Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Its the new cases in 14 days, not 1 day. Around about Donegal levels

Valencia's rate now is 192 per 100,000 per 14 days, almost exactly the same as the national Spanish average.

They''re doing a little better than Donegal at the mo, which is now at 225.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

What's this fixation with Donegal ?!
    fisgon wrote: »
    Valencia's rate now is 192 per 100,000 per 14 days, almost exactly the same as the national Spanish average.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Travel if you want to. Take the tests, isolate, go where nothing is happening, but there's a bit of sun.

Or travel home either to see loved ones if you want.

I cannot get my head around this angst. Go or come on over if you want to. No one is stopping you.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Living in Canada and no travelling back for Christ this year.

Currently, this is the longest I have been away from Ireland, and it is beginning to take its toll on me to be honest. I lost the idea of travelling home for Christmas a while back, and shifter my sights to end of March /April to coincide with the birthdays for the folks.

It is tempting to book flights, but this talk of further lockdowns after Christmas etc but a bit of a cloud over it. I am probably more lost than normal because there is no real idea of when it is safe or right to travel.

Add in that the flights are dirt cheap right now as well, would I be mad to book it?

do it! My daughter was living in Vancouver for last 5 years, with hubby and baby. They decided to return to Ireland due to Covid uncertainties and another baby on the way. They returned here in August, I think it was Level 3 then (?), but got flights with Air Canada and made it home with relative ease. I think they might have had flights cancelled once by AC, but were able to re-schedule them.
    They are relieved and delighted to be home now, it was a big move with a baby , being pregnant and all their gear but the only issues were in Ireland with 14 day quarantine.
    Ironically they went on to catch Covid here in Limerick (where they live), 6 weeks after they returned home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,600 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

do it! My daughter was living in Vancouver for last 5 years, with hubby and baby. They decided to return to Ireland due to Covid uncertainties and another baby on the way. They returned here in August, I think it was Level 3 then (?), but got flights with Air Canada and made it home with relative ease. I think they might have had flights cancelled once by AC, but were able to re-schedule them.
    They are relieved and delighted to be home now, it was a big move with a baby , being pregnant and all their gear but the only issues were in Ireland with 14 day quarantine.
    Ironically they went on to catch Covid here in Limerick (where they live), 6 weeks after they returned home!!

I actually live in Vancouver, and this time of the year is a hard time with the rain and dark days. It takes its toll on you.

• Advertisement

I actually live in Vancouver, and this time of the year is a hard time with the rain and dark days. It takes its toll on you.

Its the same here weather wise right now! I think you should go ahead and book flights as long as Air Canada offer free re-scheduling of flights if they cancel . I also think the worst of things will be over by April of next year. If my daughter returned here in August successfully when there was no vaccine you should be fine by next March/April. It really did go more smoothly than I expected for them. I would definitely fly Air Canada the whole way if possible. It will give you something to look forward to. Hang in and best of luck :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Donegal has a population of 159k, Valencia region a population of 5.1m. There are areas in the Valencia region with rates lower than the lowest parts of Ireland. My area’s 14 day rate is 40. A neighbouring area is down to 50.

An are further away was at one point 300 and they got it down to near 50 too without the need for a second lockdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SB79

Just flew again the weekend, as always no problems at all, it really is beginning to sound very tiresome seeing some still droning on about the dangers of air travel,it's complete and utter nonsense, as someone mentioned before you've as much chance winning the lottery than catching covid 19 on a plane, but NPHET need something to blame and travel and pubs fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭talulon

samvimes wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got the test? going to Tenerife in March, will probably still be a requirement to check in.

There are many places already mentioned in this forum, I chose randox at the airport but any should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭3d4life

samvimes wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got the test? going to Tenerife in March, will probably still be a requirement to check in.

https://www.holaislascanarias.com/sites/default/files/covid19/Labs_Covid_Europa_eireann.pdf

Above link from https://www.hellocanaryislands.com/coronavirus/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Anyone knows, which travel insurance to get? Which one will cover you for everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Anyone knows, which travel insurance to get? Which one will cover you for everything?

I found insuretobesure.ie great to deal with.

Link doesnt work. Also - do they cover everything covid related - even if u travel against governments recommendation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

What does "in a jocker" mean? Genuinely asking, have never heard this before :)

Means "in bits"

It's a Dublin thing only maybe ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

"60% of all cases in Europe came from Spain due to travel"

A big statement

I know it's Luke O'Neil, but I've found him to be more reliable than miserable Staines and McDonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 11,600 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Its the same here weather wise right now! I think you should go ahead and book flights as long as Air Canada offer free re-scheduling of flights if they cancel . I also think the worst of things will be over by April of next year. If my daughter returned here in August successfully when there was no vaccine you should be fine by next March/April. It really did go more smoothly than I expected for them. I would definitely fly Air Canada the whole way if possible. It will give you something to look forward to. Hang in and best of luck :)

Nothing will come close to Vancouver in the winter for me. Ireland at least has a few clear days, we are on about 18 days of rain solid...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Nothing will come close to Vancouver in the winter for me. Ireland at least has a few clear days, we are on about 18 days of rain solid...

I guarantee you Gintonious that Kerry is worse. The most miserable climate I've ever lived in and I've lived in a fair few places. It's pretty much raining continually here and that's no exaggeration. And summers are poor too. Now before someone comes on and says I must hate it and I should pyss off somewhere else, let me add that Kerry is my home and I was born here. But I won't retire here and weather is the single biggest reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Today was beautiful ice blue sky and sunshine. Its the short daylight hours I find tough dark around 1630...and now pitch black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Mr.S wrote: »
    No generic travel insurance policy will be valid as long as there a no travel advisory.

Which there isn’t for EU anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

acequion wrote: »
    I guarantee you Gintonious that Kerry is worse. The most miserable climate I've ever lived in and I've lived in a fair few places. It's pretty much raining continually here and that's no exaggeration. And summers are poor too. Now before someone comes on and says I must hate it and I should pyss off somewhere else, let me add that Kerry is my home and I was born here. But I won't retire here and weather is the single biggest reason for that.

Kerry is my home also but it is the most dreary depressing place you can imagine, I can say I have seen maybe 5 days without rain since early October and I can't say we have had any cloud free days at all. The County has just become overly depressing and I am very close to realising my dream of being able to get out of here semi-permanently and I plan to return for Summers but I like life and sunshine but Kerry has to have the worst climate in all of Europe, receiving nearly 3 times the rainfall of Dublin for example. On average I fly every month primarily driven by Kerry's appalling weather.

The summers are a disaster and it rained from mid-June on this year, 2020 was one of the worst years in Kerry compared to 2018 which was lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

EHIC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

theguzman wrote: »
    Kerry is my home also but it is the most dreary depressing place you can imagine, I can say I have seen maybe 5 days without rain since early October and I can't say we have had any cloud free days at all. The County has just become overly depressing and I am very close to realising my dream of being able to get out of here semi-permanently and I plan to return for Summers but I like life and sunshine but Kerry has to have the worst climate in all of Europe, receiving nearly 3 times the rainfall of Dublin for example. On average I fly every month primarily driven by Kerry's appalling weather.

The summers are a disaster and it rained from mid-June on this year, 2020 was one of the worst years in Kerry compared to 2018 which was lovely.

A 100% accurate description of the Kerry weather, yet you'd be amazed how often I've been taken to task, both in the real and virtual worlds, for pointing out that reality. It's a shame it's so bad though because the scenery is stunning, the people are lovely and the pace of life somewhat more relaxed than in other parts of Ireland. But only somewhat as Ireland overall has become a rat race. But when you adore the outdoors as I do it's just impossible to be happy in such a climate despite the other positives. You just can't plan outdoors events any time of year and I'm not into the no such thing as bad weather only bad clothes philosophy. That's fine for those who are.

I'm lucky to have a place in Spain which I love, primarily for its climate and also for its very relaxed pace of life. I would love in the future to divide my time between both, but winters in Kerry are a big no and summers pretty much as well, so a major decision looms in my future.

I hope these posts about Kerry weather are not too far off topic. :) But I guess it's all relevant to the whole multi faceted idea of home, travel, why and where people travel.

And how god damn awful this pandemic has been for those of us who divide our lives between different countries.

acequion wrote: »
    A 100% accurate description of the Kerry weather, yet you'd be amazed how often I've been taken to task, both in the real and virtual worlds, for pointing out that reality. It's a shame it's so bad though because the scenery is stunning, the people are lovely and the pace of life somewhat more relaxed than in other parts of Ireland. But only somewhat as Ireland overall has become a rat race. But when you adore the outdoors as I do it's just impossible to be happy in such a climate despite the other positives. You just can't plan outdoors events any time of year and I'm not into the no such thing as bad weather only bad clothes philosophy. That's fine for those who are.

I'm lucky to have a place in Spain which I love, primarily for its climate and also for its very relaxed pace of life. I would love in the future to divide my time between both, but winters in Kerry are a big no and summers pretty much as well, so a major decision looms in my future.

I hope these posts about Kerry weather are not too far off topic. :) But I guess it's all relevant to the whole multi faceted idea of home, travel, why and where people travel.

And how god damn awful this pandemic has been for those of us who divide our lives between different countries.

Alot of the great things in Kerry have been eroded, Kerry is no longer that far flung cheap part of Ireland, housing is gone to the dogs in price and the rat race has definitely crept in big time. I would normally take in 2 months vacation time a year and this year has been very hard for myself in this regard.

One of the most bizarre stupidest things I have ever seen recently was the Council spending €20m+ turning the former Railway to Cahirciveen into a cycle+walking greenway track, a track that will see close to 300 days per year of incessant rain. What a white elephant, restoring the Railway would have given the town a link or as unlikely as that was would have been to build a proper road into the area unlike the glorified bohereen that services it now.

EHIC is in no way a replacement for travel insurance.

EHIC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

For me is more than adequate.

BTW, still travelling in 2 days time.

johnire wrote: »
    EHIC is in no way a replacement for travel insurance.

Considering travel insurance at the moment is pretty useless as they will find any excuse to avoid paying out an EHIC is highly advisable for travel within the European Union as at least you'd have access to the public systems on an equal basis as local populations. If I travel next year I will travel uninsured after what multitrip did to me in refusing to payout the majority of my legitimate claim, albeit I only lost ~€100 but I know lads down thousands. America you need medical coverage for but the insurance companies are doing things now where you'd nearly want a barrister to read the text to seeif you actually have coverage or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    "60% of all cases in Europe came from Spain due to travel"

A big statement

I know it's Luke O'Neil, but I've found him to be more reliable than miserable Staines and McDonkey

Perchance would that be the same Luke O'Neill who had his own video on the Ryanair website earlier this summer extolling the virtues of air travel and downplaying the risks? You know, I think it might be....

EHIC

i need it for egypt

Exactly my point as made a few posts back the EHIC does not and should not be regarded as any substitution for a good travel insurance policy.

Try Multitrip.com - I've made claims with them twice and they are excellent to deal with.

Enjoy Egypt - you'll love it!
    i need it for egypt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

An aviation blog, internal flight in the US. Not a mask in sight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHNTA03zJ0

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement