Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

You might be negative, but the person squashed next to you on the airplane might not be.

A bit like being on a bus then... Except alot safer than being on a bus due to the ventilation being better on an airplane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

FrStone wrote: »
    A bit like being on a bus then... Except alot safer than being on a bus due to the ventilation being better on an airplane.

And masking, low risk unless you're both a bit reckless about interactions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

FrStone wrote: »

Exactly, you'd want to be fairly unfortunate to pick up the Virus on a flight, especially now that all the windows are closed on a bus to keep the rain out and coach buses don't have windows or filtered air systems..

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

If the virus is as devious as Dr Mary says, we can only wait for vaccine. It is a potentially deadly virus, however, less than 2% of the population have tested positive, for some perspective. Therefore, the measures recommended must be working. Student parties in Limerick have caused a spike in that county, and spread infection to other areas, when they go home, are an example of letting our guard down. Poor Garda enforcement, hopeless HSE management and weak government are other issues.We are 3rd in Europe, which we earned with strictest of restrictions. People who have negative examples of rare instances can frighten others disproportionately. Most news media love to spread bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does the good news on the vaccine front over the past week influence 2021 travel plans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rocky1813

Just back from three weeks in Spain. So glad I went now. We have an apartment about an hour from Malaga. The plane was packed going over and coming back. The weather was lovely and we did lots of walking. The bars and restaurants had to close every day at 6 but that didn’t bother us as we’d have our lunch out most days. We’ve already booked to go back after Christmas. I know we’ll need a negative test before going. Would have loved to have stayed for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Gael23 wrote: »
    Does the good news on the vaccine front over the past week influence 2021 travel plans?

It doesn’t influence our decision to travel, will be traveling in June & September, flights & accommodation are booked, hopefully as it’s rolled out & infection numbers drop the only influence will be that we don’t have the added expense of a test but if a test is required for our destination, so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

rocky1813 wrote: »
    Just back from three weeks in Spain. So glad I went now. We have an apartment about an hour from Malaga. The plane was packed going over and coming back. The weather was lovely and we did lots of walking. The bars and restaurants had to close every day at 6 but that didn’t bother us as we’d have our lunch out most days. We’ve already booked to go back after Christmas. I know we’ll need a negative test before going. Would have loved to have stayed for longer.

It really is amazing to get away from the craziness here for a few weeks. They seem to have found a good balance, certainly in southern Spain outside of the main cities, of allowing life to continue with appropriate restrictions. Excellent for both mental and physical health. Just back and will be going again in January also.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I normally travel for work, four days a week. Sometimes it's just to Dublin, but it could be any commercial office in Ireland or overseas. We've been told we're not going to be traveling again until the end of March 2021. It makes things awkward for us of course, but that's the advice I'm using to base my personal travel on also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

It doesn’t influence our decision to travel, will be traveling in June & September, flights & accommodation are booked, hopefully as it’s rolled out & infection numbers drop the only influence will be that we don’t have the added expense of a test but if a test is required for our destination, so be it

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1116/1178432-covid-19-testing-facilities-to-open-at-dublin-airport/

Its a nice little scam they've got going, €99 (at least) for a test, maybe more like €150 - each.

Adds up for a family of 4 and perhaps needing the test both ways - and then you aren't even guaranteed of a negative, imagine forking out all that money for the tests plus the flights accomodation etc and then last second you can't go ... nah, it's done.

Travel is over except for the rich - these tests will continue even when this has passed, just like mask wearing and social distancing will ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1116/1178432-covid-19-testing-facilities-to-open-at-dublin-airport/

Its a nice little scam they've got going, €99 (at least) for a test, maybe more like €150 - each.

Adds up for a family of 4 and perhaps needing the test both ways - and then you aren't even guaranteed of a negative, imagine forking out all that money for the tests plus the flights accomodation etc and then last second you can't go ... nah, it's done.

Travel is over except for the rich - these tests will continue even when this has passed, just like mask wearing and social distancing will ....

The price of testing will reduce over time and faster, cheaper tests will be introduced.

Evidence from the recovery of the domestic aviation market in China would suggest a full and fast recovery of the European travel market one vaccines begin to roll out early next year and the virus is brought under control.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Travel-Leisure/China-s-domestic-tourism-glitters-on-Golden-Week-rebound

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

As with some earlier posters just back from just over two weeks in Torrevieja, Spain. Plane was fairly packed going over (about 80% I'd say) but more or less fully packed coming back. The curfew in Torrevieja didn't start until 12 (it varies per region in Spain), so bars and restaurants are open close to that time. People wearing masks everywhere in public, but all shops/hairdressers etc. open. Sanitisers in every premises and limited numbers allowed in. Great to be able to get out walking in the sun/going to the beach and eating/drinking out, all done safely, socially distancing etc. Felt very safe there. I would not discourage anyone from travelling (if you are thinking about it)and would recommend it. Obviously with the PCR test coming in there is that additional cost. Restricted movements now for the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

Agree but doubt I'd consider getting tests for the whole family, earlier on when we were booked for Greece part of the agreement was that one member of the travelling party might be tested, the only one who couldn't restrict their movements after would be me really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    As with some earlier posters just back from just over two weeks in Torrevieja, Spain. Plane was fairly packed going over (about 80% I'd say) but more or less fully packed coming back. The curfew in Torrevieja didn't start until 12 (it varies per region in Spain), so bars and restaurants are open close to that time. People wearing masks everywhere in public, but all shops/hairdressers etc. open. Sanitisers in every premises and limited numbers allowed in. Great to be able to get out walking in the sun/going to the beach and eating/drinking out, all done safely, socially distancing etc. Felt very safe there. I would not discourage anyone from travelling (if you are thinking about it)and would recommend it. Obviously with the PCR test coming in there is that additional cost. Restricted movements now for the next two weeks.

Something to think about, Torrevieja case rate per 100,000 is currently 56 and continuing to trend downward.

Dublin is 124. There’s only 1 county in Ireland with a lower rate than Torrevieja and that’s Wexford.

Yet you’re being told to restrict your movements... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

anyone know if we can claim tax relief on these tests? Medical fees etc

I'll need them every month id say , sometimes twice a month .

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I wonder will TV3 do their usual schmaltzy “Airport stories/Coming Home For Christmas” at Dublin airport this year?!

Mr rebel wrote: »
    I wonder will TV3 do their usual schmaltzy “Airport stories/Coming Home For Christmas” at Dublin airport this year?!

More along the lines of lynching everyone as soon as they get off the plane

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Ditto for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

The first bit is a little dramatic, the second bit is probably accurate though for 2021 & possibly 2022 until a certain level of vaccination is complete, the reality is that Ireland is generally speaking a wealthy country & I believe there is an appetite for leisure travel at all levels from a cheap AirB&B to 5* hotels, everyone has their own different income / budget

A test is just something that you MAY have to factor into your budget depending on our own infection numbers & your destinations infection numbers.

It looks like an EU wide accepted antigen test is possibly going to happen for a number of situations including travel, see the last few lines of the sixth paragraph

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_2047

EDIT: I think there will be a V shaped recovery for the aviation sector once a successful vaccine rollout is underway alongside an EU wide accepted pre flight rapid testing system

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Ireland should be orange on the map tomorrow allowing you to go to Spain and other places without taking a pre departure test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The first bit is a little dramatic, the second bit is probably accurate though for 2021 & possibly 2022 until a certain level of vaccination is complete, the reality is that Ireland is generally speaking a wealthy country & I believe there is an appetite for leisure travel at all levels from a cheap AirB&B to 5* hotels, everyone has their own different income / budget

A test is just something that you MAY have to factor into your budget depending on our own infection numbers & your destinations infection numbers.

It looks like an EU wide accepted antigen test is possibly going to happen for a number of situations including travel, see the last few lines of the sixth paragraph

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_2047

EDIT: I think there will be a V shaped recovery for the aviation sector once a successful vaccine rollout is underway alongside an EU wide accepted pre flight rapid testing system

Well that is good news if they go down the antigen test route - much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

God, that's an ignorant statement and lacks even the most basic understanding of economics.

This has gone on too long to be V shaped. At best it will be U shaped.

Ireland has gone Orange. Wont last I dont think but maybe we can hold on and those that do need to travel dont get fleeced

Ireland has gone Orange. Wont last I dont think but maybe we can hold on and those that do need to travel dont get fleeced

I think it should hopefully last until Christmas anyway.

I think it should hopefully last until Christmas anyway.

If they lock down longer. I foresee another 2 weeks personally

I think we'll get it down a little further between now and December 1st, then Level 3 should hopefully hold it steady enough until Christmas.

We'll definitely go red again in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I'm beyond caring at this rate about the lockdown levels, All I know is that when January comes I will be flying abroad to Lanzarote for a break and escaping this psychodrama.

Chairman Holohan can demand Level 5 all he wants in January. I might even extend my break if things go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Quags

Will definitely see us through to end of December but when lockdown is finished then more and more will meet each other and cases will rise, country back to red and lockdown

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Quags wrote: »
    Will definitely see us through to end of December but when lockdown is finished then more and more will meet each other and cases will rise, country back to red and lockdown

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results"

Who is expecting different results?

Loosen lockdown restrictions, numbers creep up over a few weeks/months till hospitals look in bother, Increase lockdown restrictions at the right time till numbers go down again, loosen lockdown restrictions again until numbers go up and hospitals in bother, rinse and repeat till:
    Widescale vaccinations/Widescale immunity (if proven)

The only way that works "better" is if the majority of the populace do more when the restrictions are loosened to avoid close physical contact/meeting in groups etc etc......and we have longer and/or no need to increase the restrictions regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Here in Malaysia we had an increase in cases despite the CMCO (conditional movement control order) for a few weeks to over 1000 cases a day. Thankfully has dropped down to about 600 a day now. But this is a country of 33 million people. Kuala Lumpur has about 7 million people in the city and surrounding areas with about 120 cases today.

Sad to be leaving such a secure place tomorrow night.

Spent the night out with mates drinking. All social distanced, bar closed at 10, wearing masks when we leave. Gonna miss my freedom here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement