Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

But that wasn't the question.

That makes no difference. Some people just want an opportunity to be awkward. :rolleyes:

Thankfully there will always be some sound people on boards.ie who don't mind answering people's questions and don't get cranky just because they've been asked already.

acequion wrote: »
    That makes no difference. Some people just want an opportunity to be awkward. :rolleyes:

Thankfully there will always be some sound people on boards.ie who don't mind answering people's questions and don't get cranky just because they've been asked already.

And yet neither of you did actually answer the question and you made nor attempt to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I continued to search. There are no changes. This may be of interest to people coming home from UK for Christmas and returning after.
    There is no need to self isolate when coming INTO England from Ireland or The Channel Isles or the isle of Man, or anywhere on the travel corridors. list.https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/self-isolating-when-you-arrive.

Any recommendations for a few days away in January? Preferably with ad much open as poy.
    Thanks

that means 'as much open as possible'?

Just look at the offers that the airlines have at the moment but sadly, if the fare is cheap and uptake not great, expect it to be cancelled. Ryanairs sales arent worth dog doo when they are cancelling the flights constantly.

They had Malaga for example at 9.99 each way but then cancelled the flights and its 100+ on the remaining ones now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

wrong

wrong

wrong

Its a recommendation. No legal requirement has ever been stated nor does it exist

If you read the rest you’d see I clearly said the requirement is to fill in the form and guidance was to restrict your movements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I've a relative in Valencia so i just checked the case number for the last 14 days:

Wtf?

Is this a typo? It's just one region of Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

We are traveling on Saturday next (19th), tests booked for Friday morning with V1 Medical. Has anyone here used them? We need the test to enter Italy and our local region before it closes on the 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I've a relative in Valencia so i just checked the case number for the last 14 days:

Wtf?

Spain is sitting on the 4th lowest incidence rate in Europe right now.

That's a typo, it's 1460 according to a local paper

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2020/12/12/covid-19-new-cases-show-marginal-week-to-week-increase-in-spains-valencian-community/

Spain is sitting on the 4th lowest incidence rate in Europe right now.

That's a typo, it's 1460 according to a local paper

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2020/12/12/covid-19-new-cases-show-marginal-week-to-week-increase-in-spains-valencian-community/

Google Maps Covid tracker says it's right

https://news.google.com/covid19/map?hl=en-IE&mid=%2Fm%2F05vxc9&gl=IE&ceid=IE%3Aen

New cases (14 days)
    _m_05vxc9.svg
    29 Nov–12 Dec: +14,638

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Wtf?

The official figures are here....
    https://diariosanitario.com/casos-coronavirus-espana/

Scroll down till you get to the table with all the figures, it breaks down case numbers region by region.

The Valencia region is C.Valenciana.
    The 14 day number is 10,021. (Casos diagnosticados en los úlitimos 14 dias)

• Advertisement

fisgon wrote: »

Scroll down till you get to the table with all the figures, it breaks down case numbers region by region.

Actually you're right, but ti's not as bad as it might sound
    Their incidence rate is 200/100k/14days (lower than Donegal for example).

Their population is over 5 million

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    If you read the rest you’d see I clearly said the requirement is to fill in the form and guidance was to restrict your movements.

Nope, this is exactly what you said;
    Van.Bosch wrote: »
    The answer is if coming to Ireland from anywhere apart from green zones, you need to restrict your movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Do you have to tell them where you are going on holiday? Make some kind of statement? Not saying that anyone should lie if asked to make some formal attestation, but why would you volunteer information about your private life?

Standard procedure in a few few places including my own

fisgon wrote: »

Surely Google has more upto date and trustworthy data?

https://news.google.com/covid19/map?hl=en-IE&mid=%2Fm%2F05vxc9&gl=IE&ceid=IE%3Aen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I’m going to Dubai late February - does anyone know if a Covid test will be mandatory to fly ??

Surely Google has more upto date and trustworthy data?

Its the new cases in 14 days, not 1 day. Around about Donegal levels

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

johnire wrote: »
    Me too..... I absolutely adore travel but hand on heart if I loathed living in this country as much as others appear to do so then what job would be worth being that miserable?
    Move to the country you love so much -people do it all the time. Get the same type of job, have a career change, maybe take a hit on your salary.... so what??.... being happy is more important.

That would require a small amount of perseverance and stepping outside their comfort zone. Moving to a new country on your own is a challenge I’ve done it. Much easier to moan on the internet.

Its the new cases in 14 days, not 1 day. Around about Donegal levels

So Valencia is in a jocker then?

Because Donegal isn't doing great at all

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I’m going to Dubai late February - does anyone know if a Covid test will be mandatory to fly ??

You're about 10 weeks away from traveling there so I'd wait at least 2 months and see what the rules are then

The regulations now could be/likely will be completely different by mid Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭talulon

So...just came back from Canaries (Lanzarote). There's literally 0 risk to get COVID there since place is empty. Negative test needed to checkin hotel and straight to the bars.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

You're about 10 weeks away from traveling there so I'd wait at least 2 months and see what the rules are then

The regulations now could be/likely will be completely different by mid Feb

True, am just panicking!!!

Gervais08 wrote: »
    True, am just panicking!!!

You'll be grand and you'll get in either way

It's just a question if a test will be needed or not before you leave. Your best bet is to ask the live chat on the website of the airline you booked with

They'll have the most upto date information

Valencia has about the same rates as the rest of Spain (actually a bit lower on checking) and Spain has the 4th lowest rates in the EU.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

So is it in 'a jocker' compared to say Leitrim or Kerry? Yes
    But compared to most other European countries it is absolutely not 'in a jocker'

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Friends want to go to Girona in April, is it a bit too optimistic to think we'll be home and hosed by then for free travel?

Oymyakon wrote: »
    Friends want to go to Girona in April, is it a bit too optimistic to think we'll be home and hosed by then for free travel?

Not sure we will be ‘home and hosed’. But they should go for it. Before tourists numbers start to pick up. Every country will be through the post Christmas lockdown and wanting to get their economies and travel opened up again, even if we’re not completely done with COVID. I’ll be heading back to Valencia soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 39 samvimes

talulon wrote: »
    So...just came back from Canaries (Lanzarote). There's literally 0 risk to get COVID there since place is empty. Negative test needed to checkin hotel and straight to the bars.

Can I ask where you got the test? going to Tenerife in March, will probably still be a requirement to check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,600 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Living in Canada and no travelling back for Christ this year.

Currently, this is the longest I have been away from Ireland, and it is beginning to take its toll on me to be honest. I lost the idea of travelling home for Christmas a while back, and shifter my sights to end of March /April to coincide with the birthdays for the folks.

It is tempting to book flights, but this talk of further lockdowns after Christmas etc but a bit of a cloud over it. I am probably more lost than normal because there is no real idea of when it is safe or right to travel.

Add in that the flights are dirt cheap right now as well, would I be mad to book it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Gintonious wrote: »

Currently, this is the longest I have been away from Ireland, and it is beginning to take its toll on me to be honest. I lost the idea of travelling home for Christmas a while back, and shifter my sights to end of March /April to coincide with the birthdays for the folks.

It is tempting to book flights, but this talk of further lockdowns after Christmas etc but a bit of a cloud over it. I am probably more lost than normal because there is no real idea of when it is safe or right to travel.

Add in that the flights are dirt cheap right now as well, would I be mad to book it?

Up to you but I’d book it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Gintonious wrote: »

I would book it. You hear people saying it's only one Christmas and all this martyrdom talk. It was the same story during the summer with this "what's one summer" baloney.

The fact is it's been 10 long months and there's no real end in sight. It will be "what's another Easter" soon. But my point is that life really is too short for these extended separations from home and loved ones. How do you know for certain that your loved ones will definitely be around next year, especially if elderly parents? Will there definitely be other Christmases? Enough is enough. If there is another lockdown /more restrictions you'll manage. Be sensible, take your precautions and it will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

What does "in a jocker" mean? Genuinely asking, have never heard this before :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement