Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Shovel70

I am back from Crete since Saturday and this is second text I have had to check that I am residing at the address I supplied. They asked me to confirm that I am still at that address in the link provided...there was no link provided...this was what was in the link...which does not look like recommendations for restricted movements...

Current Health Advice in Ireland
    Whilst you are in Ireland you are required to follow the public health advice below.

You should:

wash your hands regularly and thoroughly.
    observe good cough and sneeze etiquette.
    maintain social distancing - keep 2 metres apart from people.
    wear a face covering if you are using public transport. This is the law - you may be fined or refused entry if you don't wear one.
    wear a face covering if you are in a public place like in shops or in shopping centres. This is the law.
    only use public transport for essential journeys - walk or cycle instead, if you can.
    avoid crowded places as much as possible - leave a location if social distancing becomes difficult.
    Please ensure that you are familiar with, and follow, the current public health advice in Ireland. This will help protect our country from further impact of COVID-19.

If you experience any symptoms of COVID-19 while in Ireland, please stay indoors, self-isolate immediately, avoid contact with other people, and contact a doctor.

For help finding a doctor in Ireland, see https://www2.hse.ie/services/find-a-gp/ or call the national health service (HSE Live) 1850 24 1850. The HSE Live phone line is open Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm and on Saturday from 10am to 5pm.

Please also download Ireland's COVID Tracker App, through the Apple Store or Google Play. The App helps to trace people who have been in contact with someone who later tests positive for COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Hoping to go to germany next month and wondering does anyone know what are restrictions on getting in there?
    The current rules when coming from a risk area (eg, Dublin, probably very soon all of ireland) is that you have 14 day quarantine BUT you can avoid that with a test, either taken 48 hours before, or on arrival, which should be free when coming from a risk area.

Come the 1st of november the plan is that it changes to 5 days quarantine and THEN a test, which is a more robust strategy as you might be only in the very initial stages of an infection on arrival and after 5 days, if you're infected then it should be detectable - or you are dying in bed.

Anyhow, theres a big meeting today where that and everything else may change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

faceman wrote: »
    Secondly, while Member States can still decide what restrictive measures they apply such as quarantine or tests, we call on Member States to ensure that citizens are given clear and timely information about what they must do

Thats us fooked so....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

lukas8888 wrote: »
    i am reading references to the canary islands requiring covid test for tourist arrivals.The test has to be taken 48 hours before arrival.No mention of it on the
    Spain travel health app,or when it's starting.Has anyone any knowledge of this.

This is being discussed think the airport group AENA are saying no.

I've a problem with testing before and on arrival, too many questions regards chances of false positives or god forbid you do get a genuine positive.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread too, if a customers money is on the line with a chance of losing it with no chance of recovery thru insurance etc.
    would you risk it, I'm not going to give O'Leary lets say for a family of 4 e1500 for flights to Lanza and another 2k for a nice apartment all paid for before travel, to then test positve 48hrs or on the day in the airport, and see your hard earned cash disappear ! as you are sent home, Most reasonable people wont do it, I dont know what the solution is but for me
    personally its risky, do you quarantine for 2 weeks before you travel to be sure you can travel??

Cant see insurance playing ball with paying out as easily spread and caught, I travelled this summer but money was already paid out, I've deposit (e200) on same accomodation for next summer but will be holding on flights till it plays out over winter and what may or may not happen

forgot too add too, lets say you've a nice AI or Villa pre paid for and you arrive and they test + and stick you in some dump for two weeks quarantine and all paid for accomadation floats down the swanny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Hoping to go to germany next month and wondering does anyone know what are restrictions on getting in there?

Depends where you are going

Germany is made up of States and each state have its own restrictions.

They dont have blanket restrictions.

Cork29 wrote: »
    1500 for flights go onto O’Learys website please. You can book a return ticket for 60 euro a pop/

they are now, I'm talking about peak normal pre covid flights for 4 to Lanza
    would run the range of anywhere 1200 - 1700 from SNN

been often enough

Yes that is my point travel is cheap till after post covid there is no risk with 60 euro flight. Book away

e1811.00 for our dates for next year :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Space Dog wrote: »
    Quick question: I filled in the Irish Passenger Locator Form online and got an e-mail, but I can't find a QR code or something like that. Should I have gotten one in that mail or is it just my name and details they'll be checking at Dublin Airport?

You'll receive an email with the QR code the night before you fly at about 10PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

BobMc wrote: »
    This is being discussed think the airport group AENA are saying no.

I've a problem with testing before and on arrival, too many questions regards chances of false positives or god forbid you do get a genuine positive.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread too, if a customers money is on the line with a chance of losing it with no chance of recovery thru insurance etc.
    would you risk it, I'm not going to give O'Leary lets say for a family of 4 e1500 for flights to Lanza and another 2k for a nice apartment all paid for before travel, to then test positve 48hrs or on the day in the airport, and see your hard earned cash disappear ! as you are sent home, Most reasonable people wont do it, I dont know what the solution is but for me
    personally its risky, do you quarantine for 2 weeks before you travel to be sure you can travel??

Cant see insurance playing ball with paying out as easily spread and caught, I travelled this summer but money was already paid out, I've deposit (e200) on same accomodation for next summer but will be holding on flights till it plays out over winter and what may or may not happen

Thank you for that,yes i see where AENA are refusing to cooperate with testing at airport,but the Uk Independent and the Sun newspaper printed a story on Monday stating that a covid test clearance is required for travel to the canaries.I see no reference to it on any official site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

DVDM93 wrote: »
    You'll receive an email with the QR code the night before you fly at about 10PM.

Not for the Irish one you won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Shovel70

DVDM93 wrote: »
    That is for Greece.
    The Irish PLF do not send a QR code. They email a PLF Receipt which is what you need to show at Passport Control on arrival to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

That’s the issue though- there’s a lot of people who book their trips months and months in advance for various reasons. I’m one of those people and it’s completely irrelevant whether there’s green lists or green traffic lights the issue remains that there’s zero certainty anymore. I know naturally there was always some unexpected event that could happen but that’s where travel insurance kicked in. It’s impossible anymore to make plans and actually look forward to a trip as there’s a very real possibility it may never happen.
    Forget about next year you are talking about 10 months away.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Seems Wales and the UK are putting restrictions in place but I still don't see any for travelling from Southern Ireland to North Wales (Holyhead) on the Ferry. Looks like I'll still be travelling unless I hear or read any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Guys, I'm looking to do a couple of days away solo. Seems that Greece is the best option? But I'm seeing something about an EU meeting today that may mean nowhere is a handy option anymore? Available to go next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭larchielads

Have poland booked for last week of the month, hopin we agree to the traffic light system and get the all clear

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Guys, I'm looking to do a couple of days away solo. Seems that Greece is the best option? But I'm seeing something about an EU meeting today that may mean nowhere is a handy option anymore? Available to go next week.

Go for it:

https://greekcitytimes.com/2020/10/14/greece-extends-travel-restrictions-until-october-25/

Currently in Mykonos. Gorgeous weather, and very quiet, hardly any tourists. I got tested at airport (2 second swab down throat). With direct flights to islands and very cheap accommodation, I would recommend it. Lots of places closing up at end of October, so next week would be a good time to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Just go. Great for your health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Ah lads. Not liking the sound of this. Due to fly back on Monday from Germany, stay two days in Dublin, and then to my mum’s in the West for three days, and then back again to Germany.

Really want to see my folks. As mentioned before, my dad isn’t very well, but every day the news is getting worse! Head is melted!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

SnowyMay wrote: »
    Ah lads. Not liking the sound of this. Due to fly back on Monday from Germany, stay two days in Dublin, and then to my mum’s in the West for three days, and then back again to Germany.

Really want to see my folks. As mentioned before, my dad isn’t very well, but every day the news is getting worse! Head is melted!!

Sounds like essential travel to me to see your parents

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

If it was me I'd do it and I'd see it is as essential journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

You are coming from a place which has a lower level of infection. Personally I would travel in your circumstances although would probably visit parents first and then Dublin after. Would avoid public transport if possible but I understand the inter city buses and trains are pretty quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Thanks guys. So, my dad is in Dublin, and Mum down Whest, but I honestly didn’t know what responses I would get, so, that’s my mind slightly less melted. For now!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Well my hopes of getting to Spain have been dashed. With the increasing restrictions and likelihood of lockdown both there and here, my work asked me to please not travel in case I end up getting stuck there. My friends over in Valencia have also said it's not a great time and they all sound miserable and fed up. :(

Bit gutting as the weather actually looks nice next week, which is when I was going to go. Learned my lesson about striking while the iron is hot - should have got over to Spain or Italy in September. I haven't totally given up on the idea but I will probably hold off for the time being and not go next week now. :( God I hope things are better by spring..not much more of this I can take.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement