Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As it stands Ireland remains on Spain’s safe list till January 10th. It’s one to watch closely though if you’re planning a trip out given the U.K. strain has been found in Ireland and the dramatic increase in cases.

To the poster currently in lanzarote I’d stay there for sure! If NPHET get their way non essential retail will close again and it’ll be back to full level 5 lockdown. Leo is saying till March too

Ireland is not the place to be after Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

faceman wrote: »
    As it stands Ireland remains on Spain’s safe list till January 10th. It’s one to watch closely though if you’re planning a trip out given the U.K. strain has been found in Ireland and the dramatic increase in cases.

To the poster currently in lanzarote I’d stay there for sure! If NPHET get their way non essential retail will close again and it’ll be back to full level 5 lockdown. Leo is saying till March too

Spare a thought for those of us stuck here faceman! :(

I hugely envy all those getting away but am happy for everyone and hope people don't get caught with flight cancellations.

I've no choice but to grin and bear it here and it is indeed awful along with constant bad weather. I'm starting to get my hopes up to get away at Easter but nothing booked as yet. I'll have to see how things go. You can't even look forward to anything anymore as it could be pulled even at the last minute, but it's human nature to hope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

acequion wrote: »
    Spare a thought for those of us stuck here faceman! :(

I hugely envy all those getting away but am happy for everyone and hope people don't get caught with flight cancellations.

I've no choice but to grin and bear it here and it is indeed awful along with constant bad weather. I'm starting to get my hopes up to get away at Easter but nothing booked as yet. I'll have to see how things go. You can't even look forward to anything anymore as it could be pulled even at the last minute, but it's human nature to hope.

I’m back in Ireland too at the moment. I feel your pain. I’m out of here in a week though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

faceman wrote: »

Ireland is not the place to be ever. This ****show has convinced me beyond doubt that my retirement lies as far away from this place as I can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I feel the same way. Really wish I could go somewhere but delighted to read here of people who are heading off.

Enjoy your breaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I'm pretty much all set to go in January now:

- Flight + hotel booked
    - Covid test booked before I depart
    - Bus ticket with private operator booked

Just got to fill out the Spanish health travel form nearer the time, and that's pretty much it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I wonder how long Ireland will remain on Germany's safe list. I think they update weekly? That would make the next update on Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

RobitTV wrote: »
    I'm pretty much all set to go in January now:

- Flight + hotel booked
    - Covid test booked before I depart
    - Bus ticket with private operator booked

Just got to fill out the Spanish health travel form nearer the time, and that's pretty much it.

How much is the Covid test costing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

theguzman wrote: »

My test is €139 euro because I'm getting mine done in a Boots pharmacy. It's the only place that does testing that is close to me unfortunately.

But I'm lucky at this rate to have found somewhere close to me which does testing. The airports are a good distance away from me and the main cities.

It would be such a pain travelling somewhere across the country for a test.

Is the test still €80 in the Bons near where we live? Last I heard it was. But it started out at €50. Greed is very inflationary :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Is the test still €80 in the Bons near where we live? Last I heard it was. But it started out at €50. Greed is very inflationary :rolleyes:

Just back from the UK and the txt from the DFA said I should get a Covid 19 test in the next 5 days and to go to my GP for a free test. I like the way the DFA think :D

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Yes €80 in the Bons in Tralee, however I don't believe it is valid or acceptable for travel as you just receive SMS text notification of your covid status. You apparently must get some print off to show to the airline. I wonder if it has a QR code to feed into a global database or how it works? A simple doctors letter could be easily forged for example.

Yes €80 in the Bons in Tralee, however I don't believe it is valid or acceptable for travel as you just receive SMS text notification of your covid status. You apparently must get some print off to show to the airline. I wonder if it has a QR code to feed into a global database or how it works? A simple doctors letter could be easily forged for example.

But I'd imagine it would have to be valid for travel. I know that Kerry airport did announce that there would be testing facilities not at but near the airport and that it would cost €80. I think that must be the Bons!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 happypiggy1

Hi all, i'm thinking about booking a flight to Gran Canaria for next Saturday, thinking about spending 3 weeks there, anyone heading there soon or there at the moment?? I emailed a couple of hotels to see what the story is with travellers from Ireland and they say they are accepting people from Ireland at the moment anyway, flights seem to be reasonable enough so just wondering if anyone has been recently or heading there soon, some feedback would be much appreciated, thanks

But I'd imagine it would have to be valid for travel. I know that Kerry airport did announce that there would be testing facilities not at but near the airport and that it would cost €80. I think that must be the Bons!

It’s it’s an SMS it won’t be valid. The document needs to state a few specific things including your passport number.

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Was wondering how much notice people are receiving when Ryanair are cancel upcoming flights. Seems like they are cancelling a lot. Anyone else been advised? Have a flight on the 28th, haven't heard anything yet.

how much is it selling for at the moment? Decent indictator.

As Faceman said above, I would be amazed if we stay on the safe list but so far Im good to go

the guzman you might let us know where you get your test done n the cost please. Thanks a lot.

Lunacy if the Bons one isn't even valid. What's the point in a private test facility if it's not valid for travel!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

arriving from lanszarote sat have a return flight 31dec hope to stay on for about 3 month WFH great place to stay all very civil and compliant with masking very little covid around will have to get another test day before hope I can get back sorry i have to return get a few things done and go back.

If you need any info can pm no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Hi all, i'm thinking about booking a flight to Gran Canaria for next Saturday, thinking about spending 3 weeks there, , some feedback would be much appreciated, thanks

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/espana/canarias/santa-cruz-de-tenerife/playa-los-cristianos.html

Wait for it to load.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Hi has anyone flown in the last couple of days? thinking of going away for a few nights for a new years break since everything is closed here, can get my test done etc beforehand and after

last time we weren't supposed to leave the county, the airport buses etc were still going as normal, is this still the case?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Yes, there is nothing stopping people leaving the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Flying back down to Spain on the 2nd of Jan for some much needed sun after a very successful trip in October.

I see we are not on their red list so no PCR test required. Does anyone know if they still publish the ‘safe list’ so I can double check we are still on it? All I can find now is the red list....

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Flying back down to Spain on the 2nd of Jan for some much needed sun after a very successful trip in October.

I see we are not on their red list so no PCR test required. Does anyone know if they still publish the ‘safe list’ so I can double check we are still on it? All I can find now is the red list....

Ireland is on the safe list till January 10th.

https://www.mscbs.gob.es/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/spth.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55471282
    Spain is to set up a registry of people who refuse to be vaccinated against coronavirus and share it with other European Union nations, the health minister has said.

Salvador Illa said the list would not be made accessible to the public or to employers.

He said the way to defeat the virus was "to vaccinate all of us - the more the better".

Very frightening, I wonder how they will generate that list ?
    Will it be people who are in health care facilities that actively refuse it ?
    Or just people who happened not to have gotten it yet .

I was planning to wait a while before getting it, so will I be put on a no fly list now?

very very sinister indeed.

Golfman64 wrote: »

Spain isnt due to release the next list until January 4th and it wont take effect until 11th.

TomSweeney wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55471282

Very frightening, I wonder how they will generate that list ?
    Will it be people who are in health care facilities that actively refuse it ?
    Or just people who happened not to have gotten it yet .

I was planning to wait a while before getting it, so will I be put on a no fly list now?

very very sinister indeed.

Theres nothing sinister at all about it, its their version of the census (padron) minus people that are vaccinated. Most countries will operate their systems that way or will be cross referencing between lists like the current cencus, an 'opt in' list for those not on the census and a vaccinated list.

There will be the possibility of someone not wanting to get vaccinated simple not appearing on any list

Theres nothing sinister at all about it, its their version of the census (padron) minus people that are vaccinated. Most countries will operate their systems that way or will be cross referencing between lists like the current cencus, an 'opt in' list for those not on the census and a vaccinated list.

There will be the possibility of someone not wanting to get vaccinated simple not appearing on any list
    I hope you're right, it seems like a no fly list to me, they will share with other EU countries.

So what if I get it in Ireland and so don;t need to get it in Spain, I could appear on this blacklist...

I hope you're right, it seems like a no fly list to me, they will share with other EU countries.

So what if I get it in Ireland and so don;t need to get it in Spain, I could appear on this blacklist...

How does it appear like a 'no fly list' from that article? theres nothing in it suggesting that any adverse effect will be implemented by Spain. If the UK (its the BBC) decide that they wont allow people in without being vaccinated then thats their decision but theres no way that the EU will do so.

You raise an interesting point about 2 nations. I would hope that the leaders of the EU will also see that issue and thats why Spain will be sharing their list.

Common sense would suggest that the EU shares the information and cross references. Im similar to you, will probable appear in both countries lists of residents. I think I will be the Irish tier 4 to get vaccinated. Im unlikely to be higher in the Spanish list so expect to be vaccinated in Ireland.

But why would they share it with the EU ? - if not for countries to refuse entry if you appear on their list ?

It's bizarre, I have a Spanish NIE number, but I travel with my Irish passport - so it wouldn't effect me for travel, but in theory I would be on that blacklist, as my NIE will show me as an unvaccinated individual.

• Advertisement

But why would they share it with the EU ? - if not for countries to refuse entry if you appear on their list ?

It's bizarre, I have a Spanish NIE number, but I travel with my Irish passport - so it wouldn't effect me for travel, but in theory I would be on that blacklist, as my NIE will show me as an unvaccinated individual.

Sorry but you arent reading, I clearly demonstrated why sharing the list makes sense. Because people will appear on the Spanish list that have been vaccinated in other EU nations.

You wont appear on the Spanish vaccination list just based on an NIE though, it will be residency based I would assume or again, I would expect based on common sense. I an a registered resident but my parents for example are not, they have NIE numbers purely as a result of peoperty ownership. It will be a mess if they also appeared on the Spanish list.

The EU already shares information on us. Be it drivers licenses, tax, social welfare, criminal records. Theres a lot already within 'the system' of the EU

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement