Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Just got my test done at Randox at the airport. The place was mobbed but the line moves quickly.

Just waiting in my hotel for the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

TomSweeney wrote: »
    How much did you pay for the PCR tests roughly ?

seems to depend on the airline, I have colleagues that flew on Vueling and could get them for €40

Apologies TomSweeney, only seeing your message now.
    In Greece the PCR test costs 60 EUR. Similar to RocDoc and Randox in Dublin Airport there is a facility in the Athens Airport that's open all day and send results next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

What sort of a crowd is there in PDC? Would it be mostly couples or small groups? I’m thinking of going for 2 or 3 weeks alone to work remotely and would probably prefer if it was quiet.

I was there for 3 weeks i work remotely its mainly eldery couples not so busy

I was due to go back now delayed because I test positive for covid at the dublin airport test centre plan to return after my 10 isolation probably this weekend.
    The wifi can be dodgy in many places especially if you need Zoom

It was my first time there cant wait to return

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

KLM are stopping people at the departure gates and not letting them on unless they have a recent negative test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Was swabbed at 17.00 yesterday, results came at 10.30 this morning. All good.

Can certainly recommend Randox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Does anybody know if antigen test will still suffice for the Canaries?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Acosta wrote: »
    KLM are stopping people at the departure gates and not letting them on unless they have a recent negative test.

I can also confirm that. In my case they actually started checking for the test in the check in counter/baggage drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Does anybody know if antigen test will still suffice for the Canaries?

Until the 10th, after then it's PCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Arrived in Spain this week. No test required as we are still on their safe list. Milder temperatures and golf courses open - a really great mental break from the madness at home.

Personally I like their idea of a Curfew as a very targeted measure to reduce household mixing and house parties (amongst other things) known to be significant contributors to spread. I also believe their balanced and nuanced approach to measures have ensured a wider societal buy in for longer term restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Whats the view on this summer ?... should be ok to book flights from June surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭applejunkie

Mr.S wrote: »
    Not that I know of. Randox have a site in Leopardstown if South Dublin is easier.

You wouldn't happen to know where about in Leopardstown this is would you ?
    Need to book a test for work but i don't drive so was planning on taking the luas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Whats the view on this summer ?... should be ok to book flights from June surely?

In terms of a normal summer, probably not but you will still be able to book flights, just depends what you want from a travel experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,231 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Need to book a test for work but i don't drive so was planning on taking the luas

Clayton Hotel, Central Park, Leopardstown

https://www.randox.com/express-covid19-service-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I was thinking about changing my dates (again) last night, only to discover that Ryanair want a €110 euro fee. No way will I be changing it now.

I do feel slightly guilty about going abroad to Lanzarote when the cases are rising. But I'm going to a destination which is significantly safer than Ireland and I will be getting a Covid test done.

I'm not paying Ryanair another penny, they have hoovered up enough of my cash.

On the way home I might get a cheap antigen test done In Lanzarote, just so I will know I will be keeping people safe in Ireland when I return.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

LuasSimon wrote: »

booked Portugal villa for two weeks from end school term in june, feckers better not tag on a few extra weeks of school as iv told the kids we are going on hls

RobitTV wrote: »
    I was thinking about changing my dates (again) last night, only to discover that Ryanair want a €110 euro fee. No way will I be changing it now.

I do feel slightly guilty about going abroad to Lanzarote when the cases are rising. But I'm going to a destination which is significantly safer than Ireland and I will be getting a Covid test done.

I'm not paying Ryanair another penny, they have hoovered up enough of my cash.

On the way home I might get a cheap antigen test done In Lanzarote, just so I will know I will be keeping people safe in Ireland when I return.

It was estimated us to hit 2000 cases a day mid January. I never in my wildest imagination thought things would get as bad as they have done here. I say you should go a step further and take the PCR test and then go off and enjoy Lanzarote guilt free.

We are a hotzone here right now. It's not a great place to be.

booked Portugal villa for two weeks from end school term in june, feckers better not tag on a few extra weeks of school as iv told the kids we are going on hls

Thats the risk you take with booking so far ahead in the current context. I only booked my Lanzarote accommodation after I had taken the Covid test which was less than 48 hours before travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I was estimated us to hit 2000 cases a day mid January. I never in my wildest imagination thought things would get as bad as they have done hear. I say you should go a step further and take the PCR test and then go off and enjoy Lanzarote guilt free.

We are a hotzone here right now. It's not a great place to be.

I would honestly feel much safer being in Lanzarote and more confident going outside. Right now in Ireland the positivity rate is surging and the number of cases are very high.

I have my PCR test booked two days before I depart. I'm isolating away from people at the moment until I depart.

I'm hopeful everything goes to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Its in The Clayton Hotel, Central Park which has its own Luas stop. Hotel is 2 minutes walk from the stop.

The unions have been pretty clear that extension of the school term to compensate for the closure is a compete non runner, so I wouldn’t be too worried

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Pope has spoken
    https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/pope-flying-covid-intl-scli/index.html

Oh and Lanszarote hit 12 degs talked to a friend tonight very rare maybe the pope power but cold sure

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭applejunkie

Anyone having trouble booking a test on the Randox website? Been trying since last night and it just keeps saying pick another time . I've even went to say 10 days time where there's loads of availability but still the same

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

The unions have been pretty clear that extension of the school term to compensate for the closure is a compete non runner, so I wouldn’t be too worried

That's what i'm hoping for. I am praying the teachers get their 3 months in the summer. :D

Anyone having trouble booking a test on the Randox website? Been trying since last night and it just keeps saying pick another time . I've even went to say 10 days time where there's loads of availability but still the same

i think that means the slots are already booked. We had this issue looking for tests before Christmas with Randox, never got one in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

If they shut everything down apart from supermarkets, and takeaways and off licences for the essential fast food and booze, you'd be mad not to book a trip away. You'll even have time to self-isolate when you come back before returning to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

GazzaL wrote: »
    If they shut everything down apart from supermarkets, and takeaways and off licences for the essential fast food and booze, you'd be mad not to book a trip away. You'll even have time to self-isolate when you come back before returning to work.

Maybe, you’ll need a negative PCR test before coming home now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Maybe, you’ll need a negative PCR test before coming home now though.

If you have the PCR test, do you still need to self-isolate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

GazzaL wrote: »
    If you have the PCR test, do you still need to self-isolate?

In most countries, no. For Ireland though it seems you still have to, another one 5 days after you get home though means you can stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

I’m seriously considering booking canaries holiday for end of this month with the kids.....wife feels guilty me even mentioning the idea but from a purely logical point of view we’ll be tested over and back as well as in a safer place than Ireland right now.....are Gran Canaria, lanzarote etc operating a half decent (covid safe) tourist industry right now e.g. restaurants open and kids allowed in a swimming pool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I was all for people travelling at the beginning of all this but how would it be affordable now with tests on both ends?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement