Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 responder XX

Even if that were true, it would still have been brought in with travel. Lots of us would love to get away at the moment, but some of us just realise more than others that that could be counter-productive in our resolve to defeat coronavirus.

well yes - but my question really is if nobody had travelled but everyone behaved the same within Ireland, would the strain that was already in Ireland not have spread the same way at the same rate.

I'm speculating that the travel element of the current strain is really a red herring. I'm wondering if there is any actual evidence which disproves my speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

well yes - but my question really is if nobody had travelled but everyone behaved the same within Ireland, would the strain that was already in Ireland not have spread the same way at the same rate.

I'm speculating that the travel element of the current strain is really a red herring. I'm wondering if there is any actual evidence which disproves my speculation.

Cases in Ireland were incredibly low coming up to July, the measures were also eased. The second wave seems to correspond with other waves in other countries in Europe which would indicate it was travel related. That's also what we know from the genetic information of the virus that you cited earlier. Without the additional importations of the virus I doubt that there would be a second lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

So for travelling into Ireland for the EU the rules are.

Green: go.
    Orange: bring a negative test 72 hours before travel and go

I wonder what will be the rule for Red/Grey/NON EU countries.

lots of Irish will be coming back from the states over Christmas.

I presume if you come from an orange country without a negative test, that you will still only be asked to restrict your movements rather than anything legally enforceable?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

FrStone wrote: »
    I presume if you come from an orange country without a negative test, that you will still only be asked to restrict your movements rather than anything legally enforceable?

I’d imagine so. But I know in the case of Irish going to Germany they can refuse entry at the border. Airline companies might also be required to ensure passengers have the test results before boarding or face a fine (similar to what they do with Visas).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I’d imagine so. But I know in the case of Irish going to Germany they can refuse entry at the border. Airline companies might also be required to ensure passengers have the test results before boarding or face a fine (similar to what they do with Visas).

Airlines would normally make sure you have the correct certs or whatever before you travel as they'd be obliged to take you back to Ireland if you got denied at the border..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Cases in Ireland were incredibly low coming up to July, the measures were also eased. The second wave seems to correspond with other waves in other countries in Europe which would indicate it was travel related. That's also what we know from the genetic information of the virus that you cited earlier. Without the additional importations of the virus I doubt that there would be a second lockdown.

That doesn't imply it's travel related at all.

It's more likely that the common behaviour of people in all these individual countries (including Ireland) is leading to the second wave.

For example, if school openings were responsible for the second wave then any country that opens schools would experience a similar second wave.

Does not mean the wave is travelling around from country to country.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Airlines would normally make sure you have the correct certs or whatever before you travel as they'd be obliged to take you back to Ireland if you got denied at the border..

The wording in this new piece suggests it’s either/or, show negative test or elect to quarantine. So the gate staff won’t be obligated to stop you from boarding (like in lack of visa cases etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

LLMMLL wrote: »
    It's more likely that the common behaviour of people in all these individual countries (including Ireland) is leading to the second wave.
    For example, if school openings were responsible for the second wave then any country that opens schools would experience a similar second wave.

Exactly, travelling by Air and going through airports is much safer than getting a bus and walking around a busy supermarket...

....we all know that the Virus was carried across the world back in the early part of this year and now it's everywhere..we just have to deal with it...however there's still those who are obsessed with shutting down all travel until there's a wide spread vaccine...

.....Eamon Ryan TD; “It gives people who have to travel, the option of not having to restrict their movements for two weeks. They will have to pay for the test, the State is not covering the cost.”

A reasonable position at this point towards opening up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

3xh wrote: »
    .....Eamon Ryan TD; “It gives people who have to travel, the option of not having to restrict their movements for two weeks. They will have to pay for the test, the State is not covering the cost.”

A reasonable position at this point towards opening up again.

Pcr test only according to him if coming from an orange country

• Advertisement

3xh wrote: »
    The wording in this new piece suggests it’s either/or, show negative test or elect to quarantine. So the gate staff won’t be obligated to stop you from boarding (like in lack of visa cases etc).

I'd Imagine the airlines will have to ensure you have either a valid test or a completed locator form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I'd Imagine the airlines will have to ensure you have either a valid test or a completed locator form.

For visitors yeah but can they refuse entry to Irish people returning home after a trip away?

I know Greece made it so that you needed to show your QR code at your boarding gate of departure airport or else no boarding.

The U.K. allowed airline passengers to board their flights into the U.K. and do the online application in their UK arrival airport. It just delayed you somewhat getting through. Took 10 mins. But you wouldn’t be denied boarding by gate staff.

So it all depends on what the Irish government decide. I suspect they’ll allow boarding at a foreign airport for a flight destined for ROI but insist on eventual completion of the PLF to gain entry through passport control. Like currently.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    For visitors yeah but can they refuse entry to Irish people returning home after a trip away?

That’s correct. They can’t/won’t stop you re-entering. But they’ll just enforce completion of the PLF for tracing with threat of €2500 fine/prison for not completing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

fm wrote: »
    Pcr test only according to him if coming from an orange country

Why a pcr test only... is the question I would be asking... plenty of new types.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't think it is worth it right now,

But off you go if allowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

More and more flights are being cancelled from Cork and Shannon airports. A disaster for industry and tourism. #ThanksTaoiseachTony

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

GazzaL wrote: »
    More and more flights are being cancelled from Cork and Shannon airports. A disaster for industry and tourism. #ThanksTaoiseachTony

That is because people are not in the mood now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

That is because people are not in the mood now.

The flights that are being cancelled aren't scheduled to depart for months. It's not like they're just cancelling flights due to operate in the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

speckle wrote: »
    Why a pcr test only... is the question I would be asking... plenty of new types.

To make it as difficult and expensive as possible for people to do it so in the end most wont travel which is what NPHET want anyways.

• Advertisement

LLMMLL wrote: »

We know the strain that has caused 60% of the current infections in Ireland is from Spain and came during the summer. So we know it is travel related.

I don't know why people are so desperate to deny the facts on this. I linked to the source article in this thread earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Quick question:

Say the UK goes to Orange. I go to London to see someone, not for any reason other than to see them and have a week away during Feb midterm.

Would I have to get a test before I go, and then try and source a test in the UK to come back as well and show in Ireland when I return?

I don't even know if UK are included in the traffic light system as they aren't in the EU?

Also how do we get around the UK being a different colour to us if we share a land border..

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Even if that were true, it would still have been brought in with travel. Lots of us would love to get away at the moment, but some of us just realise more than others that that could be counter-productive in our resolve to defeat coronavirus.

What's your plan to "defeat" the coronavirus? :pac: I wish you luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Quick question:

Say the UK goes to Orange. I go to London to see someone, not for any reason other than to see them and have a week away during Feb midterm.

Would I have to get a test before I go, and then try and source a test in the UK to come back as well and show in Ireland when I return?

I don't even know if UK are included in the traffic light system as they aren't in the EU?

Also how do we get around the UK being a different colour to us if we share a land border..

This is the exact situation I was thinking off, my thinking is you don’t need any test. None required for UK entry for the Irish, and then just restrict movements for 2 weeks on return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

We know the strain that has caused 60% of the current infections in Ireland is from Spain and came during the summer. So we know it is travel related.

I don't know why people are so desperate to deny the facts on this. I linked to the source article in this thread earlier.

You do realise that apart from patient one, every strain in every country is travel related.

A tiny percentage of the '60%' of current infections of the Spanish strain you refer to were caused by travel - the vast majority by domestic spread.

Tazz T wrote: »
    You do realise that apart from patient one, every strain in every country is travel related.

A tiny percentage of the '60%' of current infections of the Spanish strain you refer to were caused by travel - the vast majority by domestic spread.

Sure. But if you didn't have the introduction of infection through travel the onward spread wouldn't happen.

Yes, we need to have measures to control and stop onward spread domestically, but that is a fools errand if we don't have effective measures to stop the virus re-seeding through travel.

You can't have eased restrictions domestically, and free travel internationally which is going to lead to reseeding the virus. You need to choose what you want.

Edit: None of this avoids the obvious fact that if travel had been restricted this summer, the virus wouldn't have reseeded and we wouldn't be where we are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Have I got this right ?

Arrival from-

Green Countries - no test required, no need to quarantine

Orange Countries - quarantine 14 days unless PCR test showing negative within previous 72 hours

Red Countries - quarantine 14 days

EU Countries only are coded

Questions -

How much is PCR Test?

How much approx will this add to the cost of a family holiday (say 2 Adults and 2 Teens) ?

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Have I got this right ?

Arrival from-

Green Countries - no test required, no need to quarantine

Orange Countries - quarantine 14 days unless PCR test showing negative within previous 72 hours

Red Countries - quarantine 14 days

EU Countries only are coded

Questions -

How much is PCR Test?

How much approx will this add to the cost of a family holiday (say 2 Adults and 2 Teens) ?

There is no quarantine in ireland.
    The advice is 'restricted movements'

Eamon Ryan was on the radio yesterday and restricted movements from Red can be avoided by getting a negative PCR test 5 days after arriving in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Internation Travel

Hi my daughter is getting married in December, the wedding is here in Ireland, but my sister and her young daughter wanted to travel. The flight from USA leaves on the 27th December and wedding is on the 28th December, they would be traveling back to USA in the 31st December. They would both be tested before leaving USA, do you think it is possible for them to attend?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭NSAman

First of all, they have to make sure that they and everyone else is safe and they are not carriers.

They would have to be tested prior to departure, isolate themselves prior to departure.

Current rules would prohibit attending the wedding. They would have to self isolate voluntarily upon arrival.

That could change depending on the new rules being announced soon. (Being reported) fast testing being introduced in Dublin (sorry edited)

It’s not an easy one. Wait and see would be the answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement