Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

acequion wrote: »
    Absolutely! I want to totally back up yourself and RobitTV in expressing my fervent wish that Irish people stop kowtowing to this control freak and make their own decisions as to what is and is not essential. And if Christmas with loved ones is not essential after a horrendous year, what is?

Holohan's power and control, like the bishops of old, is becoming a lot more alarming than the virus. With a bit of cop on and following the measures most people will avoid the virus, but how to avoid this man who seems to have an iron grip on our country!

Remember when he went on a solo run tweeting that nobody should go abroad during the summer? And here we are months later and he's still at it, this time Christmas being the demon! Will he stop for next summer?? And some people think he's only doing his job, really??

Book your flights people and spend your Christmas with your loved ones. Life is too short for this!

well said

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You did, you did. You told us all two lovely stories that you think proves a point.

The first is pure gossip and the second is gossip that's easily refuted by reality so speaks volumes about those that blindly Believe it.

Well I would just laugh in your face, your opinion on the matter hardly matters.

I told two accounts of something that was discussed with my brother who I trust, he heard one directly from his friend who told him legitimately that he let one of his workers go.

The second was well known in the town, it’s true the taxi driver went to Spain as one of the kids spilled the beans and then he was back driving the taxi for a few days until something was mentioned and he was off in isolation ....that’s the only part that’s sketchy as was he forced to stop or stopped because people were talking about him. It doesn’t mean it’s not true.

It’s not evidence in a court of law, it’s an Internet forum. If you don’t like the story too bad no one cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

And as i mentioned a few days ago they spent so much time urging people to "staycation" in Ireland trotting out the usual "flying is dangerous" rubbish, it was pointed out by numerous people that popular Irish holiday towns like Killarney and Dingle could become overcrowded due to everyone staying at home, but this was laughed off, then what happens, a sharp rise in cases due to "staycation" but silence from NPHET and they just stuck to the "flying is dangerous"

It's incredible how a bunch of supposed mendical experts have managed to exert such power and control in this country, when you've a spineless coalition government who literally are making it up as they go along,and unwilling /unable to make any sort of rational decisions themselves.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/coronavirus-cases-up-at-staycation-spots-as-doctors-worry-about-test-no-shows-39390371.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

SB71 wrote: »
    , i dont recall hearing about a single case where a staff member for an airline tested positive and caught it whilst flying.

That's an interesting point. I am trying to psyche myself up to fly again next year.
    Yet there are many cabin crew flying on a daily basis to different cities. They also have to walk through the various airports etc.

Unfortunately we never seem to hear where the 400 or so Covid cases per day here in Ireland are originating from. Is this a secret or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

That's an interesting point. I am trying to psyche myself up to fly again next year.
    Yet there are many cabin crew flying on a daily basis to different cities. They also have to walk through the various airports etc.

Unfortunately we never seem to hear where the 400 or so Covid cases per day here in Ireland are originating from. Is this a secret or something?

was only thinking about this again yesterday. myself and the wife have large groups of friends.

we know of one person that caught it and died back in March from an underlying condition.

other than that we know nobody that has had it. we know hundreds that have been tested with their kids and not a single person we know has had it.

id be willing to guess the vast majority of these daily cases are still nursing homes and health workers but they wont tell us that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

no with lots of testing there will be false positives there be more cases at airports when they start general testing there

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Well I would just laugh in your face, your opinion on the matter hardly matters.

I told two accounts of something that was discussed with my brother who I trust, he heard one directly from his friend who told him legitimately that he let one of his workers go.

The second was well known in the town, it’s true the taxi driver went to Spain as one of the kids spilled the beans and then he was back driving the taxi for a few days until something was mentioned and he was off in isolation ....that’s the only part that’s sketchy as was he forced to stop or stopped because people were talking about him. It doesn’t mean it’s not true.

It’s not evidence in a court of law, it’s an Internet forum. If you don’t like the story too bad no one cares.

Again 4th hand and just to be clear, your saying now that the person was fired over traveling and not following voluntary medical advise? Cha ching for that guy.

The second story, we have dropped the party about the authorities now. See how it's already changed?

copeyhagen wrote: »
    was only thinking about this again yesterday. myself and the wife have large groups of friends.

we know of one person that caught it and died back in March from an underlying condition.

other than that we know nobody that has had it. we know hundreds that have been tested with their kids and not a single person we know has had it.

id be willing to guess the vast majority of these daily cases are still nursing homes and health workers but they wont tell us that.

Lots of clusters to do with work and living proximately but to echo your own thoughts, I work in a high risk environment as in, high chance of getting it. So far we only know of 5 people. Without a doubt more asymptomatic cases but not a single death or even icu admittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

I very much agree here. I teach full time in a very large secondary school so I'm in close contact with hundreds of people every single day. Yet, apart from 3 cases among our students, caught outside of school and quickly contained, not a single other person has got infected with this virus and just imagine the large staff of a large school! So like you I'm both curious and suspicious as to where these infections are coming from. I'm also getting a lot more assured about the ability of the basic protocols to protect against infection ie the mask wearing, sanitising, distancing etc. Hence, I'm getting more and more frustrated by the OTT restrictions and by the likes of Holohan telling people Christmas is not essential and our useless Govt telling people they can't book flights yet.

To repeat what I said earlier, NPHET, our useless Govt and their scaremongering propaganda machine, RTE, are much more alarming and the cause of much more fear and worry than the actual virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Lots of clusters to do with work and living proximately but to echo your own thoughts, I work in a high risk environment as in, high chance of getting it. So far we only know of 5 people. Without a doubt more asymptomatic cases but not a single death or even icu admittance.

How many have Long Covid?

I'm guessing you work in a hospital or similar? Health care workers make up a 6th of all of Ireland's figures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I’d count yourselves as lucky. Where I work is high risk as well and we were hit badly early on. One staff member had gotten it before the first lockdown (very start of March) and within the month, it seemed like half of the staff were off sick.

There’s only 200~ of us staff in total and I can name at least twenty I worked with that had it (I wouldn’t know everyone in the place, obviously). Two were admit to ICU (neither older than 45) and months on, a good portion still aren’t right and say they have a bit more of a struggle with normal things like the stairs.

It’s great that we’ve extra precautions now with masks, social distancing, etc. but in the very early days, it seemed rampant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Changed my flights and hotel and I'm going to Lanzarote in mid Janaury. I was originally booked for Tenerife in early December, but they seem to be announcing more measures over there and bars and restaurants have to close at 11pm and the bars and restaurants have reduced capacity under the new restrictions.

I'm glad I'm waiting longer now to be honest till January, I think December is going to be a struggle trying to reduce the amount of new cases. Maybe by January they will be over the worst of the rising cases.

Lanzarote is doing pretty well and nightlife is open till 1am. Hope the cases remain stable there.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I'm very careful about social distancing, which I regard as the primary infection control measure as well as the other measures. I see little social distancing in the city I live in and it annoys me because I know it is prolonging the problem. A woman yesterday went to walk right beside me and when I politely asked her to move out of my way she gave a very ignorant look and actually asked me why.It amazes me how many people think you dont have to social distance when wearing a face mask. There should be an education campaign. Also there is limited evidence of the transmission of covid by fomite yet people also place an over emphasis on hand sanitation- just dont touch you eyes nose of mouth.

I hope to travel to London in January on very important business. An opportune time at the end of the English Lockdown when I expect Irish cases will have again increased exponentially following the easing of restrictions and widespread non-compliance over the Christmas period.Widespread travling shopping and festivities over christmas will cause numbers to grow exponentially leading to another lockdown which will decimate the economy. Will people ever learn. I will not be changing my behaviour over christmas and not meeting family or friends in my home. Any meetings will be with only one person, preferably outside, and socially distanced. Unfortely Things will have to be different this christmas.

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I'm very careful about social distancing, which I regard as the primary infection control measure as well as the other measures. I see little social distancing in the city I live in and it annoys me because I know it is prolonging the problem. A woman yesterday went to walk right beside me and when I politely asked her to move out of my way she gave a very ignorant look and actually asked me why.It amazes me how many people think you dont have to social distance when wearing a face mask. There should be an education campaign. Also there is limited evidence of the transmission of covid by fomite yet people also place an over emphasis on hand sanitation- just dont touch you eyes nose of mouth.

I hope to travel to London in January on very important business. An opportune time at the end of the English Lockdown when I expect Irish cases will have again increased exponentially following the easing of restrictions and widespread non-compliance over the Christmas period.Widespread travling shopping and festivities over christmas will cause numbers to grow exponentially leading to another lockdown which will decimate the economy. Will people ever learn. I will not be changing my behaviour over christmas and not meeting family or friends in my home. Any meetings will be with only one person, preferably outside, and socially distanced. Unfortely Things will have to be different this christmas.

God but you sound so judgemental!

Great that you're doing what you think best but you know what? Those other people you're looking down on sanctimoniously will also do what they think best because that's how it is with human nature.

Personally I'd never ask somebody to move out of my way and the chance of becoming infected by short minutes in close proximity with anybody especially with both masked, are low to none.

What would you do if you were in my job? In a school where kids don't fully get this notion of distancing and often come too close for comfort but I do feel safer when all parties are wearing a mask. I've been doing it daily for close on three months now and so far so good.

If only people would stop the blaming and finger wagging! Just do what you feel you have to and leave others alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Can’t believe this thread is still going. :D

The planes are still taking off and landing, in Dublin anyway. Traffic light system is in place.

No one is listening to the doom and gloomers anymore. People are focused on strategies to keep travel as safe as possible.

The government, by not implement something like this months ago, is to blame for any travel related outbreaks. (That up to now account for less than 2%)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

faceman wrote: »

The planes are still taking off and landing, in Dublin anyway. Traffic light system is in place.

No one is listening to the doom and gloomers anymore. People are focused on strategies to keep travel as safe as possible.

The government, by not implement something like this months ago, is to blame for any travel related outbreaks. (That up to now account for less than 2%)

The doom and gloomers being the medical experts advising against travel because it will make it harder to fight the virus.

Of course it is. It's inconsiderate to boot.

I've explained the problem with the 1% or 2% figure. It is disingenuous because it doesn't account for onward spread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The doom and gloomers being the medical experts advising against travel because it will make it harder to fight the virus.

Of course it is. It's inconsiderate to boot.

I've explained the problem with the 1% or 2% figure. It is disingenuous because it doesn't account for onward spread.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

The question is. Why?

We have about 400 cases a day. Why are we not being told where the cases are originating from. We get a breakdown of the counties and that's about it.

We hear that it is occurring in private homes. Irresponsible people having parties etc. Are the 400 daily cases occurring in private homes? Have they proof of this or is this just being put out there to stop people from meeting up.

There are people who have posted here who work in schools and are saying that it is not a problem there. People are flying daily and it is not a problem there. People at work and it is not a problem there.

They need to start giving us more detail. I want to avoid the problem areas of infection but I also want to be able to engage in other areas where it is not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

acequion wrote: »
    God but you sound so judgemental!

Great that you're doing what you think best but you know what? Those other people you're looking down on sanctimoniously will also do what they think best because that's how it is with human nature.

Personally I'd never ask somebody to move out of my way and the chance of becoming infected by short minutes in close proximity with anybody especially with both masked, are low to none.

What would you do if you were in my job? In a school where kids don't fully get this notion of distancing and often come too close for comfort but I do feel safer when all parties are wearing a mask. I've been doing it daily for close on three months now and so far so good.

If only people would stop the blaming and finger wagging! Just do what you feel you have to and leave others alone.

People are flouting the CMO Public Health guidelines and not social distancing etc. I see it every day in city I live. Groups hanging out not socially distanced. People walking right up to you. Hence The numbers grow exponentially and two lockdowns already. When will those who flout the rules learn? It's ok for you a teacher being paid by the state. What about many who lost their jobs due to lockdowns due to non compliance?

When its placing business in jeopardy and peoples health and live at risk I think it should be called out and shouldn't be silenced by people like you who might not entirely believe or misunderstand in the science or the highly infectious nature of the disease.. Hence more lockdowns on the way because people flout the rules and learn the hard way.

Contrary to what you say Masks dont protect the wearer only the other parties( assuming a good correctly fitting mask) and masks sent 100% effective hence social distancing is required also. Masks are not required outdoors when socially distanced.

Its entirely possible to transmit covid within a second of passing by somebody as the SarsCov2 is Highly infectious

I personally would be very afraid of infecting another person with covid and possibly contributing to their death so I adhere to the rules as I dont want it on my conscience that I contributed to somebody's death.

People are flouting the CMO Public Health guidelines and not social distancing etc. I see it every day in city I live. Groups hanging out not socially distanced. People walking right up to you. Hence The numbers grow exponentially and two lockdowns already. When will those who flout the rules learn? It's ok for you a teacher being paid by the state. What about many who lost their jobs due to lockdowns due to non compliance?

When its placing business in jeopardy and peoples health and live at risk I think it should be called out and shouldn't be silenced by people like you who might not entirely believe or misunderstand in the science or the highly infectious nature of the disease.. Hence more lockdowns on the way because people flout the rules and learn the hard way.

Contrary to what you say Masks dont protect the wearer only the other parties( assuming a good correctly fitting mask) and masks sent 100% effective hence social distancing is required also. Masks are not required outdoors when socially distanced.

Its entirely possible to transmit covid within a second of passing by somebody as the SarsCov2 is Highly infectious

I personally would be very afraid of infecting another person with covid and possibly contributing to their death so I adhere to the rules as I dont want it on my conscience that I contributed to somebody's death.

I have just reported the very abusive pm which you sent me, very different in tone from the above post, apart from the snide dig about my job. Attacking people for their views by pm is harrassment, not to mention extremely cowardly. :mad:

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    How many have Long Covid?

I'm guessing you work in a hospital or similar? Health care workers make up a 6th of all of Ireland's figures

I understand it's just autocorrect strikes again but I can't understand the first question.

That number of 6th doesn't really matter. The numbers remain low. For such a supposedly hugely contagious illness, our numbers aren't high.

Just an observation on my part that considering how contagious we were told it was, very few got it and we weren't even wearing masks initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

The question is. Why?

We have about 400 cases a day. Why are we not being told where the cases are originating from. We get a breakdown of the counties and that's about it.

We hear that it is occurring in private homes. Irresponsible people having parties etc. Are the 400 daily cases occurring in private homes? Have they proof of this or is this just being put out there to stop people from meeting up.

There are people who have posted here who work in schools and are saying that it is not a problem there. People are flying daily and it is not a problem there. People at work and it is not a problem there.

They need to start giving us more detail. I want to avoid the problem areas of infection but I also want to be able to engage in other areas where it is not a problem.

maybe people wouldnt buy into their BS if its true? and they know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

So what are you saying? That the figures are deliberately incorrect each day?
    maybe people wouldnt buy into their BS if its true? and they know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There is an opportunity in there somewhere for scammers to provide a negative test piece of paper surely?

johnire wrote: »
    So what are you saying? That the figures are deliberately incorrect each day?

I don't think he's saying that. But given how restricted our lives are, how many sacrifices people have been asked to make, more detail and more transparency is the least you'd expect.

Vagueness, secrecy and poor communication all breed distrust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I'll be flying home for Xmas, anyway. Sorry Leo! (Only joking I'm not in the least bit sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

RobitTV wrote: »
    Changed my flights and hotel and I'm going to Lanzarote in mid Janaury. I was originally booked for Tenerife in early December, but they seem to be announcing more measures over there and bars and restaurants have to close at 11pm and the bars and restaurants have reduced capacity under the new restrictions.

I'm glad I'm waiting longer now to be honest till January, I think December is going to be a struggle trying to reduce the amount of new cases. Maybe by January they will be over the worst of the rising cases.

Lanzarote is doing pretty well and nightlife is open till 1am. Hope the cases remain stable there.

You do right. We were due to go to Catalonia in June as it started to kick off again but we were able to change it to the Aquataine in France in July. A bit dearer but worth it for the peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

faceman wrote: »

Do you mean the system they're trying to ruin even before anyone actually goes anywhere?

https://www.thejournal.ie/christmas-travel-gabriel-scally-5267856-Nov2020/

I presume they roll these people out on a rota to come out with this guff at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I think I should have a right of reply to these incorrect comments of yours:

Im reporting you.I find you very abusive towards me. Disgraceful remarks earlier from you when all I asked was that people on the street adhere to the Chief Medical Officer's guidelines re social distancing of 2m and you called me " santamoneous" etc just for that. Which was unjustified. Many many people have lost their jobs because people flout the rules and lockdowns imposed . You then claimed incorrectly that you can not or unlikely to contract covid by walking by somebody within 2m, if this is the case why have social distancing at all? You're not a scientist but a teacher in a cossetted profession unlike many bar workers, hospitality etc doing a wonderful job before covid struck.

Furthermore it's entirely false to accuse me of harassing you I did nothing of the sort and you know that.

People have lost their jobs because the government have forcibly shut the country down rather than take responsibility for the sh*t show that our health system is after years of total mismanagement.
    Their only solution to ‘live with covid’ is locking 5 million people in their houses indefinitely until we find ourselves a cure.
    After 8 months that’s still the best they can come up with, even though the initial lockdown was supposed to be an emergency temporary measure to give us time to get our house in order.

Hundreds of thousands of people are not out of work and the daily death figure isn’t because some people don’t social distance properly in Tesco, for goodness sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

SusieBlue wrote: »
    People have lost their jobs because the government have forcibly shut the country down rather than take responsibility for the sh*t show that our health system is after years of total mismanagement.
    Their only solution to ‘live with covid’ is locking 5 million people in their houses indefinitely until we find ourselves a cure.
    After 8 months that’s still the best they can come up with, even though the initial lockdown was supposed to be an emergency temporary to give us time to get our house in order.
    Hundreds of thousands of people are not out of work because some people don’t social distance properly in Tesco, for goodness sake.

No...people lost their jobs, their businesses, their time, their freedom, their relationships, their sanity, their loved ones because of the people who only think for themselves.

50% selfish behaviour this wave and 50% not controlling borders from February onwards.

The first wave unavoidable, the second wave inexcusable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement