Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

faceman wrote: »
    That rules out getting your test done in Ireland before you leave so
    We were promised testing at Dublin and Cork airports by mid-October. Where is it?
    Not having airport testing is a deliberate attempt by government to stop people traveling overseas; many times to areas with lower Covid numbers than Ireland. Having testing at the airports would facilitate a system of safe travel in and out of the country, and it would also limit the enormous financial carnage that is now happening to many Irish industries. It is certainly a strange approach by government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Kivaro wrote: »
    We were promised testing at Dublin and Cork airports by mid-October. Where is it?
    Not having airport testing is a deliberate attempt by government to stop people traveling overseas; many times to areas with lower Covid numbers than Ireland. Having testing at the airports would facilitate a system of safe travel in and out of the country, and it would also limit the enormous financial carnage that is now happening to many Irish industries. It is certainly a strange approach by government.

Well, you only have to look at who the Minister for Transport is..

Ireland has done nothing over the Summer to support the aviation/travel sector, while other countries brought in testing and had clear policies on travel all we had here was a DeFacto blanket travel ban...
    Who wants to do business on an Island with limited connectivity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Apparently krakow is near full lock down very limited on things to do as I understand, I'm open to correction.

I'm also interested as I'm flying there on the 23rd 50/50 on whether to go or not.

If u do go pm me how u got on if u don't mind, it'd be much appreciated. Or let us all know. Thank you

Im flying tomorrow. Poland is in yellow zone but krakow has moved to red, but this means bars and restaurants shut at 9pm and max 6 at a table. Everything else opened. All museums exhibitions and tours etc all still on.

Ill let u know what it's like when I arrive tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭VG31

The only good thing about the de facto travel ban is that foreign travel can't be blamed for the rise in cases.

VG31 wrote: »
    The only good thing about the de facto travel ban is that foreign travel can't be blamed for the rise in cases.

Don't worry, someone will be along in a moment to oppose that statement...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

VG31 wrote: »

Ye reckon? All the fingerwaggers will go 'can ye imagine how bad it would be if we had allowed travel?'

Meanwhile Greece that has been accepting 1000s of air travellers all through this now has one of the lowest rates of infection in Europe. In fact, Crete has just been greenlisted by the UK with rates of less than 25 per 100,000 and would be on our green list had the govenment chosen to categorise by region instead of country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

We were in Crete a couple of weeks ago. Despite being open for tourists since July, and there were plenty of those, they had no cases for the 2 weeks during our time there. They had very few cases at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

acequion wrote: »
    I don't believe that we're still listening to such total and utter horseshyt!! It's been well and truly proved by now that foreign travel has resulted in a tiny fraction of cases yet you still have idiots still banging this drum!

Go and read up a little on the main sources of transmission before you go making ignorant assumptions! Or take a look in the mirror before calling people selfish!

Indeed, the time for quarantines was back when this was actually containable - in February or March, at the latest. All these travel bans and measures are a bit pathetic, especially here in the UK. Who really cares if somewhere has 19 cases per 100,000 and somewhere else has 21? It's totally missing the point, which is that the virus is now firmly established everywhere in Europe.

It's especially comical that the UK is doing incredibly badly, and is still insisting on quarantining people coming from much safer places. So I can't go to Valencia where I'd be outside the entire time without staying at home for two weeks on my return, but it's perfectly fine to sit in a busy, poorly ventilated pub in a borough of London that has a higher rate of Covid than the entire Valencia region. Yeah, brilliant logic.

Millionaire T.D for Fine Failure earns his huge salary and benefits by telling us what we already know... "We need to open up travel"

https://www.thejournal.ie/travel-industry-open-robert-troy-5236248-Oct2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

None of this makes sense. Irish people not allowed travel out of county yet Spanish tourists and lots of other EU tourists still allowed fly in. Odd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

None of this makes sense. Irish people not allowed travel out of county yet Spanish tourists and lots of other EU tourists still allowed fly in. Odd!

Yeah but they aren't flying in though. I live in Galway which is normally crawling with them and its deserted. Numbers have dropped to about 10% of what they usually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

faceman wrote: »
    That rules out getting your test done in Ireland before you leave so

Is there not companies doing private tests in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I have a question, don't know if anyone can help me here. My son's fiance is from Mexico and he hasn't seen her since last Christmas because she was due to come in March just as the first lockdown happened. She really wants to come over now and flights are going but when she called the embassy she was told only essential workers are allowed.

I don't believe this is true, as I haven't heard of anyone been refused entry to Ireland.

Do you guys think it's worth the risk of booking the flights? Have you heard of anyone been refused entry?

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I have a question, don't know if anyone can help me here. My son's fiance is from Mexico and he hasn't seen her since last Christmas because she was due to come in March just as the first lockdown happened. She really wants to come over now and flights are going but when she called the embassy she was told only essential workers are allowed.

I don't believe this is true, as I haven't heard of anyone been refused entry to Ireland.

Do you guys think it's worth the risk of booking the flights? Have you heard of anyone been refused entry?

She should just come. I don't understand why she didn't travel in July Aug and September when things were quite relaxed after the first severe lockdown. Lots of people were moving about then and travelling/flying. My daughter and her husband returned home to Ireland from Vancouver in July. I hope she makes it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

pinkyeye wrote: »

Aside from usual immigration procedures your son’s fiancée is highly unlikely to be stopped on the grounds of covid.

A campaign called “love is not tourism” kicked off some months ago across Europe for scenarios such as your son’s. And as you’d expect in a shithole like Ireland, it wasn’t adopted or even acknowledged it.

I would very much consider your son’s and his fiancée’s scenario as essential travel

https://www.loveisnottourism.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Wrote earlier in the thread. Got away in July but won't be going anywhere until late Spring. Looking so forward to it. Its giving me the lifefuel as we go into these winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Our Government scared many people from visiting family in the summer abroad, as well as a vendetta against the pubs. Ryan is a disaster as Minister. Martin only concerned with schools. I am glad we went to England safely in August despite peer pressure. We are now way worse than many countries due to laughable Garda non enforcement. Too much was left to September. School, universities, communions, county finals. Too much panic now. Why NPHET and Govt can not communicate privately without leaks, I cannot understand. Meet every 3 weeks, cease the daily funereal RTE broadcasts instead of twice weekly panics.Letter writing is an old medical practice. Here in Donegal, move to level 4 has only closed hairdressers and businesses. No proper border checkpoints still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

So Taoiseach Micheál Martin on Friday acknowledged that some European countries were “moving faster on antigen testing” than Ireland. These blood tests cost between €5 to €10, and are available in France without prescription in pharmacies. They are used in German and other airports around Europe with results available in just 15 minutes. It is mind boggling that the Irish government are so slow to act with these tests, which would allow the Irish public to escape the drab and dreary winter months in order to get respite in places with lower Covid numbers and with an abundance of sunshine.
    Mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Kivaro wrote: »
    So Taoiseach Micheál Martin on Friday acknowledged that some European countries were “moving faster on antigen testing” than Ireland. These blood tests cost between €5 to €10, and are available in France without prescription in pharmacies. They are used in German and other airports around Europe with results available in just 15 minutes. It is mind boggling that the Irish government are so slow to act with these tests, which would allow the Irish public to escape the drab and dreary winter months in order to get respite in places with lower Covid numbers and with an abundance of sunshine.
    Mind boggling.

The conspiracy theorist in me would have me thinking there’s not as much money in those tests than there is in the vaccines. It’s too late now to ditch the agreements with pharmaceuticals, of which Ireland has many with the related employee levels, in favour of this cheaper alternative.

So just effectively ban international travel to/from Ireland.

Maybe it’s more to do with the fact Ireland’s test and trace program is maxed out as it is and can’t deal with a greater opening up of society moving around on buses, cars, taxis to and from the airport and related tourist attractions, etc.

Either way, it’s been shown there’s an alternative to our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

My 75 yr old Parents (both great health, no medical conditions) are asking me to book flights and villa in Lanzarote. They go to the Canaries twice a year for 2 weeks avoiding a month of Irish winter.

They reckons he is as safe over there as he is here- Fly out, rent a car, travel to villa and basically be in lockdown over there bar the odd trip for shopping, stroll by the sea, cup of coffee (neither of them drink). He actually reckons they'd stay for a month or more if they feel it suits them.

I've no problem booking them up but my sister is doing her nut basically saying its irresponsible.

I could agree with her if they had to mix with others on their return but they would basically be locked up in their own house anyway.

Any thoughts?

Well just spoke to my folks who are in the Airport about to board a three quarter full plane to the Canaries, have to say I'm pretty jealous- if schools get closed I'll be joining them.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I found a fantastic price for a two weeks in Tenerife in November. I have been doing my research these past few days and i am going to book this today.

A nice two weeks in the sun, a world away from the doom and gloom of hysterical Ireland.

Get your flights books folks so you'll have something to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

What's this about RyanAir cancelling their Dublin to Alicante route?

Even in these times it's sure one of their busiest Spanish routes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭larchielads

RobitTV wrote: »
    I found a fantastic price for a two weeks in Tenerife in November. I have been doing my research these past few days and i am going to book this today.

A nice two weeks in the sun, a world away from the doom and gloom of hysterical Ireland.

Get your flights books folks so you'll have something to look forward to.
    Would i need a negative test or isolate when i get there if i were to book for next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Well just spoke to my folks who are in the Airport about to board a three quarter full plane to the Canaries, have to say I'm pretty jealous- if schools get closed I'll be joining them.

I know someone just back from lanzarote. Had a lovely week in the sun. Had their own villa with a pool. You have to wear a mask everywhere there (including walking outdoors) and if you don’t there are on the spot fines. Most restaurants and bars are shut but there are a few open. Flight was mostly empty on the way over but a little busier on the way back. They loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

votecounts wrote: »

Strange how he’s been blamed for each of the alleged cases.

Then again, it’s an Indo article on behalf of NPHET with a clear point to be made as we settle in for a rough 2 months. He’s just collateral.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    What's this about RyanAir cancelling their Dublin to Alicante route?

Even in these times it's sure one of their busiest Spanish routes

It’s not cancelled from Dublin. They’ve reduced it to 3 days a week in October and twice a week in November and December. It used to be daily all year round.

Cork and Shannon is cancelled

3xh wrote: »
    Strange how he’s been blamed for each of the alleged cases. Then again, it’s an Indo article on behalf of NPHET with a clear point to be made as we settle in for a rough 2 months. He’s just collateral.

The example of a single person who came back from travel is being pasted all over Irish media this morning to ensure that any of those thinking of traveling are shamed into staying by their peers, workmates and families...

Like you say above, another NPHET pushed story to keep up the Irish Travel Ban...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

3xh wrote: »
    Strange how he’s been blamed for each of the alleged cases.

Then again, it’s an Indo article on behalf of NPHET with a clear point to be made as we settle in for a rough 2 months. He’s just collateral.
    Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The example of a single person who came back from travel is being pasted all over Irish media this morning to ensure that any of those thinking of traveling are shamed into staying by their peers, workmates and families...

Like you say above, another NPHET pushed story to keep up the Irish Travel Ban...

Responses straight from the Trump school of PR. Deny, deflect and disparage.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Having read the article I will guess they live in a caravan or an open plan studio. I'l guess caravan. I'd further guess this happens regularly in a west Limerick town.

Moving on from that, If the Travel industry was up in Court charged with being at fault for this, im sure the barrister would have an easy job convincing the jury that its innocent. Unless Ryanair held him down and infected him with a syringe in his seat. The point being these cretins could get covid19 anywhere local and would behave the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement