Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Still a no entry list whatever way you look at it.
    What other reason would they share it...should I expect to be denied entry to Ireland if I am on that list ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

TomSweeney wrote: »
    But why would they share it with the EU ? - if not for countries to refuse entry if you appear on their list ?

It's bizarre, I have a Spanish NIE number, but I travel with my Irish passport - so it wouldn't effect me for travel, but in theory I would be on that blacklist, as my NIE will show me as an unvaccinated individual.

You’re not a Spanish resident so it doesn’t apply to you

faceman wrote: »
    You’re not a Spanish resident so it doesn’t apply to you
    I am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Travelling tomorrow, booked today. Off to Egypt from Germany. Don’t regret a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

SnowyMay wrote: »
    Travelling tomorrow, booked today. Off to Egypt from Germany. Don’t regret a thing.

Enjoy. We fly out Saturday. Living for it!

• Advertisement

Have a great time yourself Fr. Hernandez!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Great news. Do people who are purposely deciding not to get the vaccine seriously expect not to be treated differently to us responsibly minded people?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55471282

Very frightening, I wonder how they will generate that list ?
    Will it be people who are in health care facilities that actively refuse it ?
    Or just people who happened not to have gotten it yet .

I was planning to wait a while before getting it, so will I be put on a no fly list now?

very very sinister indeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I am

Ahhh my mistake. When you said NIE I assumed otherwise

johnire wrote: »
    Great news. Do people who are purposely deciding not to get the vaccine seriously expect not to be treated differently to us responsibly minded people?

I am planning to get it, I just don't know when, and lists are a bad idea.

At the end of the day these vaccines are new, they've not had any long term tests, usually they take years to go through all the procedures.

I don't see why young healthy people should need to get it once the older and vulnerables are vaccinated anyway - at the end of the day once these groups are vaccinated hospitals won't get overwhelmed, and this is the main reason for restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Yeah right, why does the majority on here who post about upcoming travels, have to end their post ad nauseum with crap, like lifes for living, don't regret a thing etc. etc. Who are you trying to convince? Yourselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

I am planning to get it, I just don't know when, and lists are a bad idea.

At the end of the day these vaccines are new, they've not had any long term tests, usually they take years to go through all the procedures.

I don't see why young healthy people should need to get it once the older and vulnerables are vaccinated anyway - at the end of the day once these groups are vaccinated hospitals won't get overwhelmed, and this is the main reason for restrictions.

A load of money and resources have been thrown at this, they had been working on this for years previously since sars etc, this is why they turned it around so quickly, do you really think this is likely to more dangerous than the danger that you might react to getting covid yourself, which lets be honest gas now had lots of testing and the results are bad

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I do understand the serious excitement of those wishing to leave this country (or who have already left!) for a trip or four or more.

My feeling on the matter is just go, tell no one, I for one don't really care what you do, irresponsibly I may add. Unless it is for business or other compassionate reasons, people should just stay home for a while, awful as that is to some people's freedoms. You are not admired by me anyway.

And I speak as someone who is fortunate enough to be able to travel anywhere I want, but won't until things settle down.

Sorry if that came across as harsh, and I know we are on a specific thread. Read the title though!

Still a no entry list whatever way you look at it.
    What other reason would they share it...should I expect to be denied entry to Ireland if I am on that list ?

You are literally the only person thats mentioning a no entry list. You are literally the only person reading it that way.

Conspiracy theories are elsehwhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Yeah right, why does the majority on here who post about upcoming travels, have to end their post ad nauseum with crap, like lifes for living, don't regret a thing etc. etc. Who are you trying to convince? Yourselves?

Jesus, how sad are you to post this? :D

'Living for it' = Can't wait, should I not be excited like many others who've taken the plunge to head away given it is a travel thread?

The last 9 months have been absolutely shyte, Christmas for me and many others I imagine was crap, everything is doom and gloom should you tune into the news and for me, the holiday will be a fresh break.

Convinced myself a long time ago to do it, buzzing for it, can't wait ;)

Jesus, how sad are you to post this? :D

'Living for it' = Can't wait, should I not be excited like many others who've taken the plunge to head away given it is a travel thread?

The last 9 months have been absolutely shyte, Christmas for me and many others I imagine was crap, everything is doom and gloom should you tune into the news and for me, the holiday will be a fresh break.

Convinced myself a long time ago to do it, buzzing for it, can't wait ;)

Enjoy, I got back last night from Lanzarote. Took all necessary precautions and will continue to do so by restricting movements. Myself and herself both live alone and have our own bubble so our risk level would be low.

Feeling reenergised after it and ready to hit the ground running for a busy 2021. The situation was better when I left, but be aware there will be the odd snide remark.

You know your own risk appetite and level so fcuk the begrudgers I say and go guilt free.

Live with it. I, like many others, have had a long year, kept myself uncontaminated, understand how an aircraft is safer than a metro, and want something nice.

No need to be nasty. I think most people on this thread recognise that living in a tiny bubble (or mindset) is not the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

SnowyMay wrote: »
    Live with it. I, like many others, have had a long year, kept myself uncontaminated, understand how an aircraft is safer than a metro, and want something nice.

No need to be nasty. I think most people on this thread recognise that living in a tiny bubble (or mindset) is not the answer.

I really wouldn't waste my time if I were you. Every post from this individual is littered with condescending nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

You will always sadly have people in our society who begrudge others constantly to make themselves feel that little bit more upbeat about themselves in the process. You have to feel some sympathy for these people, they probably had no significant life on a daily basis even before coronavirus hit our shores in March. They have to be nasty and condescending in order to get a online buzz out of the misery we are all going through. Best to ignore these people, they thrive off the attention and the lockdown misery.

I'm going to Lanzarote in over two weeks and I personally have no regrets about my decision. I would advise people on here not to tell many people they know, because people tend to act like a lynch mob at the moment, very thirsty for blood no matter who you are or what drama they cause in the process.

Go and enjoy yourselves and don't let anything or anyone hold you back. 2021 needs to be a different year and you can make a difference by returning to some form of normality, despite what the haters say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Well said RobitTV. I just took a look in here tonight thinking there might be interesting posts from the international minded, as there so often are. Instead I found myself cringing. A poster pontificating about the "responsible minded," another boasting he /she can go anywhere they like but virtuously chooses not to.

While differing opinions are always healthy and these are challenging times and challenging times tend to polarise opinions, it's hard not to be disgusted by naked begrudgery and cringeworthy virtue signalling.

People need to do their own risk assessment and make up their own minds. And to those who are managing to get away, enjoy and make the most! Life is too short for this constant misery. :pac:

I am keeping a close eye on the situation in Norway, they are pretty strict (can't blame them, they've done a lot better than ****show Sweden)

I was booked to go to Tromso last summer, sadly I think summer 2021 won't be possible either, the good news is we have an extra year to save for a great trip there in 2022 .. might even throw in a trip to Svalbard too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I am keeping a close eye on the situation in Norway, they are pretty strict (can't blame them, they've done a lot better than ****show Sweden)

I was booked to go to Tromso last summer, sadly I think summer 2021 won't be possible either, the good news is we have an extra year to save for a great trip there in 2022 .. might even throw in a trip to Svalbard too :)

A random trip like Tromso would be a great way to celebrate getting out of this pandemic.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    A random trip like Tromso would be a great way to celebrate getting out of this pandemic.

Been planning it for a while, ever since going to Iceland some years ago , I love the North .... and want to see the midnight sun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

It's much the same as people whinging about pubs being closed.

Some people have so little contentment in their lives that they need a constant stream of stuff, events and trips away to feel like they are alive.

Gotta fill up that Facebook stream!

Flew back to Spain today. Flight 80% full. Airport was the busiest I’ve seen it all year but it was still dead. Nice to see the blue sky again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I'm flying back to Ireland on Saturday after 3 weeks in Greece.
    My flight is through Amsterdam and although I'm only transiting for 90 minutes (so pretty much out of one plane, passport control and into the. next) I have to do a PCR test 72 hours before my arrival to Amsterdam. I had to double check, but the airline (in this case KLM) clearly mentions that this applies to transfer passenger too and staff are instructed to deny boarding.
    Just sharing this so people are aware that restrictions seem to be getting tougher and the airlines won't always notify you early enough so the onus is on the passenger to do so.

The good thing is that (if I read the gov.ie document correctly) having this negative PCR test means that I can bypass the guideline of 14 days restricted movements - unless of course this changes today with the new government announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Heading back to work on Saturday, checked the flight loads, 5 flights all full to the permitted 60% capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Frustrating they are bringing back this 5km nonsense again. Just creates such trouble and inconvenience for people. Luckily I have my COVID test booked in a location that is close to me.

I hope the private bus companies continue to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fade Into You

It's like the government are trying to get the population to wear masks.
    I'm sure the majority of people will be wearing masks.

Irish Aris wrote: »

The good thing is that (if I read the gov.ie document correctly) having this negative PCR test means that I can bypass the guideline of 14 days restricted movements - unless of course this changes today with the new government announcement.

Health guidelines also say you have to eat 5 fruit and veg a day too but no one comes knocking on your door to make sure you do either ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

It's much the same as people whinging about pubs being closed.

Some people have so little contentment in their lives that they need a constant stream of stuff, events and trips away to feel like they are alive.

Gotta fill up that Facebook stream!

And let's not get started on the crowd who have to go to concerts and weddings and festivals to feel alive. And imagine the crowd who have to have parties for birthdays and anniversaries and all that madness! And the crowd that go off to matches, roaring and balling like psychos. Jaysus they're unreal altogether :eek: And what about those lunatics who have to go off and get married themselves and even have babies ffs! And then they go putting it all on facebook :eek::eek:

Definitely life is way better in my cave, just existing until the day I pop my clogs. Something very wrong with these nutters who say they must "live."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement