moment.

Restrictions are being enforced and strengthened but every region has a certain degree of freedom. Recently the Madrid Community and central government had a very vocal p*ssing contest on enforcing greater restrictions in certain areas of the city. Central government won and now 9-10 areas of Madrid are in semi-lockdown where you need a reason to be out of your home.

But again, Valencian Community is pretty chill atm. My in-laws live in Valencia and like us they have a house in Javea (in between Valencia and Alicante) and they are going about their life as normal: mask wearing, hand sanitizing, limiting the number of people they visit with indoor but effectively they go out to bars/restaurants (outdoor), go to the beach, play golf.

Hope it helps

Goodness, this makes me want to go over there.

I have a good friend in Valencia (city) who is happy for me to stay. So incredibly tempted but also worried about the flight, and also that the UK (where I live) might go into lockdown again and it would be a pain in the arse to get back.

Just looked at some Airbnbs and now have the biggest craving to be over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

titan18 wrote: »
    I usually do the Saturday morning out and come back Sunday night, or tie it in with a bank holiday and come back the Monday night. Easy way to have a weekend away. It'll likely be one of the first trips I do when things settle down and the West End reopens properly. I'm praying that's q2 2021.

“You’ll be back, soon you’ll see”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

After all the stress you created for yourself when you travelled to Ireland, I suggest this time you can the Channel Tunnel and drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Goodness, this makes me want to go over there.

I have a good friend in Valencia (city) who is happy for me to stay. So incredibly tempted but also worried about the flight, and also that the UK (where I live) might go into lockdown again and it would be a pain in the arse to get back.

yeah i guess the biggest risk would be that, being stranded because of some big change in restrictions on either side while you're there. although i'd venture to say you'd be allowed back so if you're flexible in terms of working remotely in case you are subject to quarantine then you should be fine.

hopefully the next couple of weeks will shed some light on the whole test/travel/isolate approach in the EU otherwise people will continue to be reluctant to travel, not much because of the risk of catching covid but because of the uncertainties tied to travel and the post-travel restrictions.

fingers crossed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I flew over to Chania (Crete, Greece) yesterday from Dublin Airport on the 14:45PM Ryanair flight.

The City Link bus from Galway to Dublin had 5 people on it. The airport was dead, there was no line for security, a quick scan of our travel forms & on to the plane we went which was about 50% full.

More than half the plane for tested after the passport check coming off the flight in Chania, it was a quick mouth swab behind a curtain & a scan of the travel form. It took about a minute.

Mask compliance has been good from everyone I've seen from Galway to my hotel here now.

Currently chilling by the pool in 30 degree heat & very glad I went.

Here for 2 weeks. I WFH so the advice to restrict movements when I get home will come easy.

If anyone has any other questions regarding travel or anything about how things are over here shoot me message, happy to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I flew over to Chania (Crete, Greece) yesterday from Dublin Airport on the 14:45PM Ryanair flight.

The City Link bus from Galway to Dublin had 5 people on it. The airport was dead, there was no line for security, a quick scan of our travel forms & on to the plane we went which was about 50% full.

More than half the plane for tested after the passport check coming off the flight in Chania, it was a quick mouth swab behind a curtain & a scan of the travel form. It took about a minute.

Mask compliance has been good from everyone I've seen from Galway to my hotel here now.

Here for 2 weeks. I WFH so the advice to restrict movements when I get home will come easy.

If anyone has any other questions regarding travel or anything about how things are over here shoot me message, happy to help :)

Good to hear. I am off to Mykonos tomorrow for a week - same boat as you - work from home, and need to get some sun before the winter really hits. Is the mouth swab painful? I presumed it would be the swab up the nose, which doesn't appeal, but a mouth swab seems easier. Did you get your QR code at midnight before you flew? Was it an even or odd number? (not sure if it makes any difference, but some are saying it does). Will be doing something very similar to you by tomorrow afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Good to hear. I am off to Mykonos tomorrow for a week - same boat as you - work from home, and need to get some sun before the winter really hits. Is the mouth swab painful? I presumed it would be the swab up the nose, which doesn't appeal, but a mouth swab seems easier. Did you get your QR code at midnight before you flew? Was it an even or odd number? (not sure if it makes any difference, but some are saying it does). Will be doing something very similar to you by tomorrow afternoon!

It's a throat swab not a mouth swab, just don't have too much food or drink on the way over! ;)

Hold out your tongue and they rub the swab off the back of it & put it in a jar, that's all it is :)

My OH was worried about it herself & she was laughing afterwards, it's nothing honestly.

I did, I got the email with the code at exactly 22:05PM the night before.

It was an odd number, started with 7.

I think it does make a difference, because my Mum done the same trip 2 weeks ago, her code started with an even number (4) & none of them got tested.

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    It's a throat swab not a mouth swab, just don't have too much food or drink on the way over! ;)

Oops! :D

I was fine though honestly, as was herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

DVDM93 wrote: »

Great to hear ! enjoy your holliers!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Shovel70

Hi Sean,
    I am here in Crete now. Weather has been amazing, even locals say it is too hot, has been 33/ 34 for most days since I arrived, just a little cooler with moderate wind today. I am currently on the beach with a beer, Yamas!

I got my QR code just after 10pm night before departure...it is midnight Greek time. My code started with a 7 and I was swabbed, as a lot of my flight were. It does appear that codes that start with an odd number are tested.

As for masks, I am in Agia Marina which is in the Chania district and people should be wearing masks at all times apart from when eating and drinking...I did read before I left that people are even supposed to be wearing masks on the beach, although I dont know how true that is. There are not many locals wearing masks
    ..some workers in the bars and restaurants do but not all. And I have not seen any tourists wearing masks. I did the first day but then stopped as no one else was wearing them...
    Have a great time, I have loved it and am delighted I came. Flight back to Dublin to whatever bloody phase we are in tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

Shovel70 wrote: »
    Hi Sean,
    I am here in Crete now. Weather has been amazing, even locals say it is too hot, has been 33/ 34 for most days since I arrived, just a little cooler with moderate wind today. I am currently on the beach with a beer, Yamas!

I got my QR code just after 10pm night before departure...it is midnight Greek time. My code started with a 7 and I was swabbed, as a lot of my flight were. It does appear that codes that start with an odd number are tested.

As for masks, I am in Agia Marina which is in the Chania district and people should be wearing masks at all times apart from when eating and drinking...I did read before I left that people are even supposed to be wearing masks on the beach, although I dont know how true that is. There are not many locals wearing masks
    ..some workers in the bars and restaurants do but not all. And I have not seen any tourists wearing masks. I did the first day but then stopped as no one else was wearing them...
    Have a great time, I have loved it and am delighted I came. Flight back to Dublin to whatever bloody phase we are in tomorrow night.

Great to hear. Staying in a fairly quiet part of Mykonos outside the town, so shouldn't be many tourists around. I went to south of France for a week in July and it made a huge difference to my mental health/motivation etc - no doubt this week will do the same. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No country on updated green list

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Shovel70

I have a pain in my face trying to fill in the plf for return to Ireland...it keeps saying passport number incorrect...and it is not! Any tips or maybe I will just fill out paper one when I get there. Would prefer not to though...

• Registered Users Posts: 86,560 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

I have searched the government website and I cannot find a way to 'download' the Passenger Locator Form' which has to be filled in when returning to Ireland from abroad.

Is it the case that you can only access this and 'fill it in online'.?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

I have searched the government website and I cannot find a way to 'download' the Passenger Locator Form' which has to be filled in when returning to Ireland from abroad.

You fill it in online. Super easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

You can also do it on paper upon arrival in the passport hall.

I’ve only ever done it on paper (4 times now) and never received the text/phonecall.

I’ve had friends use the online version and they all got the texts saying confirm you’re still at the address provided etc etc.

Your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I just done mine when I arrived at the airport, no biggie, took 2 mins to fill out. I have heard more people having issues with not being able to find the form online or qr code or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I'm thinking of travelling to Alicante for a week in November. I'm so depressed after months of confusion and strict government imposed lockdown measures.

Will the Bus Éireann busses still be running if the government increases the lockdown level to 4/5? - It's my only way of getting to Dublin Airport from my part of the country. I'm not sure if private bus operators will still be running in Level 4/5.

I'm going to travel to Alicante as a solo :pac: some people i know probably won't be too happy, but people need to get on with life and escape this country and travel (even for a week)

The flights are so cheap right now and i have discovered a fantastic cheap offer online. How can i turn it down?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Aer Lingus have a Great North America sale. If there was any hope at all for travel id roll the dice. €200 return till May on some deal's. Free change to meaning rebooking for a later date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

RobitTV wrote: »
    I'm thinking of travelling to Alicante for a week in November. I'm so depressed after months of confusion and strict government imposed lockdown measures.

Will the Bus Éireann busses still be running if the government increases the lockdown level to 4/5? - It's my only way of getting to Dublin Airport from my part of the country. I'm not sure if private bus operators will still be running in Level 4/5.

I'm going to travel to Alicante as a solo :pac: some people i know probably won't be too happy, but people need to get on with life and escape this country and travel (even for a week)

The flights are so cheap right now and i have discovered a fantastic cheap offer online. How can i turn it down?

go for it has to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Go for it, enjoy.

Yes Bus Eireann will still be running if we go to level 5 , but other services like Dublin Coach and JJ Kavanagh will stop ,, like last time we went to lockdown.

Just to note, I'm now finished my 2 week quarantine period after arriving back from Spain

I did not receive one text, or phone call throughout the entire 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Thanks for the information :) would not be surprised guys if the government announce they are increasing the lockdown level from 3 to 4/5 in the next few weeks sadly.

I'd advise anybody who is able to travel to book a nice trip abroad during that period and get it booked soon. Level 5 is simply going to be a return to the awful days of March, April and May.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Limpy wrote: »
    Aer Lingus have a Great North America sale. If there was any hope at all for travel id roll the dice. €200 return till May on some deal's. Free change to meaning rebooking for a later date.

Why is there no hope of flying? A guy on my Instagram was in Mexico last week then posted from NYC and now seems to be in Pittsburgh. His girlfriend is American. No idea if that helps him gain access to USA any easier or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Griffinx

Is there any way to avoid the 2 week self isolation after returning from Spain, like getting a test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭acequion

Thanks for the information :) would not be surprised guys if the government announce they are increasing the lockdown level from 3 to 4/5 in the next few weeks sadly.

I'd advise anybody who is able to travel to book a nice trip abroad during that period and get it booked soon. Level 5 is simply going to be a return to the awful days of March, April and May.

Go for it, don't even hesitate!! I don't understand why people would hesitate when travel has proved as safe as a trip to the supermarket. Safer. It's the guilt thing instilled in us all and it's feckin crazy.:mad:

People need to mind their mental health. And only each individual knows what's needed to feel better. I was away twice in the summer but am starting to get very down at the idea of months and months of this ahead. And very cross because there is little balance in the way the Govt is handling it.

So go and enjoy every minute!:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement