Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

johnire wrote: »
    How do you know I'm a flight shamer?
    My post was nothing to do with the rights or wrongs of flying during a worldwide pandemic.
    I was merely asking the question that if people appear to be so desperately unhappy living in this country then surely it's time to seriously consider moving to that place wherever it may be that they like so much more than here?
    By your remarks you obviously have.

Talk about melodrama!! This is not the first time you've posted such a remark and the first time I decided to let it go.

Just because people love to travel, appreciate the things that are better in other countries, perhaps have loved ones in other countries that they miss sorely, does not in any way mean that they hate Ireland or that they're "desperately unhappy" here as you so melodramatically put it. And for you to keep implying that they are and worse, intimating that they should maybe bugger off to these countries is both presumptuous and offensive! If you did that to a non national you'd be accused of racism and rightly so.:mad:

I'm Irish born and bred and there are many things that I love about my home country. But one of the things I love most is being European and up until now being able to divide my time between Ireland and other parts of Europe, especially Spain where I have loved ones. It has given me the best of both worlds. But I also happen to hate the Irish climate and always loved spending my summers away. Whether I'll cut my ties with Ireland on retirement remains to be seen but most likely not as I do have close ties here and I'd probably miss the place.

All of us are more than entitled to criticise Ireland just as we are entitled to criticise other places. It should not make us less welcome or be made to feel less at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Oooooh ..... touchy.
    acequion wrote: »
    Talk about melodrama!! This is not the first time you've posted such a remark and the first time I decided to let it go.

Just because people love to travel, appreciate the things that are better in other countries, perhaps have loved ones in other countries that they miss sorely, does not in any way mean that they hate Ireland or that they're "desperately unhappy" here as you so melodramatically put it. And for you to keep implying that they are and worse, intimating that they should maybe bugger off to these countries is both presumptuous and offensive! If you did that to a non national you'd be accused of racism and rightly so.:mad:

I'm Irish born and bred and there are many things that I love about my home country. But one of the things I love most is being European and up until now being able to divide my time between Ireland and other parts of Europe, especially Spain where I have loved ones. It has given me the best of both worlds. But I also happen to hate the Irish climate and always loved spending my summers away. Whether I'll cut my ties with Ireland on retirement remains to be seen but most likely not as I do have close ties here and I'd probably miss the place.

All of us are more than entitled to criticise Ireland just as we are entitled to criticise other places. It should not make us less welcome or be made to feel less at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I don't blame anybody who goes on holiday or returns home for Christmas. I have been isolated away from people for months, I have been feeling very lonely at times as most of my friends are now living abroad, having babies or in relationships. This lockdown has made things 100x worse as now I can't even go to the pub for a drink or even just for some food and a chat. (I know the pubs are open now, but it's not the same at all) they have literally sucked the joy out of everything.

I am planning to go to Lanzarote in the new year and I will have zero regrets about travelling. Over in Lanzarote you can experience much more normality than here in doomsday Ireland. These past few months have made my life more miserable than ever. It's hard not being able to meet people or try to get a relationship going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I see Tony is overruling the ECDC on travel now.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dr-tony-holohan-ecdc-5291755-Dec2020/

Is this guy for real? he is saying that the rest of Europe is wrong, and he is right as always...

So what he is saying is don't listen to experts. Got it. :pac::pac:

This guys ego is mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

RobitTV wrote: »
    Is this guy for real? he is saying that the rest of Europe is wrong, and he is right as always...

So what he is saying is don't listen to experts. Got it. :pac::pac:

This guys ego is mental.

Remember last week he was saying it's important not to put the blame on specific people.

Now this week he is essentially blaming air travellers and people crowding in the city (himself included as he was here to see the crowds)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

I see Tony is overruling the ECDC on travel now.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dr-tony-holohan-ecdc-5291755-Dec2020/

He is a law unto himself, he actually had the audacity to go against what the Euroopean centre for disease control say,:eek: he is a dangerous man who is not be trusted or listened to under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

So the European Centre for Disease Control who have panels of experts on their teams whose job it is is to keep advise on how to keep Europe’s disease levels down are wrong?

And this is coming from someone who walks around town and says it seems busy, looked in a car park and presumed everyone was back at the office and has a worry o meter which has him worried because people are not worried enough?

This guy knows no bounds when it comes to aviation.

bikeman1 wrote: »
    So the European Centre for Disease Control who have panels of experts on their teams whose job it is is to keep advise on how to keep Europe’s disease levels down are wrong?

As this is coming from someone who walks around town and says it seems busy, looked in a car park and presumed everyone was back at the office and has a worry o meter which has him worried because people are not worried enough?

he is a dangerous man who holds a senior position, it beggars belief he has the audacity to actualy come out with this

SB71 wrote: »
    he is a dangerous man who holds a senior position, it beggars belief he has the audacity to actualy come out with this

With Holohan coming out with this, and his incessant ‘I am concerned’ chat, along with our broadcasters giving completely disproportionate airtime to ‘zero Covid’ merchants, it’s no wonder that so many of us have just stopped listening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

bikeman1 wrote: »

As this is coming from someone who walks around town and says it seems busy, looked in a car park and presumed everyone was back at the office and has a worry o meter which has him worried because people are not worried enough?

Tony believes his Worry'o'meter is more scientific than anything the ECDC come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I heard a report about Ryanair buying new planes a few days ago, and it said that the purchase was significant considering their passenger numbers were down so much this year due to CV19.

It said they carried 35million instead of 175million.

I was shocked they still carried 35million, in a year when really only 2.5 months were unaffected by the pandemic. Appears there were still plenty of flights during the March - November period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

NIMAN wrote: »
    I heard a report about Ryanair buying new planes a few days ago, and it said that the purchase was significant considering their passenger numbers were down so much this year due to CV19.

It said they carried 35million instead of 175million.

I was shocked they still carried 35million, in a year when really only 2.5 months were unaffected by the pandemic. Appears there were still plenty of flights during the March - November period.

Still an 80% drop if my math's are correct
    That's a hell of a drop
    I don't know if Ryanair do internal flights anywhere in Europe but that could be a part of the total
    DAA said flights were at 10% of last years levels at some point in the pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Appreciate its a massive drop in figures, but 35 million people travelling in a year when you really shouldn't have been travelling unless it was absolutely necessary is still high....minus the whatever they carried in the first 10 weeks of the year of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Appreciate its a massive drop in figures, but 35 million people travelling in a year when you really shouldn't have been travelling unless it was absolutely necessary is still high....minus the whatever they carried in the first 10 weeks of the year of course.

If you consider though that 2.5 of the 12 months was business as usual, it would mean that 1/5 of 175 million is around of 35 million - let's say 25-30 million since it isn't the busiest period of the year. So the numbers went down for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

May I ask why you say “...when you really shouldn’t have been travelling unless was absolutely necessary...” ?

Europe was open for travel from mid June to the end of September and also for the first 10 weeks of the year.

It has only been Ireland who had the most restrictive “advice” in Europe when it comes to travel. After Tony’s comments this evening it comes as no surprise. Thankfully I ignored this advice and visited Italy, Croatia and France this summer and had a great time in nice weather and safe surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

With control freak Holohan coming out with that bullshyt this evening and given his sycophantic fan club among the virtue signallers, the fanatics, the closed minded to travel, the hypochrondriacs and the zero covid, close the borders brigade, I would really worry that air travel will continue to be stigmatised and victimised for the forseeable. Which would be unbearable, both financially for avaition and tourism and in terms of our connectivity to the wider world.

That man should be ran out of that job! As others are saying he's plain dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Booked a city break in London for the end of May . Hopefully things be back to normality by then

Hoping to book somewhere in Spain of the Canaries next month to escape grim January weather it'll probably be even colder

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Was thinking of Dubai or even somewhere like Cancun in Jan but it seems the restrictions on arriving and testing etc will just make it a hassle. Seems I'll have to wait it out until later on in the year for one of these.
    Not sure if Gran Canaria have an easier approach, will take a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

All these self proclaimed travel enthusiasts in this thread and all they are deseprate to do is head to the Canaries or some other banal dross kip, populated by travelling dreary individuals of an ilk. Bon voyage.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Well I'm not sure if I'm desperate to get to the Canaries, just looking for an easy warm break in Jan...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

Well I'm not sure if I'm desperate to get to the Canaries, just looking for an easy warm break in Jan...

Just back from a week there, 25 degree heat the big attraction. Not much life but still a few around.

doogie! wrote: »
    Just back from a week there, 25 degree heat the big attraction. Not much life but still a few around.

what was the craic mate did you have to show them a positive test at the airport?

Sam Hain wrote: »
    All these self proclaimed travel enthusiasts in this thread and all they are deseprate to do is head to the Canaries or some other banal dross kip, populated by travelling dreary individuals of an ilk. Bon voyage.

well you enjoy the freezing cold and wet while we enjoy the sun :p

Heading to Lanzarote in mid January for a week. Sometimes I feel like extending it for two weeks, the amount of lockdown misery and freezing cold misery in January in Ireland is going to brutal.

No doubt we will have the usual hysteria in January, preparing us for a lockdown. Holohan on the airwaves warning us about the future.

Lanzarote is around 20-22° in January. Had a look at the historical weather records and that seems to be the average. During the night it can be around 16-18° which is still fairly mild for people coming from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

what was the craic mate did you have to show them a positive test at the airport?

No it wasn't compulsory when we were there, very easy getting through in fairness, i think the gov are fighting for just allowing the antigen test as opposed to PCR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Hoping to book somewhere in Spain of the Canaries next month to escape grim January weather it'll probably be even colder

We had booked a hotel in Gran Canaria for last EASTER
    Covid hit and we changed to Christmas (I stupidly paid upfront for Easter as it was a great deal )
    Canceled that and got a voucher to say we have a week anytime until DEC 21
    However got an e-mail today to say our hotel is not open and we are being switched to a sister hotel
    Mistake soon clarified
    Point being there will not be a lot open in the Canaries for the next few months ,so be mindful of this when booking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

You surely meant a negative test?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

acequion wrote: »
    With control freak Holohan coming out with that bullshyt this evening and given his sycophantic fan club among the virtue signallers, the fanatics, the closed minded to travel, the hypochrondriacs and the zero covid, close the borders brigade, I would really worry that air travel will continue to be stigmatised and victimised for the forseeable. Which would be unbearable, both financially for avaition and tourism and in terms of our connectivity to the wider world.

That man should be ran out of that job! As others are saying he's plain dangerous.

This is hysterical (and I don't mean hilarious).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement