Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Would you rather be in the UK, where over 55,000 people have died of with covid

I fixed that for you.

The UK authorities don't provide figures of those who have died of Covid, only those who died and had tested positive for Covid.

Also 55,000 people out of a population of circa 66 million is nothing. I won't even get into the average age of these people... Or excess deaths...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd be surprised if intra EU will require a vaccination. Might actually infringe on freedom of movement so not sure any airline will go with it. Travelling outside EU might be a different story though. Wouldn't surprise me if lots of countries demand a vaccination for this. I'd be thinking backpacking type countries in Asia/South America/Africa etc could all insist on it along with Australia and New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Some countries require proof of vaccine for other things already so it won't be a stretch for it to be an entry requirement. If I was flying for more than an hour I'd prefer to know that people on the flight were vaccinated....

Minier81 wrote: »
    Some countries require proof of vaccine for other things already so it won't be a stretch for it to be an entry requirement. If I was flying for more than an hour I'd prefer to know that people on the flight were vaccinated....

Why? Surely you would be vaccinated, so it won't matter a dam if the rest of the flight are or are not.

FrStone wrote: »
    Why? Surely you would be vaccinated, so it won't matter a dam if the rest of the flight are or are not.

Well if its 90-95% effective then there is a chance you could catch it despite your own vaccination status.
    I was making the point that I would feel safer in response to posters saying Qantas would lose custom over this. I don't think they will, some people would prefer the policy.

• Advertisement

Minier81 wrote: »
    Well if its 90-95% effective then there is a chance you could catch it despite your own vaccination status.
    I was making the point that I would feel safer in response to posters saying Qantas would lose custom over this. I don't think they will, some people would prefer the policy.

Fair enough. At those odds I imagine the likelihood of you catching the virus on the airplane and dieing from it are similar to you dieing as a result of the airplane crashing or failing etc.

FrStone wrote: »
    Fair enough. At those odds I imagine the likelihood of you catching the virus on the airplane and dieing from it are similar to you dieing as a result of the airplane crashing or failing etc.

They should put that on an ad, increase confidence in flying :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

So safe to say nothing they do going to affect Quantas?

Yes but should Aer Lingus go down the mandatory vaccination route...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

No, it's not like this is Ebola.

It's a virus many times more contagious than Ebola, which has killed many, many times more people.

I genuinely cannot understand the logic of people like you. Some mental gymnastics going on, to give an example of an extremely localised, not very contagious illness which killed a total of 11,000 people as something we should be scared of, and to completely downplay a virus which has killed almost one and a half million people and counting. Not to mention all those it has left with long covid and health complications.

Like, what is even going on in your brain when you write this stuff?

You are a victim to the scaremongering , look at the numbers of overall infections v deaths and you'll see an IFR of ~ 0.2% ... flu is around 0.1%, so we have something thats twice as deadly as flu - to older vulnerable people mainly.

Using just numbers is disingenous, you have to have the bigger perspective here...

what goes on in my head ? - really ??
    What goes on in your head ?? !! - were you at least 50% as terrified and cautious as you are now during a regular flu season ?
    My guess is not, RTE and all media weren't constantly blaring out FEAR FEAR FEAR!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Bit of advice needed. We need to travel from Dublin to mayo (about 2 1/2 hours) to pick up our new dog mid next week. Do people think this is a valid reason to go should Garda stop us at a checkpoint or should we be ringing them in advance to confirm?

• Advertisement

Cina wrote: »
    Bit of advice needed. We need to travel from Dublin to mayo (about 2 1/2 hours) to pick up our new dog mid next week. Do people think this is a valid reason to go should Garda stop us at a checkpoint or should we be ringing them in advance to confirm?

Unless you can call the actual Garda thats going to stop you, thats a waste of a phonecall as there is no set in stone definitive list of acceptable reasons.

Can it genuinely wait? why do you need to collect the dog then and not after lockdown? Im not being nosy but the answer dictates if its essential or not.

(You could also simple lie but thats not in the spirit of the restrictions)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Unless you can call the actual Garda thats going to stop you, thats a waste of a phonecall as there is no set in stone definitive list of acceptable reasons.

Can it genuinely wait? why do you need to collect the dog then and not after lockdown? Im not being nosy but the answer dictates if its essential or not.

(You could also simple lie but thats not in the spirit of the restrictions)
    Well we have waited as long as we can, which is after the exit of level five. He will be nearly twelve weeks old by next week and the breeder wants us to take him then. it's far from ideal but it's essential to us as we've been waiting on a dog from this breeder for nearly a year :)

Will just have to risk it and bring the crate and such, we won't be going inside their house anyway and will be socially distanced, with masks, outside so I don't see it as much of a risk.

Cina wrote: »
    Well we have waited as long as we can, which is after the exit of level five. He will be nearly twelve weeks old by next week and the breeder wants us to take him then. it's far from ideal but it's essential to us as we've been waiting on a dog from this breeder for nearly a year :)

I would see that journey as semi essential anyway. Tell the gardai you have to collect the dog, have a full tank of fuel leaving home and don't make an unnecessary stops. Meet the breeders outdoors and maintain distance. I am not a dog person but I'm sure dog owners would consider this essential, as a dog is part of the family. Agree no point in phoning, it'll depend on the garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

There was a radio report a while back from a checkpoint & someone was driving to collect a pup was turned around something like 10km from his destination after a couple of hours drive so if it were me I'd be visiting an elderly relative that needs assistance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

In March we were told 100000 would die. Just over 2000 have died. This means the virus is 98% less deadly. About 5m people live in the ROI which means about 0.03% of people have died.
    Unless forced to I don't wear a mask socially distance or obey or comply with any other restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

In March we were told 100000 would die. Just over 2000 have died. This means the virus is 98% less deadly. About 5m people live in the ROI which means about 0.03% of people have died.
    Unless forced to I don't wear a mask socially distance or obey or comply with any other restrictions.

Did you try and engage your brain a bit to think that reason the deaths didn't reach does numbers was because the majority did think of others and not just themselves and followed the guidelines?

ztoical wrote: »
    Did you try and engage your brain a bit to think that reason the deaths didn't reach does numbers was because the majority did think of others and not just themselves and followed the guidelines?

With respect my brain is engaged.

Beaches beauty spots public parks streets shops and supermarkets pubs serving food restaurants public transport were packed for months from at least the week the 5km distance restriction was lifted all the way through the summer until the restrictions started to be reintroduced. I saw ZERO social distancing among groups of people of all ages. I continue to travel and see ZERO compliance.

Every day we have at most a handful of deaths other days one or two and other none.

We were told that by mid April even with restrictions it was already too late for tens of thousands and we would experience triple digit deaths a day. That did not happen.We were told there might be mass graves and bodies would have be incinerated. End times stuff.

It didn't happen.

Instead we are tens of billions in debt thousands and thousands are unemployed business ruined and shutting down for good and a wave of homelessness looming.Those who wear masks distance and rub sanitizer can do so in the wind and rain next winter in their tents with medals from NPHET no doubt..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Fair play to you for your honesty and fair play to you for coming on boards.ie with your honesty. While you'll find many who will agree with you, the hysterical, who must keep the hysteria going at all costs, will descend on you like vultures.

Now I don't necessarily agree with your last bit but I respect you for it. I would have a certain low level fear of the virus and living near my 90 year old mother I really don't want to catch it, so am happy to comply with reasonable restrictions like mask wearing, sanitising and distancing.

I completely agree with everything else you say. The dangers of this virus have been exaggerated to ludicrous levels and many formerly reasonable people have turned into utter lunatics. And they get even more wildly hysterical when the rest of us insist on staying sane.:rolleyes:

acequion wrote: »
    Fair play to you for your honesty and fair play to you for coming on boards.ie with your honesty. While you'll find many who will agree with you, the hysterical, who must keep the hysteria going at all costs, will descend on you like vultures.

Now I don't necessarily agree with your last bit but I respect you for it. I would have a certain low level fear of the virus and living near my 90 year old mother I really don't want to catch it, so am happy to comply with reasonable restrictions like mask wearing, sanitising and distancing.

I completely agree with everything else you say. The dangers of this virus have been exaggerated to ludicrous levels and many formerly reasonable people have turned into utter lunatics. And they get even more wildly hysterical when the rest of us insist on staying sane.:rolleyes:

I have encountered bus drivers who weren't wearing masks who screamed at me for sitting in yellow labelled seats with my mask under my nose and mouth when sitting upstairs with nobody else on the bus. I was in the Phoenix Park with my date eating a picnic when a guy started shouting at us to socially distance.
    I was in an empty Starbucks with some friends when we sat down at an empty table to drink our coffees. A staff member shouted at us to leave or the Gardaí would be called.
    This year has been beyond insane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I have encountered bus drivers who weren't wearing masks who screamed at me for sitting in yellow labelled seats with my mask under my nose and mouth when sitting upstairs with nobody else on the bus. I was in the Phoenix Park with my date eating a picnic when a guy started shouting at us to socially distance.
    I was in an empty Starbucks with some friends when we sat down at an empty table to drink our coffees. A staff member shouted at us to leave or the Gardaí would be called.
    This year has been beyond insane.

You're such a martyr, they'll write poetry and songs about you.

"The Brave Man who sat in Starbucks and defied the rules"
    By Jimmy Corr

Oh the brave young man was dying for a tea,
    But the Starbucks man said he'd call the Gardaí
    And the brave young man said "Its my civil liberty!"
    And thats the covid con-spir-acy

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Flights booked to see family in UK in December,no problems at all, ive flew about 15 times since March, it's actually a lot less hassle and stress, no big queues in the airport, no one on top of each other boarding or disembarking the plane,everyone wearing masks, air filtration...but you'll always get prophets of doom and scaremongering merchants still saying travel is dangerous...change the bleedin record ffs,it's embarrasing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

SB71 wrote: »
    Flights booked to see family in UK in December,no problems at all, ive flew about 15 times since March, it's actually a lot less hassle and stress, no big queues in the airport, no one on top of each other boarding or disembarking the plane,everyone wearing masks, air filtration...but you'll always get prophets of doom and scaremongering merchants still saying travel is dangerous...change the bleedin record ffs,it's embarrasing at this stage.

If you wear the FFP-2 nothing will happen to you, those masks are incredible. I'd say the majority of people that get infected travelling are wearing the mask equivalent of a bra around your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AnFearEile

Hi all,
    Has anyone travelled to Spain since Monday 23.10.2020 ?
    An FCS form and negative PCR test performed in the previous 72 hours since arrival is now required.
    How have your experiences of this been and how did you go about doing it ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

If you wear the FFP-2 nothing will happen to you, those masks are incredible. I'd say the majority of people that get infected travelling are wearing the mask equivalent of a bra around your head.

totally agree on the FFP-2 masks.
    I used them on my last trip home and found them much more comfortable - once you adjust it correctly over nose and mouth it sits very well and I find breathing much easier than the basic ones.

On the travel front, I booked my Christmas visit home (Greece).
    Because I plan to go 2 weeks before Christmas, I had very few options to choose from and no direct flights. I thought prices were a bit higher which I put down to lack of options. Hopefully I won't have any last minute flight cancellation - though I selected KLM which are normally good in rebooking you
    Greece at the moment has a mandatory PCR test required, so I also booked one 2 days before my trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Ferry over to the UK in a couple of weeks, flown and ferried in the last six months with no issues, followed the guidelines and did what was needed to be done regarding PPE etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

i wear a standard resuable mask, you've as much chance winning the lotto than catching the virus on a plane with air fiiltration and everyone wearing a mask.

But Dr misery and friends will say differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

SB71 wrote: »
    i wear a standard resuable mask, you've as much chance winning the lotto than catching the virus on a plane with air fiiltration and everyone wearing a mask.
    But Dr misery and friends will say differently.

Exactly! All my flights this year I've worn the disposable surgical mask from the time I entered the airport...

I haven't had so much as a cold... or won the lotto... though I hope the latter happens soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

AnFearEile wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Has anyone travelled to Spain since Monday 23.10.2020 ?
    An FCS form and negative PCR test performed in the previous 72 hours since arrival is now required.
    How have your experiences of this been and how did you go about doing it ?

Thanks.

I posted this on the travel thread. But from 30th November you won’t be required to do this if coming from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

You are a victim to the scaremongering , look at the numbers of overall infections v deaths and you'll see an IFR of ~ 0.2% ... flu is around 0.1%, so we have something thats twice as deadly as flu - to older vulnerable people mainly.

Using just numbers is disingenous, you have to have the bigger perspective here...

what goes on in my head ? - really ??
    What goes on in your head ?? !! - were you at least 50% as terrified and cautious as you are now during a regular flu season ?
    My guess is not, RTE and all media weren't constantly blaring out FEAR FEAR FEAR!!!

I'm not a victim to any scaremongering. I'm based in London and know someone working on one of the vaccines, as well as several people who have had covid and been extremely ill.

It's simply ridiculous for someone to mention Ebola, which was really not that contagious and ultimately killed relatively few people, and then dismiss Covid as a bit of a cold. Yes, it's not very dangerous for the majority of people and that's precisely what makes it so dangerous for the unlucky minority.

It's not just elderly people who would have died soon anyway, a lot of young people have been left with serious health issues. A friend of mine got it in March and still isn't right. She was 34 and in perfect health and she now struggles to climb a few stairs and needs about 14 hours of sleep every night. Does that sound fun to you?

You are deluded. I understand it's probably some sort of weird coping mechanism, but it is delusion. There's a reason the entire world sh1t themselves over this novel virus - it is NOT like the flu. At all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

We,ve Ryanair flights booked to Lithuania on December 22nd for Christmas with the inlaws. By the looks of it when picking seats the flight is about 50% booked already. No problems flying or getting a test done before. Meant to be going to Spain in January for a week but nothing booked yet but if the price of a test is more significant in price then the flight we,ll be having 2nd thoughts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement