Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

VG31 wrote: »
    "A green light is applied to countries or regions reporting less than 25 new infections per 100,000 inhabitants, and which have a test positivity below 4 per cent of all tests."

Well that's not much use considering there isn't a single country under 25.

For now, yes. But it also enables travellers departing from Orange and Red countries to take an acceptable test less than 72 hours pre-departure to avoid the need for a quarantine period on arrival. This is the key really. Whilst Ireland are still evaluating, other European countries have progressed and approved more rapid tests which can provide results in less than 24 hours and cost under €30. The timing of this is also great for the winter holiday season which will start towards the end of December throughout Europe. Many resorts are already publishing their guidelines on how to operate in a safe environment this year so safe international travel is the last door to unlock to help the beleaguered tourism industries around Europe with a fresh start in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Luckymum01

If I knew schools were taking second week for mid term I would be away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Golfman64 wrote: »
    For now, yes. But it also enables travellers departing from Orange and Red countries to take an acceptable test less than 72 hours pre-departure to avoid the need for a quarantine period on arrival. This is the key really. Whilst Ireland are still evaluating, other European countries have progressed and approved more rapid tests which can provide results in less than 24 hours and cost under €30. The timing of this is also great for the winter holiday season which will start towards the end of December throughout Europe. Many resorts are already publishing their guidelines on how to operate in a safe environment this year so safe international travel is the last door to unlock to help the beleaguered tourism industries around Europe with a fresh start in 2021.

The PCR test is still the only one recognised for travel, the rapid tests to date are too inaccurate, though that may or may not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sober Too

timeToLive wrote: »
    I think it has been briefly discussed already, but what is the official stance on travelling more than 5km to get to the airport? Has anyone actually confirmed that the gardai won't turn you around (and fine you) if they stop you?

Yes would like to hear from the horses mouth so to speak on this one!

Anyone know of someone who has actually made it to the airport and gotten on a Winter Sun destination flight, now that the dreaded Level 5 and that 5km restriction has kicked in ..officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Sober Too wrote: »

Anyone know of someone who has actually made it to the airport and gotten on a Winter Sun destination flight, now that the dreaded Level 5 and that 5km restriction has kicked in ..officially.

I rang the daa this morning for guidance. The answer was well that's up to the guard themselves. So they know as much as we know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Just in case people start posting the "there was a flight where everyone got infected" posts again

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/10/20/925892185/do-masks-really-cut-your-risk-of-catching-covid-19-on-long-plane-flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭embraer170

They can hardly stop you from leaving the country. All kinds of reasons you could be going abroad: work, funeral, compassionate grounds, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Does anyone know the situation regarding collecting someone from the airport?

For example, someone who lives in Waterford, their parents are due to arrive home to Dublin airport a late flight & have no other way of getting home without getting collected from the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

DVDM93 wrote: »

For example, someone who lives in Waterford, their parents are due to arrive home to Dublin airport a late flight & have no other way of getting home without getting collected from the airport.

Essential so I'd say it's fine once you can explain it, maybe flight info or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭embraer170

DVDM93 wrote: »

Collecting elderly parents who should be avoiding taxis and public transport sounds like pretty essential travel to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

RobitTV wrote: »
    Thanks for the information very helpful :)

Can you ask your Dad when you are next speaking to him what time do the bars currently close at?

I wonder if the Tenerife regional Government will end some of the restrictions when the review it on the 23rd of October. I will keep my eyes peeled.

Sorry just saw this now. He's nearly 80 and doesn't drink so isn't sure, they were sitting in the outside terrace of a bar last night watching the Champions League until full time around 10 or so and it was still open. Seating well spread out and nowhere packed.

A lot of places closed and under going renovation, he was talking to somebody who said the government has give grants for work to be done to help employment. Between that and lack of critical mass to pay for some of the bigger spots to open it really is very quite, they are happy out in the apartment, cooking all their own meals, walking twice a day, reading on the balcony and watching TV- a nice version of lockdown. He reckons whey may stay till Jan/Feb.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Ryanair are sending me alerts daily now regarding cheap fares if you travel between now and the end of the year but if you check their schedules they are hardly flying anywhere and even if they are the frequency is dramatically reduced. Are they just hoping people books flights and don't book bother claiming for vouchers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Ryanair are sending me alerts daily now regarding cheap fares if you travel between now and the end of the year but if you check their schedules they are hardly flying anywhere and even if they are the frequency is dramatically reduced. Are they just hoping people books flights and don't book bother claiming for vouchers etc.

They may be trying to get more people on their half empty planes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

The cynic in me expects that we will be the last EU country to implement airport testing & also be the most expensive, hopefully not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

i cant wait for the first story to break about some TD breaking the 5km restriction to go back down the country or something, it's bound to happen.

not a chance in hell im restricting myself to 5km, whoever comes up with this tripe is deluded,mind you nothing surprises me about this clueless shambles of a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

If we go to level 5 I'm definitely travelling! I'll be out of here for a couple of months.

So... Where do you head off to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    They may be trying to get more people on their half empty planes?

This time around they will not cancel flights....but fly with half empty planes.....so no refunds.

So... Where do you head off to ?

London first of all, on Saturday, which is pretty much normal life unless you are into going to pubs and houseparties (you can do everything as normal, but just not indoors with other households). Then am looking at an airbnb in Valencia for a couple of weeks (maybe more) - a duplex by the beach, substantially larger than my place in Dublin, and where I would not mind at all being subject to a curfew or other restrictions. Its 25 degrees and wall to wall sunshine for the forseeable. Check out airbnb - accommodation costs nothing right now

But my partner and I are careful. We mask up everywhere that we need to, no arguments. And we keep ourselves to ourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The cynic in me expects that we will be the last EU country to implement airport testing & also be the most expensive, hopefully not

No, you pretty much have that bang on

Fúcking shambles of a country

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sober Too

London first of all, on Saturday, which is pretty much normal life unless you are into going to pubs and houseparties (you can do everything as normal, but just not indoors with other households). Then am looking at an airbnb in Valencia for a couple of weeks (maybe more) - a duplex by the beach, substantially larger than my place in Dublin, and where I would not mind at all being subject to a curfew or other restrictions. Its 25 degrees and wall to wall sunshine for the forseeable. Check out airbnb - accommodation costs nothing right now

But my partner and I are careful. We mask up everywhere that we need to, no arguments. And we keep ourselves to ourselves

Sounds an adventure, and good for you :)

Just a little curious tho how would one circumvent that 5km travel restriction thing, any word to the wise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Just a little curious tho how would one circumvent that 5km travel restriction thing, any word to the wise?

He is not going to be in the country so doesn't need to worry about it ;)

I think that there is a general assumption that if you have a boarding pass or a ferry ticket, then you're not going to be stopped from going to the airport or the port.

'tis only an assumption though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Spain is less appealing to me today

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1319326887353659400

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

BBC: The UK Transport Minister, Grant Shapps, has just included the Canary Islands in the safe travel green list from Sunday the 25th of October. UK citizens entering the Canary Islands will be exempt from quarantine on their return to the UK.

Jet2 have announced that they will resume their flights to the Canary Islands on October 30. It follows the UK government decision today to add the Canary Islands to its travel safe list. UK citizens will no longer need to quarantine on their return.

Nothing from Ireland as usual...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

faceman wrote: »
    Just in case people start posting the "there was a flight where everyone got infected" posts again

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/10/20/925892185/do-masks-really-cut-your-risk-of-catching-covid-19-on-long-plane-flights?

Should be re posted every now and then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ShineOn7 wrote: »

You need to look where those cases are though. Mostly Madrid.

Nightime curfew coming to Spain very soon, midnight to 6am. Valencia region which includes Alicante area will be introducing it in a few days as confirmed by the region president tonight

Some good news for those looking to go to the Canary Islands:

- The Canary Islands will ask to be excluded from the national curfew to contain the coronavirus if the Government imposes it

The regional president, Ángel Víctor Torres, maintains that the Islands "have nothing to do" at this time with the rest of the country in terms of the spread of the virus.

"The Canary Islands will not request a curfew at this time, in any case, and if the Government of Spain wants to establish it for the entire country, the Canary Islands will ask to be excluded from that curfew,"

Link

The regional president of the Canary Islands is in the same political party (PSOE) as the Spanish PM, so it's quite likely that the regional president may have a strong case here to present to the Spanish PM.

I would be rather surprised if the Canary Islands are included in any future national curfew, because tourism markets from the UK and Germany are reopening to the island's again and the winter season is a huge earner for the island's which relies heavily on tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Are any of you considering a 2021 holiday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Gael23 wrote: »
    Are any of you considering a 2021 holiday?

2 booked using this year's vouchers. Glass half full etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement