Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

I would be more concerned about contributing to the spread of the virus and making it someone else's last Christmas to see their family.

Airport testing isn't a silver bullet due to false negatives in the incubation period. I'd rather wait until the virus is under control.

fcuk me you really do have it in for travel and pubs, are you sure your not working for NHPET :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Quags

How many of the tens maybe hundreds of thousands who travelled just before the first lockdown spread the virus? Probably very few maybe only a handful but look where we are now.

The recommendations are there because to stop one case coming in you have to restrict thousands of peoples movements (comparatively).

So if you travel you are joining that group that might spread the virus. I know if I stay at home I can't spread it.

While yes in the first lockdown, it was utter mayhem where loads came in and just didn't isolate, I know a few who went to house parties the idiots and caused more cases but if your coming home to visit family only then take all precautions as much as you personally feel. Everyone is going to have different opinions on this and could be here for months talking.

Quags wrote: »
    But how do you know everyone who travels home is spreading the virus? Its basic scaremongering telling people to not travel home as you will bring the virus with you.

This is exactly what it is, scaremongering and nothing else.

I don't think anyone would mind if a large percentage of cases were directly attributed to international travel but as has been pointed out numerous times less than 1% are, but when you point out this fact those pro NPHET /Government people go into denial and keep on saying air travel is dangerous without offering a shred of evidence.

You really couldnt make this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Quags

SB71 wrote: »
    This is exactly what it is, scaremongering and nothing else.

I don't think anyone would mind if a large percentage of cases were directly attributed to international travel but as has been pointed out numerous times less than 1% are, but when you point out this fact those pro NPHET /Government people go into denial and keep on saying air travel is dangerous without offering a shred of evidence.

You really couldnt make this up.

If you go against NPHET/Gov then your a mad person and need to put your hold on life for a vaccine that you will need to get yearly or boosters whenever you feel poorly. Life has to go on and while its terrible people have died from this virus, many more people have died from lack of mental health help, homelessness, cancer and other diseases but we dont have NPHET /Government telling us these figures and a way to combat spreading all of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

But how do you know everyone who travels home is spreading the virus? Its basic scaremongering telling people to not travel home as you will bring the virus with you.

In the absence of certainty I would choose to wait this Christmas out and assess the situation in the summer to see if we can be more confident.

Uncertainty should lead to caution particularly since we know that travel has spread the virus around the world to begin with.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Who said it was evidence? LOL. I’m telling as I heard it, it’s hardly unbelievable.

You did, you did. You told us all two lovely stories that you think proves a point.

The first is pure gossip and the second is gossip that's easily refuted by reality so speaks volumes about those that blindly Believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

In the absence of certainty I would choose to wait this Christmas out and assess the situation in the summer to see if we can be more confident.

Uncertainty should lead to caution particularly since we know that travel has spread the virus around the world to begin with.

It was only a few months ago that people were saying "can't we just stay at home for 1 year", I can see now that it's already turning into a 2nd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

If you go against NPHET/Gov then your a mad person and need to put your hold on life for a vaccine that you will need to get yearly or boosters whenever you feel poorly. Life has to go on and while its terrible people have died from this virus, many more people have died from lack of mental health help, homelessness, cancer and other diseases but we dont have NPHET /Government telling us these figures and a way to combat spreading all of it

As was said before covid is the only game in town!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Covid-19: Irish abroad should abandon plans to come home for Christmas, Holohan says.

Medical officer rules out festive international travel even on compassionate grounds

Irish Times

CervicalCheck Holohan is laying down the law to the pheasant class.

I hope as many people as possible book flights and come home and ignore this moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    8 months into a once in a century pandemic and you're comparing it to "other nasties"?

The mind boggles sometimes

Really, if you're struggling with a moderate virus than can be so easily avoided then there's lots of other 'nasties' out there that aren't so easy to defend against, many with a fatality rate 100+ time that of C-19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

travelling to lanzarote for xmas have been isolating for 9 months only so much...

RobitTV wrote: »
    Holohan is laying down the law to the pheasant class.

I hope as many people as possible book flights and come home and ignore this moron.

That will teach em to act the fowl when it's the turkeys time to shine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Covid-19: Irish abroad should abandon plans to come home for Christmas, Holohan says.

Medical officer rules out festive international travel even on compassionate grounds

Irish Times

Good luck with that.
    Unless they close the airports completely or airlines stop all flights to/from Dublin, there is nothing really stopping people from coming home for Christmas - or in my case flying home for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Good luck with that.
    Unless they close the airports completely or airlines stop all flights to/from Dublin, there is nothing really stopping people from coming home for Christmas - or in my case flying home for Christmas.

What if he is right? What if flying over Christmas will lead to more transmission of the virus and make it more difficult to control the virus in Ireland in the new year?

I guess all that stuff doesn't matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

What if he is right? What if flying over Christmas will lead to more transmission of the virus and make it more difficult to control the virus in Ireland in the new year?

I didn't comment on whether he is right or wrong.
    I commented on how I think his "advice" can be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

There's a lot of what if's going around, what if people fly home and numbers don't rise, what if they rise regardless, what if we just get on with it?

No-one really has any answers, TH especially doesn't, he has literally proven himself wrong several times, can understand that and don't blame him, he's fighting a shadow but he'll always err on the side of maximum caution - that what he's there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

There's some real bargains out there I think for anyone thinking ahead to next summer already...I just checked a black Friday sale from a family hotel group we've used in Mallorca, and 10 days all-inclusive next summer is coming in around half of what we paid for it in 2019....pay nothing up front and free cancellation up to a couple of days before arrival...can leave sorting out the flights until much closer to the time.

A lot of the Spanish hotels have publicly listed chains behind them and I imagine presently they're desperate just to get bookings in for next summer whatever the price to show they can turn the corner...

exactly, but unfortunately the sheep just blindly believe everything they are drip fed from the government and NPHET.

Irish Times

yep well said, i too urge everyone who wants to come home to do so and just follow the correct safety measures and you will be fine.

Ignore the prophets of doom and scaremongering.

People have been flying since March and the cases haven't sky rocketed, i myself have flown several times, never felt safer, but i suppose people like yourself and others who blindly follow what NPHET say will bury your head in the sand at this.

Where are all the huge clusters of airline staff with the virus, oh wait there are none at all, i dont recall hearing about a single case where a staff member for an airline tested positive and caught it whilst flying.

Mark my words if an event like this occured Holohan would be the first to say this on live TV to try and vindicate himself and his outrageous claims about travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

SB71 wrote: »
    yep well said, i too urge everyone who wants to come home to do so and just follow the correct safety measures and you will be fine.

Ignore the prophets of doom and scaremongering.

Absolutely! I want to totally back up yourself and RobitTV in expressing my fervent wish that Irish people stop kowtowing to this control freak and make their own decisions as to what is and is not essential. And if Christmas with loved ones is not essential after a horrendous year, what is?

Holohan's power and control, like the bishops of old, is becoming a lot more alarming than the virus. With a bit of cop on and following the measures most people will avoid the virus, but how to avoid this man who seems to have an iron grip on our country!

Remember when he went on a solo run tweeting that nobody should go abroad during the summer? And here we are months later and he's still at it, this time Christmas being the demon! Will he stop for next summer?? And some people think he's only doing his job, really??

Book your flights people and spend your Christmas with your loved ones. Life is too short for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

agoodpunt wrote: »
    travelling to lanzarote for xmas have been isolating for 9 months only so much...

Whats your plan for adhering to their testing requirements if you don’t mind me asking? Plan on going myself at some stage in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I'm thinking about changing destination from Tenerife to Lanzarote at the moment. The cases are rising in Tenerife and now bars will close at 11pm and capacity has been reduced.

Lanzarote are on the 'green light' meaning that bars will close at 1am and capacity is much higher. The cases are also much lower than anywhere else in the Canary Islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Just an update from my previous posts. My son's fiancee arrived from Mexico last Thursday, no problems except the usual border control questions, was advised to restrict her movements for 14 days.

I'm so happy for them, almost a year since they seen each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Again, it's not their job to worry about the economy. Absolutely nothing to do with them and any medical expert that's opinion is based on the economy shouldn't be listened to.

You are giving out to doctors for not considering your finances. Do you complain that the department of finance aren't issuing medical advise? No because it's not within their remit.

It's for the government to make the decisions having regards to all areas of society and after listening to each efforts advise within their area of expertise.

I need travel to remain open. Tests before entering Spain are yet another expense for me that I don't need but look, it is what it is.

While I agree with your point on the role of NPHET I abhor the public platform that man gets on a daily basis - and people blindly follow his advice despite him being proven wrong on several occasions. Like government every multinational has advisory groups. But that is what they do, they don't present their finding to all and sundry - that's for the people who pay for their advice.

To put a spin on your reference to the Dept. of Finance:

Like NPHET they advise the government as they would also have done during the crash in 2008. However, they did not get a daily slot on the news for the best part of a year telling the nation about our worsening national financial situation. Yet for some reason this arrogant individual does just that about a virus. And his opinion is beyond question!!

It beggars belief, it's like we're going back to the Dev and McQuaid era.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Whats your plan for adhering to their testing requirements if you don’t mind me asking? Plan on going myself at some stage in 2021.
    Have to take a test 72 hours before give result to hotel on checkin
    take extra care with tranfers and transitting airports wash mask and distance.
    Lanzarote is a low risk area it all about the to and fro

Havent been on a ryanair in years that the scary part !

https://turismolanzarote.com/en/coronavirus-covid-19-information-of-interest/

While I agree with your point on the role of NPHET I abhor the public platform that man gets on a daily basis - and people blindly follow his advice despite him being proven wrong on several occasions. Like government every multinational has advisory groups. But that is what they do, they don't present their finding to all and sundry - that's for the people who pay for their advice.

To put a spin on your reference to the Dept. of Finance:

Like NPHET they advise the government as they would also have done during the crash in 2008. However, they did not get a daily slot on the news for the best part of a year telling the nation about our worsening national financial situation. Yet for some reason this arrogant individual does just that about a virus. And his opinion is beyond question!!

It beggars belief, it's like we're going back to the Dev and McQuaid era.

Fair point. I would have assumed that it was the government rolling him out though. He is their expert when it comes to answering questions on the subject and just look at the blame he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

acequion wrote: »

Holohan's power and control, like the bishops of old, is becoming a lot more alarming than the virus.

The John Charles McQuaid of our times! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

agoodpunt wrote: »
    Have to take a test 72 hours before give result to hotel on checkin
    take extra care with tranfers and transitting airports wash mask and distance.
    Lanzarote is a low risk area it all about the to and fro

Havent been on a ryanair in years that the scary part !

https://turismolanzarote.com/en/coronavirus-covid-19-information-of-interest/

Keep checking the official list that’s going to be updated by the Spanish authorities every two weeks, if we are orange or green, no PCR test may be required at all,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

folks have been in spain since august, have a place there. coming home enxt week .they wil lrestrict their movements of course for the required few days, for their own sake, both would be high risk if they caught it.

imagine telling them they cant come home.. haha

Holohan aka Dr Hush can fook off at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement