Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

thats your choice, not mine.

Have you changed your position then regarding travel? If so, how will limiting travel stop transmission as opposed to limiting?

It'll stop the virus reseeding when we're trying to control the virus domestically. After it is under control domestically it'll stop new cases coming in.

Basic logic. But I suspect you're not interested in reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

Can anyone see the traffic light system anywhere, I have checked gov.ie, dfa.ie, and eu sites and can't bloody see a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Santan wrote: »
    Can anyone see the traffic light system anywhere, I have checked gov.ie, dfa.ie, and eu sites and can't bloody see a thing

Nope, can't see it either. I was checking over the government websites earlier today to double check quarantine restrictions and thought the same thing.

I've had another look and this seems to be what we were looking for

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/situation-updates/weekly-maps-coordinated-restriction-free-movement

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Quarantine rules are impossible to police or enforce.

I know a lady who had Covid few weeks ago, last Sunday night she arrived into Dublin from Madrid, she travelled with her sister 80km yesterday to visit a grave and today she's on social media out.

What's the problem with that? She had Covid weeks ago so she's now clear? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

They have way fewer cases than we do. (In Australia 6 yesterday).

Those 6 never made it out of hotel quarantine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

There is zero chance of international travel being banned. And the idea of 2 weeks institutional forced quarantine like in NZ is not something that the government would risk politically.

The best that you can hope for is some kind of testing regime, X days before travel and upon arrival

What is the political risk and how does it outweigh the health and economic risks?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Disingenuous or just laughable? to say that no one travelled for summer or at most a dozen or so!!

I love when Retards make fools out of themselves, its like the gift that keeps giving.

Especially when the stats are at hand.

Firstly, you're around long enough to know you attack the post, not the poster.

However, when you're so readily reduced to name calling there's very little point in debate. Otherwise I'd be more than happy to listen to a different opinion to mine.

To continue, if you'd actually read what I replied to before spouting that guff you'd have (perhaps, although I'm not optimistic) realised I was pointing out that there were no more than a dozen or two posters here who reported their foreign trips and I did not state that that's all that travelled. Had you bothered to read it prior to your rant it would have saved you a lot of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Why is it wrong to discourage people from doing this given that it could lead to yet another significant importation of cases?

It would be great to hear a strong argument on the other side.

You've heard many and ignored them all, continually reverting to your inaccurate 60 per cent of all cases come from travel hypothesis. Here's a guaranteed. Travel by plane to anywhere in Europe with a lower infection rate and you will be protecting people where you are now where you are at greater risk of spreading the virus. That's an indisputable law of epidemiology.

I won't be engaging with you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Tazz T wrote: »
    It has to play out and should do, like so many other epidemics, by the end of the third wave, which in Ireland should be before next summer.

BTW I'm speaking as an immunology grad whose final year thesis was on the epidemiology of airborne disease.

That's the most positive and qualified thing I've read on here in awhile, thanks

It gives me hope because you're the second person with the right background I've read online to say "the worst of this is over by June". I don't have the link to hand, but they also had a epidemiology background

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

With this EU announcement is travel allowed to the Canary Islands without having to restrict movements on return to Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

gazzer wrote: »
    With this EU announcement is travel allowed to the Canary Islands without having to restrict movements on return to Ireland

Interested in this myself

If treated separately from Spain, of the main islands I think only Lanzarote & Fuerteventura have less than 25/100,000 to get on the green list, overall as a archipelago I think they are still Red but heading towards yellow

Hopefully they will be treated separately to Spanish mainland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

If treated separately from Spain, of the main islands I think only Lanzarote & Fuerteventura have less than 25/100,000 to get on the green list, overall as a archipelago I think they are still Red but heading towards yellow

They should be. Very low rates there at the moment. Obviously still a lot of restrictions over there with Facemasks and distancing but they are holding up well

Tazz T wrote: »
    You've heard many and ignored them all, continually reverting to your inaccurate 60 per cent of all cases come from travel hypothesis. Here's a guaranteed. Travel by plane to anywhere in Europe with a lower infection rate and you will be protecting people where you are now where you are at greater risk of spreading the virus. That's an indisputable law of epidemiology.

I won't be engaging with you again.

There's no point reasoning with someone who can't see that travel and community spread go hand in hand. If someone catches the virus abroad and they go on to reinfect others then yes there's spread in the community. But the fact remains if that case didn't enter from travel there would be no community spread as a result of it.

So obviously there's still a role for travel restrictions.

Edit: if you're confident it will end in June. Why not hold off on travel until then?
    Also your argument about lower infection rates doesn't hold, because if you travel from a higher to a lower infection rate you risk infecting people in your destination country with the virus, which isn't exactly civil.

They have way fewer cases than we do. (In Australia 6 yesterday).
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    Those 6 never made it out of hotel quarantine

Bit of an increase today, 9 in Travel quarantine.

Just in case you aren’t aware.

532306.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

Do you know if this is going to be made known to the public, it seems like they are very confused about where is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does the test before you leave have to be PCR or can it be a different type?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Browsing through the Ryanair website for flights in 2021, they are not cheap. I reckon they will get a lot of their lost money back when people go to book. I also think that their customers will be adding a fair whack to the Airline Vouchers that they were given for their cancelled 2020 flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1109/1176850-ireland-travel-update/

lol, what a joke.

What happened to rapid testing at the airports?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

So just to be clear, let’s say the country I’m speaking about below is France:

If I go to a green country, I can get off the plane and go direct to the pub. I don’t have to get a test here or there.

Orange: I have to get tested before I leave Ireland and I’ve got to restrict my movements when I come back (but why can I not do the 5 days and test like the red zone?)

Red: I leave Ireland, have to isolate in the country I arrive into and then come back and get a test after 5 days of isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If I go to a green country, I can get off the plane and go direct to the pub. I don’t have to get a test here or there.

Orange: I have to get tested before I leave Ireland and I’ve got to restrict my movements when I come back (but why can I not do the 5 days and test like the red zone?)

Red: I leave Ireland, have to isolate in the country I arrive into and then come back and get a test after 5 days of isolation.

I'd debate that point. If coming from Northern Ireland then yes but if coming from anywhere else you can but as far as I can work out you are still supposed to fill in a COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form and the advice is
    In general, you are requested to restrict your movements for 14 days if you arrive into Ireland from another country. This applies to all travellers entering the State, including Irish citizens coming home and people with no symptoms.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/

But advice so no one is forcing you to do the right thing.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Santan wrote: »
    Do you know if this is going to be made known to the public, it seems like they are very confused about where is allowed.

Don't know what Ireland will do but Germany & UK have in the recent past treated the Canaries separately to mainland Spain & opened travel corridors, the Canarian government are / will definitely be pushing for it

I doubt if they will treat each island individually but currently the Canaries as a whole are not green based on current infection numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

It is operating by region. Azores and Crete are amber while the rest of Portugal and other areas of Greece are red. I saw a quote from an Irish health expert today also saying that we could travel to Crete when we are green. Can't find that quote now,

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

RobitTV wrote: »
    I'm going to book with them soon because everywhere else is very expensive and I think Randox look the part and they will act professionally and answer customer queries.

99 euro is very competitive, I think it's the lowest I have found in Ireland at the moment.

Let us know how it all goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

If you are speaking about France (a red country), you do not have to isolate upon arrival. However mandatory testing is being rolled out. I believe it has been implemented at all airports (15-30 minute antigen test), but will be extended to ports, train stations etc. If you have a certificate of a negative PCR test done within the last 72 hours you can present that, otherwise you will be tested at the airport. The best bit is the tests are free.
    If you test positive this can be done at the place where you are staying.

Browsing through the Ryanair website for flights in 2021, they are not cheap. I reckon they will get a lot of their lost money back when people go to book. I also think that their customers will be adding a fair whack to the Airline Vouchers that they were given for their cancelled 2020 flights.

It's hard to know, a few factors in the mix are who will be green & orange, a lot of green & orange gives more options, vaccine rollout, infection numbers falling, it will ultimately come down to demand. People who holiday every year who haven't been affected too badly financially, good chance that they'll be interested, those who have been affected like retail, bars, restaurants etc, maybe not so much

I had €1200 in Ryanair vouchers from cancelled late June & late September trips, I only had to add €60 for rebooking for 2020, mid June & late September so was happy with that

If you normally travel to a region whose numbers stay stubbornly red, say maybe mainland Spain, Italy & France then you probably will see high prices to green & orange areas as more travellers favour those routes

Let's hope a vaccine sees the numbers fall & we can all get back to some bit of normality

It'll stop the virus reseeding when we're trying to control the virus domestically. After it is under control domestically it'll stop new cases coming in.

Basic logic. But I suspect you're not interested in reasoning.

Bit it's not basic logic, it's flawed logic. Limiting travel will only limit spread, that's basic logic.

Stopping travel would stop importing cases but as you have now accepted, that's not possible.

And can you please start using 'reseed' properly?

What's your opinion on australian sports fans cramming into a stadium without masks?

Bit it's not basic logic, it's flawed logic. Limiting travel will only limit spread, that's basic logic.

Stopping travel would stop importing cases but as you have now accepted, that's not possible.

And can you please start using 'reseed' properly?

What's your opinion on australian sports fans cramming into a stadium without masks?

This is silly.

It's possible to limit all non-essential travel. That would severely limit the opportunities for the virus to spread. That's also basic logic.

I've got no opinion on an event I don't know much about.

This is silly.

It's possible to limit all non-essential travel. That would severely limit the opportunities for the virus to spread. That's also basic logic.

I've got no opinion on an event I don't know much about.

Right so now your only suggesting we limit travel and not stop it as originally called for, correct?

And your also accepting that this will reduce but not stop importing cases as was your original justification, also correct?

If that's your new stance then great, plenty of people will agree with you. Not all naturally but plenty that previously disagreed.

Also kudos for being open minded on the subject and changing your opinion based on new information and a new perspective. There's few willing to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭talulon

From 23/11, if you are travelling to Spain, you are going to need a PCR test before arrival (regardless of only going to Canaries). Spanish government has just announced it.

Forgot to add some source: https://www.hellocanaryislands.com/coronavirus/, this is specific for Canaries from 14/11. Rest of Spain from the 23/11.

• Advertisement

Masks are only compulsory in Victoria and they haven’t had a case in 2 weeks but not allowed to host gatherings, and in nearly all states there’s no unknown community transmission. The All blacks played wallabies in Brisbane but QLD hasn’t had a case in 63 days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement