Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I wonder will the European Airlines bring that in for travel within the EU ?

I'd imagine so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Qantas CEO has confirmed vaccination mandatory before getting on one of their planes - but hey, it's just a conspiracy ...

To be expected I would have thought.

No different than going to some countries in Africa or Asia and needing certain vaccinations to get into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

To be expected I would have thought.

No different than going to some countries in Africa or Asia and needing certain vaccinations to get into the country.

Absolutely, the difference is those vaccines are decades old and 100% proven safe.

These new covid vaccines are a few months old, no one knows what the long term effects are.

How does this sound, after some time (even with these vaccines - yes im aware of the irony of hoping lots of vulnerable people take it ) this covid should not be an issue, i am talking years down the line .

Wouldn't it make sense to let a tourist into Australia by solely taking a test or not even, if you are symptom free ? - I'm talking about when this has calmed down.

This won;t happen though, once this rule is in place it will be carved in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

I'd imagine so ...

In reality, it will likely be that proof of vaccination is required in order to obtain a visa for entry into Australia as a non citizen. Many airlines already verify that a travelling passenger has a valid visa before boarding in the departure airport (as they may be liable for return transport costs if not). As this is not the case for intraeuropean travel as an EU citizen, I think it is unlikely to be made a rule, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Ireland has been added to Spain's Safe List (at least mainland Spain) from November 30th for at lest 2 weeks.

https://www.mscbs.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/spth.htm

So from at least 30th November-13th December you don't need a PCR test to enter the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Golfman64 wrote: »
    In reality, it will likely be that proof of vaccination is required in order to obtain a visa for entry into Australia as a non citizen. Many airlines already verify that a travelling passenger has a valid visa before boarding in the departure airport (as they may be liable for return transport costs if not). As this is not the case for intraeuropean travel as an EU citizen, I think it is unlikely to be made a rule, to be honest.

It was discussed at an EU level earlier in the year, it was deemed at the time to go against eu treaty
    of some sort couple of European nations were pondering the possibility idea but it gained little support.
    I definitely see Australia and New Zealand requiring one ,most Asian country's possibly America's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ZX7R wrote: »
    It was discussed at an EU level earlier in the year, it was deemed at the time to go against eu treaty
    of some sort couple of European nations were pondering the possibility idea but it gained little support.
    I definitely see Australia and New Zealand requiring one ,most Asian country's possibly America's

We need not worry, while the EU won't require citizens to have the Vaccines(s) you can be guaranteed that either your employer, airline or health insurer will demand you have it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    We need not worry, while the EU won't require citizens to have the Vaccines(s) you can be guaranteed that either your employer, airline or health insurer will demand you have it...

Probably...
    I have a feeling Ryanair won't require one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Probably...

They'll offer one at discount in the "Extras" section of the Ryanair app when you're booking...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

Probably...

It'll be extremely dodgy ground for any employer too, imagine if one did actually go wrong!
    Think it'll either be an 'encouraged' option or the government will have to act (very doubtful).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Qantas CEO has confirmed vaccination mandatory before getting on one of their planes - but hey, it's just a conspiracy ...

No different to people getting clear Covid tests prior to travelling. My daughter flew to Bahrain last week and condition with Etihad was that she had a clear covid test prior to flying. When she landed 12 hours later she had another covid test in the airport and got her results 90 minutes later.

If she failed, tracker and confined to hotel for 10 days I think she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

I think ye're all being a bit pessimistic. The airlines will be hugely eager to get people back flying, tourist spots around Europe will be desperate to recoup some of the losses of 2020. So I can't really see major obstacles in place in the medium term and I'd imagine there will be bargains to be had. Longer term is a bit of a crystal ball, it really does depend on the trajectory of the virus, vaccines and all of that. Things may settle down or change beyond recognition, who knows!

I'm wondering about next Easter already. The school holidays actually start on 26th March and with talk of cutting the restriction of movements down to five days if you get a test I wonder if the 2021 season might start then and if the flights from Cork and Shannon might resume then. I certainly hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

acequion wrote: »
    I think ye're all being a bit pessimistic. The airlines will be hugely eager to get people back flying, tourist spots around Europe will be desperate to recoup some of the losses of 2020. So I can't really see major obstacles in place in the medium term and I'd imagine there will be bargains to be had. Longer term is a bit of a crystal ball, it really does depend on the trajectory of the virus, vaccines and all of that. Things may settle down or change beyond recognition, who knows!

I'm wondering about next Easter already. The school holidays actually start on 26th March and with talk of cutting the restriction of movements down to five days if you get a test I wonder if the 2021 season might start then and if the flights from Cork and Shannon might resume then. I certainly hope so.

I think that schools should be closed in January and Feb and then run all the way though the summer with a few days break before the new school year.

Jeez but you really are like a dog with a bone!

I answered your last questions in full [wasting my time I'd say :rolleyes:] and swore not to interact with you again but reading the same entrenched stubbornness, despite reasonable posts from other posters has me posting about this again.

You can sing til the cows come home that travel was legal, it does not change the fact that more invidious ploys were used to keep the population of the island of Ireland within the island and hugely reduce the number of tourists. I'm in the public service, a teacher. I can't travel until next summer unless I'm prepared to take two weeks unpaid leave which would go down like a lead balloon with my principal and the students in my exam classes, not to mention the disapproval of my colleagues. I'm no shrinking violet but that's enough to keep me grounded until next June. And there are thousands like me. And you bet I've kicked up a fuss with my union but to avail A good friend in a tourist town who spent years building up a successful tour and excursion business has seen that business fold. Why? No market? Why? No tourists. Why? Ya go on and have a good guess!!

So frankly I am sick of you stubbornly proclaiming that our travel restrictions haven't been severe and just because you managed to sit in a pub in Dublin or wherever you said doesn't change the fact that Irish pubs nationwide were closed an average of 8 months and many will never again open their doors!

You aren't supposed to travel outside of school holidays. I'm public sector too fyi as is bubble

Simple reality, simple facts.

Pubs in Dublin opened

You could go to Dublin airport and get on a plane out and a plane back in legally

You could freely ignore the recommendation to isolate.

That's all facts. That's all reality. Your own job, your own shame doesn't change it. Peer pressure is not the law.

You cannot hold it against the Irish government that other nations closed their borders or flights were grounded.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,628 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

fisgon wrote: »
    I can speak a little about the contrast between Spain and Ireland, as I know Spain well, follow the news there and was there for July this year.

Their first lockdown was much harsher than ours, but then it needed to be as their case numbers were enormous. Since June, though, their efforts at imposing restrictions have been piecemeal - the virus was out of control in Madrid and all they did at one stage was tell bars that they had to shut at 1am.

A dance school I know in Madrid is still open, legally, and has been since June, offering partner dancing. When I was there most bars were open, with little social distancing. Another Facebook page I follow posted photos a couple of months ago of an event they had in Malaga in a bar, with lots of people with their arms around each other, hugging, in close contact. No-one condemned them in the comments, or even commented on people jammed together in a bar in the midst of a pandemic.

The virus levels in Madrid at one stage were close to 800 per 100,000 per 14 days, and yet the local government were doing everything they could not to put in any more citywide measures. The central government had to step in. We closed down at 300.

So, for good or ill, the pandemic has been taken much more seriously in general in Ireland than in Spain - after the first lockdown. But then there are many more low paid workers in Spain, a lot of people on the breadline, probably less financial support from the government.

And one thing is for sure, the virus and death rates tell this tale - Spain's death rate is 900 per million, ours is 408, and they now have 400 people a day dying from Covid, and have had 1.5 million infections.

Greetings from Comunidad Valenciana! I think what you are saying may be broadly applicable to Madrid, but not necessarily to the rest of the country. Side by side, Spain has faired far worse than Ireland without question. However you cant compare both side by side.

There is no doubt that the primary reason Madrid and Catalonia went to hell in wave 2 was political. The presidents, from opposing parties to the PM, did not want to take necessary action so left it on the PM to make the hard decisions. This is scandalous and those party leaders should be arrested by how open they were in their ignorance.

However in regions where there is no major political differences between the PM and presidents, and its a different story. My region, was the best performing region on mainland Spain throughout wave 2. Comunidad Valenciana is comparable with Ireland in terms of population and while side by side cases were higher on the summary level than Ireland, the reality is once you leave Valencia out of the figure, you get a different picture.

As you know, Spain is very transparent with the publication of health data, sources of transmission and locations. Data is accessible down to health district. Not all health districts followed the same trend, and not all towns and cities did either. Its unfair to compare both countries side by side.

For the areas that didnt play politics, its unfair to say that Spain didnt take wave 2 more seriously. Mask wearing, staying within your municipality, bar/restaurant closing times, and curfew were rigorously enforced. Best of luck trying to get passed the armed police on the AP7 for a trip to Ikea in Murcia from my town. However in Ireland, even during lockdown I was able to travel between counties with no issue.

Generally speaking I found mask wearing cooperation to be far higher in Spain than Ireland. Granted I was not in Valencia city or Madrid this year - perhaps things are a little different there.

Looking at my regions President, Puig, the government scrutinised the data and made hard decisions at local level where cases spiked. This was something Ireland was not willing to do after the botched attempt in Kildare, Offaly etc.

Its no secret that Spain wanted to avoid home confinement 2.0 purely on economic terms but certainly for Comunidad Valenciana, cases are trending downward without the need for a full lockdown or home confinement order.

Spain definitely caused a lot of unnecessary public disorder by not providing adequate supports for businesses and the unemployed both in monetary terms and in terms of speediness of response.

Personally I think curfew is what made the difference. Again something MM ruled out for Ireland some time ago.

Spain outclassed Ireland when it came to handling schools and the education sector. They should be applauded for that.

faceman wrote: »
    Greetings from Comunidad Valenciana! I think what you are saying may be broadly applicable to Madrid, but not necessarily to the rest of the country. Side by side, Spain has faired far worse than Ireland without question. However you cant compare both side by side.

There is no doubt that the primary reason Madrid and Catalonia went to hell in wave 2 was political. The presidents, from opposing parties to the PM, did not want to take necessary action so left it on the PM to make the hard decisions. This is scandalous and those party leaders should be arrested by how open they were in their ignorance.

However in regions where there is no major political differences between the PM and presidents, and its a different story. My region, was the best performing region on mainland Spain throughout wave 2. Comunidad Valenciana is comparable with Ireland in terms of population and while side by side cases were higher on the summary level than Ireland, the reality is once you leave Valencia out of the figure, you get a different picture.

As you know, Spain is very transparent with the publication of health data, sources of transmission and locations. Data is accessible down to health district. Not all health districts followed the same trend, and not all towns and cities did either. Its unfair to compare both countries side by side.

For the areas that didnt play politics, its unfair to say that Spain didnt take wave 2 more seriously. Mask wearing, staying within your municipality, bar/restaurant closing times, and curfew were rigorously enforced. Best of luck trying to get passed the armed police on the AP7 for a trip to Ikea in Murcia from my town. However in Ireland, even during lockdown I was able to travel between counties with no issue.

Generally speaking I found mask wearing cooperation to be far higher in Spain than Ireland. Granted I was not in Valencia city or Madrid this year - perhaps things are a little different there.

Looking at my regions President, Puig, the government scrutinised the data and made hard decisions at local level where cases spiked. This was something Ireland was not willing to do after the botched attempt in Kildare, Offaly etc.

Its no secret that Spain wanted to avoid home confinement 2.0 purely on economic terms but certainly for Comunidad Valenciana, cases are trending downward without the need for a full lockdown or home confinement order.

Spain definitely caused a lot of unnecessary public disorder by not providing adequate supports for businesses and the unemployed both in monetary terms and in terms of speediness of response.

Personally I think curfew is what made the difference. Again something MM ruled out for Ireland some time ago.

Spain outclassed Ireland when it came to handling schools and the education sector. They should be applauded for that.

And yet you claim that Ireland had a stricter lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

You aren't supposed to travel outside of school holidays. I'm public sector too fyi as is bubble

Pubs in Dublin opened

You could go to Dublin airport and get on a plane out and a plane back in legally

That's all facts. That's all reality. Your own job, your own shame doesn't change it. Peer pressure is not the law.

You cannot hold it against the Irish government that other nations closed their borders or flights were grounded.

And for what it’s worth, I know two separate workers in the health sector who went to Greece on their holidays in August / September. They both asked for what part of their contract would they be breaching and got silence. So off they went and had no issues and a great time by all accounts.

I think that schools should be closed in January and Feb and then run all the way though the summer with a few days break before the new school year.

Your point being what exactly?

And how is it relevant to a travel thread?

Pubs in Dublin opened

I'm putting you on ignore. If someone says black you'll say white. You're either on a wind up or completely intransigent. Zero comprehension of another point of view and complete tunnel vision. It's gets very boring after a while.

So go bore somebody else.:rolleyes:

faceman wrote: »

What did they do differently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55048438

International air travellers will in future need to prove they have been vaccinated against Covid-19 in order to board Qantas flights, the airline says....

"I think that's going to be a common thing talking to my colleagues in other airlines around the globe," he said.

Wow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

AL have cancelled or 'amended' 3 flights on me at this stage. One amendement was from a Friday to a Sunday at 6.30am. No offer of the difference in price so i took a full refund and have booked with ryanair.

Im losing an easyjet connection as a result but ah well, thats the risk i took

I have seen, but not become involved in, your recent outbursts against foreign travel, and while I respect anybody's right to an opinion, it's hard to take seriously someone who posted the above in this very thread (#3610).

Ordinarily I wouldn't bother looking back for these things but I was pretty certain you had been singing a very different tune not too long ago. Funny that....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Your point being what exactly?

And how is it relevant to a travel thread?

Flights will be cheaper in the summer if kids are in school. Simples and selfish.

I have seen, but not become involved in, your recent outbursts against foreign travel, and while I respect anybody's right to an opinion, it's hard to take seriously someone who posted the above in this very thread (#3610).

Ordinarily I wouldn't bother looking back for these things but I was pretty certain you had been singing a very different tune not too long ago. Funny that....

Yes indeed, this is the issue here. People cant seem to seperate an airline cancelling a flight and a government passing a law prohibiting travel.

You see, one is a business decision, another is a government enacting a legal limit.

So, please explain to me how the fact that I could book multiple flights and have them cancelled by the companies involved translates into 'its illegal to travel because of government restrictions'? The very fact that I could get on the plane proved the goverment never stopped travel

Folks cant seperate issues is the key here. Im not claiming Ireland was a picnic nor do I claim my travel wasnt limited. My simple, very simple undeniable claim was the Irish government never legally restricted travel. This isnt an opinion, its a fact as stated by the high court and quoted in this thread I think. If not, here it is: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-loses-high-court-action-over-ireland-s-travel-advice-1.4370292

Why people cant compehend that Spain legally restricting arrivals and airlines cancelling flights due to low numbers are seperate issues to the lack of Irish legal restrictions is beyond me.

I'm putting you on ignore. If someone says black you'll say white. You're either on a wind up or completely intransigent. Zero comprehension of another point of view and complete tunnel vision. It's gets very boring after a while.

So go bore somebody else.:rolleyes:

What exactly was incorrect in my post? Was it not all 100% accurate?

Probably...

Ryanair only appear to care if the country of destination cares. The sad part os the delight some staff take in stopping passengers from travelling.

bikeman1 wrote: »
    And for what it’s worth, I know two separate workers in the health sector who went to Greece on their holidays in August / September. They both asked for what part of their contract would they be breaching and got silence. So off they went and had no issues and a great time by all accounts.

Naturally. Its the public secto HRM departments that are pushing the 14 days. Unions are busy at the moment though like everyone else so it wont get resolved until covid itself is resolved probable

SB71 wrote: »
    not really,done it a few times, granted it takes a few hours longer but the cost is much cheaper than getting a test, bus from the airport to Europa and jump on a coach to Dublin which takes 2 hours so not that long really just watch a film or a box set you dont feel the time going, works out much cheaper than forking out €150+ for a test.

But why bother? Just go into Dublin and dont have a test.

Flights will be cheaper in the summer if kids are in school. Simples and selfish.

Ya well I hate to break it to you but ain't gonna happen!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,628 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

And yet you claim that Ireland had a stricter lockdown.

Huh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement