Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Xenoman11

Ah, another echo chamber of selfish people causing the continued spreading of this virus. Very good.

I hope all of your flights are canceled (unless you have a valid reason to go) especially the weird fella' a few posts up who is bragging about going to Italy this month and Germany next month. Stop your continued attention-seeking and grow up, you childish cretin.

stay in the attic if you're that worried what about the hundred of thousands of people employed directly and indirectly in aviation and tourism here or do they nit matter

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Xenoman11 wrote: »
    stay in the attic if you're that worried what about the hundred of thousands of people employed directly and indirectly in aviation and tourism here or do they nit matter

Their health matters more than the bottom line of the company that employs them. I sincerely hope the current restrictions keep them, and their families, in good health.

Their health matters more than the bottom line of the company that employs them. I sincerely hope the current restrictions keep them, and their families, in good health.

what if said company goes broke and a family are left without income? I doubt cork airport staff are jumping for joy that their health is preserved after today

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Xenoman11 wrote: »
    what if said company goes broke and a family are left without income? I doubt cork airport staff are jumping for joy that their health is preserved after today

Then thankfully we have the pandeic unemployment payment to keep them steady until this whole thing blows over.

So you've given the worst extreme possible - they lose their job. What's the flip-side of that, the worst case possible if they remained open/working? Daddy airport worker might die. Little Jimmy might lose his grandparents. Little Jimmy might get covid-19 himself and suffer long-term illness from it. It wont just be their family either.

Then thankfully we have the pandeic unemployment payment to keep them steady until this whole thing blows over.

So you've given the worst extreme possible - they lose their job. What's the flip-side of that, the worst case possible if they remained open/working? Daddy airport worker might die. Little Jimmy might lose his grandparents. Little Jimmy might get covid-19 himself and suffer long-term illness from it. It wont just be their family either.

that's ridiculous. the under 70 death toll is virtually negligible. what's going to keep a roof over little Jimmys head? to be blunt what planet are you on that you think this whole thing will 'blow over?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Thinking of booking a trip for early December, I only really want to travel if within recommendations in Ireland and the destination.

My thinking is that early December things should be back to normal level and travel should be okay as Ireland should be amber and so should Germany.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Thinking of booking a trip for early December, I only really want to travel if within recommendations in Ireland and the destination.

My thinking is that early December things should be back to normal level and travel should be okay as Ireland should be amber and so should Germany.

Thoughts?

Difficult to know, a bit too early.
    I'm in a similar position as you, looking to plan my Christmas trip back home to Greece to visit my family. I expect that travelling will be possible and allowed, especially with the new EU traffic light system, but will we need to do a test before travelling or self isolate when arriving at our destination?

I have already started looking at private medical centers that I could do a PCR test if I had to. But I don't plan to book anything until later in November. It looks like Ireland might be ahead of the curve going on lockdown first, which means that in 6 weeks our numbers might look better that other countries, so the restrictions might be stricter in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

FrStone wrote: »
    Just back from my second trip to Italy, the last one was August.

Since the last time I was there masks in public became mandatory - which does become a bit of a dose.

Pubs and restaurants are now closing at 6,but at least you can get out before then.

Overall, it was a great trip. You can forget about the virus when over there. None of those yellow and black signs.

I don't use public transport in Ireland, but I did in Italy, no seats were cordoned off for social distancing. You just wear a mask!

Currently thinking of the next trip, maybe the Christmas markets in Germany?

Delighted, that I can come home and don't have to quarantine too.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any markets, or certainly not anything like what there usually is. Pretty crushing, as I wanted to go last year to the markets in Austria, didn't make it and was looking forward to going this year, but I can't see anything being on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm not a Covid denier, and I'm not going to travel at the moment as the risk exceeds the enjoyment. However I think we will begin to turn the corner next year, and rapid testing and some initial vaccines will make a big difference in safety. I'm expecting to travel next year, but it will probably be in late Q2/Q3 & we'll be leaving the booking relatively late for when we know more about what is happening. I'll be looking to travel somewhere where outdoor dining is the norm. A big concern is that there may be limited airline & hotel capacity and a big rush to book it. Late next year & 2022 I expect things to be back to normal, perhaps with a few small things like masks on planes.

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm not a Covid denier, and I'm not going to travel at the moment as the risk exceeds the enjoyment. However I think we will begin to turn the corner next year, and rapid testing and some initial vaccines will make a big difference in safety. I'm expecting to travel next year, but it will probably be in late Q2/Q3 & we'll be leaving the booking relatively late for when we know more about what is happening. I'll be looking to travel somewhere where outdoor dining is the norm. A big concern is that there may be limited airline & hotel capacity and a big rush to book it. Late next year & 2022 I expect things to be back to normal, perhaps with a few small things like masks on planes.

I'll wear high heels and a leopard print thong on the plane if it gets me traveling again

• Advertisement

I'd be feeling quite similar to you...not even just the risk but having to quarantine when coming back (I'm in London) is a pain in the hole.

I have loads of annual leave I need to use up before April and I don't know what to do for the best....try to travel now before Christmas or keep holding on and hoping that things get better. Even being able to go somewhere and not quarantine would be a win at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Thanks to NPHET and the government, a lot of people missed the opportunity to travel during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

We are due to get away on Friday to escape the misery cannot wait to escape the current atmosphere for a few days, has anyone had any issues getting turned around driving to the airport, we have to drive up the M7 and see there are regular checkpoints from Naas onwards :(

Drove 3 hours up and 3 hours back last week, level 3 going to airport and level 5 coming back last weekend. No checkpoint or stops anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

I’m booked to Spain this Friday. Will be renting a car, driving to an apartment beside a golf course and shopping once/twice a week for groceries. Days will consist of walks on the beach, working from home and games of golf! Will be staying 20 minutes east of Malaga near the coast.

What’s the current view on Spanish restrictions? Are they likely to impose a strict lockdown or one which still allow safe leisure activities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Golfman64 wrote: »
    I’m booked to Spain this Friday. Will be renting a car, driving to an apartment beside a golf course and shopping once/twice a week for groceries. Days will consist of walks on the beach, working from home and games of golf! Will be staying 20 minutes east of Malaga near the coast.

What’s the current view on Spanish restrictions? Are they likely to impose a strict lockdown or one which still allow safe leisure activities.

That region, Andalucia, has closed its region’s borders domestically with the exception of essential travel. Curfew is in place from 11pm to 6am. This doesn’t affect flights in and out

The 14 day rate per 100,000 is 327 and still increasing. However the impact of curfew won’t be seen for another 2 weeks.

Keep an eye on the news but if you’re outside the big cities I wouldn’t be too worried. Spain locks down areas by town or by hospital catchment area and there’s rarely any surprises when they do.

Enjoy the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

faceman wrote: »
    That region, Andalucia, has closed its region’s borders domestically with the exception of essential travel. Curfew is in place from 11pm to 6am. This doesn’t affect flights in and out

The 14 day rate per 100,000 is 327 and still increasing. However the impact of curfew won’t be seen for another 2 weeks.

Keep an eye on the news but if you’re outside the big cities I wouldn’t be too worried. Spain locks down areas by town or by hospital catchment area and there’s rarely any surprises when they do.

Enjoy the trip!

Thanks for that, very useful.

I might now be alright to go away - work are being a bit less awkward about overseas travel than they were.

Got my eye on Palma de Mallorca still....anyone have up-to-date info on how things are there cases-wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Westieatheart

Question, I need to evidence we haven't been in a different country in the last 10 days (we haven't left the country since Feb of this year) and to prove this they have asked me to take documents like the confirmation of residence, certificate of employment, receipts or similar with usto show that I have only stayed in that particular country.

Can I ask what others have brought (we are travelling to Austria) ? other than a utility bill etc or work contract im at a loss what to show them? leaving tomorrow so getting slightly nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Question, I need to evidence we haven't been in a different country in the last 10 days (we haven't left the country since Feb of this year) and to prove this they have asked me to take documents like the confirmation of residence, certificate of employment, receipts or similar with usto show that I have only stayed in that particular country.

Can I ask what others have brought (we are travelling to Austria) ? other than a utility bill etc or work contract im at a loss what to show them? leaving tomorrow so getting slightly nervous

Seems a ridiculous request - how do you prove a negative? The only thing I could show that would show that would be my online banking showing transactions in Ireland for the period.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Westieatheart

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Seems a ridiculous request - how do you prove a negative? The only thing I could show that would show that would be my online banking showing transactions in Ireland for the period.

Yeah I agree seems a bit vague, we basically haven't left the house other than food shopping the last months and weeks so am a bit stumped on how exactly to verify..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I might now be alright to go away - work are being a bit less awkward about overseas travel than they were.

Got my eye on Palma de Mallorca still....anyone have up-to-date info on how things are there cases-wise?

I know you have been posting regularly about your concerns for infections. Tbh if you want to totally play it safe then head to the canaries. They’re the only region of Spain with a decreasing rate and the cases per 100,000 is low. They don’t have curfew or restrictions seen in other areas.

faceman wrote: »
    I know you have been posting regularly about your concerns for infections. Tbh if you want to totally play it safe then head to the canaries. They’re the only region of Spain with a decreasing rate and the cases per 100,000 is low. They don’t have curfew or restrictions seen in other areas.

Thanks...will have another look but a bit put off by the need to have a covid test. Testing positive while there and needing to quarantine would be awful. Or have I misunderstood the need for it?

Thanks...will have another look but a bit put off by the need to have a covid test. Testing positive while there and needing to quarantine would be awful. Or have I misunderstood the need for it?

Given how cautious you are at home I’d be highly surprised if you tested positive. The other way of viewing it is that doing the test will give you piece of mind that you’re healthy and so are the people around you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Given how cautious and apprehensive you appear to be about travelling, I would recommend waiting until a level of normality has returned before venturing out from your home town...

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

FrStone wrote: »
    Just back from my second trip to Italy, the last one was August.

Since the last time I was there masks in public became mandatory - which does become a bit of a dose.

Pubs and restaurants are now closing at 6,but at least you can get out before then.

Just out of curiosity, how did you manage to fill your evenings after 6pm?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Given how cautious and apprehensive you appear to be about travelling, I would recommend waiting until a level of normality has returned before venturing out from your home town...

I mean, I'm just aware that I generally have terrible luck. I'm pretty sure that the chances of getting covid on the flight or while over there are tiny, but if anyone was going to have that happen, it would be me. I'm pretty unlucky with my health. :(

Speaking of tests, are these still the nose and throat swab tests? Or have they started using the blood tests at airports?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I'm off to Belgium for some very important business meetings, and no doubt we will have pints to celebrate some of the terrific deals being done. I'll try not to bring back the COVID. Anyone know if the airport bars are open too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

GazzaL wrote: »
    I'm off to Belgium for some very important business meetings, and no doubt we will have pints to celebrate some of the terrific deals being done. I'll try not to bring back the COVID. Anyone know if the airport bars are open too?

In Dublin or Brussels?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 coppergrass

You have flights booked and are going to the airport - no issues

That's interesting. According to the level 5 restrictions you can:
    Travel to the airport or port to leave Ireland if you normally live in another country, or travelling to where you will stay if you have arrived in Ireland
    Is this not being enforced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

In Dublin or Brussels?

Brussels. I'd assume they closed in Pyongyang Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement