Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

An aviation blog, internal flight in the US. Not a mask in sight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHNTA03zJ0

It was pretty obvious after a few seconds that this is pre COVID. A quick look down the page and it says that the flight was in August 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Gintonious wrote: »
    Living in Canada and no travelling back for Christ this year.

Currently, this is the longest I have been away from Ireland, and it is beginning to take its toll on me to be honest. I lost the idea of travelling home for Christmas a while back, and shifter my sights to end of March /April to coincide with the birthdays for the folks.

It is tempting to book flights, but this talk of further lockdowns after Christmas etc but a bit of a cloud over it. I am probably more lost than normal because there is no real idea of when it is safe or right to travel.

Add in that the flights are dirt cheap right now as well, would I be mad to book it?

You can get a test at Dublin airport on arrival with a 5 hr turnaround
    Costs 180 euro
    You have to book it in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭talulon

An aviation blog, internal flight in the US. Not a mask in sight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHNTA03zJ0

Video recorded in August 2019...

talulon wrote: »
    Video recorded in August 2019...

You didn’t even need to look at the date of recording to know immediately that the video was pre-COVID.

Perchance would that be the same Luke O'Neill who had his own video on the Ryanair website earlier this summer extolling the virtues of air travel and downplaying the risks? You know, I think it might be....

was mr. O Neill paid for that video
    He seems to have a fondness for money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Ah for gods sake, I missed that it was 2019. Nevermind... and apologies for the noise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

brisan wrote: »
    Costs 180 euro

Outlandish money!! :mad:

If this drags into the 2021 tourist season it will be the death knell to Irish tourism, aviation and its smaller airports. Families in general won't be willing to pay that or simply unable to afford that huge extra cost.

Let's keep the fingers tightly crossed for an improving situation everywhere as 2021 opens up.

acequion wrote: »
    Outlandish money!! :mad:

If this drags into the 2021 tourist season it will be the death knell to Irish tourism, aviation and its smaller airports. Families in general won't be willing to pay that or simply unable to afford that huge extra cost.

Let's keep the fingers tightly crossed for an improving situation everywhere as 2021 opens up.

You pay that much for a 5 hr turnaround
    24 hr turnaround costs a lot less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Perchance would that be the same Luke O'Neill who had his own video on the Ryanair website earlier this summer extolling the virtues of air travel and downplaying the risks? You know, I think it might be....

What a feckin' chancer so

He's going into the Shíte Pile along with Staines and McDonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

You pay that much for a 5 hr turnaround
    24 hr turnaround costs a lot less

Still extremely poor value for money and absolutely no incentive for people to get tested other than if they absolutely have to for work or if someone else is paying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I travelled home for Christmas and it was the least stressful experience I've had travelling to be honest. Airports were quiet and people weren't shoved in like sardines. The worst part is that you couldn't get a single cup of tea in Dublin Airport on arrival (I needed it to warm up!). It was bad form not having a single shop open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Skinmaster

Hi,

I was wondering could anyone help me as the rules are unclear.
    I am planning on travelling to the England sat 19th Dec.
    We are travelling by car from Belfast to Scotland on ferry, then driving to England.
    Looking at government websites, you do not need to fill in passenger locator forms when travelling from Ireland to UK, or when travelling back to Ireland via Northern Ireland.
    Is it legal to do this, or has any of the travel "advice" became "legislation" ??

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

talulon wrote: »
    So...just came back from Canaries (Lanzarote). There's literally 0 risk to get COVID there since place is empty. Negative test needed to checkin hotel and straight to the bars.

Hi lads, anywhere else that's good to go like the canaries?

Anyone going to Poland in the next few weeks?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I travelled home for Christmas and it was the least stressful experience I've had travelling to be honest. Airports were quiet and people weren't shoved in like sardines. The worst part is that you couldn't get a single cup of tea in Dublin Airport on arrival (I needed it to warm up!). It was bad form not having a single shop open.

Theres a coffee shop exactly to the left of arrival and its open until midnight!

McDonalds upstairs is 24 hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

McDonalds upstairs is 24 hour.
    Is it still 24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Skinmaster wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering could anyone help me as the rules are unclear.
    I am planning on travelling to the England sat 19th Dec.
    We are travelling by car from Belfast to Scotland on ferry, then driving to England.
    Looking at government websites, you do not need to fill in passenger locator forms when travelling from Ireland to UK, or when travelling back to Ireland via Northern Ireland.
    Is it legal to do this, or has any of the travel "advice" became "legislation" ??

As far as I know that’s correct re: the forms.

However, Scottish regs say they do not permit travel between NI and Scotland, and England and Scotland except for ‘essential reasons’. It’ll be relaxed for the Christmas period but that’s not until the 22nd.

Is it still 24 hours?

Yes

Mars Bar wrote: »

Airports were quiet= no people =no business =no shops open

Seen reports last night that Tenerife had banned all incoming tourists for at least 2 weeks. That apears to be not the case now

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/17/travel-news-corridors-quarantine-restrictions-tier-3-covid-tests/

Regarding this part

Last week, Tenerife's seven-day case rate rose to 96.1 per 100,000 people – the highest in the Canary Islands, which has a collective average of 52.2 per 100,000 people.

How does that rate compare to Dublin?

It sounds very high

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

I am in Lanszarote, tenerife considered a basket case here have no hospitalizations mask, handwashing and distancing has a high compliance bars 11.30 and resturants close early everybody wears masks accept whaen eating and drinking.
    Not to busy about 25% but very pleasant

• Advertisement

agoodpunt wrote: »
    I am in Lanszarote, tenerife considered a basket case here have no hospitalizations mask, handwashing and distancing has a high compliance bars 11.30 and resturants close early everybody wears masks accept whaen eating and drinking.

You've written your post in such a way that it's hard to know when you're talking about Tenerife and when you're talking about Lanzorote

I thought all of Spain had strict masks rules, both indoors and outdoors?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    You've written your post in such a way that it's hard to know when you're talking about Tenerife and when you're talking about Lanzorote

I thought all of Spain had strict masks rules, both indoors and outdoors?

Sorry its the way the locals put it all the islands are one area but tenerife is a black spot for covid it is the largest island higher density and is what the virus loves.
    Yes you will be reminded of your mask if you get up from a table even out doors but that is very minor inconvience when you have some resemblance of normality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

On the plane now. Home soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Major announcement in the Valencia region tonight that has upset a lot of people. The rolling back of restrictions for Christmas was due to come in to effect similar to Ireland and allow people to travel between regions for the holidays (the rules are enforced in Spain so when they say you cant, you definitely cant) however the Valencia government has squashed it tonight. No inter region travel permitted for Christmas. To make matters worse the extension of curfew to 1:30am on Christmas and NYE is cancelled too.

Lots of anger voices on the Spanish forums. Its quite sad to read. Valencia region is the best region on mainland Spain with some parts (including my own) having little to no cases. The regional government has been conservative throughout the crisis though.

Note none of this effects air travel in to Spain

faceman wrote: »
    Valencia region is the best region on mainland Spain with some parts (including my own) having little to no cases.

Thanks for the update

What part are you in again? It sounds very safe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Thinking about extending my Lanzarote trip in January from a week to around 10-12 days, because the government and the media are already preparing us for another Level 5 situation by the new year and we haven't even reached Christmas yet!

They seem to be talking about bringing back the tougher restrictions earlier than they previously thought. NPHET have advised the government to close pubs and restaurants again on December 28.

Then in early January its possible Level 5 could make its return. I am so done right now and completely fed up with this whole mess.

Lanzarote is very safe and you can have some sense of normality out there, mixed the warmer weather which is a huge bonus.

agoodpunt wrote: »

Going there Sunday. Looking forward to it having been wfh cooped up in the apartment since March.

Will bring my work laptop and phone and may extend my trip past my original 8 nights and into January off the back of Mícheál Martin and Leo's comments this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,600 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Costs 180 euro

Is this related to this by chance?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1208/1183217-travel-covid-testing/?fbclid=IwAR2w0M5WNcoDQCg4CtX9YPs5KKfK2eTdDQ2-BUldAFZV4uqCbi3K8dPltb4

When I saw this I got my hopes up. Clearly I would take 5 hours over 2 weeks, I wonder what kind of infrastructure the airports would need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Gintonious wrote: »
    Is this related to this by chance?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1208/1183217-travel-covid-testing/?fbclid=IwAR2w0M5WNcoDQCg4CtX9YPs5KKfK2eTdDQ2-BUldAFZV4uqCbi3K8dPltb4

When I saw this I got my hopes up. Clearly I would take 5 hours over 2 weeks, I wonder what kind of infrastructure the airports would need.

No. In that report they're talking about antigen testing which would be much cheaper and faster results as well. At present the only tests sanctioned by the Irish Govt are PCR and they are rip off expensive. Antigen tests would be affordable and would be a welcome compromise to most if it meant getting rid of the 14 restrict movements.

I'm dying to make plans to travel and will travel come what may but will be furious if I'm forced to fork out huge money for tests. I can't understand how people are getting excited about that as if it's some major breakthrough. It's not.

• Advertisement

I got the pcr test prior to going out to Lanzarote its a rip off, return flights are cheaper probably because its putting off many from travelling so its swings and roundabouts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement