Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Back from UK last week, travelled by car on ferry and isolating at home. 3rd time of doing this and third time I've filled in a Passenger Locator Form (online). This is the first time I've been contacted.

Basically some poor guy reading from a script telling me what I wasn't allowed to do, annoying if only for the reason I've read the regulations several times and I'm at home complying with them.

What did seem strange was that I was told that I am supposed to update them if my location changes for 14 days after the initial 14 day quarantine :confused:

I checked this with the rep who insisted it was correct so checked myself online and the only thing similar but not the same I could find was

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ab900-covid-19-passenger-locator-form/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/locatorform/

Anyone else get a call and get the info about the extra 14 days for notification or was it just me having a communications failure with the rep?

Not in my case.
    I got a text on day 1 to let me know what I need to do.
    Then another text in day 3 or 4 to go to a government portal and confirm my address.
    And finally another text on day 8 - same as the text on day 1.

Edit: that was a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

You do realise that even one case is a SEED as you love to write? So for your ridiculous theory to work, you first need to completely eradicate the virus. That time has passed. Or do you propose we're all locked into our homes for three weeks with the whole country also shutdown, no exceptions, for three weeks to allow your ridiculous notions to finally make sense?

Nonsense.

And the virus was at an extremely low level in Ireland up to the mid-summer. And then new cases were introduced through travel. Given that over 20,000 people visited Spain in the summer, I doubt that heavily.
    GazzaL wrote: »
    I'm off the Belgium and the only thing I'll be bringing back to Ireland is chocolates.

You hope and we hope but not with massive certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Not in my case.
    I got a text on day 1 to let me know what I need to do.
    Then another text in day 3 or 4 to go to a government portal and confirm my address.
    And finally another text on day 8 - same as the text on day 1.

Edit: that was a month ago.

I have no mobile coverage where I'm isolating (its isolated :D) gave a land line number so no chance of an SMS.

Wake me up when it's all over.

fm wrote: »
    Testing starting at Cork and Shannon airports this week----not cheap at 149 euros and a few hours wait

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1108/1176737-coronavirus-ireland/

That's interesting.
    This company RocDoc already have a drive through facility in Ashbourne, near Dublin Airport. I contacted them because I try to organise my Christmas trip back home and Greece has now made mandatory that you test negative before travelling to Greece (for travelling until the end of November at least). Unfortunately in my case I don't drive and the facility is purely drive through (so I would need to go with a taxi or ask a friend to drive me there), so I started looking for alternatives - looks like there are a few options, in county Dublin at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Thought I would come back and give an update on TMB I sent them an email just asking general questions last week - no reply.

Then I went on the website and requested an appointment and when you finish it just says "We will be in contact with you" - no confirmation that you have an appointment booked and I still have got no further contact from them.

Wouldn't recommend them at all, very unhelpful considering they are robbing people of €180 euro to get a test done.

Clinics like this are exploiting the pandemic for financial gain and they are truly greedy.

• Advertisement

Randox clinic are doing PCR testing at the Clayton hotel near Dublin Airport for 99 euro and that is considerably cheaper than the TMB's 180 euro inflated price. (It says on the Randox website you get the results the next day) which is much better then TMB's timeline.

Link here if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

GazzaL wrote: »
    I'm off the Belgium and the only thing I'll be bringing back to Ireland is chocolates.

Pierre Marcolini are highly recommended. The flagship is on the Place de Grand Sablon national hitch is worth a visit in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

And we have lift with the Irish media trying to shame people not to come home for Christmas

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/airborne-hazard-flying-home-for-christmas-risks-a-spring-disaster-39719574.html

Acosta wrote: »
    And we have lift with the Irish media trying to shame people not to come home for Christmas

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/airborne-hazard-flying-home-for-christmas-risks-a-spring-disaster-39719574.html

Why is it wrong to discourage people from doing this given that it could lead to yet another significant importation of cases?

It would be great to hear a strong argument on the other side.

RobitTV wrote: »
    Randox clinic are doing PCR testing at the Clayton hotel near Dublin Airport for 99 euro and that is considerably cheaper than the TMB's 180 euro inflated price. (It says on the Randox website you get the results the next day) which is much better then TMB's timeline.

Link here if interested

Thank you Robit.
    They are the ones I'm considering too.
    The next day result is important as the test has to be in the last 3 days before travelling (and I plan to travel on a weekend).
    They seem very organised and meet the criteria by giving a certificate and all, and as you mentioned, very competitive price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Why is it wrong to discourage people from doing this given that it could lead to yet another significant importation of cases?

Have you left your house in the past 7 months? If so, shame on you. We gotta eradicate that seed. Stay in your bunker, do your bit.

fm wrote: »
    Testing starting at Cork and Shannon airports this week----not cheap at 149 euros and a few hours wait

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1108/1176737-coronavirus-ireland/

And it'll be up and running on the week all commercial flights will stop operating at Shannon. You couldn't make this **** up.

Aviation is on it's knees here and can't take much more. Unlike other countries, when the government here and the media told paddy not to travel, they simply didn't. 95% of people cancelled their holidays, even when it meant losing money as was the case for those who booked with Ryanair. Or even when so many could have safely self isolated on return without using more annual leave, as they were working from home.

Unlike the summer testing will be available, so I think we can do without the levels of scaremongering from the media we had in the summer. A time when there was very little community infection in many parts of Europe.

What areas is it needed in? Apart from freight which obviously would be excluded.

Whole swathes of work can be done remotely. Lots of work can be done without the need to travel.

Repeated lockdowns cost the economy more than restricting travelling. If the travel sector needs to struggle until this is under control then I would consider that a worthy sacrifice even if it would be regrettable.

East Asia has done this. As has Australia and New Zealand. This isn't impossible. People are just unwilling to do what is required.

Australia and New Zealand have cases and they continue to see new cases. Arent you aware of this?

East Asia? The whole of east asia has not stopped travel. Thats just a blatant lie. We get the majority of our PPE from China ffs

whole swathes can be done remotely, and whole swathes cannot. I cannot work remotely. Freight is a huge industry within Ireland, we are a small island ya know.

Let me just be very blunt here for a moment. Covid kills a minority of patients, very few in fact in comparison to cases. In the past 7 months what has the irish government done to increase our medical fields capabilities? Have they built a new hospital? Made a genuine investment into ICU beds and staff? No. They havent

What they have done and you swallow hook, line and sinker is to shame people like myself who actually commute between where I work and where my family live while not enacting any genuine laws to restrict travel or allow for people that need to travel.

Now having said that, please justify why I should consider your needs and desires above that of my children? Also do remember that I have parents, a grandfather that died from Covid19 and a father in law that would be most at risk. Ya know what we dont do? interact with him!

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Thank you Robit.
    They are the ones I'm considering too.
    The next day result is important as the test has to be in the last 3 days before travelling (and I plan to travel on a weekend).
    They seem very organised and meet the criteria by giving a certificate and all, and as you mentioned, very competitive price.

I'm going to book with them soon because everywhere else is very expensive and I think Randox look the part and they will act professionally and answer customer queries.

99 euro is very competitive, I think it's the lowest I have found in Ireland at the moment.

Australia and New Zealand have cases and they continue to see new cases. Arent you aware of this?

East Asia? The whole of east asia has not stopped travel. Thats just a blatant lie. We get the majority of our PPE from China ffs

whole swathes can be done remotely, and whole swathes cannot. I cannot work remotely. Freight is a huge industry within Ireland, we are a small island ya know.

Let me just be very blunt here for a moment. Covid kills a minority of patients, very few in fact. In the past 7 months what has the irish government done to increase our medical fields capabilities? Have they built a new hospital? Made a genuine investment into ICU beds and staff? No. They havent

What they have done and you swallow hook, line and sinker is to shame people like myself who actually commute between where I work and where my family live while not enacting any genuine laws to restrict travel or allow for people that need to travel.

Now having said that, please justify why I should consider your needs and desires above that of my children?

Obviously I'm referring to people deciding to travel rather than essential goods being imported. I've said as much on this thread and others previously. To control this properly we need to restrict the amount of opportunities for new cases to be imported.

New Zealand and Australia have done a much better job at controlling the virus than Europe has. In respect to East Asia I'm thinking of examples like Taiwan which have banned international travel, and have been able to significantly ease domestic restrictions as a result.

Obviously I'm referring to people deciding to travel rather than essential goods being imported. I've said as much on this thread and others previously. To control this properly we need to restrict the amount of opportunities for new cases to be imported.

New Zealand and Australia have done a much better job at controlling the virus than Europe has. In respect to East Asia I'm thinking of examples like Taiwan which have banned international travel, and have been able to significantly ease domestic restrictions as a result.

Ah so your talking ****e because;

A, the areas you spoke about have cases and you didnt realise that China was in east Asia
    B, travel is still needed so really your entire argument is flawed because now you are making exceptions

Ill await an answer to my actual question

Ah so your talking ****e because;

A, the areas you spoke about have cases and
    B, travel is still needed

Ill await an answer to my actual question

They have way fewer cases than we do. (In Australia 6 yesterday).

Precisely because they have travel policies like this:
    Australia’s borders are closed. The only people who can travel to Australia are:
    • Australian citizens
    • residents
    • immediate family members
    • travellers who have been in New Zealand for the previous 14 days.

Plus mandatory 14 day quarantine as opposed to "if you'd like to".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Acosta wrote: »
    Aviation is on it's knees here and can't take much more. Unlike other countries, when the government here and the media told paddy not to travel, they simply didn't. 95% of people cancelled their holidays, even when it meant losing money as was the case for those who booked with Ryanair. Or even when so many could have safely self isolated on return without using more annual leave, as they were working from home.

Unlike the summer testing will be available, so I think we can do without the levels of scaremongering from the media we had in the summer. A time when there was very little community infection in many parts of Europe.

Could you provide a source for that. Sounds drastic and highly specific.

Could you provide a source for that. Sounds drastic and highly specific.

Apologies. That should have been passenger numbers are down 95% on last year. Obviously many of those would have booked flights before the pandemic, while even more simply would not have booked at all.
    Ryanair summer destination flights all operated so there was no refunds for those who did not travel.
    Cork is down 95%
    https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/world-news/cork-airport-management-meet-tds-18916382

I think Shannon is the same. Dublin is down 85% I think

• Advertisement

They have way fewer cases than we do. (In Australia 6 yesterday).

Precisely because they have travel policies like this:

[/LIST]
    Plus mandatory 14 day quarantine as opposed to "if you'd like to".

So, they still have travel?

And exemptions to the 14 days for essential staff?

Yep, thats not what you said or suggested plus you still cant explain why you are more important

So, they still have travel?

And exemptions to the 14 days for essential staff?

Yep, thats not what you said or suggested plus you still cant explain why you are more important

I'm not more important. I'm not travelling and haven't left the UK since last December. I'm not going to return to Ireland this Christmas precisely because I'd be concerned about potentially bringing it home or bringing it back with me. I simply think we should be all told to do this to stop the virus spreading.

If we want to sustainably ease domestic restrictions until this virus is eradicated, this will require more controls on travel than what we have now.

I'm not more important. I'm not travelling and haven't left the UK since last December. I'm not going to return to Ireland this Christmas precisely because I'd be concerned about potentially bringing it home or bringing it back with me. I simply think we should be all told to do this to stop the virus spreading.

If we want to sustainably ease domestic restrictions until this virus is eradicated, this will require more controls on travel than what we have now.

thats your choice, not mine.

Have you changed your position then regarding travel? If so, how will limiting travel stop transmission as opposed to limiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,173 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

As you are talking about travel for non essential reasons, Saudi Arabia has reopened flights for religious passengers on the 01st November. So far their numbers do not reflect any increase due to these travellers. The testing regime requires a PCR test prior to arrival, 3 days quarantine and another PCR test.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Back from UK last week, travelled by car on ferry and isolating at home. 3rd time of doing this and third time I've filled in a Passenger Locator Form (online). This is the first time I've been contacted.

Basically some poor guy reading from a script telling me what I wasn't allowed to do, annoying if only for the reason I've read the regulations several times and I'm at home complying with them.

What did seem strange was that I was told that I am supposed to update them if my location changes for 14 days after the initial 14 day quarantine :confused:

I checked this with the rep who insisted it was correct so checked myself online and the only thing similar but not the same I could find was

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ab900-covid-19-passenger-locator-form/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/locatorform/

Anyone else get a call and get the info about the extra 14 days for notification or was it just me having a communications failure with the rep?

I also got the call from a fella quite blatantly reading a script. I'm not sure what advice he gave, as I hung up when I realised what the call was about.

FrStone wrote: »
    I also got the call from a fella quite blatantly reading a script. I'm not sure what advice he gave, as I hung up when I realised what the call was about.

Did it make you feel good being rude to a random person who is just doing their job?

FrStone wrote: »

Yep that was the call :rolleyes: I didn't hang up but I didn't give the poor guy and easy time :o

I know he was only doing his job but I've dealt with scammers in India with a better script.

Did it make you feel good being rude to a random person who is just doing their job?

The guy that spoke at me was working from a script even with the introduction.

I nearly put the phone down thinking it was a scam when I head the words (something like) "I am calling you today on behalf of..."

It is a badly set up operation with a poor script. From the accent it could have been a call from a call center in the UK.

Edit: The call could have been a recording the way the guy spoke in a monotone over everything I said. Even after I thought he'd finished he started off again to finish reading the script.

The guy that spoke at me was working from a script even with the introduction.

I nearly put the phone down thinking it was a scam when I head the words (something like) "I am calling you today on behalf of..."

It is a badly set up operation with a poor script. From the accent it could have been a call from a call center in the UK.

Edit: The call could have been a recording the way the guy spoke in a monotone over everything I said. Even after I thought he'd finished he started off again to finish reading the script.

Do me a favour, explain why you have quoted my question to another user?

• Advertisement

Do me a favour, explain why you have quoted my question to another user?

Sorry I don't feed trolls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement