Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

That's interesting. According to the level 5 restrictions you can:
    Is this not being enforced?

Nope. It says you 'should not leave your home' unless - not you cannot!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

I might now be alright to go away - work are being a bit less awkward about overseas travel than they were.

Got my eye on Palma de Mallorca still....anyone have up-to-date info on how things are there cases-wise?
    GazzaL wrote: »
    Brussels. I'd assume they closed in Pyongyang Dublin.

Bars and Restaurants closed in Brussels and full lockdown soon it seems

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/belgium-all-news/138277/consultative-committee-what-belgium-is-expected-to-discuss-regulations-lockdown-non-essential-shops-hairdressers-movements-social-contacts-celeval-coronavirus-pedro-facon-alexander-de-cro/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

I mean, I'm just aware that I generally have terrible luck. I'm pretty sure that the chances of getting covid on the flight or while over there are tiny, but if anyone was going to have that happen, it would be me. I'm pretty unlucky with my health. :(

Speaking of tests, are these still the nose and throat swab tests? Or have they started using the blood tests at airports?

Given you were so cautious during the first wave of the pandemic on the UK thread, why argue for going to Spain? Particularly when we know that the second wave in the virus is largely with us because of cases from Spain in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Given you were so cautious during the first wave of the pandemic on the UK thread, why argue for going to Spain? Particularly when we know that the second wave in the virus is largely with us because of cases from Spain in the summer.

Why not go to Spain? The Virus is everywhere... The virus is largely with us because Governments failed to introduce a common travel, test&trace system across the EU..
    The strain you're going on about isn't found in France which has 50,000 cases a day, so how do you explain those numbers? Spain again is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

Spain will still be an option from Dublin but as of next month there'll be no flights to holiday destinations from any other airport in the country until probably April. Plus Knock and Shannon will be closed until the at least the run up to Christmas. Paddy did what Paddy was told and aviation is screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

The article itself says:
    Hodcroft said: “Certainly, it is associated with the second wave, but we don’t think it’s responsible for it.

“It’s not very different from the variants that circulated in spring. It only has six more mutations, most of which we are absolutely sure don’t do anything.

“Most importantly, we really don’t think that mutations have any impact on any immunity someone might have from being infected, or on a vaccine, and we have no indications that it changes the clinical course of the disease.”

The time for quarantine was way back in February, BEFORE the virus was established here, with widespread local transmission. Now that it's become established, it's really neither here nor there whether the dominant strains are this latest one from Spain or from somewhere else. There was always going to be more widespread transmission once things opened up, because it was still circulating at a low level even during the height of lockdown, then the government decided it was a great idea to encourage people to go to bars and restaurants with Eat Out to Help Out.

I think that at this stage of the game, saying you have to quarantine from X or Y place when the rate is often the same or lower than the place you live is bordering on ludicrous. It's kind of like saying you shouldn't go to France in case you get a cold, while everyone in London is sniffling and blowing their nose. My chances of getting covid are far higher if I were to go to a local pub, a restaurant, even sit on a train where people aren't wearing masks properly, and yet all these things are totally fine, while flying to Spain isn't? Why?

I've done far, far more than my fair share during this pandemic. I've been sitting in my flat for months on end, while other people spent the summer out in pubs and restaurants, acting as if everything was fine again. I haven't been dating, I've barely seen friends, have barely set foot on public transport. I wear my mask religiously while other people sit there brazenly not bothering. I'm not going to feel remotely guilty for wanting to spend a few days somewhere sunny for the sake of my mental health. I hope the government see sense and stop this quarantine nonsense, and adopt more sensible measures like rapid testing, travel corridors to countries with similar risk levels and targeted quarantines, where they're necessary, instead of blanket bans on entire countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Acosta wrote: »
    Spain will still be an option from Dublin but as of next month there'll be no flights to holiday destinations from any other airport in the country until probably April. Plus Knock and Shannon will be closed until the at least the run up to Christmas. Paddy did what Paddy was told and aviation is screwed.

aer lingus pulling out of Malaga next Month. heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

GazzaL wrote: »
    I'm off to Belgium for some very important business meetings, and no doubt we will have pints to celebrate some of the terrific deals being done. I'll try not to bring back the COVID. Anyone know if the airport bars are open too?

You can get a pint in Dublin airport anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Heard people say today that Aer Lingus have cancelled a large amount of flights in December that go to the Canary Islands and mainland Spain.

Not looking good...

I've done far, far more than my fair share during this pandemic. I've been sitting in my flat for months on end, while other people spent the summer out in pubs and restaurants, acting as if everything was fine again. I haven't been dating, I've barely seen friends, have barely set foot on public transport. I wear my mask religiously while other people sit there brazenly not bothering. I'm not going to feel remotely guilty for wanting to spend a few days somewhere sunny for the sake of my mental health. I hope the government see sense and stop this quarantine nonsense, and adopt more sensible measures like rapid testing, travel corridors to countries with similar risk levels and targeted quarantines, where they're necessary, instead of blanket bans on entire countries.

The measures shouldn't be based on what someone thinks they've contributed. Not to be overly blunt but nobody cares. We've all made sacrifices. What's important is that people (collectively) do what is necessary to send the virus packing. Travelling and spreading this around won't do that.

Here's a quote from the same article:
    “I feel like in Europe we want it all, we want to be able to go on holiday, we want to have bars open, pubs open, clubs open – but with such an infectious virus and [the] associated hospitalisation rate, it is pretty much an impossible ask,” said Sridhar.

She said the seeding of infections by travellers not only kicked off the epidemic in the UK, but that reseeding by such means was likely to be a recurrent problem. “The biggest mistake actually that the world did early on was not to use travel restrictions more to control the spread – the countries that did have done better,” she said.

Selfishness has re-imported this virus. More selfishness won't help. It doesn't matter how much we think we've done. The virus doesn't care.

• Advertisement

The measures shouldn't be based on what someone thinks they've contributed. Not to be overly blunt but nobody cares. We've all made sacrifices. What's important is that people (collectively) do what is necessary to send the virus packing. Travelling and spreading this around won't do that.

Travel isn't any riskier than going to the local for a few drinks, or to a restaurant so where is the logic behind me being able to go to several different bars in an evening, but having to quarantine because I flew to Spain, wearing a mask and taking safety precautions, and spent my time there pretty much alone, in the outside fresh air?

There isn't any logic there. At all. I'm still way less of a risk than even your average person, who might be going out once a week.

I know you love Boris but it's impossible to 'send the virus packing'. That isn't a thing. The sensible thing to do for anyone with half a brain would have been to stop it getting here in the first place by cancelling flights and quarantining people early on, but he failed spectacularly at that. It's too late now. It's here to stay, until we have a vaccine, and probably for some time after that as well.

How do you not get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Belt

FrStone wrote: »
    You can get a pint in Dublin airport anyway!

Is it only airside you can get a pint in dublin airport??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

RobitTV wrote: »
    Heard people say today that Aer Lingus have cancelled a large amount of flights in December that go to the Canary Islands and mainland Spain.

Not looking good...

I think it's the lack of demand and the uncertainty that causes all the cancellations.
    I started looking for flights to Athens for Christmas and there are much less options compared to last year, and prices seem to be somewhat steeper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I know you love Boris but it's impossible to 'send the virus packing'. That isn't a thing.

I think our friend is a Tory/closet Boris fan! :D

They don't realise either that it's possible to safely travel multiple times, go have dinner, drinks, some sun and remain completely Virus free.... though they will never accept that and will go around in circles whilst hiding under the bed in the hope a vaccine will come along, meanwhile the rest of us will just get on with it.

Travel isn't any riskier than going to the local for a few drinks, or to a restaurant so where is the logic behind me being able to go to several different bars in an evening, but having to quarantine because I flew to Spain, wearing a mask and taking safety precautions, and spent my time there pretty much alone, in the outside fresh air?

There isn't any logic there. At all. I'm still way less of a risk than even your average person, who might be going out once a week.

I know you love Boris but it's impossible to 'send the virus packing'. That isn't a thing. The sensible thing to do for anyone with half a brain would have been to stop it getting here in the first place by cancelling flights and quarantining people early on, but he failed spectacularly at that. It's too late now. It's here to stay, until we have a vaccine, and probably for some time after that as well.

How do you not get it?

Actually I think he should have done more on travel.

The virus also doesn't care about how much you dislike the Tories.

The article I cited showed that travel contributed to the spread of the virus this summer. You can ignore that if you like but the facts remain.

Actually I think he should have done more on travel.

The virus also doesn't care about how much you dislike the Tories.

The article I cited showed that travel contributed to the spread of the virus. You can ignore that if you like but the facts remain.

How do you still not get it?

The virus is well on its way to being endemic now. Saying 'travel contributed to the spread of the virus' is like saying you got a cold in Sainsburys. Yes, you might have got it there, or you might have got it anywhere else you'd been. Why do you think covid is any different? It's everywhere. The time for quarantines was before it all really kicked off. Now all it's doing is preventing people seeing loved ones and making a bad situation worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Belt wrote: »
    Is it only airside you can get a pint in dublin airport??

Only air side.. You can get a one way boarding pass cheap enough. A boarding pass could be the new substantial meal.

How do you still not get it?

The virus is well on its way to being endemic now. Saying 'travel contributed to the spread of the virus' is like saying you got a cold in Sainsburys. Yes, you might have got it there, or you might have got it anywhere else you'd been. Why do you think covid is any different? It's everywhere. The time for quarantines was before it all really kicked off. Now all it's doing is preventing people seeing loved ones and making a bad situation worse.

I guess you didn't read the article then? Travel continues to be a key cause of the virus' spread. You can ignore that if you wish but it doesn't make this any less true.

You speak of not seeing loved ones as if you are somehow alone in that. We've all had to make sacrifices.

I guess you didn't read the article then? Travel continues to be a key cause of the virus' spread. You can ignore that if you wish but it doesn't make this any less true.

You speak of not seeing loved ones as if you are somehow alone in that. We've all had to make sacrifices.

So do I understand correctly - your opinion is that if I can travel to spend Christmas with my family I shouldn't and instead spend it here on my own?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You see the world through such a narrow lens, you’re at risk of walking off a cliff. You’re obsessed with branding travel as the sole reason the virus is present in society. What’s your real beef here?

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    You see the world through such a narrow lens, you’re at risk of walking off a cliff. You’re obsessed with branding travel as the sole reason the virus is present in society. What’s your real beef here?

Makes it easier to label people who have been making sacrifices for months and now just want to see loved ones as 'selfish' rather than admit that his hero Boris screwed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Me 4 weeks ago: "I loathe Irish Winters and I need heat and sunshine for at least the next 4 months. The Spanish Valencian region looks like the best, safest option"

Me today: "Oh for fúcks sake"

It really looks like Ireland is the "safest" place in the EU right now. Even in Dublin

Hard to know what to do with Airlines cancelling routes left and right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

What's the story with transiting through different EU countries after arriving on a flight from Ireland? All ok?

Irish Aris wrote: »
    So do I understand correctly - your opinion is that if I can travel to spend Christmas with my family I shouldn't and instead spend it here on my own?

You say this as if other people aren't making these forms of sacrifices. I'm personally not going to Ireland this Christmas and won't have seen my family in the flesh for a year but if that gets us through the pandemic sooner then sure I'd do this. In the same way I regrettably didn't have family at my wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

You say this as if other people aren't making these forms of sacrifices. I'm personally not going to Ireland this Christmas and won't have seen my family in the flesh for a year but if that gets us through the pandemic sooner then sure I'd do this. In the same way I regrettably didn't have family at my wedding.

You will never be thanked for this. Nor your sacrifices remembered.

You are deluding yourself if you think any positive action, such as not travelling to Ireland, will somehow end all this measurably sooner.

Ok, got it.
    I guess we will agree to disagree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

That's not good,but don't you think that you could have come home/had family at your wedding in a safe as possible way.Everything in life has some kind of risk

3xh wrote: »
    You will never be thanked for this. Nor your sacrifices remembered.

You are deluding yourself if you think any positive action, such as not travelling to Ireland, will somehow end all this measurably sooner.

I don't expect to be thanked.

I do expect people to acknowledge the fact that the first strain came to us by travel and the second strain came largely by travel.

It is ostrich syndrome to claim otherwise when the facts are clear.

I don't expect to be thanked.

I do expect people to acknowledge the fact that the first strain came to us by travel and the second strain came largely by travel.

It is ostrich syndrome to claim otherwise when the facts are clear.

Do you actually think that's how it works? We had one 'strain' the first time and another 'strain' this time that single handedly caused the second wave?

• Advertisement

Do you actually think that's how it works? We had one 'strain' the first time and another 'strain' this time that single handedly caused the second wave?

Feel free to read the article. Travel is a major cause.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement