Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,628 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

acequion wrote: »
    What did they do differently?

Massive push for the hiring of teachers. In the Comunidad Valenciana region, they hired over 4,000 extra teachers which enable average classroom sizes to be reduced to the low teens from the 20s.

Also students sat their equivalent of the Leaving Cert, with only a 3 week delay. Test centres were massive with social distancing practiced throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

What did they do differently?

Keep windows open (not a great option in Ireland), kids wear masks in classrooms (terrible I know) - not young kids though - they just when they arrive and leave.

plenty of space between desks, teacher wearing masks, give handgel to all kids in the morning when I drop them off ... take their temperature ... seperate the kids into groups - classes don't mix.

I feel a bit depressed seeing my kids in masks, but they are adaptable and seems to be working, schools are not a cluster point in Spain.

Hopefully over the next few months masks will be relaxed, I think Spain are gonna have a good chunk of old/vulnerables vaccinificated by April.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

they were also back in school straight after their severe lockdown in April. September for us, and even still people are calling for blood with the schools open. people with no kids obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

TomSweeney wrote: »

hope they go belly up

copeyhagen wrote: »
    they were also back in school straight after their severe lockdown in April. September for us, and even still people are calling for blood with the schools open. people with no kids obviously.

In Spain ?
    My kids were out of school mid march and didn't go back till September (Barcelona)

Apart from a summer camp in July - but outdoors , so minimal risk..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Why? They're dead right and I hope every airline follows suit. Why should any country run the risk of importing the virus into their country when there's a solution i.e. a vaccine. If you don't want to have it then fine that's your decision but then you will be denied something like boarding a plane. This type of restriction exists already-some countries won't admit you if you haven't had certain types of vaccines. Even if airlines and government s don't make it compulsory I'd imagine it'll be very difficult to get travel insurance if you haven't had the vaccine and if you choose not to then there'll be an extra charge added to your premium.
    TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    hope they go belly up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,628 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Keep windows open (not a great option in Ireland), kids wear masks in classrooms (terrible I know) - not young kids though - they just when they arrive and leave.

plenty of space between desks, teacher wearing masks, give handgel to all kids in the morning when I drop them off ... take their temperature ... seperate the kids into groups - classes don't mix.

I feel a bit depressed seeing my kids in masks, but they are adaptable and seems to be working, schools are not a cluster point in Spain.

Hopefully over the next few months masks will be relaxed, I think Spain are gonna have a good chunk of old/vulnerables vaccinificated by April.

Sanchez said he expects to have most of the population vaccinated by end of March

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Flights will be cheaper in the summer if kids are in school. Simples and selfish.

This is so true. I'll be booking my summer flights in the middle of the third wave, probably around mid March.

johnire wrote: »
    Why? They're dead right and I hope every airline follows suit. Why should any country run the risk of importing the virus into their country when there's a solution i.e. a vaccine. If you don't want to have it then fine that's your decision but then you will be denied something like boarding a plane. This type of restriction exists already-some countries won't admit you if you haven't had certain types of vaccines. Even if airlines and government s don't make it compulsory I'd imagine it'll be very difficult to get travel insurance if you haven't had the vaccine and if you choose not to then there'll be an extra charge added to your premium.

Because other airlines will take their business. This is nothing short of a suicidal business decision. If Aer Lingus did this, MOL would be rubbing his hands. There is no way budget airlines like Ryanair would implement this. Those that did would fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Tazz T wrote: »
    Because other airlines will take their business. This is nothing short of a suicidal business decision. If Aer Lingus did this, MOL would be rubbing his hands. There is no way budget airlines like Ryanair would implement this. Those that did would fail.

Why do the airlines have to do it? The country you are travelling to can put it into law.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Why do the airlines have to do it? The country you are travelling to can put it into law.

Countries 'can' but until they do (and countries that rely on tourism will be very hesitant to do so), airlines that jump the gun will see their market share mauled by the competition.

/I see Qantas share price has taken a battering since making this announcement so I'm not the only one thinking this is poor business decision/

johnire wrote: »

In theory this sounds good, but at the end of the day this is a new vaccine and people will be hesitant.

It's not like this is ebola, it's at worst twice as bad as flu ... there has been a huge overreaction to this, the fact that RTE presenters that were fearmongering and pointing the finger at people breaking the restrictions - yet then broke them themselves - show they didn't believe their own preachings.

mad world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

In Spain ?
    My kids were out of school mid march and didn't go back till September (Barcelona)

Apart from a summer camp in July - but outdoors , so minimal risk..

yep, Andalucia school kids were back. i know Barcelona and Madrid were worse hit so maybe thats why ye werent.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

So, please explain to me how the fact that I could book multiple flights and have them cancelled by the companies involved translates into 'its illegal to travel because of government restrictions'? The very fact that I could get on the plane proved the goverment never stopped travel

Do you actually read anything anyone else says or do you just automatically fly into a rage whenever anyone shows any signs of disagreeing with the gospel according to Niner leprauchan? Where did I even say what you quote above? All I pointed out is that you seem to change your opinions an awful lot. I really don't get your continuously angry attitude. Tbh you're all over the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

More bad news for Leo as 30% of Irish abroad intend to return for Christmas.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1123/1179935-30-of-irish-living-abroad-plan-to-return-for-christmas/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

More bad news for Leo as 30% of Irish abroad intend to return for Christmas.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1123/1179935-30-of-irish-living-abroad-plan-to-return-for-christmas/

Great to see, i urge everyone to come home for Christmas. very safe to fly anyone saying otherwise is deluded.

SB71 wrote: »
    Great to see, i urge everyone to come home for Christmas. very safe to fly anyone saying otherwise is deluded.

Im really thinking about it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

In theory this sounds good, but at the end of the day this is a new vaccine and people will be hesitant.

It's not like this is ebola, it's at worst twice as bad as flu ... there has been a huge overreaction to this, the fact that RTE presenters that were fearmongering and pointing the finger at people breaking the restrictions - yet then broke them themselves - show they didn't believe their own preachings.

mad world.

No, it's not like this is Ebola.

It's a virus many times more contagious than Ebola, which has killed many, many times more people.

I genuinely cannot understand the logic of people like you. Some mental gymnastics going on, to give an example of an extremely localised, not very contagious illness which killed a total of 11,000 people as something we should be scared of, and to completely downplay a virus which has killed almost one and a half million people and counting. Not to mention all those it has left with long covid and health complications.

Like, what is even going on in your brain when you write this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

mad world.

Absolutely agree with you over RTE, 100% scaremongering along with Matt Cooper on the last word

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Tazz T wrote: »
    Countries 'can' but until they do (and countries that rely on tourism will be very hesitant to do so), airlines that jump the gun will see their market share mauled by the competition.

/I see Qantas share price has taken a battering since making this announcement so I'm not the only one thinking this is poor business decision/

Read on a different platform that the reason Qantas airlines issued a vaccination requirement was due to the agreement with the Australian government on there bailout.
    I can't find anything on line to back it up though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Well done to Ryanair for stating today they will not require vaccines in the future when travelling with them.

Qantas = RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

RobitTV wrote: »
    Well done to Ryanair for stating today they will not require vaccines in the future when travelling with them.

Qantas = RIP

Ryanair would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did this and they know it, seems that the Qantas situation is a bit of an outlier and they will probably have to backtrack on this particular demand,
    The Aussies seem to be on a bit of a crusade when it comes to covid 19, they have adapted quite a draconian way of dealing with things over there, the Australian PM recently said they would be making the vaccine mandatory for everybody, only to reverse his statement less than 24 hours later

I don't fly so this may be a stupid question but just how many flights from Europe to Australia so Ryanair make?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Ryanair would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did this and they know it, seems that the Qantas situation is a bit of an outlier and they will probably have to backtrack on this particular demand,
    The Aussies seem to be on a bit of a crusade when it comes to covid 19, they have adapted quite a draconian way of dealing with things over there, the Australian PM recently said they would be making the vaccine mandatory for everybody, only to reverse his statement less than 24 hours later

I read somewhere that Australia is one of the worst nanny states in the world. Now that could be wrong, lest somebody come back and attack me.:eek: But it does seem as if they're mad about all sorts of rules and regulations, a bit like ourselves. A great country, I was there many years ago, but while I'd like their climate, I wouldn't fancy living in another nanny state! So if that's the case it's not surprising that they're a bit over zealous about Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I don't fly so this may be a stupid question but just how many flights from Europe to Australia so Ryanair make?

None, Ryanair operate in Europe predominantly, fly to Morocco and Jordan too.

None, Ryanair operate in Europe predominantly, fly to Morocco and Jordan too.

So safe to say nothing they do going to affect Quantas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

RobitTV wrote: »

Qantas = RIP

Won’t happen, the bulk of Qantas is domestic for a start. Other airlines that operate to Australia will have to follow as it will probably be a requirement for every passenger to have a vaccination certificate to land otherwise the airline will face a fine similar to passengers not having a valid visas.

In the bigger picture this won’t be a problem for those airlines, the vaccine requires 70-80% of the worlds population to be vaccinated to get back to pre-covid normality so 70-80% of potential passengers will probably meet the requirement anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I read somewhere that Australia is one of the worst nanny states in the world. Now that could be wrong, lest somebody come back and attack me.:eek: But it does seem as if they're mad about all sorts of rules and regulations, a bit like ourselves. A great country, I was there many years ago, but while I'd like their climate, I wouldn't fancy living in another nanny state! So if that's the case it's not surprising that they're a bit over zealous about Covid.

Would you rather be in the UK, where over 55,000 people have died of covid, thousands more been left very sick, AND the economy is in ruins?

I'd take the 'nanny state', thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Australia is strict about rules, it’s more black or white than various shades of Grey. This might p!ss off the rule breakers but in general it protects the rights of majority of people who do the right thing... that’s how it’s supposed to work.

The majority of Australia with the exception of Melbourne have been living a fairly normal life since end of May, even last week South Australia went into six three day lockdown and the CMO said it was necessary to go hard and early otherwise they could end up like Europe...the public bought into it because they currently view Europe like the vomit covered pub toilet that no one wants to go into.

It might appear that Australia is over zealous but they just looking around the world and decided that normal life is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Would you rather be in the UK, where over 55,000 people have died of covid, thousands more been left very sick, AND the economy is in ruins?

I'd take the 'nanny state', thanks.

Hey no need for the aggressive tone!

I was simply making an observation, not even Covid related. You're obviously unhappy about how Covid has been handled in the UK. I didn't even mention the UK. As this is an Irish site, I'd be coming from an Irish perspective.

But do be careful what you wish for. I'd be far more fearful for the loss of my liberties at the moment, especially my freedom to travel, than I would be of Covid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement