Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I'm looking to jet out within the next 5 days, I can't take it anymore, the rain here has been atrocious plus the absolute horsecrap of Christmas (I'm a firm Grinch).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Gintonious wrote: »
    Because, in the days that it does rain in Vancouver, it rains more in those days, last week we had close to 30mm in a day, some places get that in a month in Ireland. I mention snow because it is also a form of precipitation...like rain.

I posted stats a few pages back, here:

I have been to Kerry yes, have you lived in Vancouver? You might hate it with all the rain :D

Sorry, not convinced. I'm not accusing you of lying and I'm not being deliberately snotty but what I'd like is a link to some official stats comparing to the two regions side by side and more comprehensive than average mm of rainfall. If such a study even exists. I'm not exaggerating when I say that here in Kerry, especially thee past two years, it rains 90% of the time. We won't get into type of rain, degree of rain. Rain is rain. And though I'd love to visit Vancouver, you're right that I'd hate to find myself stuck in more rain. I've been to Quebec though, which has a very different climate and I loved it.

But you may have noticed how an extremely rude poster already told me to jog on to the weather forum with this discussion and though I generally greet rudeness with rudeness, I don't want to annoy the many nice people who post here. So unless you can post those official stats let's park it here and each go back to putting up with our rainy regions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,600 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

acequion wrote: »
    Sorry, not convinced. I'm not accusing you of lying and I'm not being deliberately snotty but what I'd like is a link to some official stats comparing to the two regions side by side and more comprehensive than average mm of rainfall. If such a study even exists. I'm not exaggerating when I say that here in Kerry, especially thee past two years, it rains 90% of the time. We won't get into type of rain, degree of rain. Rain is rain. And though I'd love to visit Vancouver, you're right that I'd hate to find myself stuck in more rain. I've been to Quebec though, which has a very different climate and I loved it.

But you may have noticed how an extremely rude poster already told me to jog on to the weather forum with this discussion and though I generally greet rudeness with rudeness, I don't want to annoy the many nice people who post here. So unless you can post those official stats let's park it here and each go back to putting up with our rainy regions. :)

These 2 highlighted parts made me laugh, fair play.

A rainforest will inevitably get more rain than Kerry, you are free to look up the stats on that, as I did. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

theguzman wrote: »
    I'm looking to jet out within the next 5 days, I can't take it anymore, the rain here has been atrocious plus the absolute horsecrap of Christmas (I'm a firm Grinch).

I hear you, but you will absolutely pay a huge premium for that flight. Maybe 4 or 5 times what you'd pay in January

A) It's the time of the year RyanAir etc push their prices way up, and
    B) It's very last minute

Both of those together = $$$

Gintonious wrote: »
    These 2 highlighted parts made me laugh, fair play.

A rainforest will inevitably get more rain than Kerry, you are free to look up the stats on that, as I did. :)

I find your answer smart arse. Considering I originally answered your posts in good faith, thinking you were Covid unsure and just wanting to help.

My help has got me rebuked for derailing the thread and yet still absolutely nothing of real interest or official from you re your claims. Which, without any official proof, are just that. Claims. Not very nice.

I won't be replying to you again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

bikeman1 wrote: »
    You are aware that The Netherlands is currently in its strictest lockdown yet which is to last well into January with a recent high increase in cases there. About the only place that you can have a beer is in Schipol airport and even at that everything closes by 20:00.

You have to have a very good reason and expect to be asked why you are travelling there. The government website is very good and detailed. They have basically asked people not to go to the country til March.

I'm aware of all that. Not interested in having beers while there really. Current situation still doesn't require a specific 'good' reason to be there (from government website), even though mine is quite specific. More wanting to know specific info on the quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 galway_lad

Corholio wrote: »
    Not interested in having beers while there really.

I've been the same anytime I've been to the Netherlands ;)

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I hear you, but you will absolutely pay a huge premium for that flight. Maybe 4 or 5 times what you'd pay in January

A) It's the time of the year RyanAir etc push their prices way up, and
    B) It's very last minute

Both of those together = $$$

Totally, the flight could cost a grand (one-way) potentially coupled if I have to pay for a neg PCR test now but once I get there my costs would be low and I'd stay there until Easter. A small price to avoid the depression of being here, the rain here is so loud I had to move to the downstairs bedroom again. What is killing me the most is the Irish weather of being couped up like a prisoner here every single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just arrived at Málaga airport. Pretty strict, asked for boarding pass when I entered, will head outside again to eat my spanish omelette. Less people around, you can notice that the Brits can't travel. Will be coming into Dublin later on.

Totally, the flight could cost a grand (one-way) potentially coupled if I have to pay for a neg PCR test now but once I get there my costs would be low and I'd stay there until Easter. A small price to avoid the depression of being here, the rain here is so loud I had to move to the downstairs bedroom again. What is killing me the most is the Irish weather of being couped up like a prisoner here every single day.

I hear you the guzman, where are you off to? We're meant to be getting a few days respite from the rain which is at least something. But I agree the whole thing is most depressing and being stuck here in such a winter when we're imprisoned within the county, is almost too much to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

For those that are following I am on the ferry

What a blo0dy disaster the repatriation system was 24 hrs 4 calls and 2 emails and no reply to say I could travel.

In the end at about 1400 hours the system changed and anyone with proof of an Irish home address was allowed to board.

Might do a fuller post later. For now it's head down on the ferry for a sleep.

Edit posted in wrong thread should have been in the one about the 48 hour lock down on travel to Ireland.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Ryanair have cut more flights from Dublin to Lanzarote in January. There seems to be very few dates available now after mid January.

RobitTV wrote: »
    Ryanair have cut more flights from Dublin to Lanzarote in January. There seems to be very few dates available now after mid January.

and yet they keep having sales!

and yet they keep having sales!

I know and there are hardly any dates to choose from :pac: every few days I look on the Ryanair website and they seem to be cutting flights and destinations.

I know and there are hardly any dates to choose from :pac: every few days I look on the Ryanair website and they seem to be cutting flights and destinations.

Is that just a temporary thing ie in January, or is it the same further on in the year?

Is that just a temporary thing ie in January, or is it the same further on in the year?

I think its temporary until March or April sadly, or maybe even the summer at this stage. It seems more and more people lately are cancelling trips and Ryanair haven't got the numbers to keep the routes going. Cork and Shannon won't resume Ryanair flights until March.

Ryanair are still flying from Dublin but they are cutting back heavily on the amount of dates they are flying to certain destinations.

I hear you the guzman, where are you off to? We're meant to be getting a few days respite from the rain which is at least something. But I agree the whole thing is most depressing and being stuck here in such a winter when we're imprisoned within the county, is almost too much to take.

Rio de Janeiro but most likely fly into either Garulhos or Campinas in Sao Paulo state. Brasil is one of the few countries open to us at the moment in the Southern Hemisphere.

Anything low priced is looking at being cancelled unless a lot of people jump on it. Im travelling in January, I must be on about my tenth flight between cancellations and changes at this stage. Iberia, Ryanair, Vueling, Aer Lingus and Veloteo. :):rolleyes:

Anything low priced is looking at being cancelled unless a lot of people jump on it. Im travelling in January, I must be on about my tenth flight between cancellations and changes at this stage. Iberia, Ryanair, Vueling, Aer Lingus and Veloteo. :):rolleyes:

I'm going to Lanzarote in mid January for a week, I was thinking lately of extending my trip to 10 days, but now I'm too afraid to change one of the flights, in case they end up cancelling the flight I change at a later date. Knowing my luck it would happen :rolleyes::pac:

I think I will stick to the week I originally booked and hope for the best.

That's crazy :eek: the amount of different cancellations you have been through. Mental!

Holy sh** go on the Ryanair website and put in Dublin to Lanzarote return in January and they have increased the prices to between 200-340 on some of the dates!

Link

• Advertisement

Holy sh** go on the Ryanair website and put in Dublin to Lanzarote return in January and they have increased the prices to between 200-340 on some of the dates!

Link

I'm sure there is a surge of bookings to get the heck out of here in January, also Christmas gifts for elderly parents etc. Lanzarote being famous for the newly-wed and nearly dead. Mick & Co. will never let a good crisis go to waste if there is an opportunity for price gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Flight Dublin to Bristol on 30th got cancelled.
    Changed it to the 1st Jan.
    Fingers crossed it goes ahead.

I'm sure there is a surge of bookings to get the heck out of here in January, also Christmas gifts for elderly parents etc. Lanzarote being famous for the newly-wed and nearly dead. Mick & Co. will never let a good crisis go to waste if there is an opportunity for price gouging.

Yeah I think people have had enough and many of them are going to escape abroad for a while. I'm glad I'm going in January, might even be able to get my haircut out there! :pac:

Think I paid €90 return when I booked a few weeks ago with Ryanair. Now they are asking for €551.71 return on the dates I booked.

This might work in my favour weirdly, good chance my flights won't be cancelled now if the demand was there before they increased the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Panthro wrote: »
    Flight Dublin to Bristol on 30th got cancelled.
    Changed it to the 1st Jan.
    Fingers crossed it goes ahead.

Was wondering how much notice people are receiving when Ryanair are cancel upcoming flights. Seems like they are cancelling a lot. Anyone else been advised? Have a flight on the 28th, haven't heard anything yet.

In Lanzarote now with the gf. Its absolute bliss and feels very normal. Had a great day sightseeing around the volcanos followed by a seafood dinner in a coastal village watching the sunset.

It feels strangely normal with music in the pubs etc.

Supposed to fly home 28th but with the pace things are moving at home tempted to extend into January. We discussed it today and she is thinking about it as we both brought our work laptops.

In Lanzarote now with the gf. Its absolute bliss and feels very normal. Had a great day sightseeing around the volcanos followed by a seafood dinner in a coastal village watching the sunset.

Supposed to fly home 28th but with the pace things are moving at home tempted to extend into January. We discussed it today and she is thinking about it as we both brought our work laptops.

Glad you are both enjoying yourselves!

Wish I was out there now. Lanzarote is the closest thing to normality right now in Europe and possibly even the world. Live music in the bars and they are still open much later than in Ireland.

You should both stay in Lanzarote much longer, the level of hysteria and doom over here is simply absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

We fly next weekend to somewhere not too far away from you.

The only thing keeping us going at this rate, everything is so depressing, doom and gloom right now. I genuinely do think some people revel in it which I hadn't done in previous lockdowns, etc but this time there seems to be way more.

Ignoring the news as best possible until next week, looking forward to the sun and normality. Glad to hear there is light!! Enjoy your break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I think all Irish musicians might just head there :D

Lanzarote - Puerto Del Carmen today

People out in the sun, sitting at the bars, walking along the prom, lovely warm weather, no hysteria, no doom and gloom, no media hysteria, no panic!

No wonder people want to leave Ireland for January and beyond.

• Advertisement

Lanzarote - Puerto Del Carmen today

People out in the sun, sitting at the bars, walking along the prom, lovely warm weather, no hysteria, no doom and gloom, no media hysteria, no panic!

No wonder people want to leave Ireland for January and beyond.

It's exactly like that video. It's quiet compared to normal times but everywhere is open and most importantly safe.

People are still wearing masks and sanitizing etc where needed. A level of cop on remains.

We did the test before travel and will do the test when we return to Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement