Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Just back in Germany from my trip home to Ireland.

For what it's worth, flying with Aer Lingus, you get a link with the different forms or requirements needed for entry to any country. These should be filled out before travel.

For Ireland, it was a fairly simple form that you can complete online to say where you are staying, and the usual personal details. You get a digital receipt, which you show to the passport control guys.

Germany was a bit of a pain, as the online form wasn't fillable, but these forms were all available beside the check in desks in Dublin. And the very, very nice lady at check in actually opened check in early for me (I was there four hours before my flight as was travelling from the West, and my mum kicked me out on the earliest train so that I wouldn't miss my flight. :D).

Coming into Germany, nobody wanted to look at my meticulously filled out form at all; instead had to do it again on a different online site - there's a big board with a QR code to follow on arrival.

Once that is done though, it was super quick for a test - which was a piece of cake - second one I've had, and this one was really even easier. For anybody worried about the tests - they are nothing to worry about. And then out you go.

Quarantine and WFH for the next week, with a second test in five days. Baveria region.

Flights over and back were very empty. I'd say about 30 people in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

SnowyMay wrote: »
    Just back in Germany from my trip home to Ireland.

SNIP

That honestly looks like much more hassle than it was worth

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Which part? Filling in a form or getting a test? Filling in forms isn't that new for travelling and getting a test is now part of life :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Was worth it. Saw my folks for the first time this year. Much as I silently swore at the German part, it was really a teeny tiny thing, and was so worth it.

Was just an FYI post for travelling people. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

SnowyMay wrote: »
    Was worth it. Saw my folks for the first time this year.

Then it was worth it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I rang the daa this morning for guidance. The answer was well that's up to the guard themselves. So they know as much as we know.

So an update, I had to be at the airport at 5 am yesterday and had no trouble. No guards out at that time. It is a 20 minute drive for me. Give yourself plenty of time on the other end however as customs were slower than normal. I flew to berlin btw and transferred to Poland so did not do the covid test.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

SB71 wrote: »
    i cant wait for the first story to break about some TD breaking the 5km restriction to go back down the country or something, it's bound to happen.

not a chance in hell im restricting myself to 5km, whoever comes up with this tripe is deluded,mind you nothing surprises me about this clueless shambles of a government.

Be prepared to pay a fine so....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

If you look on any of the flight radar apps there is a hell of a lot of travel going on in Europe and the UK. Looks quite sparse in Ireland by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Yyhhuuu wrote: »

Doubt it very much, but worth it if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭larchielads

So an update, I had to be at the airport at 5 am yesterday and had no trouble. No guards out at that time. It is a 20 minute drive for me. Give yourself plenty of time on the other end however as customs were slower than normal. I flew to berlin btw and transferred to Poland so did not do the covid test.
    Where are u in poland? Whats it like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Yyhhuuu wrote: »

yeah right haha, if ther elite can get away with it so can i

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Valencia region which includes all of Costa Blanca and the Alicante area introduces curfew tonight until 9th December. Curfew might to 6am. Pubs last orders 11pm. Gatherings limited to 6.

Alcohol sales in offies and supermarkets is not permitted from 10pm to 8am. Still better than Ireland’s liquor laws!

What’s most interesting about it is the justification. Government wants to avoid any type of lockdown unless absolutely necessary. The official document goes in to great details to highlight the problem areas by age group and social activity. We see nothing like this in Ireland where decisions are made, bar summary by country.

Could ireland not considered something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

faceman wrote: »
    Valencia region which includes all of Costa Blanca and the Alicante area introduces curfew tonight until 9th December. Curfew might to 6am. Pubs last orders 11pm. Gatherings limited to 6.

Alcohol sales in offies and supermarkets is not permitted from 10pm to 8am. Still better than Ireland’s liquor laws!

What’s most interesting about it is the justification. Government wants to avoid any type of lockdown unless absolutely necessary. The official document goes in to great details to highlight the problem areas by age group and social activity. We see nothing like this in Ireland where decisions are made, bar summary by country.

Could ireland not considered something similar?

Oh, dear god no. We'll have none of your fancy modern talk around here. All that matters in this country are rising case numbers and deaths. The more the better it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I know someone going to Germany next week for essential purposes.
    Germany has approximately 30% of our infection rate per head of population.

My Friend can avoid any restricted movement or quarantine by simply arriving in Germany with a negative Covid test from Ireland taken 48 hours before travelling (available from multiple private labs for €180 with Guaranteed 36-48hr turnaround). or if he choses not to do this he can take a free test on arrival in Munich Airport with results guaranteed on 48 hours.

However when he returns to Ireland, despite coming from a country with 1/3 our infection rate, he has no option of avoiding 14 days restricted movement by getting tested before leaving Germany (available in airport for €60 with a guaranteed 24hr turnaround) or by getting a test on arrival in Ireland.

It's just a lazy 'If you return from abroad we advise you to restrict movements for 14 days.

Ireland is a shambles, stupid rules which make no sense, customer unfriendly, arrogant, expensive and yet at the same stage it doesn't even enforce any recommendations.

It doesn't matter if you are flying in from Germany or Brazil we just advise you to restrict your movements and sure if you don't who cares? And we'll leave it at that..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

We got back nearly 3 weeks ago now. 2 days after we got back we got a text asking us to restrict our movements. 2 days later another text with a link to confirm we were still at the address we had given. 5 days after that another text the same as the first one. And then 14 days after we got back a text to say thank you! That was it.

Now I'm of the opinion that you have as much chance of catching C19 in the office or supermarket than you are abroad but what a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭acequion

I know someone going to Germany next week for essential purposes.
    Germany has approximately 30% of our infection rate per head of population.

My Friend can avoid any restricted movement or quarantine by simply arriving in Germany with a negative Covid test from Ireland taken 48 hours before travelling (available from multiple private labs for €180 with Guaranteed 36-48hr turnaround). or if he choses not to do this he can take a free test on arrival in Munich Airport with results guaranteed on 48 hours.

However when he returns to Ireland, despite coming from a country with 1/3 our infection rate, he has no option of avoiding 14 days restricted movement by getting tested before leaving Germany (available in airport for €60 with a guaranteed 24hr turnaround) or by getting a test on arrival in Ireland.

It's just a lazy 'If you return from abroad we advise you to restrict movements for 14 days.

Ireland is a shambles, stupid rules which make no sense, customer unfriendly, arrogant, expensive and yet at the same stage it doesn't even enforce any recommendations.

It doesn't matter if you are flying in from Germany or Brazil we just advise you to restrict your movements and sure if you don't who cares? And we'll leave it at that..

100% agree. But in this stupid country it's all about optics. All about idiotic rules just for the sake of them. And all about "to be seen" to do something. And too many even more idiotic people only too happy to oblige. It's beyond embarrassing. Ireland always was a shambles, a cesspit of hypocrisy and looks like it's not going to change. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

but what a waste of time

Sums it all up for me. Everything is, and has been since the beginning, half ar5ed, reactionary and shambolic in this country.

Big announcement this week about the EU traffic light system yet still no airport testing - despite two airports closing for winter and it being patently obvious at this stage that foreign travel is not the enemy.

It seems that, 18 years later, Roy Keane was right all along....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Where are u in poland? Whats it like?

Szczecin. From Friday the pubs and restaurants are takeaway only. Everybody wears masks in public, not only in shops. Public transport is normal. And crossing the border from germany there was no checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

If you look on any of the flight radar apps there is a hell of a lot of travel going on in Europe and the UK. Looks quite sparse in Ireland by comparison.

NPHET achieving some success in their roadmap to turn us into North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

GazzaL wrote: »
    NPHET achieving some success in their roadmap to turn us into North Korea.
    Christ sake...what a load of hyperbolic nonsense

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Christ sake...what a load of hyperbolic nonsense

Their decisions have destroyed Cork and Shannon airports and hammered the businesses in those regions which depend on connectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Their decisions have destroyed Cork and Shannon airports and hammered the businesses in those regions which depend on connectivity.
    = NPHET wanting ireland to be north korea?....lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

gmisk wrote: »
    = NPHET wanting ireland to be north korea?....lol

NPHET Issuing advice that warrants control on people’s behaviour - check
    Government creating laws to limit social gatherings - check
    Government creating laws to limit travel - check
    Government creating laws to create poverty ensuring private citizens need to rely on state support - check
    Government mandating face coverings to water down our humanity and stigmatise anyone who shows their face and emotions - check
    Government silencing medical professionals for speaking off the script - check

Seems legit

(Just kidding of course!!)

Italy has introduced new nationwide restrictions today closing gyms cinemas theatres and pools.

Spain is currently meeting to confirm a new state of alarm but this one is just to make it easier for the curfews which most regions want

NPHET Issuing advice that warrants control on people’s behaviour - check
    Government creating laws to limit social gatherings - check
    Government creating laws to limit travel - check
    Government creating laws to create poverty ensuring private citizens need to rely on state support - check
    Government mandating face coverings to water down our humanity and stigmatise anyone who shows their face and emotions - check
    Government silencing medical professionals for speaking off the script - check

Seems legit

(Just kidding of course!!)

I heard George Lee will be leading a chorus of the national anthem at the end of every RTE news broadcast going forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Italy has introduced new nationwide restrictions today closing gyms cinemas theatres and pools.

Spain is currently meeting to confirm a new state of alarm but this one is just to make it easier for the curfews which most regions want

And closing golf courses as well, I assume? Can’t have those death traps/vectors of infection left open right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Spanish government is introducing a curfew for the entire country from 11pm to 6am.

The Canary Islands is to be exempted from the national curfew. The 11pm to 6am curfew will not apply to the Canary Islands because the islands have the lowest COVID rates of all Spanish regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I’m itching to go abroad but seeming that my main priority would be late night bars and partying, there is obviously no point. Ughhh I hope I can quote this post in a year’s time from a bustling european club at 5am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Hardly North Korea, my drama queen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement