Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

johnire wrote: »
    Do you not think that’s a bit irresponsible?
    I get what your saying but surely the right thing to do is to get tested before you travel?
    What if you do wait and get the test when you arrive and you are misfortunate and test positive ? If that were to happen you’ve potentially affected all the plane passengers, the airline crew and whoever else you’ve been in contact with en route to your accommodation.

Air travel is one of the safest ways to get around, the chances of the scenario you've come up with here are negligible...

What if this what if that.. what if I don't look all around me before I cross the road.. the point is if you have symptoms get tested... otherwise get your test as required by local health authorities where ever you travel...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I amn't going to travel until Feb 2021 I think anyway and maybe we'll see some progress on airport testing by then etc.

However, a group of friends of friends went to Lanzarote last week to wfh and instead of paying the 180 or 200 euro that it is to get a test, just rang their GP the week of travel and presented with symptoms and were booked in for testing that way.

If the tests are going to be that price, there will be fraudsters who just go through GP's for free ones.

When my wife was tested & was negitive, all she got was a text message from the HSE stating that she was negitive, that's hardly good enough to present on arrival to your accommodation?
    Thought it would need to be something more official

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Cork and Shannon Airports should be sold to Ryanair. Otherwise they might as well close their doors permanently. They had **** all flights at the best of times, and there's less flights operating from them combined now than Pyongyang International Airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Do we go to Amber if our positivity rate drops below 4%?

I note that our 7 day positivity rate is currently 4.4%.

Looks like it's the combination of three metrics.
    • 14 day incidence rate (under 100 per 100K for amber)
    • positivity rate (less than 4%)
    • number of tests per 100k (must be over 300 to even get a colour( NI doesn't meet this requirement)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Looks like it's the combination of three metrics.
    • 14 day incidence rate (under 100 per 100K for amber)
    • positivity rate (less than 4%)
    • number of tests per 100k (must be over 300 to even get a colour( NI doesn't meet this requirement)

https://dfa.ie/media/dfa/travel/Traffic-Light-image.PNG

Looks like if we get down to 150/100,000 and positivity below 4% we are onto amber. We should achieve this quite soon if the current trends continue.

What the hell are NI up to with their lack of testing? Makes it look like a 3rd world place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

You misunderstand the point I’m making-or trying to make.
    I’m not disputing the fact that air travel is safe. What I’m saying is that the test has to be taken anyway so surely it’s just easier to take the test prior to leaving?
    The whole point of going on holiday is that you’re going away for a break-I know I wouldn’t particularly want a Covid test to be factored into my holiday. Nor wouldI be particularly happy if I was contacted by the authorities to tell me that a person on my flight had tested positive upon arrival just because they could’ve bothered to take the test before leaving. What’s the big deal about having the test prior to departure- surely it’ll put a stop to all the naysayers of international travel?
    Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Air travel is one of the safest ways to get around, the chances of the scenario you've come up with here are negligible...

What if this what if that.. what if I don't look all around me before I cross the road.. the point is if you have symptoms get tested... otherwise get your test as required by local health authorities where ever you travel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

bikeman1 wrote: »
    https://dfa.ie/media/dfa/travel/Traffic-Light-image.PNG

Looks like if we get down to 150/100,000 and positivity below 4% we are onto amber. We should achieve this quite soon if the current trends continue.

What the hell are NI up to with their lack of testing? Makes it look like a 3rd world place.

Yeah right you are. it's a combination of them, the testing and or quarantine restrictions are up to the individual state and will likely vary.

531931.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I'm going on holidays in January even if I have to use a rubber dinghy to get out of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Griffinx

Im in the Canaries at the moment and coming back next week. It looks like I can avoid quarantine if I get a test here. Will an antigen test suffice or does it definitely need to be PCR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

GazzaL wrote: »
    I'm going on holidays in January even if I have to use a rubber dinghy to get out of Ireland.

Seconding that, hopefully by July salvation will have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

Griffinx wrote: »
    Im in the Canaries at the moment and coming back next week. It looks like I can avoid quarantine if I get a test here. Will an antigen test suffice or does it definitely need to be PCR

For landing back in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Griffinx

doogie! wrote: »
    For landing back in Ireland?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

My folks are currently in the Canaries and looking to extend from 4 weeks to 6 but I can't get them travel insurance beyond 30 days. They are in their late 70's so it's proving difficult to get cover. Long shot I know but I don't suppose anybody here has any insight on long term senior travel insurance?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

Griffinx wrote: »
    Yes

Not sure tbh pal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Probably been answered a million times but can't find it.

Why do travel agents not accept airline vouchers?

Want to book a holiday next year and have a Voucher with KLM, the holiday i'm looking at is flying with KLM, is there a reason why I cant use this voucher against the holiday (Flight is worth more than the voucher)

is it not in there interest to accept the voucher (I presume they will still get their commission for selling the flight)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

fitzparker wrote: »
    Probably been answered a million times but can't find it.

Why do travel agents not accept airline vouchers?

Want to book a holiday next year and have a Voucher with KLM, the holiday i'm looking at is flying with KLM, is there a reason why I cant use this voucher against the holiday (Flight is worth more than the voucher)

is it not in there interest to accept the voucher (I presume they will still get their commission for selling the flight)

But KLM won’t give the travel agency cash for the voucher, so they don’t get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Norway seemed to have changed the rule

Saw a tweet saying "must provide a negative corona test upon arrival. You must take the test no more than 72 hours before you enter the country. You can be denied entry if you cannot provide this documentation."

Great I thought, but on reading further you need to then enter quarantine !!!

https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-your-trip/coronavirus-and-travelling-to-norway/

I guess they don't want tourists anymore, I cannot see this rule change in the next 2/3 years tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Norway seemed to have changed the rule

Saw a tweet saying "must provide a negative corona test upon arrival. You must take the test no more than 72 hours before you enter the country. You can be denied entry if you cannot provide this documentation."

Great I thought, but on reading further you need to then enter quarantine !!!

https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-your-trip/coronavirus-and-travelling-to-norway/

I guess they don't want tourists anymore, I cannot see this rule change in the next 2/3 years tbh.

Ireland should go Amber (yellow as they call it) in a week or 10 days which will see you avoiding quarantine.

Ireland should go Amber (yellow as they call it) in a week or 10 days which will see you avoiding quarantine.

ah forgot to mention Im based in Spain ! :mad:

Don't matter, i'll just delay the trip till 2022 ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

TomSweeney wrote: »
    ah forgot to mention Im based in Spain ! :mad:

Don't matter, i'll just delay the trip till 2022 ..

Quarantine rules are impossible to police or enforce.

I know a lady who had Covid few weeks ago, last Sunday night she arrived into Dublin from Madrid, she travelled with her sister 80km yesterday to visit a grave and today she's on social media out.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

IrishHomer wrote: »

I know a lady who had Covid few weeks ago, last Sunday night she arrived into Dublin from Madrid, she travelled with her sister 80km yesterday to visit a grave and today she's on social media out.

Sure considering there is no legal requirement to quarantine of course it can't be enforced..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

They are "impossible to police" because they are not law.

If the government wanted to legislate for it then it wouldn't be impossible to police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Would just love to fk off for Christmas to somewhere warm. Don’t even care if I have to quarantine. Would book some AirBnb with a balcony. Will be the first Christmas not being at home with family, and I do not want to sit here staring at the walls/fabulous Christmas tree on my own.

well no, they could be if they were actual laws with penalties attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

Day 6 of the "14 day quarantine period" now and self locator form lads have actually gotten in contact this time with two texts and a phone call to verify my address. Didn't happen the last time in August.

Remember Norway is not EU, I don;t know what their exact quarantine laws are, anyway don't really mind leaving it to summer 22, gives me another year to save ... I hear pints are fierce expensive up there ...

Summer 21 think I'll come home to Ireland and go to the WEST!! south west Cork/Kerry preferably - do you think as many Irish people will staycation (hate that word) next summer as last summer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Was there some talk about mandatory testing at Dublin airport? Sorry if already discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

This thread made me think of a dream I had the other night of rocking up to the parents with a piece of paper waving in the air... Im negative.. you can let me in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

I think you're the one not getting it.

There's no point restricting anything domestically if you're going to open up international travel, because no matter how hard you try to control it, it will get reseeded by international travel. This is what happened in the first wave, and it is what has happened in the second wave.

Domestic controls are useful for getting the virus under control within your own country, but travel controls are helpful for stopping people bringing more of the virus in while you are trying to do that.

The reason why we have lockdowns re-emerging across Europe at the moment is because we left travel open and we allowed more opportunities for the virus to re-enter our countries from elsewhere.

East Asia didn't make this mistake.

Edit: For some reason you're suggesting that I mean literally catching the virus on the plane. Although that could happen, it is more likely that people catch it when out and about in other countries and bring it back in. I'm not sure why people on this side of the argument think that we're saying that it is the plane itself that is the cause of reseeding the virus.

Um you do realise that most countries have done lockdown and no countries (apart from a tiny number) waited until their cases were 0 before removing restrictions.

The virus doesn't need to be "reseeded". It's already in these countries.

When we reopen at start of Decemeber the virus will still be present in Ireland. We won't eradicate it domestically, it's extremely difficult to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement