Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

2 booked using this year's vouchers. Glass half full etc.

I’m intending to but won’t be booking for a few more months. It’s nit that I’m nervous, I just don’t think it would be enjoyable unless something changes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Gael23 wrote: »
    Are any of you considering a 2021 holiday?

If this government got its act together there are still 2 months left in 2020 that I could get a holiday in!

If this government got its act together there are still 2 months left in 2020 that I could get a holiday in!

Is there anything stopping you now? Under L5 we are restricting our movements anyway, so no different to a 2 week restriction of movement upon your return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Is there anything stopping you now? Under L5 we are restricting our movements anyway, so no different to a 2 week restriction of movement upon your return.

Yep. Got to go to work and then 14 days etc. And before anyone says its none of your employers business where you go on holidays etc etc I work in healthcare and we have been told we need to disclose if we are travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

RobitTV wrote: »

No doubt the silence from our Government will be deafening. It's great to see other countries taking a progressive and smart approach to reopening international travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I've my flights booked to France for the week before Christmas. Myself and the family are hitting the slopes. Great value to be had. Most places will allow cancellation if restrictions are in place.

France is very lax. No covid tests on arrival unlike Austria. Doubt it will be the same as normal with apres ski etc but should still be nice to get away.

Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Gael23 wrote: »
    Are any of you considering a 2021 holiday?

Absolutely. If this is a virus which has seasonal peaks then it is even more important that we get the opportunity to get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Thinking of a week in Lanzarote before and after xmas I can work from anywhere, have a home also in another hot climate country but they have shut their border completely.
    Early this year was traveling between tokyo and hong kong I embraced the mask culture airports had sanitisers and notices everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Coeus wrote: »
    Yea I haven't seen anything either but I'm travelling Friday and intend to get a pre-booked bus to the airport.
    Just to update...I travelled up to the airport this morning. No issues getting here, bus came via M7 and there were no checkpoints so arrived here on time. Airport itself is eerily quiet, there is nearly as many staff here as passengers 😕

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Faceman; I think you live in Spain if I'm remembering right?

Do you know if Valencia and the Canary Islands dodged Wave 1 as much as they're doing now with Wave 2?

Currently they both have a positivity rate below 1%. I'm just wondering if there's a strong chance they'll stay that way

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Faceman; I think you live in Spain if I'm remembering right?

Do you know if Valencia and the Canary Islands dodged Wave 1 as much as they're doing now with Wave 2?

Currently they both have a positivity rate below 1%. I'm just wondering if there's a strong chance they'll stay that way

Cheers

I live between both Ireland and Spain yeah.

Valencia city is like any other city but not as bad as other Spanish cities. Alicante fairing better than Valencia.

Canaries are in good shape. No concerns there.

Spain is bringing in a curfew and the Valencia region’s curfew will be in by Monday. Midnight to 6am. Pubs have to close by 1am at present to it’s not a big change.

The canaries are likely to exempt themselves from curfew because the virus is slow low

faceman wrote: »

Valencia city is like any other city but not as bad as other Spanish cities. Alicante Cory fairing better than Valencia.

Spain is bringing in a curfew and the Valencia region’s curfew will be in by Monday. Midnight to 6am. Pubs have to close by 1am at present to it’s not a big change.

The canaries are likely to exempt themselves from curfew because the virus is slow low

Thanks

But how did both of them (Alicante and Canary Islands) fare in Wave 1?

They did as good as they're doing now I hope?

Valencia city is like any other city but not as bad as other Spanish cities. Alicante Cory fairing better than Valencia.

Plus Valencia is reportedly the sunniest city in Europe.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

i remember you saying that alright do you work over there?

iwhere is the worst effected areas over there now?

SB71 wrote: »

I can't attach the image here, but you can see the positivity rate on any region in the world on Google Maps

I'm not even sure how you do it (it's easy enough surely), but a friend sent me Spain's Covid map last week by text

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Currently sitting in Dublin airport enjoying a pint.

Drove up from Cork, didn't pass any checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Was about to book Lanzarote as soon as the quarantine exemption was announced but decided to hold off and talk to a friend who has lived there for advice on what it's like atm and where to go. By the time I got to talk to her, the prices had shot up. :( I'm really not having a lot of luck with this.

Still half thinking of Valencia or Alicante and telling work to get over it...I've heard there are curfews but I wouldn't really be out partying anyway. I kind of just want a change of scenery more than anything else. Is that mad? Just the idea of being able to walk around somewhere different, see the sea, maybe some sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rocky1813

Have just booked my flight to Malaga for next week. So looking forward to a change of scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭coleen

rocky1813 wrote: »
    Have just booked my flight to Malaga for next week. So looking forward to a change of scene.
    Do let us know what that’s like. I am considering it durning my Christmas break .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

rocky1813 wrote: »

Are you going alone? What are you planning to do there? Have just had a look into it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks

But how did both of them (Alicante and Canary Islands) fare in Wave 1?

They did as good as they're doing now I hope?

Not sure about the Canaries. Alicante was hit badly like most cities but it varied wildly in the towns outside of the city that would be popular with paddies.

Its hard to determine why the region is doing better than others though. But it has creeped up again due to Valencia, and some other towns in the region such as Orihuela and Elche. (Although both towns are under control)

SB71 wrote: »

This is the site I use to check stats for the Valencia region. Its in Spanish but if you are familiar with the region but you click on the tab for the 14 day rates and pick your area on the map.

http://coronavirus.san.gva.es/estadisticas

14 day rates for areas popular with Irish folks:

Valencia 1340
    Alicante 401
    Beidorm 32
    Torrevieja 59
    Orihuela: 196 (this is actually a large area and they don't calculate the coast separately but the coast is served by Torrevieja hospital and the rates are very low)

14 day rates for areas popular with Irish folks:

Valencia 1340
    Alicante 401
    Beidorm 32
    Torrevieja 59
    Orihuela: 196 (this is actually a large area and they don't calculate the coast separately but the coast is served by Torrevieja hospital and the rates are very low)

Thanks

That's the case numbers for just 2 weeks?

It's hard to work out if doing Valencia (Alicante or Torrevieja) as hermit style as possible is worth the risk at the moment

I'll keep an eye on it

Thanks

That's the case numbers for just 2 weeks?

It's hard to work out if doing Valencia (Alicante or Torrevieja) as hermit style as possible is worth the risk at the moment

I'll keep an eye on it

It’s the rolling 14 day average per 100,000 people

For contrast ireland is currently 302 and Dublin 253

It’s the rolling 14 day average per 100,000 people

For contrast Ireland is currently 302 and Dublin 253

Cheers. That puts it much better in perspective

So looking at these figures:

Valencia 1340
    Alicante 401

Alicante has more cases per thousand than all of ROI put together?

And Valencia has more than 4 times?

But yet, when you look at the Covid mapping on Google Maps it shows the Valencia region has a case positivity of just 0.8% when compared to Ireland's circa 6%

'Tis strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rocky1813

Are you going alone? What are you planning to do there? Have just had a look into it myself.

No I’m going with my husband. We’ve an apartment an hour from Malaga and we haven’t been over since Christmas so we won’t be doing much over there. We keep to ourselves pretty much but we love walking and it’s a lovely area where we’re based. I’ve been a bit nervous about going but I think we just have to go now. Things aren’t going to change by next year. If things go well with this trip we’ll probably go back again in January.

Valencia 1340
    Alicante 401

But yet, when you look at the Covid mapping on Google Maps it shows the Valencia region has a case positivity of just 0.8% when compared to Ireland's circa 6%

'Tis strange!

No. Remember it’s per 100,000 people. It gives an equal comparison weighted for population.

However Valencia is a densely populated city as is Alicante.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Valencia 1340
    Alicante 401

'Tis strange!

That's why the EU system is using positivity and case rates, you could test loads so have more positives particularly with large populations but still a low % infection rate. Their approach is more nuanced than Irelands where everyone is obsessed with case numbers alone

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

If Ireland adopts the system as stated from Nov 9 presume this is for arriving back after that time? Could depart before this as long as arriving back after if its green or with your test if it's orange and thus discharge your responsibilities under Government "advice"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What’s the situation in Barcelona?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement