Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Why are you paying for it?

Say you've symptoms and get a free test

You have to present a travel certificate of a negative test at the hotel reception, I don't think they give that with the HSE test.

acequion wrote: »
    Totally see your point RobitTV but I would be slow to hand over that kind of money. If people pay those exorbitant sums there will be nothing stopping the rip off merchants who charge them and those rip off prices could become the norm.

Now I'd be a right stubborn bollix there and on principle would probably refuse to pay and would cancel. But would suffer too as I so know what it feels to need a break.

Maybe wait and see if you can avail of a cheaper antigen test? Maybe just wait, don't knee jerk?

Yeah I see where you are coming from 100% and I really hope these cheaper antigen tests arrive in Ireland. I can't find this option anywhere at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

RobitTV wrote: »
    Yeah I see where you are coming from 100% and I really hope these cheaper antigen tests arrive in Ireland. I can't find this option anywhere at the moment.

Hard to know when but it’ll be sooner rather than later imo, it’s the only option if we want to avoid an inevitable collapse of the European airline industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Flew to the Netherlands Sunday to visit family , and back last night, collected a rental car in Schipol, drove to northern Holland and stayed in a Hotel, pubs and restaurants only doing takeaway, Hotel's serving food and drink till 8pm, all other shops open. Great to get away from them yellow signs for a few days.
    Safetest.ie , doing Antigen testing for € 95, and PCR for €130

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

This is what we need in place at the airport.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/breath-test-can-diagnose-covid-19-within-one-minute-1025957.html

In the meantime, Holohan is now advising people not to fly home for Xmas.

• Advertisement

Tazz T wrote: »
    This is what we need in place at the airport.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/breath-test-can-diagnose-covid-19-within-one-minute-1025957.html

In the meantime, Holohan is now advising people not to fly home for Xmas.

Well, Holohan can [insert word here]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

You have to present a travel certificate of a negative test at the hotel reception, I don't think they give that with the HSE test.

As regards the Canaries, at the moment what they are proposing, also included as an option is that you can go locally to get tested after arriving, your accommodation will point you in there direction, the amount being talked about is €20/30 for an antigen test,

Time will tell how this option works out in reality & how convenient it is, don't know what happens if you test positive there though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Holohan and NPHET are public enemy number one at this stage, no trick or treating for kids, no family alowed to travel home for xmas, if it was down to him we'd be locked down for around 4 months , he's a lock down fanatic it would appear when it's been proved beyond any doubts that lock downs will only wreck the ecomony, people will become more depressed, mental health cases through the roof, mass unemploymewnt, nothing to do or look forward to in life, there's some amount of anger out there right now, the first lock down people were upset and shocked but stuck it out, but now all i can see is just anger, where does this end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

My wife and I went to Sicily the week before last. We needed to get away, and with an impending (at the time) lockdown, we just said feck it and went. Masks on planes, no one sitting beside us, mandatory masks on the streets over there (which is a ****ing pain after a while), pints in the sun. Didn't realise how much we needed a break from our house till we go there. No issue with any sort of quarantine on return, since we are in full lockdown anyway.

I'd recommend anyone who is able to do it, to just go.

Kiith wrote: »
    My wife and I went to Sicily the week before last. We needed to get away, and with an impending (at the time) lockdown, we just said feck it and went. Masks on planes, no one sitting beside us, mandatory masks on the streets over there (which is a ****ing pain after a while), pints in the sun. Didn't realise how much we needed a break from our house till we go there. No issue with any sort of quarantine on return, since we are in full lockdown anyway.

I'd recommend anyone who is able to do it, to just go.

Good for you. Im Valencia bound tomorrow

Ironically, the lockdown has made it easier to travel. As you say, we are restricting our movements anyway, so there is no issue around the 2 week restriction of movement upon return

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Westieatheart

We are due to get away on Friday to escape the misery cannot wait to escape the current atmosphere for a few days, has anyone had any issues getting turned around driving to the airport, we have to drive up the M7 and see there are regular checkpoints from Naas onwards :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

We are due to get away on Friday to escape the misery cannot wait to escape the current misery for a few days, has anyone had any issues getting turned around driving to the airport, we have to drive up the M7 and see there are regular checkpoints from Naas onwards :(

You have flights booked and are going to the airport - no issues

It's so ridiculous that the antigen tests aren't widespread after all these months. They should be carrying them out in all Irish airports right now to ensure safe travel and peace of mind.

Currently you have to fork out €180 for a test and for the travel certificate. It's simply pure and utter greed, exploiting the pandemic and turning the situation into a nice profit machine. What a surprise!

And Ireland will be the last as usual to bring in the antigen tests. Maybe in 2030 Chairman Holohan will let the elected government have a say on this issue, instead of the dictatorial NPHET fools.

Maybe in 2030 Chairman Holohan will let the elected government have a say on this issue, instead of the dictatorial NPHET fools.

Im sorry but thats just ridiculous. THe NPHET is an advisory board made up of professionals in the field. The government would be negligent to just completely ignore the advise given by their own top advisors in the field. Having taken on board that advise, the elected government will and has made its own decisions.

As for calling them fools, I may not like what they say and have an opinion but they are not fools, they know far more in their chosen field than I do and probable everyone on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Im sorry but thats just ridiculous. THe NPHET is an advisory board made up of professionals in the field. The government would be negligent to just completely ignore the advise given by their own top advisors in the field. Having taken on board that advise, the elected government will and has made its own decisions.
    As for calling them fools, I may not like what they say and have an opinion but they are not fools, they know far more in their chosen field than I do and probable everyone on this thread.

Nice jumping to their defence, jeeze....

If the last few months have proven anything the NPHET under Holohan has grown into more than just an advisory group...
    ....a combination of lack of strong government leadership and being led by a highly skilled political operator, i.e. Holohan...

They have messed up everything from predicting how many would become infected, how many would die.. and everything in between.... they may be experts in their job positions, they aren't at the top of their professions by international standards...

....so Sleepy Eamonn wants to introduce airport testing by Christmas.... only 9 months after they should have.... Holohan is already pouring cold water in the media on travel being opened up for Christmas, guess who will win out on that! many people won't be able to return for Xmas this year as result.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1028/1174444-transport-committee/

'The chief executive of Ryanair has criticised NPHET, saying it got it wrong on care homes, meat factories and face coverings - and on international travel during the summer too.'

Fair play to Eddie for speaking the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭acequion

Most unfortunately many of them are exactly that, fools. The calibre of our elected representatives leaves an awful lot to be desired. Just look at the succession of incompetent education ministers, the present incumbent included and look at how education has been handled since the start of this crisis. The LC will go ahead by hook or by crook, the LC will go ahead in August, the LC is cancelled and throw in the subsequent fiasco with calculated grades for good measure. That's just one department. Many who hold ministerial office wouldn't be the brightest sparks and yes actually you'll often find far sharper minds commenting on such forums as these and very probably better knowledge.

So I have zero confidence in them. As for Holohan, zero confidence in him either given his record with cervical check and his very obvious arrogance. These people are on huge salaries with guaranteed pensions, they'll all ride off into the sunset but will they destroy this country first? I'm actually very worried. And to bring it back to this travel thread, I'm worried that the wonderful connectivity we have all enjoyed and taken for granted could be a thing of the past not due to the pandemic, which will eventually pass, but due to a combination of ineptitude, arrogance, cowardice and dire decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

They are not fools, that for sure. NPHET's professionals and advisers will be set for life, thanks for the "pandemic"!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Heading to Alicante on Friday for two weeks, it's a no brainer for me. Fortunate that I can and that I can then self isolate when I come back and that that period will be finished when the lockdown (hopefully) will be lifted. In my personal opinion the government has made huge mistakes along the way not least this latest move to level 5 without giving level 3 a chance. I've seen this described as a failure of nerve on their part and would agree with that assessment. As previous posters have said the economy and a lot of our culture is being destroyed when our actual key numbers (hospitalisations/ICU/deaths) are not that bad in the overall scheme of things and, in my opinion, do not justify a level 5 lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    Heading to Alicante on Friday for two weeks, it's a no brainer for me. Fortunate that I can and that I can then self isolate when I come back and that that period will be finished when the lockdown (hopefully) will be lifted.

Just an FYI, you are not 'advised' to self-isolate when you come back from travel abroad, just restrict your movements.

Restricting your movements is pretty much what we all do in level 5 (avoid public transport unless necessary, large crowds and don't travel far from your home).

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Cheers, you're spot on, will most likely just ly low anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    Cheers, you're spot on, will most likely just ly low anyway.

We are all lying low so it makes no difference

Just back from my second trip to Italy, the last one was August.

Since the last time I was there masks in public became mandatory - which does become a bit of a dose.

Pubs and restaurants are now closing at 6,but at least you can get out before then.

Overall, it was a great trip. You can forget about the virus when over there. None of those yellow and black signs.

I don't use public transport in Ireland, but I did in Italy, no seats were cordoned off for social distancing. You just wear a mask!

Currently thinking of the next trip, maybe the Christmas markets in Germany?

Delighted, that I can come home and don't have to quarantine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

FrStone wrote: »

Germany is going into 4 week lockdown now with an uncertain end, as in, it should only be 4 weeks but who knows. Maybe they’ll go all Tony on it and revel in the inflicted pain for a bit longer

Aside from that, there’s an ever decreasing list of markets actually happening. Nurnberg and Cologne cancelled over the week, the bigger ones in Berlin cancelled before that. Munich may still go ahead but it’s far from certain, and if it does it will be mostly stands of tree decorations and cribs with the catering relocated away from the markets stands, with reduced capacity and segregated with strict entry controls and contact tracing .

Germany is going into 4 week lockdown now with an uncertain end, as in, it should only be 4 weeks but who knows. Maybe they’ll go all Tony on it and revel in the inflicted pain for a bit longer

Aside from that, there’s an ever decreasing list of markets actually happening. Nurnberg and Cologne cancelled over the week, the bigger ones in Berlin cancelled before that. Munich may still go ahead but it’s far from certain, and if it does it will be mostly stands of tree decorations and cribs with the catering relocated away from the markets stands, with reduced capacity and segregated with strict entry controls and contact tracing .

Thanks for the advice.

I suppose like all travel at the moment, it will be a last minute decision.

I wonder what the skiing resorts will be like in January.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

They’re supposed to be an advisory board. Yet Holohan is regularly doing media interviews and stints on the Late Late Show. That’s not what advisers should be doing.

Today he was quoted as saying, “I have decided if I am recommending people come home to Ireland from abroad to visit family for Christmas”

NPHET and Holohan in particular has regularly being pulling focus, creating hysteria and leaking information detrimental to the national interest.

The guy should have been fired for the cervical smear scandal anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

FrStone wrote: »
    Just back from my second trip to Italy, the last one was August.

Since the last time I was there masks in public became mandatory - which does become a bit of a dose.

Pubs and restaurants are now closing at 6,but at least you can get out before then.

Overall, it was a great trip. You can forget about the virus when over there. None of those yellow and black signs.

I don't use public transport in Ireland, but I did in Italy, no seats were cordoned off for social distancing. You just wear a mask!

I had flights booked with Lufthansa from Dublin to Czech Republic via Frankfurt for the end of November (rather a stop off with business class than a Ryanair cattle cart direct), they've cancelled both legs of my flight , seem to have little going on for November/december. Could be some German airport closures ruining that buzz.

Let me know if you find different though, wouldn't mind a bit of the fatherland myself.

faceman wrote: »
    They’re supposed to be an advisory board. Yet Holohan is regularly doing media interviews and stints on the Late Late Show. That’s not what advisers should be doing.

Today he was quoted as saying, “I have decided if I am recommending people come home to Ireland from abroad to visit family for Christmas”

NPHET and Holohan in particular has regularly being pulling focus, creating hysteria and leaking information detrimental to the national interest.

The guy should have been fired for the cervical smear scandal anyway

Yes, he is rolled out just as the medical advisor is in every country. To answer medical questions. Hes doing so with the blessing of the government and that quote confirms it, he is recommending. The government wil or wont adopt such a policy.

that still doesnt lead to an unelected, stasi state run by a fool as the user claimed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Ah, another echo chamber of selfish people causing the continued spreading of this virus. Very good.

I hope all of your flights are canceled (unless you have a valid reason to go) especially the weird fella' a few posts up who is bragging about going to Italy this month and Germany next month. Stop your continued attention-seeking and grow up, you childish cretin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement