Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

My 75 yr old Parents (both great health, no medical conditions) are asking me to book flights and villa in Lanzarote. They go to the Canaries twice a year for 2 weeks avoiding a month of Irish winter.

They reckons he is as safe over there as he is here- Fly out, rent a car, travel to villa and basically be in lockdown over there bar the odd trip for shopping, stroll by the sea, cup of coffee (neither of them drink). He actually reckons they'd stay for a month or more if they feel it suits them.

I've no problem booking them up but my sister is doing her nut basically saying its irresponsible.

I could agree with her if they had to mix with others on their return but they would basically be locked up in their own house anyway.

Any thoughts?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

My 75 yr old Parents (both great health, no medical conditions) are asking me to book flights and villa in Lanzarote. They go to the Canaries twice a year for 2 weeks avoiding a month of Irish winter.

They reckons he is as safe over there as he is here- Fly out, rent a car, travel to villa and basically be in lockdown over there bar the odd trip for shopping, stroll by the sea, cup of coffee (neither of them drink). He actually reckons they'd stay for a month or more if they feel it suits them.

I've no problem booking them up but my sister is doing her nut basically saying its irresponsible.

I could agree with her if they had to mix with others on their return but they would basically be locked up in their own house anyway.

Any thoughts?

Tell them to enjoy the holiday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Well my hopes of getting to Spain have been dashed. With the increasing restrictions and likelihood of lockdown both there and here, my work asked me to please not travel in case I end up getting stuck there. My friends over in Valencia have also said it's not a great time and they all sound miserable and fed up. :(

Bit gutting as the weather actually looks nice next week, which is when I was going to go. Learned my lesson about striking while the iron is hot - should have got over to Spain or Italy in September. I haven't totally given up on the idea but I will probably hold off for the time being and not go next week now. :( God I hope things are better by spring..not much more of this I can take.

Sorry to hear that, I remember your post from a few days back & was hoping you'd get going.

Hope it all works out for you one way or another whatever happens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Well my hopes of getting to Spain have been dashed. With the increasing restrictions and likelihood of lockdown both there and here, my work asked me to please not travel in case I end up getting stuck there. My friends over in Valencia have also said it's not a great time and they all sound miserable and fed up. :(

Bit gutting as the weather actually looks nice next week, which is when I was going to go. Learned my lesson about striking while the iron is hot - should have got over to Spain or Italy in September. I haven't totally given up on the idea but I will probably hold off for the time being and not go next week now. :( God I hope things are better by spring..not much more of this I can take.

The Valencia region is the best performing region in Spain and once you leave the Cory the rates in the vast majority of areas and even lower again. The trend continues downward.

Schools remain open, bars and restaurants are open with some restrictions.

PM me if you’d like further insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Depends what part of Spain. Can't see all of Spain in lockdown. Mostly cities and very badly affected areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

faceman wrote: »
    The Valencia region is the best performing region in Spain and once you leave the Cory the rates in the vast majority of areas and even lower again. The trend continues downward.

Schools remain open, bars and restaurants are open with some restrictions.

PM me if you’d like further insight.

Yep, I think my friends there just don't realise how bad it is here. To be honest, it's here I'm more concerned about, having to take the tube and a train out to the airport and whatnot...mask compliance here is awful. I personally can't see Spain going for a national lockdown, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Depends what part of Spain. Can't see all of Spain in lockdown. Mostly cities and very badly affected areas.

To be honest, I'm hoping the UK takes Spain off its stupid quarantine list soon enough. It's ludicrous to make people quarantine when coming back from a place which is far LESS affected than here! I really dislike the idea of not being able to go out for long walks or out for a pint outside a pub, or to a gathering with friends if one is organised, or to a medical appointment, for two whole weeks, just because I spent a few days in Alicante.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

If you live with someone who’s restricting their movements, what does that mean? I saw a lot of people saying they restrict for ten days but gov.ie say fourteen. Do we treat them like they’re self-isolating or are they allowed move around the house while we’re there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Has anyone flown in the last few days? Travelling via public transport from another county to Dublin Airport?

Were you asked any questions?

Flying to Krakow on Sunday. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭acequion

Ryanair pulling their bases in Cork and Shannon for the winter is a big blow to those of us in the far south.:( But I'm not one bit surprised. I heard April mentioned on the 9 o clock news tonight but someone said earlier that they had heard March. Easter will be the last week of March to first week of April and it's when I'm hoping to travel next and that far away is a marathon for me as I'm normally travelling frequently.

Does anyone know any more of when they plan to come back to those airports?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

If you live with someone who’s restricting their movements, what does that mean? I saw a lot of people saying they restrict for ten days but gov.ie say fourteen. Do we treat them like they’re self-isolating or are they allowed move around the house while we’re there?

It means feck all.

There is no legal requirement for them tú du anything, so if they decide to be a bit more careful that's great, if not, no panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭larchielads

Has anyone flown in the last few days? Travelling via public transport from another county to Dublin Airport?

Were you asked any questions?

Flying to Krakow on Sunday. Thanks
    Apparently krakow is near full lock down very limited on things to do as I understand, I'm open to correction.

I'm also interested as I'm flying there on the 23rd 50/50 on whether to go or not.

If u do go pm me how u got on if u don't mind, it'd be much appreciated. Or let us all know. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Apparently krakow is near full lock down very limited on things to do as I understand, I'm open to correction.

I'm also interested as I'm flying there on the 23rd 50/50 on whether to go or not.

If u do go pm me how u got on if u don't mind, it'd be much appreciated. Or let us all know. Thank you

Living in Krakow. As of tomorrow we are officially a red zone so that means the pubs nd restaurants are only open to 9 after that it's takeaway only and there is reduced capacity. Gyms and pools are shut nationwide as well. So it's quite restrictive now but not as bad as home for eating out etc. Masks are required at all times even outdoors. No talk of closing borders yet from what I can gather but it's a distinct possibility later in the year as Poland were the first to close them in March.

Hope that helps ye and pm me if ye have question.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Well, as we're back in semi-lockdown with all the concerns about the psychological impact, just about every day I reflect how wise we were personally to defy the hysteria and travel in the summer. At the start of July when there were lots of calls to close borders you would have struggled to find anywhere in Europe with even one-tenth of Ireland's current infection rate.

With the benefit of hindsight it looks like it all came from NPHET trying to bounce the government into an unrealistic zero-Covid plan. Lots of people missed out on a chance to get away and switch off or see family between the two lockdowns by being good citizens and following their lead, but thankfully I wasn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Any thoughts?

They should just go if they really are going to be really on their own over there. The sun and a break from the depressing news will do them the world of good. Sounds to me that they NEED this trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Wallander wrote: »
    Well, as we're back in semi-lockdown with all the concerns about the psychological impact, just about every day I reflect how wise we were personally to defy the hysteria and travel in the summer. At the start of July when there were lots of calls to close borders you would have struggled to find anywhere in Europe with even one-tenth of Ireland's current infection rate.

With the benefit of hindsight it looks like it all came from NPHET trying to bounce the government into an unrealistic zero-Covid plan. Lots of people missed out on a chance to get away and switch off or see family between the two lockdowns by being good citizens and following their lead, but thankfully I wasn't one.

It’ll be interesting to see do these righteous people double down in their devotion to listening to the experts simply to save face (‘Imagine how bad the figures would be if we all went away in the summer?!‘) or do they use it to admit they’ve been had.

I’d say the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

3xh wrote: »
    It’ll be interesting to see do these righteous people double down in their devotion to listening to the experts simply to save face (‘Imagine how bad the figures would be if we all went away in the summer?!‘) or do they use it to admit they’ve been had.

I’d say the former.

They might say the former but it appears it should be the latter:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/risk-covid-19-exposure-planes-virtually-nonexistent-masked/story?id=73616599

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭embraer170

The whole of Ireland has now been added to Germany's red list (mandatory test or quarantine). Hotels in most areas will not accept you without a negative test result.

Free testing on arrival, but you will be waiting for a result (a day or more).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

embraer170 wrote: »
    The whole of Ireland has now been added to Germany's red list (mandatory test or quarantine). Hotels in most areas will not accept you without a negative test result.
    Free testing on arrival, but you will be waiting for a result (a day or more).

Where are you supposed to stay for a day or more while you await the results of the test upon arrival?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭VG31

Germany might as well declare the whole of Europe a risk area at this stage.

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Where are you supposed to stay for a day or more while you await the results of the test upon arrival?

You have the option of arriving with a negative test result (carried out less than 48hrs before arrival)

You have the option of arriving with a negative test result (carried out less than 48hrs before arrival)

We know that, just wondering where you got the info about hotels not accepting bookings without a negative test result, link?

On the site it says: "No compulsory testing is planned. People not consenting to testing within 14 days of entering the country from a risk area after having been requested to do so must expect to pay a fine."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Wallander wrote: »

On the other hand, if fewer people were as selfish as you then Ireland's infection rate would not be as high as it is now and the rest of us who did our part wouldn't be facing another lockdown because of you.

Tenzor07 wrote: »

So you've said, and if you can't get a test then what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭acequion

quokula wrote: »
    On the other hand, if fewer people were as selfish as you then Ireland's infection rate would not be as high as it is now and the rest of us who did our part wouldn't be facing another lockdown because of you.

I don't believe that we're still listening to such total and utter horseshyt!! It's been well and truly proved by now that foreign travel has resulted in a tiny fraction of cases yet you still have idiots still banging this drum!

Go and read up a little on the main sources of transmission before you go making ignorant assumptions! Or take a look in the mirror before calling people selfish!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mike222

It's ignorance, pure and simple. Touching on arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

I arrived in Italy 6 hours ago and will stay here for at least two weeks. Its more a mental health break then anything to be honest and I am here with friends to work for a few days and then enjoy a week and and half off. If it goes to level 5 in Ireland while i am here I'll probably **** off somewhere else with a lower infection rate.

quokula wrote: »

:D:D:D:D!!!

Really ? All I can do is laugh at this .
    I flew to UK 3 weeks ago . Being in the airport and on board a plane was the safest I’ve felt since March !
    Airports are absolutely dead.....and pristine .
    Everyone wears masks from the moment they go inside the door of the airport till they walk out the terminal door on the other side. Hepa air filters on planes , cleaner air than Dunnes stores and Lidl by far.
    I stayed in Airbnb in Uk while visiting a family member .
    I’m delighted I did it and only wish I’d flown more during summer ! I’m home, I didn’t get Covid.

Well done to anyone who followed travelled and used common sense rather than following the current mass hysteria

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

That rules out getting your test done in Ireland before you leave so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement