Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

acequion wrote: »
    But if a family of four you're talking €200

Spain doesn't generally attract the solo traveller or just couples. It attracts families. Such costs on top of travel and accommodation in a depressed market for the foreseeable? Looks like tourism suicide.

Test costs have to be affordable otherwise as much a non runner for most as 14 day quarantine.

Antigen tests are about €20 - €25 in French pharmacies so that should be a benchmark for Ireland unless they go to town on an ole Irish rip off

dalyboy wrote: »
    Antigen tests are about €20 - €25 in French pharmacies so that should be a benchmark for Ireland unless they go to town on an ole Irish rip off

Why would French prices be a marker? Are french prices a marker for anything here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Why would French prices be a marker? Are french prices a marker for anything here?

Baguettes. But the prices there are kept low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

That’s a big development. Antigen tests are very fast and cheap. About €50 with 24hr turnaround.
    I can't find anyone doing antigen tests in Ireland. The Government should be providing them (at cost) then, and/or they should be made available at pharmacies in Ireland.

The existing available PCR tests are exorbitantly expensive at €180.

Kivaro wrote: »
    I can't find anyone doing antigen tests in Ireland. The Government should be providing them (at cost) then, and/or they should be made available at pharmacies in Ireland.

The government won’t make any effort to bring itself in line with the rest of Europe with rapid and cheap testing, as is a sneaky way to stop people travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Jesus that sounds like tourism suicide by the Canaries!

(

Agreed. Canaries would have done well at Xmas. I was thinking of it myself.

Kivaro wrote: »

The government won’t make any effort to bring itself in line with the rest of Europe with rapid and cheap testing, as is a sneaky way to stop people travelling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

l(The North is far superior in all ways to those nasty Valencians :))

While I’m not a native, I would take exception to this were I not so chill in the sunshine right now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

When will any country get below 25 again 😭😭?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Seems it’s a case of rather then the EMA approving them centrally, Ireland is doing it own validation and reinventing the wheel:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/state-to-begin-testing-rapid-covid-19-antigen-kits-for-national-rollout-1.4383213

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭acequion

They had legally enforced lockdowns. The place closed, people were locked in apartments with fines for venturing out. My children spent 4 months inside a two bedroom apartment with their mother and I was stuck in this very very tame version waiting until I was allowed travel there

The police had the power to demand ID (as always) and issue fines, make you go home and arrest you. You could not enter areas including what Ireland deems as 'essential'. While in Ireland you could meander about outside and any old excuse ticked the 'carry on boss' box

When I did travel I drove straight to Dublin airport, walked onto a plane and flew there. NO checks and no restrictions in Dublin. On arrival I filled in a form and had my temperature taken. If I refused, no entry. ON return I again filled in a form and that was it. Even if you refused to fill in the form you weren't turned back and kicked out of the country.

Theres now a curfew in the area where I and my family actually live (well, Im split between here and there). My children have been sent home from school.

Im pretty sure I can claim to know Spain very well too considering Im a citizen through marriage with born and raised Spanish children. I have integrated into society and held down jobs both North and South of the country. (The North is far superior in all ways to those nasty Valencians :))

I never claimed its utopia or a hell hole or anything else extreme. I obviously like the place. Im not sure why but you seem hellbent on confrontation with me over this

No I'm not interested in any confrontation as it's a matter of opinion at the end of the day. And yes you clearly know Spain very well as well. I'm sorry if I came across as having a go at you.

And I'm well aware of how strict the first lockdown was as I also have family living there. Like you I couldn't go there until July. But when I did go there I found the atmosphere so much less toxic than here, so much less obsessed.

Whereas here, ok on the face of it you've been able to do pretty much what you like since the lockdown ended, apart from now, but there is this constant obsession with all things Covid, fearmongering, finger wagging, blaming and couple that with political ineptitude compounded by a disastrous change of Govt. And the deliberate scapegoating of foreign travel with every sneaky means possible being used to deter people from leaving the country. Are workers in Spain forced to take two weeks unpaid leave when they return from abroad as they are here? And have been yoyo blanket shutdowns been enforced on businesses as they have here?

Personally, I'm really worried for the future as I've zero faith in the Irish Govt's handling of this. It's soul destroying death of travel not by one sharp cut but by a thousand ongoing cuts. I'd feel happier if I could be in Spain for the duration of the pandemic but unfortunately I'm stuck here.

No I'm not interested in any confrontation as it's a matter of opinion at the end of the day. And yes you clearly know Spain very well as well. I'm sorry if I came across as having a go at you.

And I'm well aware of how strict the first lockdown was as I also have family living there. Like you I couldn't go there until July. But when I did go there I found the atmosphere so much less toxic than here, so much less obsessed.

Whereas here, ok on the face of it you've been able to do pretty much what you like since the lockdown ended, apart from now, but there is this constant obsession with all things Covid, fearmongering, finger wagging, blaming and couple that with political ineptitude compounded by a disastrous change of Govt. And the deliberate scapegoating of foreign travel with every sneaky means possible being used to deter people from leaving the country. Are workers in Spain forced to take two weeks unpaid leave when they return from abroad as they are here? And have been yoyo blanket shutdowns been enforced on businesses as they have here?

Personally, I'm really worried for the future as I've zero faith in the Irish Govt's handling of this. It's soul destroying death of travel not by one sharp cut but by a thousand ongoing cuts. I'd feel happier if I could be in Spain for the duration of the pandemic but unfortunately I'm stuck here.

I agree, the Irish curtain twitching and negative obsession is very tiresome but that's the people. Can't call it a nanny state over it because I think the actual official response has been soft but I'm starting to think that maybe sweden was right all along.

My blood pressure can't take another conversation about the unpaid 2 weeks.

I agree, the Irish curtain twitching and negative obsession is very tiresome but that's the people. Can't call it a nanny state over it because I think the actual official response has been soft but I'm starting to think that maybe sweden was right all along.

My blood pressure can't take another conversation about the unpaid 2 weeks.

Ya but that's Ireland for you. Pretending to be oh so nice, pretending to be oh so soft and all very subtle and this policing by consent malarky when in fact it's become a very over regulated country which in effect is a nanny state. And don't forget the Govt of a country is a reflection of its people.

I know you could get the head bitten off you by officialdom and indeed by ordinary citizens in Spain. It's happened to me more than once.:D They're much more overt and have many pain in the ass rules and regulations there too. But I prefer the overt to the covert, it's upfront and you know what you're dealing with and in the 20 years I've had my place there and spend a good third of each year there, I find the lifestyle so much more relaxed than here.

I would normally be there this week so am missing it big time. And am worried about next year because there is no denying the deterrents to travel from the Irish side, again all very sneakily done. But I guess worry won't get us anywhere and hopefully things will eventually work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Flew to Poland last week. Got bus from waterford to Dublin airport.

No stops on public transport. No one questioning why we were travelling.

In krakow atm and lots of people around, very safe, cheap everything, lovely food. No sense of panic..

We stayed for a week and decided to stay longer. Why bother returning home to Ireland...

Majority of bars and restaurants are only takeaway here but there are a few in the main square still open since they are hotels :P

Got a lovely apartment 100 euros for the week. How bad.

Going to museums, sightseeing, flying around on electric scoots and eating great cheap food. What more would you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Flew to Poland last week. Got bus from waterford to Dublin airport.

No stops on public transport. No one questioning why we were travelling.

In krakow atm and lots of people around, very safe, cheap everything, lovely food. No sense of panic..

We stayed for a week and decided to stay longer. Why bother returning home to Ireland...

Majority of bars and restaurants are only takeaway here but there are a few in the main square still open since they are hotels :P

Got a lovely apartment 100 euros for the week. How bad.

Going to museums, sightseeing, flying around on electric scoots and eating great cheap food. What more would you want.

Just be careful of things changing quickly as the government here in Poland are likely to introduce more restrictions this week (usually announced Thursday). As today there was a new record of 16k cases and also with the abortion protests ongoing they may bring in a curfew to try reduce the protests under the pretense of covid.

flying around on electric scoots
    What more would you want.

Sitting in a coffee shop and seeing someone falling off an electric scooter? Just me maybe:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

It's amazing how much difference the bad weather makes to your mood and mental health. We had such a lovely summer in London that I didn't really feel that burning need to get away, but I definitely feel it now. Even though we did have a decent summer, I've been pretty much sticking to my neighbourhood and I'm just tired of it.

I keep toying with the idea of Spain, just to escape the rain and get a change of scenery. I saw very cheap flights to Lanzarote right when the green list thing was announced and I hesitated and now they've gone really expensive. Also eying up Palma de Mallorca, which is somewhere I've never been (unlike Alicante and Valencia, which I know very well) and always wanted to go, but I'd have to quarantine on return, which seems like quite a price to pay, and work would whinge about it. It looks like there are quite a few cases there as well....anyone know?

Just keep looking at Airbnbs, seeing these flats with sea views, imagining myself sitting out in the balcony with a glass of wine....want to be there so much.

blackwave wrote: »
    Just be careful of things changing quickly as the government here in Poland are likely to introduce more restrictions this week (usually announced Thursday). As today there was a new record of 16k cases and also with the abortion protests ongoing they may bring in a curfew to try reduce the protests under the pretense of covid.

Of course. We are keeping an eye on things :)

We are due to leave the end of this week anyway, so if it goes back into lockdown we will return home. If not we will probably stay for another week.

Im after falling in love with Poland completely. First visit here has been amazing.

Sitting in a coffee shop and seeing someone falling off an electric scooter? Just me maybe:)

:D haven't fallen yet thank god. Couple of close calls with cars though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

We are due to leave the end of this week anyway, so if it goes back into lockdown we will return home. If not we will probably stay for another week.

Im after falling in love with Poland completely. First visit here has been amazing.

Poland is great...have been so impressed the times I've been with the standard of the accommodation, good food, and everything at very reasonable prices. Friendly people too, if a bit brusque. Can't wait to get back.

How are you doing the flights? Just booking a new one if you don't use the original? I suppose they're cheap enough at the moment.

• Advertisement

It's amazing how much difference the bad weather makes to your mood and mental health. We had such a lovely summer in London that I didn't really feel that burning need to get away, but I definitely feel it now. Even though we did have a decent summer, I've been pretty much sticking to my neighbourhood and I'm just tired of it.

I keep toying with the idea of Spain, just to escape the rain and get a change of scenery. I saw very cheap flights to Lanzarote right when the green list thing was announced and I hesitated and now they've gone really expensive. Also eying up Palma de Mallorca, which is somewhere I've never been (unlike Alicante and Valencia, which I know very well) and always wanted to go, but I'd have to quarantine on return, which seems like quite a price to pay, and work would whinge about it. It looks like there are quite a few cases there as well....anyone know?

Just keep looking at Airbnbs, seeing these flats with sea views, imagining myself sitting out in the balcony with a glass of wine....want to be there so much.

Am completely with you there. I would always use this week, mid term in Ireland, to go over, get a last blast of warmth and bolster myself for the Irish winter.

At least you guys got a nice summer in London. Here in Kerry we got pretty much what we usually get, SFA. Apart from a nice spring but too long ago. And I did get short trips to Spain in July and August but nothing near what I'd usually do. So am not at all prepared for the misery of a long Irish winter and have big time cabin fever already and it's only October.:eek:

Poland is great...have been so impressed the times I've been with the standard of the accommodation, good food, and everything at very reasonable prices. Friendly people too, if a bit brusque. Can't wait to get back.

How are you doing the flights? Just booking a new one if you don't use the original? I suppose they're cheap enough at the moment.

Completely agree. The food here everywhere has been of amazing quality and half the price of home. From polish food to pizza to Chinese to Mexican all way higher quality. We paid €9 for two chicken curries with rice delivered lastnight :V

We haven't booked our flight home yet so that's why, we will just book when we wanna go home. They are cheap enough back to dublin atm anyway. Around 16 euro. Madness

Fair play to you dartbardio! You've not let the misery get to you and have travelled regardless. Yep Poland is lovely. Lovely food, beautiful cities and culture. People a bit brusque, as another poster said, but polite to a fault.

Have you been to Zakapone just south of Krakow? Gorgeous place with beautiful scenery. Great way to round off a trip. Mind you I'd prefer somewhere warm this close to winter but it's still nice to hear of your travels and live vicariously through you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Need some advice, I have Tenerife booked for December and they will be requesting that I have a negative Covid test done before I leave the country and you have to present this negative test at the hotel reception.

It's expensive at 180 euro so I'm currently 50/50. I was thinking of cancelling the hotel and getting a refund, but I was so looking forward to this break away from Ireland, I would almost just pay for the test to get away from here and relax.

What would you do in this situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

RobitTV wrote: »
    Need some advice, I have Tenerife booked for December and they will be requesting that I have a negative Covid test done before I leave the country and you have to present this negative test at the hotel reception.

It's expensive at 180 euro so I'm currently 50/50. I was thinking of cancelling the hotel and getting a refund, but I was so looking forward to this break away from Ireland, I would almost just pay for the test to get away from here and relax.

I'd pay for it Rob and go enjoy some sunshine

Your other option is losing money on the flight and/or hotel, so you're down money regardless

Better to be down money and sitting on the beach in 25 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

€180 is hard to swallow as an additional hit to a holiday budget. Hopefully by December there will be options for countries to accept the €25 antigen tests 15 minute result return.

It’ll make your Tenerife trip a lot less hassle and lessen the cost burden

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/new-boots-covid-test-means-holidaymakers/amp/

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I'd pay for it Rob and go enjoy some sunshine

Your other option is losing money on the flight and/or hotel, so you're down money regardless

Better to be down money and sitting on the beach in 25 degrees

Yeah this is the reason why I have found it so hard to bring myself to cancel the trip. This trip has been keeping me so positive this past week and I have been looking forward to it and finally I can escape for a while.

The test is a bit of a pain but honestly I just want out of here for a while :pac:

dalyboy wrote: »
    €180 is hard to swallow as an additional hit to a holiday budget. Hopefully by December there will be options for countries to accept the €25 antigen tests 15 minute result return.

It’ll make your Tenerife trip a lot less hassle and lessen the cost burden

Do you think these will be made available in Ireland? 180 euro is a disgrace.

I heard Dublin Airport may introduce testing in November, but I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Why are you paying for it?

Say you've symptoms and get a free test

• Advertisement

Yeah this is the reason why I have found it so hard to bring myself to cancel the trip. This trip has been keeping me so positive this past week and I have been looking forward to it and finally I can escape for a while.

The test is a bit of a pain but honestly I just want out of here for a while :pac:

Totally see your point RobitTV but I would be slow to hand over that kind of money. If people pay those exorbitant sums there will be nothing stopping the rip off merchants who charge them and those rip off prices could become the norm.

Now I'd be a right stubborn bollix there and on principle would probably refuse to pay and would cancel. But would suffer too as I so know what it feels to need a break.

Maybe wait and see if you can avail of a cheaper antigen test? Maybe just wait, don't knee jerk?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement