Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Yum mum 80

hi, holidays booked for 5th July to Gran canaria.(booked this last yr)...flights with aerlingus and accommodation over there all still going ahead! we can change our dates if we want wit no fee up until the 30th June...but we are unsure what to do! Irish government travel advice is the only thing putting my off going...place we go is quiet and i am not worried about quality of holiday we will have while we are there. am i the only mad cow still willing to go on holidays in July,most people i have spoke to have either taken vouchers or rebooked for next year. airport and check in ect doesn't bother me its more the "no travel advice"...cant get holiday insurance once that is there!! am i crazy in thinking that July would be actually a good time to go...less people,meaning less ques ect...as in August and September more people will be going away and wanting to fly so ques in airport and at resort will be definitely more......i wonder will travel restrictions be lifted for July...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Yum mum 80 wrote: »
    hi, holidays booked for 5th July to Gran canaria.(booked this last yr)...flights with aerlingus and accommodation over there all still going ahead! we can change our dates if we want wit no fee up until the 30th June...but we are unsure what to do! Irish government travel advice is the only thing putting my off going...place we go is quiet and i am not worried about quality of holiday we will have while we are there. am i the only mad cow still willing to go on holidays in July,most people i have spoke to have either taken vouchers or rebooked for next year. airport and check in ect doesn't bother me its more the "no travel advice"...cant get holiday insurance once that is there!! am i crazy in thinking that July would be actually a good time to go...less people,meaning less ques ect...as in August and September more people will be going away and wanting to fly so ques in airport and at resort will be definitely more......i wonder will travel restrictions be lifted for July...?

I think it's a great opportunity to go in early July. The islands are practically clear of the virus now and it is the safest time as increased tourism later in the season will mean increased risk (although I think the islands are excellently placed to keep it at bay). The planes and airports will be empty and will be extremely safe.

As for the government travel advisory and the 14 day quarantine - that is widely expected to be lifted on June 29th. Even if it was delayed slightly, it would more than likely be lifted by the time you return. Travel insurance would then be valid (bar covid incidents, but EHIC couvers that). If the travel advisory has not been lifted, Campbell Irvine Direct sell policies that cover you for that.

https://www.campbellirvinedirect.com/responsibletravel/about.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

In countries like Australia and New Zealand where the virus is really under control, pretty much all of the single digit new cases have come from international arrivals

Seems like an extremely high risk move to lift quarantine restrictions

Anyone traveling over the next 2 months are basically part of one big guinea pig experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I have booked the ferry to France for September. IF things keep going the way they are i feel it should be safe. Thoughts?

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I have booked the ferry to France for September. IF things keep going the way they are i feel it should be safe. Thoughts?

At the current downward trajectory in EU I have my eye on September/October travel too. Anything before this feels messy and/or risky

For example; it will probably take airports about 2 months to get used to these new added precautions and work out any kinks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Flying to Italy in August. Go enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Fair play to you Micky32, there are no safety guarantees but if you're waiting for those you could be waiting a while.

You can look forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Booked our summer holidays to Italy and Spain this past weekend, will spend 1 week in Italy and 2 weeks in Spain starting early August. I'm Italian and my wife Spanish and we havent seen our families since Christmas. We're staying at our own flat in Tuscany and then an Aribnb in Javea (between Valencia and Alicante). Up to a month ago we were sure to stay in Ireland for the summer but things have improved a lot - in our opinion at least - in terms of infection rates and travel policies.
    What tipped the decision was the cost though: I spent less than 1/3 of what I would usually spend in airfare, accommodation and car rental (Pisa-Valencia with Ryan was 23 euros + 25 for luggage!). If there is a second wave of infections I can cancel my AirBnB in Spain and car rentals up to 48h in advance for a full refund. The mood in the household has improved dramatically since we've had this holiday to look forward to! I understand people might have different considerations and approached to this but for us it was really important to see our relatives (parents are in the 70+ age range and really miss seeing their grandchildren) and spend some time away from the house we've been locked-up in since mid-March.
    I had explored the idea of doing 2 weeks in the south of ireland to visit the Ring of Kerry and Costal highway and honestly I would've spent a similar amount of money.
    we're booked to fly back to Ireland on the 23rd of August under the assumption/hope that the 14 quarantine will be removed. My wife and I can WFH so not an issue for us but my kids need to start school on the 27th of Aug so a bit of a gamble on that side. Fingers-crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

We (family of 5) and another family (also 5) have 16 nights in Greece, booked and paid for since Jan before all this happened. Flying out on 5th July, allegedly, Ryanair flight to Thesalonika still going by the looks of it.

Staying in a small hotel (group of bungalows).

Kinda hope it'll be cancelled, then at least the decision is taken out of our hands.......

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

Dante7 wrote: »
    I think it's a great opportunity to go in early July. The islands are practically clear of the virus now and it is the safest time as increased tourism later in the season will mean increased risk (although I think the islands are excellently placed to keep it at bay). The planes and airports will be empty and will be extremely safe.

As for the government travel advisory and the 14 day quarantine - that is widely expected to be lifted on June 29th. Even if it was delayed slightly, it would more than likely be lifted by the time you return. Travel insurance would then be valid (bar covid incidents, but EHIC couvers that). If the travel advisory has not been lifted, Campbell Irvine Direct sell policies that cover you for that.

https://www.campbellirvinedirect.com/responsibletravel/about.html

Are those policies reasonably priced? I already have pricey enough multitrip annual travel insurance but it's invalid with the current non-essential travel advisory. And where are you reading that the travel advisory will likely be lifted on June 29th?

We have to make a decision this week on whether to pay the final instalment of a family holiday in the UK in August ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

lobbylad wrote: »
    We (family of 5) and another family (also 5) have 16 nights in Greece, booked and paid for since Jan before all this happened. Flying out on 5th July, allegedly, Ryanair flight to Thesalonika still going by the looks of it.

Staying in a small hotel (group of bungalows).

Kinda hope it'll be cancelled, then at least the decision is taken out of our hands.......

Why? I'd love to be doing that. Ireland is doing well, Greece has had very few cases. I'd probably go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 galaxual

I have a holiday booked for 5-18 July in tenerife.
    Do ye think it'll be ok? I'm worried a repeat of march will happen , there will be a spike in cases and they'll shut down the island and we'll be stranded there.
    Starting to worry ill end up in a hospital in tenerife too if I get the virus myself.
    Thoughts?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

galaxual wrote: »
    I have a holiday booked for 5-18 July in tenerife.
    Do ye think it'll be ok? I'm worried a repeat of march will happen , there will be a spike in cases and they'll shut down the island and we'll be stranded there.
    Starting to worry ill end up in a hospital in tenerife too if I get the virus myself.
    Thoughts?

There won’t be a repeat of March. With the exception of Spain allowing British tourists back in, they are very much prepared and on top of things. Plus tourism will be way down this year

Then again I could think of worse countries or be stuck in should the worst case happen. :)

Aerlingus emailed me today re: my flight 5th july to gran canaria, saying that because of uncertain times.anyone with flights between 1st july to the 19th july... can either change their booking for another date( no charge), or get a voucher with an extra 10% ....No mention of my flights being cancalled!! so i rang them and was informed my flights are still going ahead...i asked why are they encouraging people to either rebook or take a voucher?? are they doing this because they know my flight will be cancelled soon and would rather me take vouchers ect instead of having to give me a refund if they cancel it..the lady on the phone did not have an answer...exactly what she said.."i cant answer that" lol...i think i will hold out til the last minute, i will definitely not be rebooking anything for the rest of this year,that is for sure,and i dont know the situation next yr yet so refund would be nicer at this stage......then i think maybe i will book a hotel in ireland for a few days...cant get over the price for a few nights for a family room......janey mackers...disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Looks like the mandatory form filling will now be extended until 9th July. Had been expected to go for phase 3.

Seems as if the current government want to leave the travel decision to the new government according to the independent.

Following talks with EU there won't be mandatory quarantine

I'm not remotely surprised. As I said in an earlier post, Ireland is very much a nanny state as the convoluted road map to the "new normal" will testify. They don't want to get rid of that ridiculous quarantine and won't until they really have to.

Many people are just getting on with making their travel plans regardless and they're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Aerlingus emailed me today re: my flight 5th july to gran canaria, saying that because of uncertain times.anyone with flights between 1st july to the 19th july... can either change their booking for another date( no charge), or get a voucher with an extra 10% ....No mention of my flights being cancalled!! so i rang them and was informed my flights are still going ahead...i asked why are they encouraging people to either rebook or take a voucher??
    I think they are doing it because there are a lot of people with flights booked (months ago, before the pandemic) with departure in early July, who don't really feel like travelling at this time, and would lose the money if they don't go.

Many of these people have posted here and/on in the travel forum.
    Am sure they would welcome this news as it means that they would no longer lose the money if they don't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

Quoting Acequion, 'Many people are just getting on with their travel plans and they're right'

Except that the gov't also don't want to get rid of that 'avoid non-essential travel' advisory. And until they do, you may not be covered by your travel insurance. The powers-that-be are trying to deter overseas travel for holiday purposes in the hope that people will staycation. Well in that event, if I am unable to get a refund on our flights, wild camping is the only staycation my family will be able to afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

ive had to book a flight back to Belfast now from England to avoid this nonsensical self isolate rubbish, jaysus just when you think this shambles of a government cant get any worse between this and the farcical only allowing people into pubs for 105 minutes

• Advertisement

otnomart wrote: »
    I think they are doing it because there are a lot of people with flights booked (months ago, before the pandemic) with departure in early July, who don't really feel like travelling at this time, and would lose the money if they don't go.

Many of these people have posted here and/on in the travel forum.
    Am sure they would welcome this news as it means that they would no longer lose the money if they don't go.

I doubt very strongly that the powers that be are even remotely worried about all the people losing money. Sure SFA has been done to help people get their refunds which they are fully entitled to.

exactly, they have reminded my at least 3 times now that vouchers or rebooking is a good idea...seems like they are thinking lets try keep this woman's money in some shape or form...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

exactly, they have reminded my at least 3 times now that vouchers or rebooking is a good idea...seems like they are thinking lets try keep this woman's money in some shape or form...

Christ, they can't win. You can fly if you want and they're also offering you the option not to if you'd like to delay. And you're still moaning. Either go or don't go.

They already have your money and won't refund it if the flight goes. You're not getting a refund.

if the flight is going ahead we are going lol....if its cancelled we will get refunded...its actually a win win situation...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I know an Irish lad and his girlfriend just arrived from New York for a two weeks holiday to Ireland!

Right now they are in a big garden party family reunion!!!!!!

I'm livid!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I know an Irish lad and his girlfriend just arrived from New York for a two weeks holiday to Ireland!

I'm livid!!!!!!

We'll be back into lockdown next week!!!!..... Joking we won't, relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

We were told that at the very least travel bubbles/corridors between countries would be announced. Where the **** are they? It's coming up to the last week of June, people need to make plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    I understand people might have different considerations and approached to this but for us it was really important to see our relatives (parents are in the 70+ age range and really miss seeing their grandchildren) and spend some time away from the house we've been locked-up in since mid-March.
    I

So you're flying, in a confined space, with strangers, and then visiting people over 70? Be prepared for them to have changed the locks and waving to you from a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

IrishHomer wrote: »

I'm livid!!!!!!

I don't blame you. Just avoid that family for a few weeks. Some people just don't have very many brain cells. One of our neighbours opened a back garden bar for their kids' friends and were reported (not by me, only heard about it after the event). The culprits were treated to a serious chat with the gardai. So if you're seriously concerned or they are breaching guidelines, no harm to have a chat with the gards for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dubl07 wrote: »
    So you're flying, in a confined space, with strangers, and then visiting people over 70? Be prepared for them to have changed the locks and waving to you from a window.

Why? What scientific evidence do you have that is contrary to the ECDC guidance on EU air travel?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement