Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

talulon wrote: »
    From 23/11, if you are travelling to Spain, you are going to need a PCR test before arrival (regardless of only going to Canaries). Spanish government has just announced it.

Forgot to add some source: https://www.hellocanaryislands.com/coronavirus/, this is specific for Canaries from 14/11. Rest of Spain from the 23/11.

Where does it specifically mention PCR test?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

It doesn't, looks like it will be based on infection numbers of country your coming from, still slightly vague

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2020-11-11/spain-will-require-negative-pcr-test-from-travelers-coming-from-high-risk-countries.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

It doesn't, looks like it will be based on infection numbers of country your coming from, still slightly vague

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2020-11-11/spain-will-require-negative-pcr-test-from-travelers-coming-from-high-risk-countries.html

So you will definitely need a test?

Test unavailable at Spanish airport for incoming tourist?

Debatable whether PCR is mandatory or antigen will suffice?

Antigen test not available in Ireland anyways?

Is that more or less it in a nutshell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

So you will definitely need a test?

Test unavailable at Spanish airport for incoming tourist?

Debatable whether PCR is mandatory or antigen will suffice?

Antigen test not available in Ireland anyways?

Is that more or less it in a nutshell?

1. Depends where you are coming from seemingly

2. I'm unsure

3. Antigen lamp test available

https://www.thejournal.ie/this-is-not-an-open-door-to-travel-government-pours-cold-water-on-christmas-plans-after-new-travel-rules-announced-5262811-Nov2020/

4. For some political reasons I assume, EU countries seem to be able to put their own little kink to suit on the EU wide traffic light system for travel,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

As soon as we go Green, I'm getting the hell out of here to whatever freedom loving country will have me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

As soon as we go Green, I'm getting the hell out of here to whatever freedom loving country will have me.

Same here - but reckon we can go next week when we should be Amber?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Van.Bosch wrote: »

I think you'll have to get tested and probably costs a few quid too. And with this virus, it's probably a toss of a coin if you have it or not and don't even realise it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I think you'll have to get tested and probably costs a few quid too. And with this virus, it's probably a toss of a coin if you have it or not and don't even realise it

A lot of countries will let us in without restrictions or testing if we are orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

To travel abroad do you need to have a test before you leave Ireland and then another when you return?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gael23 wrote: »
    To travel abroad do you need to have a test before you leave Ireland and then another when you return?

Depends on whatever your country your going to and what they are for. Likewise coming back again depends where your coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭talulon

That link I added there is from the regional government in Canary Islands and it doesn't specify type of test. I wrote yesterday to the hotel I'm staying in December and they clarified they will accept either test.

BUT, that's their local regulation in order to stay in any type of touristic accommodation (hotel/apartment/etc) and it's valid from 14/11.

From 23/11, the Spanish government will require a PCR test in order to enter the country. You will need to include this info in the form provided when travelling www.spth.gob.es

It seems that PCR test will be only required to those RED countries but I wouldn't trust Ireland moving to orange or even Spain not requiring everybody regardless of the colour.

Gael23 wrote: »

You don't need a test coming back to Ireland as of now but there may be a possibility of being restriction-free if you take a PCR https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/only-gold-standard-covid-test-will-result-in-restriction-free-travel-around-ireland-1.4405837

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Van.Bosch wrote: »

We went amber today.

Tazz T wrote: »
    We went amber today.

Where do you see that? I don't see any update here https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/situation-updates/weekly-maps-coordinated-restriction-free-movement

talulon wrote: »

We're at 145 per 100,000 today. The map is updated every Thursday, so should see it by the end of the day.

Unfortunately, the level 5 lockdown makes it all a bit irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

I'm reading that it's €149+ to arrange for a test to facilitate your travel abroad. That will add some cost to the experience of travelling, unfortunately offsetting any savings on hotels or the flights themselves. For a family of 4 they will have to add €600+ to the cost of the foreign holiday. Ryan Air's cheap fares will be even more crucial in this context. However, considering such costs, I do not see this testing being sustainable into the summer season next year and what is more likely is that restrictions are eased by then once the vulnerable and health staff are vaccinated. I certainly hope this to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This place appear to do it for €99
    https://booking.randox.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

I'm reading that it's €149+ to arrange for a test to facilitate your travel abroad. That will add some cost to the experience of travelling, unfortunately offsetting any savings on hotels or the flights themselves. For a family of 4 they will have to add €600+ to the cost of the foreign holiday. Ryan Air's cheap fares will be even more crucial in this context. However, considering such costs, I do not see this testing being sustainable into the summer season next year and what is more likely is that restrictions are eased by then once the vulnerable and health staff are vaccinated. I certainly hope this to be the case.

Would all members of a travelling party require the test though?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

bladespin wrote: »
    Would all members of a travelling party require the test though?

Why would they not?? :confused:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Why would they not?? :confused:

All close contacts - family etc, when we were to travel in July Greece only required one member of a family to test - seemed sensible enough.

• Advertisement

It's the test coming back that's the problem and it's going to be €129 to €199 at the airport (Cork and Shannon testing looks to be already up and running at those prices), so it's basically back to the Green List - unless you're desperate enough to fork out. The government just doesn't want anyone travelling.

Most EU countries won't be requiring tests going out unless we're red.

https://www.thejournal.ie/this-is-not-an-open-door-to-travel-government-pours-cold-water-on-christmas-plans-after-new-travel-rules-announced-5262811-Nov2020/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Looks like ill be traveling back via Belfast forthe forseeable future so, im fcuked if im paying over €100 for a test not a chance.

SB71 wrote: »
    Looks like ill be traveling back via Belfast forthe forseeable future so, im fcuked if im paying over €100 for a test not a chance.

I foresee interconnecting flights becoming a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Tazz T wrote: »
    We went amber today.

Map has been updated but we are still red.

Yeah, just saw that. Don't know why that is we're at 145 with a 3.6% positivity rate. That makes us amber.

It might be that they take the stats from a couple of days ago, when we were just over 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Map has been updated but we are still red.

I think our previous 14 day positivity rate is still slightly above 4% which is keeping us red.
    We should be orange next week.

Iceland has gone orange and parts of Finland are now green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Posted already?
    Travelers to Spain must provide negative COVID-19 test

The Spanish Health Ministry said Wednesday that foreign travelers from countries considered high-risk areas for the coronavirus will be asked to provide proof of a negative test to visit Spain

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/travelers-spain-provide-negative-covid-19-test-74149855

I will never travel internationally because of the virus ... if the condition is stable then i will go

If it's so dangerous flying why then are airline crew not riddled with the virus, surely it would be all over the news , NPHET would be the first to tell the public, Holohan would love this.

I will never travel internationally because of the virus ... if the condition is stable then i will go

Sooo, you don't mind all the other nasties that you can come into contact with, just Covid??? or is it that you'd just prefer the Irish version of instead of a foreign one???

• Advertisement

I urge everyone abroad to come home for xmas if they want to, ignore the fear and scaremongeting from NPHET /Government, they have used travel and indeed pubs as scapegoats since the very start to cover up their own failings.

Air travel is very safe, there's not a shred of evidence to show that there air travel is responsible for a big spike in cases, airline staff fly every day so if its that dangerous where are the clusters of airline staff,there are none....just practise good hand hygiene, wear the mask , ive done it several times and absolutely no problem whatsover.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement