Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,677 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Week of St Patricks Day I am travelling wherever I want once there's a plane to take me there, they can stick their travel advice up their hole, anyone still contracting Covid at that stage outside healthcare/school is a wreckless idiot exposing themself to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Not sure, one group escaping War and desperate poverty and persecution... The other wants a few pints and a bit of sun?

Fair enough, but they HAD ALREADY escaped from their war situation and were in lovely Lebanon. So why the dire need to get them to Ireland at a time when the government are trying to stop people traveling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

So I am about 20 minutes from home after 10 months away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

When my family ( and my family abroad) and myself get access to the vaccine without doubt i’ll be hopping on a plane to visit my family abroad.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Fair enough, but they HAD ALREADY escaped from their war situation and were in lovely Lebanon. So why the dire need to get them to Ireland at a time when the government are trying to stop people traveling ?

Tbf, there is absolutely nothing stopping anyone travelling.

Also, permanent settling of refugees is probably deemed essential travel, they were probably living in camps in the Leb. Not quite living it up in 5 star accommodation enjoying the weather

• Advertisement

Witchie wrote: »

Welcome home Witchie!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Witchie wrote: »

Welcome home and beware of the curtain twitchers.

Enjoy your time home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

copeyhagen wrote: »
    folks came home from Spain on Wednesday after being in ther apartment in Benalmadena since the start of September.

tourist areas are dead. every irish bar they know of is closed indefinetely.
    the smaller Spanish areas are doing ok (none touristy).
    6pm curfew is fine, shops stayed open for essentials - they wouldnt sell alchohol after 6pm!
    restaurants were doing delivery only, no collections. they said theres mopeds flying around the place with deliveries at night time.

they would eat ot only once a week over there so didnt really affect them. in fairness if i was them i would have stayed there for Xmas..

Southern Spain isnt bad apart from Granada, theyre ****ing it for everyone. Madrid and Barcelona still bad apparently.

just a little insight into life there lately.

Restaurants + bars reopening in Barcelona from Monday ... let's see how that goes ....

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Was in Italy in August for a road trip with two friends. It was great.

I've two weeks booked in Berlin over new year's but I have a feeling the accommodation will have to cancel but doing whatever I can to get out of Sweden for a fortnight over New Year.

If Spain opens up, great!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

smurfjed wrote: »

Ok i'll bite... this is OT and thinly veiled "refugees out!"

There's nothing lovely about Lebanon..

Ireland made an agreement with the EU/UN to take a quota of refugees from war torn areas.

I won't reply again on the specific matter of whether refugees should come here or not.

• Advertisement

International travel. Ireland never restricted travel inward or outward. A contact tracing form for arrivals is the only legal requirement with an optional 'recommended' 14 days restricted movement.

Have to pick you up on that one....

While there was no legally enforceable ban on leaving/coming to the country, the 14 day quarantine requirement was a "De-Facto" travel ban.
    It meant anyone working in the Public and Civil services, semi-states etc. could not travel, also in many 100's of private companies from Retail to Pharma were insisting that employee's going on holidays also took an additional 2 weeks leave upon their return, therefore none travelled due to having to take all their annual leave for the sake of a week away.
    Also meant that many tourists received the message that Ireland was closed to tourism so many thousands didn't come here during the summer/autumn, no organised tours, no school student exchanges, nothing only some intrepid travellers..
    Not only that but the NPHET "social shaming" program led by Holohan and broadcast daily by RTE meant that anyone contemplating taking a holiday abroad was made to feel like a criminal and many didn't take any foreign trips for fear of being shamed by friends and family or forced to quarantine by their boss at work...

It was still legal. Nothing to stop any travellers.

And the country was full of English holiday makers.

bubblypop wrote: »
    It was still legal. Nothing to stop any travellers.
    And the country was full of English holiday makers.

You not read my post no?

How do you know they were English?

You not read my post no?

How do you know they were English?

Because they were driving English registered cars and camper vans.
    I did read your post?

Because they were driving English registered cars and camper vans.
    I did read your post?

have a look: https://www.platehunter.com/dvla-northern-ireland
    Northern Ireland Registration Plates
    Unlike reg plates in other parts of the UK, these Northern Ireland number plates always contain the letters ‘I’ or ‘Z’. These letters are only used on Irish plates, which is why you’ll rarely see them on cars in England, Scotland or Wales!

Similar to other British plates, Northern Ireland format registrations contain an area code to signify where the vehicle was registered. ‘AZ’ is to show Belfast; ‘NZ’ is the code for Londonderry and ‘KZ’ signals Antrim. These kinds of plate also only use the European Union symbol or GB country code for their badges

Why are you posting that?
    I know what an English registration is, I also know what an English accent is. And I saw plenty coming off ferries in Dublin, so not sure what your point is?

Have to pick you up on that one....

While there was no legally enforceable ban on leaving/coming to the country, the 14 day quarantine requirement was a "De-Facto" travel ban.
    It meant anyone working in the Public and Civil services, semi-states etc. could not travel, also in many 100's of private companies from Retail to Pharma were insisting that employee's going on holidays also took an additional 2 weeks leave upon their return, therefore none travelled due to having to take all their annual leave for the sake of a week away.
    Also meant that many tourists received the message that Ireland was closed to tourism so many thousands didn't come here during the summer/autumn, no organised tours, no school student exchanges, nothing only some intrepid travellers..
    Not only that but the NPHET "social shaming" program led by Holohan and broadcast daily by RTE meant that anyone contemplating taking a holiday abroad was made to feel like a criminal and many didn't take any foreign trips for fear of being shamed by friends and family or forced to quarantine by their boss at work...

What your company has in their terms of employment does not change the laws of the land. It was legal to travel and there was no legal requirement to isolate. Most companies either ignored it or had to pay the staff to work from home. I cant fight your battles for you in work I am afraid.

What shame you felt as a result of finger wagging did not constitue a legal limit. People wag their fingers at me, they get two fingers back.

And yes, I am aware of the public sector circular, currently with multiple unions I believe. if you felt it was wrong, complain to your union and have your name added to the list.

As for incoming tourists, I am sure there were people put off but I would say more were limited by their own nations restrictions and the fact that there was **** all open. Ireland with the pubs closed? No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Are there any antigen tests available here? It would appear the Canaries will insist on one regardless of a countries colour on ECDC.

I know what an English registration is, I also know what an English accent is. And I saw plenty coming off ferries in Dublin, so not sure what your point is?

Your inbox is full FYI, cant send you messages. In case you werent aware

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Are there any antigen tests available here? It would appear the Canaries will insist on one regardless of a countries colour on ECDC.

The traffic light system appears to be about as worthless as our list was :o

• Advertisement

I reckon the plan is to make themselves Green for Easter then drop that requirement.

But until it is lifted a test will be required both ways at around €220 per passenger.

In a way its worse, no tests were required this summer! Except for a few places that had free random testing on arrival.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,628 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

He states while not producing any proof.

Still waiting on an explanation as to what we have had that Spain hasnt. You mentioned sports. Is that now off the table considering that applies across the entire continent?

Again I shall ask, what have we had that Spain hasnt had and how if they entered lockdown first and constinues, have we had it longer?

Pubs in Dublin have been closed for 9+ months. No part of Spain has had the same. Spain has taken localised action for the most part whereas Ireland has taken a blanket approach.

You’re being a little selective with your evidence from Spain. Not all of Spain went back in to a second lockdown. Granted for the towns and cities that did, it was a strict lockdown but not as strict as lockdown 1.

Spain is a country of 50+m people with a far large area mass. It’s fair to say there are some liberties there not experienced in Ireland

Arguably curfew has had great effect nationwide with cases generally trending down in most regions.

Spain appears to be doing greater analysis than Ireland which is driving decisions, in the non political torn regions, and measures being applied. If there is a criticism is that some regions reacted too slow and played politics.

Unless you personally stood at the docks and listened to everyone’s accents and checked all car registrations then what you’ve stated is just your opinion and not fact.

And the fact is that tourism from outside the state has collapsed this year. I’m sure someone will Goggle those figures for you.

What your company has in their terms of employment does not change the laws of the land. It was legal to travel and there was no legal requirement to isolate. Most companies either ignored it or had to pay the staff to work from home. I cant fight your battles for you in work I am afraid.
    What shame you felt as a result of finger wagging did not constitue a legal limit. People wag their fingers at me, they get two fingers back.
    And yes, I am aware of the public sector circular, currently with multiple unions I believe. if you felt it was wrong, complain to your union and have your name added to the list.
    As for incoming tourists, I am sure there were people put off but I would say more were limited by their own nations restrictions and the fact that there was **** all open. Ireland with the pubs closed? No thanks

I guess the empty airplanes, the ghost town airports, all the taxi and coach buses standing idle, the ferry services dropping sailings and the only traffic rolling off them being trucks and vans doesn’t mean anything to those with there heads buried in the sand.

faceman wrote: »
    Pubs in Dublin have been closed for 9+ months. No part of Spain has had the same. Spain has taken localised action for the most part whereas Ireland has taken a blanket approach.

You’re being a little selective with your evidence from Spain. Not all of Spain went back in to a second lockdown. Granted for the towns and cities that did, it was a strict lockdown but not as strict as lockdown 1.

Spain is a country of 50+m people with a far large area mass. It’s fair to say there are some liberties there not experienced in Ireland

Arguably curfew has had great effect nationwide with cases generally trending down in most regions.

Spain appears to be doing greater analysis than Ireland which is driving decisions, in the non political torn regions, and measures being applied. If there is a criticism is that some regions reacted too slow and played politics.

Pubs in Dublin opened. I sat in many and watched football. Siderias in Asturias never reopened for sit in service without food, albeit rare that they dont serve food. Thats equal to Dublin pubs. Outside Dublin everything reopened.

You cant say A then B, Spain does things regionally, Ireland does not. You cant selective point to the low level areas of Spain compared to Ireland unless you likewise take the strict.

Its all ultimately the same thing though, if you point to Ireland as a whole, then look at Spain as a whole. Dublin only, then Madrid only and so on. Since March to November, if Ireland has not left lockdown, then neither has Spain as restrictions have remained in place in one form or another. Personally I wouldnt class either as a lockdown in the Summer. Wouldnt say any EU country remained in lockdown for the entire 9 months but thats just me.

I guess the empty airplanes, the ghost town airports, all the taxi and coach buses standing idle, the ferry services dropping sailings and the only traffic rolling off them being trucks and vans doesn’t mean anything to those with there heads buried in the sand.

Yeah but see the thing is, thats not true. There was never a complete stop on travel. All services carried passengers. Numbers were down because OTHER countries closed their borders and in general people battened down the hatches. Obviously someone from Slovakia had to cancel their flight when that country closed its borders. Obviouusly numbers were down when people cancelled holidays.

The simple reality whether you choose to accept or not (and the high court found it to be true) is that travel in and out was never stopped either legally or functionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Yeah but see the thing is, thats not true. There was never a complete stop on travel. All services carried passengers. Numbers were down because OTHER countries closed their borders and in general people battened down the hatches. Obviously someone from Slovakia had to cancel their flight when that country closed its borders. Obviouusly numbers were down when people cancelled holidays.

The simple reality whether you choose to accept or not (and the high court found it to be true) is that travel in and out was never stopped either legally or functionally.

Jeez but you really are like a dog with a bone!

I answered your last questions in full [wasting my time I'd say :rolleyes:] and swore not to interact with you again but reading the same entrenched stubbornness, despite reasonable posts from other posters has me posting about this again.

You can sing til the cows come home that travel was legal, it does not change the fact that more invidious ploys were used to keep the population of the island of Ireland within the island and hugely reduce the number of tourists. I'm in the public service, a teacher. I can't travel until next summer unless I'm prepared to take two weeks unpaid leave which would go down like a lead balloon with my principal and the students in my exam classes, not to mention the disapproval of my colleagues. I'm no shrinking violet but that's enough to keep me grounded until next June. And there are thousands like me. And you bet I've kicked up a fuss with my union but to avail A good friend in a tourist town who spent years building up a successful tour and excursion business has seen that business fold. Why? No market? Why? No tourists. Why? Ya go on and have a good guess!!

So frankly I am sick of you stubbornly proclaiming that our travel restrictions haven't been severe and just because you managed to sit in a pub in Dublin or wherever you said doesn't change the fact that Irish pubs nationwide were closed an average of 8 months and many will never again open their doors!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Given that a lot of the Covid now circulating in Ireland has been linked to a Spanish strain, we have paid a high price for the lack of proper enforcement of the 14 day isolation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Given that a lot of the Covid now circulating in Ireland has been linked to a Spanish strain, we have paid a high price for the lack of proper enforcement of the 14 day isolation.

:D:D This line is thrown in here every few days for good measure. What garbage. Doesn't matter what strain it is, the infection was in the country and will start spreading no matter what its origin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement