Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Holohan is mad. That is undisputed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Threw caution to the wind this evening and myself and the gf booked a holiday to Lanzarote for 20th December to 28th.

I factored in risk in this decision and we both live in our own places and wfh therefore can keep social contacts low upon return and I certainly will be restricting movements as I need to study for exams anyway.

We are really looking forward to some sun and relaxation. I myself have worked from home since March and as I do contracting work didn't bother taking any holidays and just ploughed on as there was fook all else to be at.

I expect another wave of lockdown from mid January after Christmas so just going for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Sam Hain wrote: »
    All these self proclaimed travel enthusiasts in this thread and all they are deseprate to do is head to the Canaries or some other banal dross kip, populated by travelling dreary individuals of an ilk. Bon voyage.

haha the absolute snobbery of this post.

"only peasants go to the Canaries"

haha, this year brought out the best in people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

copeyhagen wrote: »

unreal isnt it, i actually cringed when i seen this post.

there can be no doubt that this poxy virus has brought out the absolute worst in people in every regard.

• Advertisement

IrishHomer wrote: »
    You surely meant a negative test?:)

errr yes jaysus a typo :pac:::o:o:D

Holohan is mad. That is undisputed.

I'm not really one who hates on someone and especially for no good reason, but ill make an exceptioon for Holohan, a patholigical liar who has to be on some power trip.

doogie! wrote: »
    No it wasn't compulsory when we were there, very easy getting through in fairness, i think the gov are fighting for just allowing the antigen test as opposed to PCR

thanks for that im gonna definitely try and get over even if its for 4/5 days just to get the fcuk out of here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Sam Hain wrote: »
    All these self proclaimed travel enthusiasts in this thread and all they are deseprate to do is head to the Canaries or some other banal dross kip, populated by travelling dreary individuals of an ilk. Bon voyage.

I'm going to the Canaries and very much excited about it at the end of a very difficult year. Last year I was in banal dross kips such as Brazil for December, Australia at the start of the year, Vietnam for a couple of weeks and Berlin.

Anyway I guess I'm dreary so. Live and let live and you will be all the happier for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

Going to Canaries in the morning for a week. Will prob head to Spain or Portugal in January for a weekend.

Life is for living

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Nermal

Difficult to get insurance that would give one confidence outside the EU in the face of the travel advisory. If someone knows different, say so!

Going to Canaries in the morning for a week. Will prob head to Spain or Portugal in January for a weekend.

Life is for living

Deadly,enjoy mate and let us know how how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Nermal wrote: »
    Difficult to get insurance that would give one confidence outside the EU in the face of the travel advisory. If someone knows different, say so!

didnt the canaries offer anyone flying in all expenses medically taken care of if you caught it while there?

have had holiday insurance probably once in my life. have been away twice this year, once pre covid, once in august, normally get away about 3 times on family holidays a year. maybe we have always just been lucky?

chances of catching covid is so low that i wouldnt be worrying about it while anywhere.

only reason were not going somewhere now is kids and school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

The Baleric islands are always quiet at this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

fisgon wrote: »
    This is hysterical (and I don't mean hilarious).

It's Holohan and his ilk that are hysterical. Hysteria has been the name of the game in this country since march. So I love your reverse psychology. :rolleyes:

didnt the canaries offer anyone flying in all expenses medically taken care of if you caught it while there?

have had holiday insurance probably once in my life. have been away twice this year, once pre covid, once in august, normally get away about 3 times on family holidays a year. maybe we have always just been lucky?

chances of catching covid is so low that i wouldnt be worrying about it while anywhere.

EHIC will cover as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Is someone from another EU country able to visit and stay in hotels in Ireland over Christmas? or what's the story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Is someone from another EU country able to visit and stay in hotels in Ireland over Christmas? or what's the story
    Provided the hotel is open, no problems. Just fill out your passenger locator form on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I think a lot of hotels are even offering inclusive insurance as part of their bookings now.
    I booked a hotel in Berlin for next summer and it includes Covid insurance to cover medical expenses up to €30,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Life is for living

The Canaries and Iberian peninsula better lock up their daughters, theres a wild one incoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Couple of points.

Ref Randox: Had someone go there yesterday at 4pm and they had the email with travel certificate at 5am this morning. Excellent service and value

Mainland Spain's 'green list' has been updated to cover 14th -27th December and Ireland is on it for the duration. No need to bring a test if travelling from here during that period (we are already on it until 13th so this is just an extension).

https://www.mscbs.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/spth.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Hi,

Thinking of heading off to Gran Canaria (I know, what a peasant) for 4-6 weeks end of January. I'd like to WFH for a few weeks of that. All I need would be good internet, I can bring my own laptop.

Anyone any experience of long(ish) lettings in Las Palmas or similar?
    I'll need a 2-bedroom apartment
    Maybe a car?

If anyone could share advice, experiences, I'd be grateful

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Hi,

Thinking of heading off to Gran Canaria (I know, what a peasant) for 4-6 weeks end of January. I'd like to WFH for a few weeks of that. All I need would be good internet, I can bring my own laptop.

Anyone any experience of long(ish) lettings in Las Palmas or similar?
    I'll need a 2-bedroom apartment
    Maybe a car?

If anyone could share advice, experiences, I'd be grateful

Thanks

To be honest I would say you will have your pick of places
    You would like to WFH or you have to WFH :D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Any other place people going besides Spain, Tenerife etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Does anyone know are civil servants still expected to take two weeks annual leave to self isolate if they leave Ireland for essential reasons?

This was the rule up to recently anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moycullen14

brisan wrote: »
    To be honest I would say you will have your pick of places
    You would like to WFH or you have to WFH :D

I'd like to be able to work. Choice is a holiday for a fortnight or extend it and work for the remainder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-12-10/spain-changes-coronavirus-test-requirements-for-air-travelers-exempts-children-under-six.html

a "cheaper" test, "only" €100 compared to > €100 .... bye bye tourism...

At this stage, just give me the f*cking vaccine.

Problem is I think you will need to test even if you are vaccinated.

It's been a long time since i've been actually scared of the virus, it's all about the new nonsense regulations being introduced that will last forever now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1211/1183771-lufthansas-bookings/

The Germans have their bags packed, the sunbed war begins, think you'll see similar from UK & IRE assuming all goes well with vaccine rollout

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Candamir wrote: »
    The metric Germany uses is less than 50 per 100,000 in the past 7 days.

German list has been updated and no changes for Ireland,
    Are you sure about that metric?

Dublin has been under 50/100,000/7 days for the past 2-3 weeks now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Norway's limit is 25/100k ... seems crazy benchmark.

Is it possible to get below that at this stage, even with vaccines ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement