Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Let's say you book a flight to Spain and you live more then 5Km away from Dublin airport

That's illegal now?

No.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Let's say you book a flight to Spain and you live more then 5Km away from Dublin airport

That's illegal now?

Its not illegal to book a flight or get on a plane. You can be fined if you leave the 5km radius of your home for non essential reasons as defined by the government.

However its gets complex. The government wont a high court case against Ryanair that said the previous travel guidance was just an advisory.

The government are walking a fine line between Ryanair suffering losses is its own business and we are legally preventing people from getting to the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Anyone else thinking the same and any idea where you are thinking?

Very much so

And anywhere that ticks all these boxes:

• Positivity rate below 1%
    • Sunny and warm in Winter
    • Cheap but not tacky
    • Somewhere to just be a recluse if I need to with weekly outings just to get groceries
    • Somewhere where the government have a great hold on this thing, where there's fines for no mask wearing and the Police are enforcing it etc

I say "recluse" but I mean just to generally stay away from people and do my own thing with a laptop/Kindle in the sun on my balcony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

As regards

Positivity rate below 1%

it would appear you can pick from Cuba, Madagascar, Thailand, Vietnam, Australia,New Zealand and Saudi Arabia.
    Very much so

And anywhere that ticks all these boxes:

• Positivity rate below 1%
    • Sunny and warm in Winter
    • Cheap but not tacky
    • Somewhere to just be a recluse if I need to with weekly outings just to get groceries
    • Somewhere where the government have a great hold on this thing, where there's fines for no mask wearing and the Police are enforcing it etc

I say "recluse" but I mean just to generally stay away from people and do my own thing with a laptop/Kindle in the sun on my balcony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

This puts me at ease as I am flying on friday myself. What about collecting people from the airport as I need to do that as well.

• Advertisement

johnire wrote: »
    As regards

Positivity rate below 1%

it would appear you can pick from Cuba, Madagascar, Thailand, Vietnam, Australia,New Zealand and Saudi Arabia.

That's if you get country specific

But if you get region specific you've more and closer options

Parts of Spain are @ 0.8% for example

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Just a heads up for would-be travellers to Spain. The government is seeking approval to impose a curfew from midnight to 6am. To do this they will need to enact a national state of alarm again. This will require by in from all the regional presidents.

Madrid is going to impose a curfew once the current state of alarm ends.

It’s early days and hard to tell if this will fly. State of alarm requires buy in from every region. Not all regions have issues so just one to watch to see what materialises

faceman wrote: »
    Just a heads up for would-be travellers to Spain. The government is seeking approval to impose a curfew from midnight to 6am.

So when the sensible of us will be back in the apartment anyway? ;)

Can't see this being too major a thing unless someone is heavily Pub dependent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Ah ok -no problem.
    That's if you get country specific

But if you get region specific you've more and closer options

Parts of Spain are @ 0.8% for example

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

So seems 2021 is lost aswell, looks like Norway will never open up their ****ing borders ... getting sick of not being able to make plans..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Booked a few days in Italy today, heading off Friday.

It will break up the **** show here anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Level 5 'lockdown' has made me feel like getting away even more in November.

Anyone else thinking the same and any idea where you are thinking?

Doom and gloom of Ireland for the next 6 weeks would make anyone go insane.

I was very close in May to heading to Barcelona, renting an air bnb and home working from there. Now I would consider going further South. Don’t know Canaries well but I guess some places are nice. Greece would attract also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I was very close in May to heading to Barcelona, renting an air bnb and home working from there. Now I would consider going further South. Don’t know Canaries well but I guess some places are nice. Greece would attract also.

Weather in Greece is starting to dip and on the islands places are closing for the winter season. Some are going to try to stay open a bit longer with family only working them.

If I was hitting the canaries I would be heading for gran canaria- but we like it there. Around maspalomas area is lovely

So when the sensible of us will be back in the apartment anyway? ;)

Can't see this being too major a thing unless someone is heavily Pub dependent

That’s been the way for all travel over the last few months. If you’re pub and club dependent, it would have been pretty rubbish. If you’re not, like my partner and I, travelling is wonderful while these restrictions keep the hordes away

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

it would appear you can pick (delete delete delete) Saudi Arabia.

You should try it out, the weather is beautiful and their borders are open, PCR before arrival and within 48 hours after arrival. Pick yourself a nice beach resort and you can be as reclusive as you desire, just remember no beer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

smurfjed wrote: »
    You should try it out, the weather is beautiful and their borders are open, PCR before arrival and within 48 hours after arrival. Pick yourself a nice beach resort and you can be as reclusive as you desire, just remember no beer :)

Not a regime I would choose to support with my tourist-dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Does anyone have experience of recently cancelled Aer Lingus flights, and specifically how far ahead of the flight are they cancelling them?

I'm planning to fly Dublin-Munich at the start of December and their current schedule shows they are ramping up from a couple of flights per week to one or two flights per day there from the start of December, which seems rather optimistic on their behalf to me.

Wallander wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience of recently cancelled Aer Lingus flights, and specifically how far ahead of the flight are they cancelling them?

I'm planning to fly Dublin-Munich at the start of December and their current schedule shows they are ramping up from a couple of flights per week to one or two flights per day there from the start of December, which seems rather optimistic on their behalf to me.

Hard to say. December is usually a busy month. Looking at the Ryanair Dublin Alicante route, a flight that is daily in normal times all year round is down to 2 flights a week November and December.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

Looking for advice here. I am required to travel to London for work, we are included in the essential services listing and work are insisting that I travel over. I intend to fly over and back the same day.

I’m thinking the best solution would be to stay in a hotel for two nights when I come back and get a private test done the morning after I return. Assuming that’s all clear then I will move back home and complete the 14 day self isolation.

Interested in any feedback, suggestions for testing in north Wicklow etc thanks. Should I arrange a second test after four or five days for peace of mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

radharc wrote: »
    Looking for advice here. I am required to travel to London for work, we are included in the essential services listing and work are insisting that I travel over. I intend to fly over and back the same day.

I’m thinking the best solution would be to stay in a hotel for two nights when I come back and get a private test done the morning after I return. Assuming that’s all clear then I will move back home and complete the 14 day self isolation.

Interested in any feedback, suggestions for testing in north Wicklow etc thanks. Should I arrange a second test after four or five days for peace of mind?

I believe the infection rate in London, while rising, is currently very comparable to the average in Ireland so spending some time there is not anything to be that concerned about. You would have no problem restricting movements at home within the context of the new lockdown here, as people restricting movements are still permitted to exercise and shop for essentials. Personally I would therefore not advise you to take extra isolation measures unless the nature of your work in London is high risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

faceman wrote: »
    Hard to say. December is usually a busy month. Looking at the Ryanair Dublin Alicante route, a flight that is daily in normal times all year round is down to 2 flights a week November and December.

Ryanair has taken a proper hatchet to their winter schedule. all the possible destinations to reach our families for Xmas (one in Italy and the other in Spain) have been completely cut until March '21 or have been incredibly reduced in frequency.

Valencia, Pisa and Bologna no flight 'till late March '21 (had 2-3 flights a week last winter)
    Milan, Barcelona, Alicante drastically reduced frequency

Looks like O'Leary not expecting much of a winter season at all.

We traveled to both Italy and Spain in August for 3 weeks on the expectation that Christmas could prove harder (shorter break from school; kids more prone to getting sick; expectations of a 2nd wave).
    At the moment, notwithstanding the low prices, we're very much on the fence about booking. We're not fearing for our health but not sure what kind of a Christmas celebration it'll be given restrictions on number of households/guests now both in Italy and Spain.

Will be a last minute decision or it might be our first Irish Xmas after 13yrs living here...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Ryanair has taken a proper hatchet to their winter schedule. all the possible destinations to reach our families for Xmas (one in Italy and the other in Spain) have been completely cut until March '21 or have been incredibly reduced in frequency.
    Valencia, Pisa and Bologna no flight 'till late March '21 (had 2-3 flights a week last winter)
    Milan, Barcelona, Alicante drastically reduced frequency

Looks like O'Leary not expecting much of a winter season at all.

Ryanair definitely not expecting anything even remotely approaching a reasonably good winter season...after the end of this month flights will be slashed out of Ireland..

...bookings for Ryanair are at 10% of normal, with all the confusion on entry requirements and lockdowns in the various EU countries it's not commercially viable have more than 1 or 2 flights a week where 7 flights could have taken place, and even those 1 or 2 aircraft will have less than a 50% load factor..

In some cases you may have to get the Ferry to the UK and drive to Southern UK to catch the next Ferry to Europe.... though that will be a very time consuming way to travel, and after January 1st it will be an ordeal not even commercial truck drivers will want to do..

...Welcome to travel in the Covid age...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I've lived in north america for ten years and never had christmas anywhere other than ireland, despite the ridiculous cost, particularly when I lived west coast. I'm a bit worried I'll have a minor breakdown on the day and decide to return home for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I have similar feelings as previous posters.
    I've been in Ireland for 9 years now, but always go back to Greece for Christmas with my family.

I expect that there will be flights (not direct, but plenty of options to transit through many EU countries), so I will just wait until beginning of December to see what are the travelling requirements (most likely to test negative 2-3 days before arriving in Greece) and book flights to go back home. I can work remotely so I think I will be able to get approval from my manager and park myself for a few weeks there.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

I think it has been briefly discussed already, but what is the official stance on travelling more than 5km to get to the airport? Has anyone actually confirmed that the gardai won't turn you around (and fine you) if they stop you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

timeToLive wrote: »
    I think it has been briefly discussed already, but what is the official stance on travelling more than 5km to get to the airport? Has anyone actually confirmed that the gardai won't turn you around (and fine you) if they stop you?
    Yea I haven't seen anything either but I'm travelling Friday and intend to get a pre-booked bus to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

timeToLive wrote: »

Nothing illegal about leaving the country at the moment, so I think you'll be fine.

From all my interactions with the Gardaí since March, they very much have a common sense approach. Worst case scenario you might be asked to present a boarding pass/ proof of booking but in all likelihood if you just say you've a flight to catch you'll be sent on your merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭VG31

"A green light is applied to countries or regions reporting less than 25 new infections per 100,000 inhabitants, and which have a test positivity below 4 per cent of all tests."

Well that's not much use considering there isn't a single country under 25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Wallander wrote: »

They will probably let you know in early November. I have one to Germany in early December. Not confident I will be going.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement