Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Irish Times

- EU bringing in mandatory PCR tests at €200 a pop for travelling to countries, if the country you're coming from has more than 25 cases per 100,000.

This is absolutely outrageous if this goes ahead. Who is going to able to afford €200 for a test!?

This has to be the final straw, heavily restricting travel like this is simply unacceptable in our so called "advanced" society

acequion wrote: »
    Go for it, don't even hesitate!! I don't understand why people would hesitate when travel has proved as safe as a trip to the supermarket. Safer. It's the guilt thing instilled in us all and it's feckin crazy.:mad:

People need to mind their mental health. And only each individual knows what's needed to feel better. I was away twice in the summer but am starting to get very down at the idea of months and months of this ahead. And very cross because there is little balance in the way the Govt is handling it.

So go and enjoy every minute!:)

You are 100% right! people should take this opportunity to travel and try and relax and get away from this endless doom and gloom.

Ireland is literally the centre of all this endless misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

RobitTV wrote: »
    [URL="https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...77745?mode=amp

EU bringing in mandatory PCR tests at €200 a pop for travelling to countries, if the country you're coming from has more than 25 cases per 100,000."]https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...77745?mode=amp[/URL]

- EU bringing in mandatory PCR tests at €200 a pop for travelling to countries, if the country you're coming from has more than 25 cases per 100,000.

This is absolutely outrageous if this goes ahead. Who is going to able to afford €200 for a test!?

This has to be the final straw, heavily restricting travel like this is simply unacceptable in our so called "advanced" society

We've been toying with the idea of heading away for a couple weeks now and will hoepfully book something in November for even just a week. Everything is doom & gloom anywhere you look and it's hard to be motivated to do anything outside work hours we're finding.

The link you posted doesn't work (at least for me), but surely they won't be able to bring this in?

We've been toying with the idea of heading away for a couple weeks now and will hoepfully book something in November for even just a week. Everything is doom & gloom anywhere you look and it's hard to be motivated to do anything outside work hours we're finding.

The link you posted doesn't work (at least for me), but surely they won't be able to bring this in?

(I can't get the link to work for some reason :confused: - Google search: Coronavirus: New fines for not wearing face masks and non-essential journeys by end of the month) - Irish Times

Irish Times i'll try again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I'm another one thinking of heading to Spain (resident in London). I'm terrified of getting coronavirus but my mental health is the absolute pits right now. I normally use travel to deal with my depression/malaise and not having been able to do it all year has taken a massive toll. Sorry if that sounds like a first world problem but I'm stuck in a tiny flat in London with no outside space. My world is so tiny, I have nowhere to go, nobody to see (my friends don't want to travel across London to meet up with anyone because of the situation) and I feel like I'm totally losing perspective on the world. I just want to do something as simple as head to the beach and see the sea, or have a beer and read a book at an outside cafe that isn't on some polluted London street.

Flights are ridiculously cheap right now - so cheap that cancelling last minute would be grand. I can quarantine for 2 weeks as I work from home anyway. It's probably the wrong time to be choosing to do this, as the weather now looks a bit dodgy on the east coast (Valencia - Alicante area) but I've just got this overwhelming urge for a change of scenery and I feel like if I don't go asap it could be another 4-5 months or more.

The flights are so cheap that it looks like demand for them is super low, so hopefully they shouldn't be busy. Am I being crazy here or would you go, in my position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭VG31

Irish Times

I can't see this happening. It would finish off what's left of the aviation and travel industries.

(I can't get the link to work for some reason :confused: - Google search: Coronavirus: New fines for not wearing face masks and non-essential journeys by end of the month) - Irish Times

Irish Times i'll try again

The one thing that sticks out to me is this and sorry if it's been done to death previously but these are new policies, etc.
    International passengers will be able to bypass quarantine requirements if they take a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests, and possibly an antigen test, when departing and entering EU States.

If agreed by Cabinet next Tuesday, passengers arriving from ‘Green’ countries (those with less than 25 Covid-19 cases per 100,000 population) will not need to quarantine nor take tests. However, for those entering and leaving orange or red countries, they will be required to take a PCR test three days before leaving the country.
    • So if Ireland is on the green list (hypothetically) and we fly to another green list country, no quarantine nor test.
    • If Ireland is on the green list and we fly to orange/red country, we'd need to take a test 3 days before leaving for Ireland? As in still on your holidays to do it. (up to €200)
    • If Ireland is not on the green list and we fly to orange/red (up to €200) country, we'd need to take a test 3 days before leaving Ireland and another test leaving for Ireland? Which could cost up to €400?

Would that be right?

I'm another one thinking of heading to Spain (resident in London). I'm terrified of getting coronavirus but my mental health is the absolute pits right now. I normally use travel to deal with my depression/malaise and not having been able to do it all year has taken a massive toll. Sorry if that sounds like a first world problem but I'm stuck in a tiny flat in London with no outside space. My world is so tiny, I have nowhere to go, nobody to see (my friends don't want to travel across London to meet up with anyone because of the situation) and I feel like I'm totally losing perspective on the world. I just want to do something as simple as head to the beach and see the sea, or have a beer and read a book at an outside cafe that isn't on some polluted London street.

Flights are ridiculously cheap right now - so cheap that cancelling last minute would be grand. I can quarantine for 2 weeks as I work from home anyway. It's probably the wrong time to be choosing to do this, as the weather now looks a bit dodgy on the east coast (Valencia - Alicante area) but I've just got this overwhelming urge for a change of scenery and I feel like if I don't go asap it could be another 4-5 months or more.

The flights are so cheap that it looks like demand for them is super low, so hopefully they shouldn't be busy. Am I being crazy here or would you go, in my position?

I'm so sorry to hear about your tough situation :( living in a small flat without any outdoor space is very tough. And living alone and not seeing people is just the worst situation to have right now after all these months of restrictions.

You should bite the bullet and go enjoy yourself abroad in Spain or anywhere else that's cheap. The weather in the Alicante region can be up and down at this time of year but i was in Alicante last year for Halloween and the weather most of the week was 24-26 degrees! :D so you might get lucky believe me.

I'm going to try and book something over the weekend, it's time that people put mental health first and try and live normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Dionaibh

VG31 wrote: »
    I can't see this happening. It would finish off what's left of the aviation and travel industries.

At risk of being called a conspiracy theorist, it's almost as if they want to destroy the aviation industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

The one thing that sticks out to me is this and sorry if it's been done to death previously but these are new policies, etc.

• So if Ireland is on the green list (hypothetically) and we fly to another green list country, no quarantine nor test.
    • If Ireland is on the green list and we fly to orange/red country, we'd need to take a test 3 days before leaving for Ireland? As in still on your holidays to do it. (up to €200)
    • If Ireland is not on the green list and we fly to orange/red (up to €200) country, we'd need to take a test 3 days before leaving Ireland and another test leaving for Ireland? Which could cost up to €400?

Would that be right?

This is what I am worried it could mean, yes.
    For us if we did decide to travel, it would potentially add €1,600 to the cost of a holiday making it unaffordable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Dionaibh wrote: »
    At risk of being called a conspiracy theorist, it's almost as if they want to destroy the aviation industry.

Green Minister?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The Valencia region, particular outside of the cities of Valencia and Alicante, is the safest part of Spain and cases are continuing to fall. Belgium took the region off their red list over a week ago.

Book that flight and go enjoy the R&R and head space. There may be a vaccine for the virus at some point in the future but there will never be a vaccine to protect our mental health. I can guarantee getting away from the media, the daily toil and doom & gloom will do you a world of wonder and you can have piece of mind knowing you are going to an area that has less risk than London.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Would that be right?

Its not going to be economically viable to do that so Im sure some compromise will made on testing costs but I do expect that there will be some cost burdening by the traveller.

Btw, €200 is at the high end for testing. In the US the test ranges from $50 to $100 and they are looking at ways at making it cheaper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Go.

You're just as likely to get it down the shops as you would if you went abroad, if the cases seem. too high for you & you're worried about the weather then I can tell you I am in Crete now, the cases are lower here than they are in Ireland & the weather is beautuful. High 20s/low 30s. Flights & accom cheap also.

Like myself I WFH so the advice to restrict movements upon return is no issue for me either.

Most importantly, you need this, it's already effecting your mental health & it will only get worse if you don't go, that's me putting it bluntly without sugar coating things.

I was mulling things over myself, I'm day 4 here now & I'm absolutely loving it & am delighted I made the decision to go.

I'm so sorry to hear about your tough situation :( living in a small flat without any outdoor space is very tough. And living alone and not seeing people is just the worst situation to have right now after all these months of restrictions.

You should bite the bullet and go enjoy yourself abroad in Spain or anywhere else that's cheap. The weather in the Alicante region can be up and down at this time of year but i was in Alicante last year for Halloween and the weather most of the week was 24-26 degrees! :D so you might get lucky believe me.

I'm going to try and book something over the weekend, it's time that people put mental health first and try and live normally.

Yeah, I feel like I should have gone last month when it was still high 20s and lovely but I didn't feel as bad then as I do now. I know myself from living over there the weather can be really up and down at this time of year but as you said it might be alright. I also feel like even doing something outside of sitting in my flat 24/7 would give me a boost. Everyone else at my work is going away for weekends in the UK but since I don't have a car, I feel like taking multiple buses and trains is as dangerous as just flying out to Spain.

Would you stay in airbnb? I feel it might be safer than a hotel due to fewer people in and out, and I could give everything a wipe down when I arrive and then forgot about it for the rest of the trip.

faceman wrote: »
    The Valencia region, particular outside of the cities of Valencia and Alicante, is the safest part of Spain and cases are continuing to fall. Belgium took the region off their red list over a week ago.

Book that flight and go enjoy the R&R and head space. There may be a vaccine for the virus at some point in the future but there will never be a vaccine to protect our mental health. I can guarantee getting away from the media, the daily toil and doom & gloom will do you a world of wonder and you can have piece of mind knowing you are going to an area that has less risk than London.

I was looking at Valencia city purely for the ease of the journey - could fly into the airport and get the metro to any of the Airbnbs I've been looking at. I don't drive so heading to Javea or any of the resort towns would require taxi or more public transport :/

The way the flights line up I'd either have to do a long weekend (Friday night to Monday night) which doesn't quite seem like enough to decompress, or Friday to Friday (which seems a bit *too* long, maybe, to be somewhere on my own).

I'm definitely leaning towards going now, but then every time I go to book, I read reports about people with 'long covid' or other awful things and think 'is it worth risking that for a few days in Spain?' on top of the annoying 14 day quarantine (which seems ludicrous given that the UK is in a worse position). As miserable as I am now, at least I mostly have my health. I hate what this awful situation is doing to us.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Go.

You're just as likely to get it down the shops as you would if you went abroad, if the cases seem. too high for you & you're worried about the weather then I can tell you I am in Crete now, the cases are lower here than they are in Ireland & the weather is beautuful. High 20s/low 30s. Flights & accom cheap also.

Like myself I WFH so the advice to restrict movements upon return is no issue for me either.

Most importantly, you need this, it's already effecting your mental health & it will only get worse if you don't go, that's me putting it bluntly without sugar coating things.

I was mulling things over myself, I'm day 4 here now & I'm absolutely loving it & am delighted I made the decision to go.

That's really good! Are you there alone or with someone else? I've looked into Greek islands (some of them don't require quarantine so that's a big plus) and my only concern really was getting around since I don't drive. Would it be easy enough to get from the airport there to where you're staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

That's really good! Are you there alone or with someone else? I've looked into Greek islands (some of them don't require quarantine so that's a big plus) and my only concern really was getting around since I don't drive. Would it be easy enough to get from the airport there to where you're staying?

Most Greek Islands are tiny so getting around couldn't be easier, just plan it out and you'll be fine.. Solo travelling is even more fun.

I'm planning on travelling solo and i will always say to people don't be afraid to travel alone. You will meet many people at the bar or restaurant to have a conversation with. Everyone will be over on holiday for the same reason as you, and people are mostly friendly and can have a good chat in the sun.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I feel like I should have gone last month when it was still high 20s and lovely but I didn't feel as bad then as I do now. I know myself from living over there the weather can be really up and down at this time of year but as you said it might be alright. I also feel like even doing something outside of sitting in my flat 24/7 would give me a boost. Everyone else at my work is going away for weekends in the UK but since I don't have a car, I feel like taking multiple buses and trains is as dangerous as just flying out to Spain.

Would you stay in airbnb? I feel it might be safer than a hotel due to fewer people in and out, and I could give everything a wipe down when I arrive and then forgot about it for the rest of the trip.

Airbnb would be perfect and you will have your own space which is even better. You should go and have a nice time abroad and it'll give you something to look forwad to and give you loads of positive thoughts moving forward.

I'm planning on travelling solo and i will always say to people don't be afraid to travel alone. You will meet many people at the bar or restaurant to have a conversation with. Everyone will be over on holiday for the same reason as you, and people are mostly friendly and can have a good chat in the sun.

Oh I've travelled solo loads and love it...it's more because of the situation right now. I wouldn't be up for staying in a hostel and hanging out with loads of random people in bars the way I normally would be. I'm thinking it would be more just a change of scenery for me...solo walks through the city or out to the beach, sitting with a coffee and a book, etc. Getting to speak Spanish for the first time in over a year (God I miss it!)

Airbnb would be perfect and you will have your own space which is even better. You should go and have a nice time abroad and it'll give you something to look forwad to and give you loads of positive thoughts moving forward.

Yep, I think I'll go ahead and book something.

What's giving me pause is the bloody quarantine thing...it's entered my head that what if there's some emergency at home in Ireland and I need to get back or something...are there exemptions for people in this situation or do you have to just ride it out?

I'm with my OH.

I have everything here that I need.

My accommodation has a pool & is right on the beach too so have the option of both.

Plenty of restaurants along a strip beside me & the old town/Chania Venetian Harbour is a 10 min walk away from me.

Airport to my accommodation was a 20 minute drive - €23 taxi.

I'm with my OH.

I have everything here that I need.

My accommodation has a pool & is right on the beach too so have the option of both.

Plenty of restaurants along a strip beside me & the old town/Chania Venetian Harbour is a 10 min walk away from me.

Airport to my accommodation was a 20 minute drive - €23 taxi.

Delighted to hear a positive story about heading away, hope you're enjoying yourself. Did you have to take a PCR test prior to flying? (if so, where did you go/cost)

It's quite crazy how I'm actually feeling somewhat guilty of booking a holiday away which is nonsense.

Delighted to hear a positive story about heading away, hope you're enjoying yourself. Did you have to take a PCR test prior to flying? (if so, where did you go/cost)

It's quite crazy how I'm actually feeling somewhat guilty of booking a holiday away which is nonsense.

The holiday shaming is so silly. My boss was saying how irresponsible and stupid it is for people to fly abroad for holidays.

She spent August doing Eat Out to Help Out, sitting inside restaurants and pubs, went to the north west of England, which is the highest rates in the UK, where she went into shops and supermarkets and regularly goes into shops and cafes in her local area in London. But somehow I'd be stupid for going on holiday to Spain after spending the entire year since March sitting in my flat. :confused:

Yep, I think I'll go ahead and book something.

What's giving me pause is the bloody quarantine thing...it's entered my head that what if there's some emergency at home in Ireland and I need to get back or something...are there exemptions for people in this situation or do you have to just ride it out?

Some people have said on here that they never even contact you afterwards to see if you are isolating at home.

In my view much of this whole system is only for show, if they really cared they would force people to isolate with strict measures and make sure they were doing it at all times. The whole situation is bizarre.

Nope.

I'm in Greece (Crete, Chania)

All I had to do was fill in the travel form online before I went, have a look at my previous posts in this thread & you'll see the craic :)

Why do you feel guilty?

What's your situation when you return? Are you WFH or can you restrict movements if needs be?

Funnily enough I had someone advise me against going, the same person was staycationing for a week in Donegal (during it being in Level 3)& a week in Kerry.

Of which cases are higher there than where I am now, make of that of what you will :pac:

Also this person can't WFH or restrict movements upon return where as I can, you couldn't write it :D

Some people have said on here that they never even contact you afterwards to see if you are isolating at home.

In my view much of this whole system is only for show, if they really cared they would force people to isolate with strict measures and make sure they were doing it at all times. The whole situation is bizarre.

Its moved on now, they text you and if you dont tick yes, they call you.

I can only speak about my group but out of 6 adults, 5 got calls

• Advertisement

Nope.

I'm in Greece (Crete, Chania)

All I had to do was fill in the travel form online before I went, have a look at my previous posts in this thread & you'll see the craic :)

Why do you feel guilty?

What's your situation when you return? Are you WFH or can you restrict movements if needs be?

Funnily enough I had someone advise me against going, the same person was staycationing for a week in Donegal (during it being in Level 3)& a week in Kerry.

Of which cases are higher there than where I am now, make of that of what you will :pac:

Also this person can't WFH or restrict movements upon return where as I can, you couldn't write it :D

We are looking at Portugal where from what I can see online, we just need to fill out a form and a temperature check. (Ryanair doesn't mention PCR test althought VisitPortugal.com does)

Guilty maybe the wrong word. The past few months everyone has been made feel irresponsible or reckless for either traveling abroad or what feels like, actually doing this that you enjoy doing. For that reason, I'll probably keep it low key I'm heading away, again strange to say that.

I can WFH yes so no issue there, my better half the same.

Portugal has less cases than Ireland I see online, so could be safer where we're going! Enjoy the break.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement