Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

[url]htt ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewoeE6vxnfE[/url]

I think I would rather stay at home to be honest.

That woman’s voice is like nails on a blackboard. I mean who the F would ever go to Benidorm in the name of Jaysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

faceman wrote: »
    I’d rather stay home than go to Benidorm covid or no covid!

I hear ya.

If only there was a 'LOL' emoji I could use!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I hear ya.

If only there was a 'LOL' emoji I could use!

In all my time in this region of Spain I’ve never visited Benidorm. I’ve passed it a few times but never braked

acequion wrote: »
    As for unions, they're generally useless, though I've been very involved in mine, one of the feistier of the PS unions. And I've kicked up about this but tbh not enough union members have. Many of my colleagues would be following the cult of Tony and would actually be ok with that crazy rule and be very disapproving of my being bold enough to protest. Enough said. :rolleyes:
    I'm utterly dumbfounded at the silence of unions around this. 6 months later and still not a whisper. Absolutely staggering this has been allowed to continue in a supposedly progressive country.

We actually agree Acequion but as my union said "Everything Covid related wont be resolved until after Covid because of Covid restrictions".

Not enough people raising their voices and failing to see the big picture.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Terminal 2? I landed in Terminal 1 but couldn't enter Terminal 2 because I wasn't deparing. Wrights was closed.

Maybe I missed something in Terminal 1!

Terminal 1.

Terminal 2 has Nero coffee outside arrivals but its not 24 hour

What Wrights are you refering to?

• Advertisement

In all my time in this region of Spain I’ve never visited Benidorm. I’ve passed it a few times but never braked

Outside of bringing the kids to Mundomar, I completely agree. Im informed by Spanish friends that there are Spanish areas that remain nice, never see then though. Just seems to be yobs, English pubs and ugly women doing sex shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Terminal 1.

Terminal 2 has Nero coffee outside arrivals but its not 24 hour

What Wrights are you refering to?

The shop on the way out to the bus zones from terminal 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

That woman’s voice is like nails on a blackboard. I mean who the F would ever go to Benidorm in the name of Jaysis.

When we visit that area we stay in beautiful Altea about 6 miles further on from Benidorm. We visited Benidorm once and it was enough, although the Old Town is nice.

Here are a few webcams.

https://www.seemallorca.com/webcams/port-de-soller

https://www.seemallorca.com/webcams/port-de-pollensa

https://www.palma.co.uk/portixolwebcam.php

https://www.palma.co.uk/canpastillawebcam-3.php

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The shop on the way out to the bus zones from terminal 2.

Gotcha. Yeah that closes early enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Let’s be clear about something here.

The government didn’t do anything to stop travel in the early days of this Virus. That lead to it spreading more than had they done something.

They didn’t do anything to put in place robust systems to make travel feasible over the busiest travel period of the year this Christmas.

Instead of actually getting some system in place to require tests before hand and upon arrival, which could have been at the persons expense they have talked about not travelling, and surprise surprise people are travelling home for Christmas.

Christmas travel could have been planned and prepared for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

When we visit that area we stay in beautiful Altea about 6 miles further on from Benidorm.

Couldn't agree more. Beautiful spot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,600 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

And therein lies the big difference. Summers in Kerry are pretty much more of the same except for the obvious seasonal changes in light though not always in temperature, ie often 13C in winter and 16C in summer. Back yonks ago when I was a child summers used to be decent enough and compensated for winters. But global warming has changed all that. Muck all year now except for the odd nice spell which come come anytime of year.

But does Vancouver get over 300 rainy days a year? Because Kerry does. Do remember that Kerry is the wettest county in Ireland and I'm talking specifically about Kerry's climate, not Ireland in general.

No, but it gets more rain and snow than Kerry overall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

When we visit that area we stay in beautiful Altea about 6 miles further on from Benidorm. We visited Benidorm once and it was enough, although the Old Town is nice.

Here are a few webcams.

https://www.seemallorca.com/webcams/port-de-soller

https://www.seemallorca.com/webcams/port-de-pollensa

https://www.palma.co.uk/portixolwebcam.php

https://www.palma.co.uk/canpastillawebcam-3.php

Altea is beautiful. Do you ever visit Guadalest? It’s beautiful. This year in particular in the absence of tourists

Arrived in Lanzarote yesterday. Good crowd on the flight. (I'd estimate at 80% full). Place is quiet enough overall which suits me to the ground. A good chunk of the restaurants and bars are open which suits and the weather is good.

Checks on way in by authorities that all had done the health declaration and accommodation had requested all documentation to be submitted related to the Covid tests that we did.

Overall the whole place seems very safe. The taxi driver mentioned only 40 cases on the island in total since the beginning (which is very low comparatively with the mainland).

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Belt

Arrived in Lanzarote yesterday. Good crowd on the flight. (I'd estimate at 80% full). Place is quiet enough overall which suits me to the ground. A good chunk of the restaurants and bars are open which suits and the weather is good.

Checks on way in by authorities that all had done the health declaration and accommodation had requested all documentation to be submitted related to the Covid tests that we did.

Overall the whole place seems very safe. The taxi driver mentioned only 40 cases on the island in total since the beginning (which is very low comparatively with the mainland).

Is a negative test still required for the Canaries??

Belt wrote: »
    Is a negative test still required for the Canaries??

Yes, negative PCR or Antigen test in the 72 hrs before travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Gintonious wrote: »
    No, but it gets more rain and snow than Kerry overall.

Well if it doesn't get 300+ days of rain per year how does it have more than Kerry. And who mentioned snow?

Are you from Kerry? Have you lived in Kerry? Because you seem so certain that Vancouver has a rainier climate than Kerry. Which, as a Kerry resident since birth, I would dispute.

Perhaps you could provide a few stats comparing the rainfall of the two regions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Well if it doesn't get 300+ days of rain per year how does it have more than Kerry. And who mentioned snow?

Are you from Kerry? Have you lived in Kerry? Because you seem so certain that Vancouver has a rainier climate than Kerry. Which, as a Kerry resident since birth, I would dispute.

Perhaps you could provide a few stats comparing the rainfall of the two regions?

This is not the weather forum. Ask your questions over there and stop derailing this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Sitting in business class of an A320 for a one hour jaunt back home. Warm weather, cold beer and a totally unrestricted Christmas awaits me, albeit not in Ireland.

This shall be my 208th flight for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Altea is beautiful. Do you ever visit Guadalest? It’s beautiful. This year in particular in the absence of tourists

No but it is on my list. We were due to have an extended holiday this October in Altea but had to cancel. The plan was to see if we could spend a month on either side of Christmas....October and March in Altea. We rent in the same block every time, frontline to see the sunrise.

Maybe next year we can try again.

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    Sitting in business class of an A320 for a one hour jaunt back home. Warm weather, cold beer and a totally unrestricted Christmas awaits me, albeit not in Ireland.

This shall be my 208th flight for 2020.

I fly a lot so making mo judgment on carbon footprints or travel generally. But isn’t getting a flight in 2 of every three days just a bit ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I fly a lot so making mo judgment on carbon footprints or travel generally. But isn’t getting a flight in 2 of every three days just a bit ****?

Unless you’re a pilot or airline staff.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Unless you’re a pilot or airline staff.

Facepalm!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

This is not the weather forum. Ask your questions over there and stop derailing this thread.

Are you one of the mods? If not and I'm almost certain you're not, I don't see the need for your very rude tone!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Might be travelling to Netherlands in first week of January for 3 days, flying from Cork. No quarantine needed as of yet (Cork isn't one of the counties listed for that) But if quarantine does become 'advised' for 10 days, does anyone know if the quarantine is actually mandatory? Haven't been able to find definitive statement saying so, only 'advised'.

Ps I'm not necessarily trying to skirt restrictions in case someone jumps at that, just want to know full info before I travel anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,600 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Because, in the days that it does rain in Vancouver, it rains more in those days, last week we had close to 30mm in a day, some places get that in a month in Ireland. I mention snow because it is also a form of precipitation...like rain.

I posted stats a few pages back, here:
    Vancouver is a temperate rainforest more or less, it's job in the winter is to rain...that is all.

Depending on which part you live, it can get 1,189mm in per year, or as high as 2,477mm in per year. Kerry gets about 1068mm.

It must be an irish thing to think that it has the worst climate on gods earth

Granted, summers in Vancouver are magic.

I have been to Kerry yes, have you lived in Vancouver? You might hate it with all the rain :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

smurfjed wrote: »

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Where?

Maybe an island in the Carribean or middle east or down under? Great guessing game to have and we can dream we are there over the season. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

speckle wrote: »
    Maybe an island in the Carribean or middle east or down under? Great guessing game to have and we can dream we are there over the season. :D

Especially after today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Corholio wrote: »
    Might be travelling to Netherlands in first week of January for 3 days, flying from Cork. No quarantine needed as of yet (Cork isn't one of the counties listed for that) But if quarantine does become 'advised' for 10 days, does anyone know if the quarantine is actually mandatory? Haven't been able to find definitive statement saying so, only 'advised'.

Ps I'm not necessarily trying to skirt restrictions in case someone jumps at that, just want to know full info before I travel anywhere.

You are aware that The Netherlands is currently in its strictest lockdown yet which is to last well into January with a recent high increase in cases there. About the only place that you can have a beer is in Schipol airport and even at that everything closes by 20:00.

You have to have a very good reason and expect to be asked why you are travelling there. The government website is very good and detailed. They have basically asked people not to go to the country til March.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement