Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

3xh wrote: »
    Strange how he’s been blamed for each of the alleged cases.

Then again, it’s an Indo article on behalf of NPHET with a clear point to be made as we settle in for a rough 2 months. He’s just collateral.

He didn't restrict his movements at all. Collateral my hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The example of a single person who came back from travel is being pasted all over Irish media this morning to ensure that any of those thinking of traveling are shamed into staying by their peers, workmates and families...

Like you say above, another NPHET pushed story to keep up the Irish Travel Ban...

agreed, actually i call bs on this article, more fake news/scaremongeting

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Sam Hain wrote: »
    He didn't restrict his movements at all. Collateral my hole.

Sam, what country did he fly in from?

Have you a view on the actions of the woman who felt unwell, got tested, returned positive but didn’t isolate while awaiting the result? You’re aware she infected some of those 56, yes? And so whatever that number is is actually notified as close contact as per HSE definition. And not ‘travel related’ which is what the Indo are doing here to increase the rage/hysteria/fear/click-baitability to drive revenue through their site.

Don’t fall for it, if it’s not too late already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

None of this makes sense. Irish people not allowed travel out of county yet Spanish tourists and lots of other EU tourists still allowed fly in. Odd!

Is it law? Or is it just advice, to not travel outside County?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Is it law? Or is it just advice, to not travel outside County?

It's just advice right now. No law about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The example of a single person who came back from travel is being pasted all over Irish media this morning to ensure that any of those thinking of traveling are shamed into staying by their peers, workmates and families...

Like you say above, another NPHET pushed story to keep up the Irish Travel Ban...

The Spindo, IT, RTE, NPHET and politicians can all relax as there's only a week left of the summer schedule, or what passed as a summer schedule. From the end of the month most flights out of Ireland to sun destinations will be finished for the winter. ALL holiday flights in the case of Shannon and Cork.

There clearly could have been a lot more of summer for aviation than the one we had. If only we elected leaders instead of glorified career county councillors. They've done nothing for aviation, provided no leadership and basically made no decisions beyond the locator forms and 14 day isolation. The airport operators were crying out for several months now for a decision on the traffic light system and methods of pre departure testing and have heard nothing back but guff. They would have at least have expected a decision before Ryanair's well publicized deadline of last week but nothing..
    And fcuk the media for as usual, towing the line without a whisper of Independent critical thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Acosta wrote: »
    From the end of the month most flights out of Ireland to sun destinations will be finished for the winter. ALL holiday flights in the case of Shannon and Cork. .

Yeap, true, it will be April 2021 before the Summer flight season starts again..

Capacity is slashed all across the Ryanair network, and probably other operators too.
    Where 7 flights a week to some destination there will be 2 a week and the costs will be double or more also.

What some people don't think about is that after January 1st when the UK leave the EU, it means Ireland is that little green rock on the far side of a non EU country without a proper travel policy and with very limited connectivity...Ireland will be starting from very difficult position to try and benefit from any upswing in Business/tourism travel once there's a vaccine etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Anybody thinking of a holiday in Sweden? Would be a nice break from lockdown

If we go to level 5 I'm definitely travelling! I'll be out of here for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Anybody thinking of a holiday in Sweden? Would be a nice break from lockdown
    Sweden is slowly reversing its relaxed course on this: https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-sweden-anti-lockdown-new-restrictions-cases-rise-1540243

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rocky1813

I’m sure this question has been asked before but if you’re travelling to Spain am I right in thinking that all you need is the FCS form which you complete online. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get the QR code. For example if I filled out the form today would I have the code for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 321123

IQO wrote: »
    What it is all about is that the local counties will be able to recommend that people avoid crowded places, public transportation or nightclubs.

Currently it is the county of Uppsala that has a big university (Sweden's largest I think) that is interested in officially recommending that people and student societies don't host parties. Potentially that bars/clubs need to close earlier.

Highly exaggerated that Sweden is moving towards some kind of lockdown. I live in Sweden so I do know... Currently they don't even recommend facemasks.

They've time after time promised the people here that the restrictions and recommendations overall will stay consistent and be understandable. Not like the Irish that have changed pretty much two times a week now since June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

If we go to level 5 I'm definitely travelling! I'll be out of here for a couple of months.

Thinking the same but where would you go to? Trying to find information on the requirements to enter either Germany or Spain 🀔

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

If we go to level 5 I'm definitely traveling! I'll be out of here for a couple of months.

I'm climbing the walls today and thinking the same

To where though? Maybe Spain? Some areas have a tenth of Ireland's positivity rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭I see sheep

321123 wrote: »
    What it is all about is that the local counties will be able to recommend that people avoid crowded places, public transportation or nightclubs.

Currently it is the county of Uppsala that has a big university (Sweden's largest I think) that is interested in officially recommending that people and student societies don't host parties. Potentially that bars/clubs need to close earlier.

Highly exaggerated that Sweden is moving towards some kind of lockdown. I live in Sweden so I do know... Currently they don't even recommend facemasks.

They've time after time promised the people here that the restrictions and recommendations overall will stay consistent and be understandable. Not like the Irish that have changed pretty much two times a week now since June.

Thanks for that info.

I've looked on trip advisor forums and Swedes on there are adamant there will not be any form of lockdown or enforcement of masks come what may.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Westieatheart

Probably answered before (so apologies in advance) but if we get moved to level 5 and we have booked flights to Sweden for example and live outside of Dublin are we still allowed travel (ignoring checkpoints etc), we are looking to book something as we are off next week having postponed our wedding due to Covid, both WFH so happy to isolate when we get back etc just not too sure if we book something will we be allowed go to the airport.. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Six weeks of lockdown - Tenerife here I come!

Everyone should book somewhere and get the hell out of this madness.

Can someone please confirm to me again that the Bus Eireann services will still be running to Dublin Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I'm due to fly home on November 20 from Malaysia. I had planned to travel to my home town, stay at my parents house where I will be able to isolate safely away from them due to the set up of the house.

Malaysia has had a rise in cases recently but still a lot lower than Ireland and I am being careful.

But now am really worried about coming to Ireland.

I planned to come home in November so can be isolated for 2 weeks then get into sorting Christmas and also plan on staying until after my sister has her baby in early Feb.

Am so confused. I don't whether I should risk coming home and getting sick or risk my family being upset at me not being home.

Witchie wrote: »
    I'm due to fly home on November 20 from Malaysia

Stay the hell in Malaysia. The atmosphere in Ireland is appalling

I can think of few other countries that have dealt with this as excellently as Malaysia

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Stay the hell in Malaysia. The atmosphere in Ireland is appalling

I can think of few other countries that have dealt with this as excellently as Malaysia

That's why I have stayed so long. My family wanted me to come home in March. But feel bad if I don't come home for Christmas. My parents will be on their own then.

I have never been away from my son's at Christmas either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

She should just come. I don't understand why she didn't travel in July Aug and September when things were quite relaxed after the first severe lockdown. Lots of people were moving about then and travelling/flying. My daughter and her husband returned home to Ireland from Vancouver in July. I hope she makes it now.

Thanks sweetmaggie, yeah in hindsight you're right, she should have travelled then but it took months for my son to get the refund for the initial flights and I think they were just hoping things would keep improving and travel would open back up freely.

It's another big risk now, I've been on to Dublin Airport and they will neither say yes or no, that the decision will only be made when she arrives so if she's turned back around at the airport that's the guts of 1k down the drain.

Feel so sorry for him, he's getting very down and they're starting to row all the time, too hard to keep things going long distance especially when you've a time difference as well.

That's why I have stayed so long. My family wanted me to come home in March. But feel bad if I don't come home for Christmas. My parents will be on their own then.

I have never been away from my son's at Christmas either.

Is it just a 2 week visit you're planning? If it is and it means seeing your son then I'd say go for it

But then run as fast as you can from Ireland and back to Malaysia. You're very safe there

As an aside; are you allowed in Malaysia because you've the proper work visa? I thought they were being very, very strict at the moment regarding who gets in

Is it just a 2 week visit you're planning? If it is and it means seeing your son then I'd say go for it

But then run as fast as you can from Ireland and back to Malaysia. You're very safe there

As an aside; are you allowed in Malaysia because you've the proper work visa? I thought they were being very, very strict at the moment regarding who gets in

Nope am on a tourist visa. I usually use KL as my base and spend the year hoping around in Asia but stuck here since I got back from Vietnam in March. Am trying to get a work permit here but I don't really want to work here, prefer my online gigs.

I have booked a return flight for Feb 20 so can have a few weeks cuddling my first ever niece before going back and am hoping it will either be more relaxed by then or will have my work permit. Otherwise I will go to Thailand as I can get a work permit there because one of my jobs is with an agency based there.

Ach am distraught. Really don't want to leave the safety of here where I can still go to the pub with friends etc but worry about missing too much family time if I don't go home.

Nope am on a tourist visa.

In Malaysia?

How though? They've banned all tourists till at least Jan 1st

In Malaysia?

How though? They've banned all tourists till at least Jan 1st

Anyone who has been here since the Movement Control Orders first came into effect is able to stay until 14 working days after it is lifted. In September they extended the MCO until Dec 31st.

So basically tourists won't be penalised for overstaying visas due to the pandemic.

Anyone who has been here since the Movement Control Orders first came into effect is able to stay until 14 working days after it is lifted. In September they extended the MCO until Dec 31st.

So basically tourists won't be penalised for overstaying visas due to the pandemic.

Ah I see

But if you leave Malaysia and come back to Ireland there's no way you're getting back into Malaysia on a Tourist visa if they're still banned there

Ah I see

But if you leave Malaysia and come back to Ireland there's no way you're getting back into Malaysia on a Tourist visa if they're still banned there

Exactly. If I get a work permit I can come back though. So I have a few weeks to get a job here.

Getting too short on notice to get some poor schmuck to marry me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I’m due to travel for a 5 day break in a week - in the last week I’ve lost my father.

I am happy and prepared to isolate for two weeks on my return and wear whatever is requested of me.

It’s essential for my continuing mental health that I go - I can’t handle one more setback of any kind.

I’m travelling.

Exactly. If I get a work permit I can come back though. So I have a few weeks to get a job here.

Cool

I would absolutely make sure I had a job first though and make sure you have it in writing that you now have a work visa etc

The last thing you want is to be locked out of Malaysia and inside Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I’m due to travel for a 5 day break in a week - in the last week I’ve lost my father.

I am happy and prepared to isolate for two weeks on my return and wear whatever is requested of me.

It’s essential for my continuing mental health that I go - I can’t handle one more setback of any kind.

I’m travelling.

You are right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement