Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Can't even possibly be a good idea surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I think the rule says you have to restrict movement for 14 days on arrival. I’d take that to mean you’d just have to be remain very still at the wedding then you are following the guidelines. No penalty either so nothing to lose really.

Best to consult the gov website and make an informed decision.

Congrats on the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It won’t be likely that they could stick to the rules and attend. America is not going to be okay from a travel point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Tazz T wrote: »
    A tiny percentage of the '60%' of current infections of the Spanish strain you refer to were caused by travel - the vast majority by domestic spread.

The contribution to the spread of the virus from air travel was so small that it was almost negligible over the summer...
    The low numbers traveling, the self isolation requirements, a lot of passengers getting tested means that travel by air didn't cause the spike of infections we've witnessed since the summer...
    And in fact shutting down travel completely would have made no difference to the numbers now.
    Air travel is one of the safest means of travel and remains so, virus or no virus.

Any twitter links to unpublished preprint studies should be taken with a massive grain of salt as they are not facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Have I got this right ?

Arrival from-

Green Countries - no test required, no need to quarantine

Orange Countries - quarantine 14 days unless PCR test showing negative within previous 72 hours

Red Countries - quarantine 14 days

EU Countries only are coded

Questions -

How much is PCR Test?

How much approx will this add to the cost of a family holiday (say 2 Adults and 2 Teens) ?

PCR test cost price for Test kit, reagents, processing plate, Tips etc is about €3500 per batch of 94... so about €40 each.

That doesn’t include cost of analyser or staff to operate it and collect the sample.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I think the rule says you have to restrict movement for 14 days on arrival. I’d take that to mean you’d just have to be remain very still at the wedding then you are following the guidelines. No penalty either so nothing to lose really.

Best to consult the gov website and make an informed decision.

Congrats on the wedding.

Depends on the status of the country you are coming from.
    If orange you can avoid restricted movements by bringing a negative test 72 hours before travel.

If Red you can get a test 5 days after landing and if negative then stop restricted movements

That won’t help the OP though, so unless their country is orange or green she wouldn’t be supposed to attend the wedding the day after landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Has anyone had experience with TMB I want to get a covid travel certificate for going to the Canary Islands in December. But I emailed them first for more information about the clinics and never got any reply back.

It makes me wonder are TMB only allowing people to get tested for work travel at the moment? because on their Twitter account it says about getting tested for work purposes.

Surely they wouldn't turn down a paying customer? since they are charging a large amount :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

To make it as difficult and expensive as possible for people to do it so in the end most wont travel which is what NPHET want anyways.

There is probably some truth to that lol, made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

RobitTV wrote: »
    Has anyone had experience with TMB I want to get a covid travel certificate for going to the Canary Islands in December. But I emailed them first for more information about the clinics and never got any reply back.

It makes me wonder are TMB only allowing people to get tested for work travel at the moment? because on their Twitter account it says about getting tested for work purposes.

Surely they wouldn't turn down a paying customer? since they are charging a large amount :pac:

Just rang them there as I am booked to the canary islands later this month, asked if they do Antigen tests and they said no, not very helpful either. No mention of work only though.Would perform PCR if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Sure. But if you didn't have the introduction of infection through travel the onward spread wouldn't happen.

Yes, we need to have measures to control and stop onward spread domestically, but that is a fools errand if we don't have effective measures to stop the virus re-seeding through travel.

You can't have eased restrictions domestically, and free travel internationally which is going to lead to reseeding the virus. You need to choose what you want.

Edit: None of this avoids the obvious fact that if travel had been restricted this summer, the virus wouldn't have reseeded and we wouldn't be where we are now.

You're not really getting this. By that same rationale all public transport should have been stopped, then that '60%' wouldn't have happened either. Study after study shows that air travel is far safer than other forms of public transport. And travel was restricted - in fact, it has been restricted more in Ireland than anywhere else in Europe, yet at the end of summer we had a 14 day rate 4 times higher than places like Greece which accepted thousands of holiday flights from all over Europe all summer.

• Advertisement

doogie! wrote: »
    Just rang them there as I am booked to the canary islands later this month, asked if they do Antigen tests and they said no, not very helpful either. No mention of work only though.Would perform PCR if needed.

Yeah they don't seem very helpful, rather unusual not to reply to my email considering I am a customer who could be about to spend 180 quid :confused:

I have requested an appointment with them on the website today, and they say they will be in contact with you. No confirmation or anything that you have booked a test, just that they will make contact with you..?

I might go somewhere else to be honest, Randox clinic are doing PCR testing at the Clayton hotel near Dublin Airport for 99 euro and that is considerably cheaper than the TMB 180 euro inflated price. (It says on the Randox website you get the results the next day) which is much better then TMB's timeline.

Link here if interested

You're not really getting this. By that same rationale all public transport should have been stopped, then that '60%' wouldn't have happened either. Study after study shows that air travel is far safer than other forms of public transport. And travel was restricted - in fact, it has been restricted more in Ireland than anywhere else in Europe, yet at the end of summer we had a 14 day rate 4 times higher than places like Greece which accepted thousands of holiday flights from all over Europe all summer.

Yeah exactly. You need to tell China this. They've got it all wrong. Rolling lockdowns and mass unemployment are so much more fun.

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1324248962593886212?s=20
    Beijing, which has for months largely contained the outbreak and seen the Chinese economy begin to recover, also imposed new rules on those who are allowed in. As of Friday 6 November, all passengers from the US, Germany, the Czech Republic and France must have tested negative for the Covid-19 virus as well as for antibodies within 48 hours of travelling. Passengers from Denmark are subject to the rule from 7 November. Starting on 8 November, those travelling from Australia, Singapore and Japan will be subject to the same rule.

Officials have said that the antibody test is to guard against false negatives in nucleic acid tests. A negative test for the antibody immunoglobulin M, or IgM, the body’s first response to the virus, would indicate that a person has never been exposed or that they have been infected and recovered.

Chinese residents have watched warily as the pandemic continues to spread in Europe and the US. As the UK prepared for its new lockdown, news of the number of private jet bookings circulated Chinese social media with the hashtag “Rich Brits take private jets to escape second lockdown” attracting more than 60m views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

I think you're the one not getting it.

There's no point restricting anything domestically if you're going to open up international travel, because no matter how hard you try to control it, it will get reseeded by international travel. This is what happened in the first wave, and it is what has happened in the second wave.

Domestic controls are useful for getting the virus under control within your own country, but travel controls are helpful for stopping people bringing more of the virus in while you are trying to do that.

The reason why we have lockdowns re-emerging across Europe at the moment is because we left travel open and we allowed more opportunities for the virus to re-enter our countries from elsewhere.

East Asia didn't make this mistake.

Edit: For some reason you're suggesting that I mean literally catching the virus on the plane. Although that could happen, it is more likely that people catch it when out and about in other countries and bring it back in. I'm not sure why people on this side of the argument think that we're saying that it is the plane itself that is the cause of reseeding the virus.

RobitTV wrote: »
    Yeah they don't seem very helpful, rather unusual not to reply to my email considering I am a customer who could be about to spend 180 quid :confused:

I have requested an appointment with them on the website today, and they say they will be in contact with you. No confirmation or anything that you have booked a test, just that they will make contact with you..?

I might go somewhere else to be honest, Randox clinic are doing PCR testing at the Clayton hotel near Dublin Airport for 99 euro and that is considerably cheaper than the TMB 180 euro inflated price. (It says on the Randox website you get the results the next day) which is much better then TMB's timeline.

Link here if interested

Don’t think you need PCR for canaries? Antigen will suffice and it’s less expensive and invasive but someone else may be able to confirm??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Don’t think you need PCR for canaries? Antigen will suffice and it’s less expensive and invasive but someone else may be able to confirm??

Do you need PCR for budgies or parrots?

GazzaL wrote: »

?

From the 14th of November the Canary Islands will require a negative test result on arrival at the hotel reception. I'm not sure if antigen testing will come to Ireland soon because we are way too slow. They won't even introduce testing at airports without causing a drama first.

el9zm2yxiaif0v5.jpg

GazzaL wrote: »

No just for Minks....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

I amn't going to travel until Feb 2021 I think anyway and maybe we'll see some progress on airport testing by then etc.

However, a group of friends of friends went to Lanzarote last week to wfh and instead of paying the 180 or 200 euro that it is to get a test, just rang their GP the week of travel and presented with symptoms and were booked in for testing that way.

If the tests are going to be that price, there will be fraudsters who just go through GP's for free ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm coming home for Christmas from a country with a great record of testing and safety. It did almost bring me and my job to its knees as that's what happens when it's a tax free country but I have never felt unsafe.

My biggest challenge will be getting a PCR test early on Stephen's Day to fly out on the morning of the 28th...

The price of the PCR is outrageous in Ireland. Costs roughly 50euro here and I can pick 4 or 5 locations 20 mins from my house to get one. 190euro is robbery...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

That^^^ Canary Islands document clearly says you can enter with no test result but present yourself at the relevant airport health desk and agree to be sent for testing at a local test facility.

Whilst waiting for said result, you can still stay at your accommodation.

You DO NOT need to arrange PCR/antigen testing in Ireland before departure.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm coming home for Christmas from a country with a great record of testing and safety...

Well there you go, Air travel is the safest way to get around..

...Plus when you come from the many countries across Europe who have a high testing regime, good enforcement of masks/distancing/hygiene then the chances of you picking up the virus abroad as you travel are negligible!

....So basically the chances of you catching the Virus here are much higher, better to go abroad and travel/holiday to countries with less or the same case rates as Ireland and have a good break in a nice place....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Tenzor07 wrote: »

...Plus when you come from the many countries across Europe who have a high testing regime, good enforcement of masks/distancing/hygiene then the chances of you picking up the virus abroad as you travel are negligible!

....So basically the chances of you catching the Virus here are much higher, better to go abroad and travel/holiday to countries with less or the same case rates as Ireland and have a good break in a nice place....

Way too much has happened at home with family members having had the virus and both grandparents dieing (not of the virus) so I can have all the blue skies and sandy beaches but it's not solving anything when all you've wanted for 6 months is to just sit 2 meters away from your parents and have a cup of tea.

I'll be quite happy to not even leave the home house for the entirety of my stay to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Internation Travel

Thanks all for your feedback ��

Sorry that should be ����

Sorry that should be 👍👍

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Sorry that's not quite correct. I think you need to stop being so negative about how well we are doing here and scaremongering people.

531909.png

531910.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Do we go to Amber if our positivity rate drops below 4%?

I note that our 7 day positivity rate is currently 4.4%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Do you not think that’s a bit irresponsible?
    I get what your saying but surely the right thing to do is to get tested before you travel?
    What if you do wait and get the test when you arrive and you are misfortunate and test positive ? If that were to happen you’ve potentially affected all the plane passengers, the airline crew and whoever else you’ve been in contact with en route to your accommodation.

3xh wrote: »
    That^^^ Canary Islands document clearly says you can enter with no test result but present yourself at the relevant airport health desk and agree to be sent for testing at a local test facility.

Whilst waiting for said result, you can still stay at your accommodation.

You DO NOT need to arrange PCR/antigen testing in Ireland before departure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

johnire wrote: »
    Do you not think that’s a bit irresponsible?
    I get what your saying but surely the right thing to do is to get tested before you travel?
    What if you do wait and get the test when you arrive and you are misfortunate and test positive ? If that were to happen you’ve potentially affected all the plane passengers, the airline crew and whoever else you’ve been in contact with en route to your accommodation.

No. I don’t.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement