Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Norway's limit is 25/100k ... seems crazy benchmark.

Is it possible to get below that at this stage, even with vaccines ?

You can travel to Germany without restrictions from most of Munster and Connaught and parts of Leinster.
    Can't understand which metric those areas meet which Dublin doesn't.
    All are under 50/100k/7days but none under 25/100k/14days as far as I can see....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

You can travel to Germany without restrictions from most of Munster and Connaught and parts of Leinster.
    Can't understand which metric those areas meet which Dublin doesn't.
    All are under 50/100k/7days but none under 25/100k/14days as far as I can see....

I honestly think getting below this won't be possible, countries will need to review their requirments.

But with the amount of panic and hysteria over this I can't see it changing, even in a post vaccine world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I honestly think getting below this won't be possible, countries will need to review their requirments.

But with the amount of panic and hysteria over this I can't see it changing, even in a post vaccine world.

Agree, doubt we will ever see a green rating apart from maybe one or two smaller countries.

Once the vulnerable are vaccinated I can see travel restrictions being lifted alongside local restrictions - cases may actually climb but the vulnerable will be safe and hospitals /ICU won’t be under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Agree, doubt we will ever see a green rating apart from maybe one or two smaller countries.

Once the vulnerable are vaccinated I can see travel restrictions being lifted alongside local restrictions - cases may actually climb but the vulnerable will be safe and hospitals /ICU won’t be under pressure.

That would be logical and I hope it turns out so, unfortunately bureaucracy is months/years behind reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Does anyone know are civil servants still expected to take two weeks annual leave to self isolate if they leave Ireland for essential reasons?

This was the rule up to recently anyway

While I haven't heard of any change in that utterly preposterous rule I am assuming that this new thing about getting a pcr after 5 days will apply. Therefore you come back, self isolate for 5 days, do a pcr and if the result is negative you can go back to work. Does anyone know if that's the case? And while still not ideal, it's a lot better than the 14 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I work for a private hospital & we got a letter last week, saying if we travel abroad we need to book 2 weeks leave for after we get back. We have to inform our manager if we are going abroad too. Sounds the exact same as what public employees are saying.

The letter said this is the same as the advice given earlier in the year, which I didn’t actually get. This one makes reference to green countries & says we still need to isolate after travelling to them.

I can understand them being cautious as they don’t want an outbreak. But this was for all staff, even those that are in off site offices or work from home. Can’t answer the question but wouldn’t be surprised if that advice for public service was still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I work for a public hospital and got a similar letter. As the government advice is still no non essential travel etc etc. Not planning on going anywhere luckily!

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    I work for a private hospital & we got a letter last week, saying if we travel abroad we need to book 2 weeks leave for after we get back. We have to inform our manager if we are going abroad too. Sounds the exact same as what public employees are saying.

The letter said this is the same as the advice given earlier in the year, which I didn’t actually get. This one makes reference to green countries & says we still need to isolate after travelling to them.

I can understand them being cautious as they don’t want an outbreak. But this was for all staff, even those that are in off site offices or work from home. Can’t answer the question but wouldn’t be surprised if that advice for public service was still in place.

Do you have to tell them where you are going on holiday? Make some kind of statement? Not saying that anyone should lie if asked to make some formal attestation, but why would you volunteer information about your private life?

Do you have to tell them where you are going on holiday? Make some kind of statement? Not saying that anyone should lie if asked to make some formal attestation, but why would you volunteer information about your private life?

100% agree. It is totally unacceptable to impose such restrictions on employees on a long term basis, especially if there is now leeway to get a PCR after 5 days. You really would wonder how such a decree would stand up in court.

Nobody wants to have to go around lying but will people really continue to be honest and cooperate if this draconian condition prevails!

acequion wrote: »
    100% agree. It is totally unacceptable to impose such restrictions on employees on a long term basis, especially if there is now leeway to get a PCR after 5 days. You really would wonder how such a decree would stand up in court.

Nobody wants to have to go around lying but will people really continue to be honest and cooperate if this draconian condition prevails!

Yeah - just say “I am spending my annual leave privately in accordance with any restrictions in my contract”.

• Advertisement

Ya that’s what the letter says.
    I don’t know if it’s up to managers to ask the question or for employees to volunteer the information. I haven’t talked to anyone about it, don’t know how it works in practice. Don’t know of any colleagues that went abroad.

I did go to Tenerife in the summer & didn’t tell anyone. I wasn’t aware of this advice at the time and nobody asked me what I was doing. I’m WFH so don’t really chat much with others.

It’s probably safer in the Canaries than Dublin. I also went up to Northern Ireland for a few days which seems to be ok. It’s only if you go foreign there’s a problem. The advice doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Ya that’s what the letter says.
    I don’t know if it’s up to managers to ask the question or for employees to volunteer the information. I haven’t talked to anyone about it, don’t know how it works in practice. Don’t know of any colleagues that went abroad.

I did go to Tenerife in the summer & didn’t tell anyone. I wasn’t aware of this advice at the time and nobody asked me what I was doing. I’m WFH so don’t really chat much with others.

It’s probably safer in the Canaries than Dublin. I also went up to Northern Ireland for a few days which seems to be ok. It’s only if you go foreign there’s a problem. The advice doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

especially when schools such as the one in Claremorris is being forced to open against the wishes of management on Monday despite a one in ten infection rate. If the same thing happened on a plane, there'd be uproar.

...I don’t know if it’s up to managers to ask the question or for employees to volunteer the information...

Actually just thinking about it. They say you have to book 2 weeks extra leave & make sure being off for 3 or 4 weeks is ok with your manager. So ya when booking time off they expect you to be up front, not book just 1 week, then wait to be asked where you’re going before booking 2 more weeks.

It doesn’t say anything in the letter but you’d hope they’d be flexible with people who could WFH on their return & if people test negative, allow them back early. Being a hospital, they could test employees in-house if they wanted.

We don't really hear about people in that situation travelling, very possibly because they're keeping quiet about it. As I said already it's too much to expect long term good will and compliance. Teachers, and I'm one, can bypass it and do our travelling in summer and that's very unfair to other civil servants who don't have that luxury. But last summer when I was in Spain I met a lady who works in the CS. But she happened to have a reasonable boss and while I don't remember the details, the boss was flexible about getting around the problem.

I would say there are plenty of people travelling or intending to travel next year but are either keeping it quiet or finding ways round it. The negative PCR after 5 days should be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Anyone travel within Ireland recently and stay in a hotel. Travelling for work during the week and want to stay over, surely hotels won't turn people away?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

tbayers wrote: »
    Anyone travel within Ireland recently and stay in a hotel. Travelling for work during the week and want to stay over, surely hotels won't turn people away?

What? Hotels are open

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

tbayers wrote: »

Stayed in clare last weekend no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Yup people need to work and this sometimes involves travel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Because by deliberately putting yourself in a position where you require isolation then you are making yourself unavailable for work?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

My partner flew into Dublin last weekend from a European capital, had tested twice before he flew as I’ve recently had some health news that puts me at a higher risk. Got the HSE text that he was close contact, turns out there was a positive case on the flight. He came back negative but there’s certainly no way to negate the risk and bad luck of being seated within two rows of a positive.

Just grateful to be healthy and be able to spend Christmas together after being apart most of the year but a reminder that the virus is still out there. I’d become a little blasé myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Can anyone please clarify if travellers from Ireland to UK need to isolate or not for 10 days when they arrive.
    it pops up when I google that inbound to UK from Ireland don't need to, but then I can't find the details when I go into the UK DoH information.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Can anyone please clarify if travellers from Ireland to UK need to isolate or not for 10 days when they arrive.
    it pops up when I google that inbound to UK from Ireland don't need to, but then I can't find the details when I go into the UK DoH information.
    Thanks.

I'm travelling tomorrow by ferry and don't intend to isolate. Will double check now but don't think you need to?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Thanks.

Somewhere within the 500 odd pages of this thread, this has been answered over a hundred times. There is a search function both here and on google.

I searched, that's why I asked.
    I googled too, but it would appear in the google screen but then it wouldn't appear in the body of the article.
    Such a rabbit's warren.

I searched, that's why I asked.
    I googled too, but it would appear in the google screen but then it wouldn't appear in the body of the article.
    Such a rabbit's warren.

The answer is if coming to Ireland from anywhere apart from green zones, you need to restrict your movements. The UK is deemed red so the requirement is to fill in a locator form and the guidance is to restrict your movements for 14 days. This can be reduced by getting a test after 5 days at your own expense, you can stop when you get the negative result.

Hi, Van.bosch
    I mean going from Ireland to England.
    Last time I checked, during the summer there was no need to quarantine going to England from Ireland.
    I am checking to see that nothing has changed. thank you

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    The answer is if coming to Ireland from anywhere apart from green zones, you need to restrict your movements. The UK is deemed red so the requirement is to fill in a locator form and the guidance is to restrict your movements for 14 days. This can be reduced by getting a test after 5 days at your own expense, you can stop when you get the negative result.

wrong

wrong

wrong

Its a recommendation. No legal requirement has ever been stated nor does it exist

Hi, Van.bosch
    I mean going from Ireland to England.
    Last time I checked, during the summer there was no need to quarantine going to England from Ireland.
    I am checking to see that nothing has changed. thank you

There has never been a requirement, ever.

Never existed. Multiple posts here by dozens of users have pointed this out.

As for searching, its the very first result in google:

"Most people travelling to Ireland from abroad are asked to restrict their movements for 14 days on arrival."

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/returning_to_ireland/returning_to_Ireland_and_covid.html#:~:text=Most%20people%20travelling%20to%20Ireland,situations%20as%20much%20as%20possible.

Why you would trust random people online more than government sites, is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

There has never been a requirement, ever.

Never existed. Multiple posts here by dozens of users have pointed this out.

As for searching, its the very first result in google:

"Most people travelling to Ireland from abroad are asked to restrict their movements for 14 days on arrival."

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/returning_to_ireland/returning_to_Ireland_and_covid.html#:~:text=Most%20people%20travelling%20to%20Ireland,situations%20as%20much%20as%20possible.

Why you would trust random people online more than government sites, is beyond me.

But that wasn't the question.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Any recommendations for a few days away in January? Preferably with ad much open as poy.
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement