Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

PCR tests are €150/€200 a pop, gets very pricey for a family of 4 ... and maybe need them both ways ...

Where there is a will....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Let me think...... 1.3 million people dead worldwide from this virus .....a bit melodramatic.... the answers no
    You don't think that's being a bit melodramatic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Testing isn’t a Silver bullet, but the virus isn’t a death sentence either which people often forget.

Actually it is for many, and travel risks spreading it around further leading to many others being condemned to death also.

As I say. When it is genuinely safe to do so I'll be the first to want to see my family. If sacrificing this for one year brings normality sooner that is a price worth paying.

The impression I get from this thread is that many people deem their personal freedoms to travel irrespective of the consequences to be more important than the health and welfare of others in society.

That's the real ugly side of Western individualism.

PCR tests are €150/€200 a pop, gets very pricey for a family of 4 ... and maybe need them both ways ...

Why both ways? There is absolutely no need for them entering Ireland.
    johnire wrote: »
    Let me think...... 1.3 million people dead worldwide from this virus .....a bit melodramatic.... the answers no

Out of 7 billion and very much a case of higher numbers at the start. It's identified now and being dealt with.

32 million people have died from AIDS and no government passed legislation restricting peoples behavior or movement

Cancer, 10 million give or take per annum but cigarettes still legal.

I can take the incredible stupid decision to have unprotected sex with a bunch of hooker's in africa but travel there still isn't banned.

I'm not suggesting it's the same, the transmission method is obviously different but you don't deal with a medical a situation through restrictive laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

If Politicians can come back for golf, a child can see their parents this Christmas.

This is absolute nonsense and people need to stop using Golf Gate as an excuse to ignore Restrictions and put the elderly and immuno-compromised at risk

It's like a child looking at another who is smashing up toys and thinking "if they're doing it, why can't I?"

Except, in this case, we've a load of adults behaving like entitled 10 year olds

• Advertisement

I, for one, will remember the selfish pricks who endangered the lives of others by travelling in the middle of this lockdown.

The usual suspects in this thread, bragging about their trips far and wide.

Ye are a disgrace.

Oh no. A random person on the web will "remember me".

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

johnire wrote: »

You can be sure (if you’re being honest with yourself) that not all of that number is solely Covid related and 100% accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

3xh wrote: »
    You can be sure (if you’re being honest with yourself) that not all of that number is solely Covid related and 100% accurate.

Cuts both ways. Neighbor, a medical professional, had a relative die with Covid-19 early on and Covid-19 isn't on the death certificate and they say that it wasn't an isolated case.

So can you be sure that the numbers aren't being under reported?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

SB71 wrote: »
    In years to come when the real truth comes out about all of this, how NPHET and this shambles of a government went about things and infllcited unnecessary suffering and hardship on the Irish public it wont bode well for them at all.

Unfortunately which ever party gets the brunt of the blame will say to themselves, well only maximum 8 years and we will be back in power, no matter what they do the cycle remains the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Map has been updated but we are still red.

It updates Thursday as at Tuesday, we only went Amber yesterday. Will be Amber next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Witchie wrote: »
    Next Friday night I will, all being well, be on a flight home from Malaysia.

Am completely torn over this because here I have a normal ish life. Tomorrow after work I will go to the pub, will be out all weekend seeing my friends and filling my boots before I go back to what is tantamount to prison compared to now.

But, I can't not go home. My parents reared 4 of us but could end up alone this Christmas if I don't go. My older brother and his wife are the only ones in Ireland now but both work in front line jobs so have to be so careful visiting our elderly parents. My younger siblings are both in Scotland and will Christmas together as my sister can't come home due to pregnancy.

My eldest son might be able to join us from Dublin but my youngest can't get a flight from France.

It's going to be pure misery, I don't want to leave here, especially not knowing when I will be allowed back over here but I don't know how many Christmases my parents have left and am not missing it with them.

I will quarantine, even though I am leaving a city of approximately 7 million with a 14 day incidence of covid of less than 250 people. There have been 19 deaths in my city whereas there have been similar numbers in my home county.

So anyone who wants to have a go at me, go for it. I spoke to my airline today and my flight is virtually empty. I will be in my transit airport for an hour and 20 minutes. I will be masked up and have sanitizer and gloves packed. I'm also a high risk category so I will take every precaution possible.

An early welcome home!

I hope you have a great Christmas with your family, I have no doubt your parents will be delighted to see you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I, for one, will remember the selfish pricks who endangered the lives of others by travelling in the middle of this lockdown.

The usual suspects in this thread, bragging about their trips far and wide.

Ye are a disgrace.

Endangered the lives of only a small proportion to be fair when you look at it like that, endangering the health system and business/livelihoods is also a larger more widespread concern.

I give you an example, my brother is friends with a pub owner and one of this guys staff who hadn't worked since March decides to go for a quiet week holiday to Spain in August you know just to get away from it all. Turns out that he was actually positive when he came home and didn't restrict his movements for the first few days until he got sick then quietly isolated on the QT, all this only came out recently and this guy is arcing up because he doesn't have any work.

Another family in the same town went to Spain and the dad came home was driving a taxi a day or so later, I hear he actually had to stop because someone said something to him or maybe tipped off Authorities I don't know. I hear he isn't getting much business these days with Pubs being closed and the 5km etc.

Some people are thick.

Cuts both ways. Neighbor, a medical professional, had a relative die with Covid-19 early on and Covid-19 isn't on the death certificate and they say that it wasn't an isolated case.

So can you be sure that the numbers aren't being under reported?

Not based on your anecdotal evidence, no.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    This is absolute nonsense and people need to stop using Golf Gate as an excuse to ignore Restrictions and put the elderly and immuno-compromised at risk

It's like a child looking at another who is smashing up toys and thinking "if they're doing it, why can't I?"

Except, in this case, we've a load of adults behaving like entitled 10 year olds

Yea, but I’m saying you follow the guidelines unlike the politicians.

Actually it is for many, and travel risks spreading it around further leading to many others being condemned to death also.

As I say. When it is genuinely safe to do so I'll be the first to want to see my family. If sacrificing this for one year brings normality sooner that is a price worth paying.

The impression I get from this thread is that many people deem their personal freedoms to travel irrespective of the consequences to be more important than the health and welfare of others in society.

That's the real ugly side of Western individualism.

Many is a very inaccurate way of describing this and it will never be genuinely safe to travel.

I don’t see my freedom to travel as being above the consequences, but I do see that travel can be done ‘safely’ by taking precautions, testing and isolating on arrival. It’s harder, more expensive and takes time but it’s possible to reduce the risks to an acceptable level.

And this is all about reducing risk, that’s what has Schools open, workplaces open and life going on in many areas by reducing risk and making changes that are necessary to reduce that risk.

The problem is that our government hasn’t been leading the way in making travel safely possible.

So your evidence is based on "being honest with yourself"?

The 1.3m deaths figure the poster I was discussing with referenced is a publicly available figure with graphics and info to support it. It may be erroneous. I suspect it’s not 100% accurate owing to the large number of continuous amendments in Irish and U.K. figures that I’m aware of alone.

That’s a world figure. You think each subscribing country’s Covid death allocation/counting is 100% accurate?

But having said that, I’d sooner work off that figure than someone saying on boards their neighbour is a doctor and etc etc......

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

If i understand correctly the outbound testing is not mandatory? Its just for the convinience if your destination country requires it and you dont have it already?

3xh wrote: »
    The 1.3m deaths figure the poster I was discussing with referenced is a publicly available figure with graphics and info to support it. It may be erroneous. I suspect it’s not 100% accurate owing to the large number of continuous amendments in Irish and U.K. figures that I’m aware of alone.

That’s a world figure. You think each subscribing country’s Covid death allocation/counting is 100% accurate?

But having said that, I’d sooner work off that figure than someone saying on boards their neighbour is a doctor and etc etc......

You seemed to be suggesting that the figure was an over estimate but I must have read your post incorrectly.

You seemed to be suggesting that the figure was an over estimate but I must have read your post incorrectly.

It could be either or. Who knows? But as official estimates go, it’s probably about as right as it can be.

The issue is just how accurate are the initial Covid death annotations? We hear of the US incentivising hospitals to declare their dead as Covid fatalities, figures from the back end of Africa are no doubt included in that 1.3m so how accurate are those death annotations?

But addressing a poster on boards saying ‘equally, my neighbour is a medical professional and their relative died.....’ is impossible and pointless.

Taking it at face value for a sec, is there a chance it made last goodbyes/funeral arrangements easier having the death annotated as something else??

In the 1st wave in the US, they quickly removed their dead for burial/cremation due to contagion where loved ones couldn’t say goodbye. Or so we were told by media?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Wrong thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Witchie wrote: »
    Next Friday night I will, all being well, be on a flight home from Malaysia.

Am completely torn over this because here I have a normal ish life. Tomorrow after work I will go to the pub, will be out all weekend seeing my friends and filling my boots before I go back to what is tantamount to prison compared to now.

But, I can't not go home. My parents reared 4 of us but could end up alone this Christmas if I don't go. My older brother and his wife are the only ones in Ireland now but both work in front line jobs so have to be so careful visiting our elderly parents. My younger siblings are both in Scotland and will Christmas together as my sister can't come home due to pregnancy.

My eldest son might be able to join us from Dublin but my youngest can't get a flight from France.

It's going to be pure misery, I don't want to leave here, especially not knowing when I will be allowed back over here but I don't know how many Christmases my parents have left and am not missing it with them.

I will quarantine, even though I am leaving a city of approximately 7 million with a 14 day incidence of covid of less than 250 people. There have been 19 deaths in my city whereas there have been similar numbers in my home county.

So anyone who wants to have a go at me, go for it. I spoke to my airline today and my flight is virtually empty. I will be in my transit airport for an hour and 20 minutes. I will be masked up and have sanitizer and gloves packed. I'm also a high risk category so I will take every precaution possible.

I have resigned myself to the fact I will not be home for Christmas this year.

It’s been a year since I was home. Lots has happened both good and bad.

Like you my mum is elderly and this year has been very testing for her health wise. She is already lamenting the fact I cannot be there.

I have yet to meet two of the new family members. Which brings joy.

I have yet to pay my condolences to those family members we lost this year.

As a close family each year I see everyone. Now it has been two years since I have seen some of them. It’s pretty numbing to be honest, but that is the price of trying to keep everyone safe.

The tradition of Christmas for us is not presents, it is being together. That is more important to me than anything. Now it seems as if the kids are going their own way this Christmas, so it’ll be the two of us and the dogs. It won’t feel like Christmas at all... I am actually dreading it already. I know that sounds terrible, but herself said the same thing last night.

Thanksgiving is in two weeks and the kids won’t be coming home for that either.

The sooner this crap is over the better.

If you have the chance to see family, take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I'm coming home for Christmas from Spain. I didn't come home last year as I was working Christmas Day and through Christmas. My mother was crying over the phone to me last year about me not coming home as her and my dad were alone for Christmas and my Dad is awful company so she was basically alone. I will stay at home when I come home, I have no interest in going to bars or going to different houses and if anyone wants to see me at my house they can, I will also wear the KN-95 when in their company. By the way the mask people should be using is the FFP-2 /KN-95, I dont know why governments haven't been recommending it, maybe its because they are worried about shortages for health professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Quags

If your worrying about what other people think about you and think that your a bad person for coming home at Christmas to see family then just imagine how you'd feel if any of your family passed away and you never came home cause a random person on a forum asked you to follow guidelines. Just be extra careful with who you see, get tested etc

You never know when it might be your last Christmas to see parents/family

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Endangered the lives of only a small proportion to be fair when you look at it like that, endangering the health system and business/livelihoods is also a larger more widespread concern.

I give you an example, my brother is friends with a pub owner and one of this guys staff who hadn't worked since March decides to go for a quiet week holiday to Spain in August you know just to get away from it all. Turns out that he was actually positive when he came home and didn't restrict his movements for the first few days until he got sick then quietly isolated on the QT, all this only came out recently and this guy is arcing up because he doesn't have any work.

Another family in the same town went to Spain and the dad came home was driving a taxi a day or so later, I hear he actually had to stop because someone said something to him or maybe tipped off Authorities I don't know. I hear he isn't getting much business these days with Pubs being closed and the 5km etc.

Some people are thick.

Is that first example 4th hand? Yeah that's not evidence. That's gossip.

The second, tipped the authorities off about what? He's perfectly legally entitled to play his trade after returning.

Let me ask all you folks, do you shun and shame bus drivers, truck drivers and all the airport staff both traveling and not traveling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,124 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I'm coming home for Christmas from Spain. I didn't come home last year as I was working Christmas Day and through Christmas. My mother was crying over the phone to me last year about me not coming home as her and my dad were alone for Christmas and my Dad is awful company so she was basically alone. I will stay at home when I come home, I have no interest in going to bars or going to different houses and if anyone wants to see me at my house they can, I will also wear the KN-95 when in their company. By the way the mask people should be using is the FFP-2 /KN-95, I dont know why governments haven't been recommending it, maybe its because they are worried about shortages for health professionals.

Would it not be safer just to get tested before flying and maybe again when you land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Quags wrote: »
    If your worrying about what other people think about you and think that your a bad person for coming home at Christmas to see family then just imagine how you'd feel if any of your family passed away and you never came home cause a random person on a forum asked you to follow guidelines. Just be extra careful with who you see, get tested etc

You never know when it might be your last Christmas to see parents/family

I would be more concerned about contributing to the spread of the virus and making it someone else's last Christmas to see their family.

Airport testing isn't a silver bullet due to false negatives in the incubation period. I'd rather wait until the virus is under control.

I'd rather wait until the virus is under control.

There’s that immeasurable metric again, Theo. ‘Under control’ You keep saying it.

What’s your number? R0.1? Daily cases of 50 or fewer? At least 1m vaccines administered in the U.K./Ireland? Whenever the media say so, thereby making you feel safe again?

You’re deluding yourself but hey, your choice, which is key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Is that first example 4th hand? Yeah that's not evidence. That's gossip.

The second, tipped the authorities off about what? He's perfectly legally entitled to play his trade after returning.

Let me ask all you folks, do you shun and shame bus drivers, truck drivers and all the airport staff both traveling and not traveling?

Who said it was evidence? LOL. I’m telling as I heard it, it’s hardly unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Quags

I would be more concerned about contributing to the spread of the virus and making it someone else's last Christmas to see their family.

Airport testing isn't a silver bullet due to false negatives in the incubation period. I'd rather wait until the virus is under control.

But how do you know everyone who travels home is spreading the virus? Its basic scaremongering telling people to not travel home as you will bring the virus with you.

• Advertisement

Quags wrote: »
    But how do you know everyone who travels home is spreading the virus? Its basic scaremongering telling people to not travel home as you will bring the virus with you.

How many of the tens maybe hundreds of thousands who travelled just before the first lockdown spread the virus? Probably very few maybe only a handful but look where we are now.

The recommendations are there because to stop one case coming in you have to restrict thousands of peoples movements (comparatively).

So if you travel you are joining that group that might spread the virus. I know if I stay at home I can't spread it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement