Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I was all for people travelling at the beginning of all this but how would it be affordable now with tests on both ends?

My thoughts exactly. And the answer is it won't. And it will be a further nail in the coffin of tourism and aviation and the fate of the small airports. Only the well off or those without families might afford it. Add in the additional hassle of sorting out tests in a narrow window, as we see posters already talking mentioning here, and loads just won't bother.

The only hope is that such measures will be short term and solved eventually by the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

This is a huge blow. I can understand the need to protect people with having a negative covid certificate upon arrival. But the price of these PCR tests is just absurd, charging over €100-150 for one single test.

Now you will have to pay for two overpriced tests. So you could be paying between €200-250 just for one person, never mind family members!

The level of greed out there is shocking, even during a pandemic they always make room for a profit.

The government should be working with the airport authorities to ensure safe travel and cheap testing. They should of done this back in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

RobitTV wrote: »
    This is a huge blow. I can understand the need to protect people with having a negative covid certificate upon arrival. But the price of these PCR tests is just absurd, charging over €100-150 for one single test.

Now you will have to pay for two overpriced tests. So you could be paying between €200-250 just for one person, never mind family members!

The level of greed out there is shocking, even during a pandemic they always make room for a profit.

The government should be working with the airport authorities to ensure safe travel and cheap testing. They should of done this back in March.

There should have been a blanket ban on all passenger aircraft since around 14-20th February with the entire Irish army deployed along the border to Northern Ireland, shoot to kill if necessary, one or two border jumping deaths would have saved hundreds or thousands of lives, a 90 year old is the same as an 19 year old, life is life.

By mid-May there could have been a strict regime in place, off the plane to a secure hotel/style-prison quarantine camp for 2 weeks after multiple negative tests.

Life would be back to normal and we would live in our own bubble much like we did in World War II, no lockdowns, yes an economic hit but far less than this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

:rolleyes: um yeah anyway....

If Primetime is a barometer of Ireland right now, those who can should flee somewhere else. Lockdown will be sticking for months at the worst time of year.

I have friends who have hired apartments for a few months in Mediterranean countries and just working from home there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭quokula

RobitTV wrote: »

There's absolutely no reason for the government to be subsidising travel when there are so many more pressing matters. Nobody should be travelling unless they really need to, and if the tests are expensive enough to make them think twice then that is only a good thing. Don't want to pay for expensive tests? Then stay at home, and let the testing resources go to people more in need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Why not stop all but essential travel through ports and airports.
    Who really needs to be going anywhere on holidays just now?
    During the first lockdown the amount of british reg vehicles I noticed was ridiculous. Close our border including the one with northern ireland and just discourage people from coming in.
    I love travel and wouldn't deny anyone the chance to see the world but let's sort this mess out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

faceman wrote: »
    :rolleyes: um yeah anyway....

If Primetime is a barometer of Ireland right now, those who can should flee somewhere else. Lockdown will be sticking for months at the worst time of year.

I have friends who have hired apartments for a few months in Mediterranean countries and just working from home there.

What was said on Primetime tonight? I missed it.

It looks like we are going to be living with these tough restrictions for many, many months to come :(

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I’m currently 2 weeks into a 3 week holiday in Andalucia. Plenty of Irish with second homes out here. Plenty of remote workers from EU states. AirBnB prices are ridiculously low as they were in Italy for a trip in August.
    I normally reside in Stockholm so holidaying in both those countries were going somewhere with more restrictions but the holidays felt great.
    Heavy discounts on accommodation and car rental. I visited the colosseum in Rome which barely had a smattering of people around it, the same with the amalfi coast and La Alhambra in Granada. It’s a special time to travel. Service staff in touristy spots seem more patient and less jaded. No requirements to book in advance for really good restaurants normally.
    I’ll probably curtail the trips now until next Spring or Summer but I’m glad I went this year. I’ve had around six flights cancelled throughout the year to various destinations which were all refunded. It has involved a greater degree of flexibility at times.
    I would not be too keen on getting that q-tip stuck into the underbelly of my brain again that was required to gain access to Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

going to lanzorte the weekend got asyptomatic covid think on a plane coming from there wont have known only for the 72hr test before flying which we have and probably the dearest in Europe no surprise there
    I will exit my 10 day isolation friday evening without any syptoms so far, and all going well so a lockdown is pointless for me because i have immunity just like the orther 80% who got infected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

During the first lockdown the amount of british reg vehicles I noticed was ridiculous. Close our border including the one with northern ireland and just discourage people from coming in.
    I love travel and wouldn't deny anyone the chance to see the world but let's sort this mess out first.

Not everyone travelling through an airport or port is going on holiday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

This is what I feared, travel will be unaffordable with 800-1000 euro being added to a return trip for a family of 4 - not that I want to travel now, but does anyone think these PCR test requirments will go ? even after most people are vaccinated ?

doubt it somehow ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

quokula wrote: »
    There's absolutely no reason for the government to be subsidising travel when there are so many more pressing matters. Nobody should be travelling unless they really need to, and if the tests are expensive enough to make them think twice then that is only a good thing. Don't want to pay for expensive tests? Then stay at home, and let the testing resources go to people more in need.

Agreed for now. The problem is that this will continue once this is over, just like the plastic bag nonsense to prevent explosives

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

I was booked to go on a flight last week wont have known I had covid if i didnt do a test if I did go maybe i would have infected someone i value that more than the cost but yes for a family of 4 150 a pop each way obviously cheaper elsewhere for your return

This is what I feared, travel will be unaffordable with 800-1000 euro being added to a return trip for a family of 4 - not that I want to travel now, but does anyone think these PCR test requirments will go ? even after most people are vaccinated ?

doubt it somehow ..

Why on earth would it mean that? Unless the Govt plan to totally destroy Irish aviation what possible justification could there be in prolonging this any longer than is strictly necessary?

Let's not join the lunatics and zealots that have ambushed this thread since the news of this latest travel restriction with unfounded negativity!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Hi quick practical question:
    i have to travel to the Netherlands for a medical exam (not covid related), I'd be flying in and out on the same day. Would a PCR test done here in Ireland within 72h of departure cover me for both legs of the trip? I would assume so given that there wouldnt be time to do another one there and get the results in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

doubt it somehow ..

Well as the vaccine is rolled out & case numbers fall, the traffic light system should apply so if we drop to orange or green, depending on the destination, a pcr test may not be required, we are travelling in June & September, I’m expecting to have to factor in a test

Even vaccinated people may still possibly transmit the virus, it that turns out to be true then pre flight testing will be around for quite the while, hopefully they become cheaper.

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Hi quick practical question:
    i have to travel to the Netherlands for a medical exam (not covid related), I'd be flying in and out on the same day. Would a PCR test done here in Ireland within 72h of departure cover me for both legs of the trip? I would assume so given that there wouldnt be time to do another one there and get the results in time.

Yep, you’re grand

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

TallyRand wrote: »
    I’m seriously considering booking canaries holiday for end of this month with the kids.....wife feels guilty me even mentioning the idea but from a purely logical point of view we’ll be tested over and back as well as in a safer place than Ireland right now.....are Gran Canaria, lanzarote etc operating a half decent (covid safe) tourist industry right now e.g. restaurants open and kids allowed in a swimming pool

Things a pretty good in lanzarote in general, Puerto del Carmen by far the busiest resort in the island. Lots of places have reduced their opening hours since Christmas is over as it is quieter now, still a few bars with live music every night, plenty of options for food anyway. Bars close in all islands i think at 12. I don't know about the pools for kids but as far as I know they are working as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

quokula wrote: »

Who mentioned anything about subsidising? How about stopping private firms from ripping off those adhering to regulations set by the gov?

Tazz T wrote: »
    Who mentioned anything about subsidising? How about stopping private firms from ripping off those adhering to regulations set by the gov?

Brilliantly put but the finger waggers and the zealots are too busy enjoying this.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I need advice, please.

This latest round of hysteria, this latest "emergency" Cabinet meeting to tighten the noose of restrictions even further has me realising that no way can I endure a 2021 like 2020. I have loved ones abroad and before this pandemic would be travelling every few months. Being able to do so has has been my deal breaker to living in Ireland. I lived abroad for many years though I'm Irish.

So now I'm wondering if I should use my Ryanair credit from last year and book flights for later in the year. Easter at earliest or if that's too early, maybe June. Prices are very good at the moment so maybe it's the time to do it. What do people think?

Secondly I'm in the south of the country and always used Cork/Shannon/Kerry. Is it better to fly from Dublin to minimise the risk of flight cancellations? Also, does anybody know if there are facilities for testing down south? Plenty in Dublin but I'd prefer to get my test near home and travel to Dublin on the day.

acequion wrote: »
    I need advice, please.

This latest round of hysteria, this latest "emergency" Cabinet meeting to tighten the noose of restrictions even further has me realising that no way can I endure a 2021 like 2020. I have loved ones abroad and before this pandemic would be travelling every few months. Being able to do so has has been my deal breaker to living in Ireland. I lived abroad for many years though I'm Irish.

So now I'm wondering if I should use my Ryanair credit from last year and book flights for later in the year. Easter at earliest or if that's too early, maybe June. Prices are very good at the moment so maybe it's the time to do it. What do people think?

Secondly I'm in the south of the country and always used Cork/Shannon/Kerry. Is it better to fly from Dublin to minimise the risk of flight cancellations? Also, does anybody know if there are facilities for testing down south? Plenty in Dublin but I'd prefer to get my test near home and travel to Dublin on the day.

I'll assume you are somewhere in Kerry/Cork or Limerick in which case I'd recommend the Randox test in either Limerick or Cork as it is also the most affordable I have seen at €99.

After 10 out of 12 flight cancellations last October and November I'd recommend Ryanair from Dublin as the most likely to keep flying, try go to busier routes on flights that are less likely to get cancelled last minute. British Airways and Easyjet both left me down bad. With Brexit and the UK travel ban don't fly via the UK, a better alternative might be an intra-EU train journey even, e.g fly into a busy hub like Paris and get the train onwards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

https://www.bonsecours.ie/bst_selfreferralform

Bon Secours in Tralee are doing test for €80.

H8GHOTI wrote: »

Bon Secours in Tralee are doing test for €80.

Thanks for your reply but is that test valid for travel purposes? Because another poster said it isn't, that they're not issuing the required certification. Which is bizarre imo, why have a private test facility if not fit for all purposes??

Can anybody clarify please? What about the the other Bon Secours around the country? Are their tests valid? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Oh right, haven’t been keeping up with the thread.

If was launched last month specially for people returning for Christmas according to Kerry airport website:
    https://kerryairport.ie/website/kerry-airport-bon-secours-hospital-tralee-provide-covid-19-tests-for-air-passengers/

Strange that it isn’t valid then. But I don’t know. Haven’t heard of the other Bons hospitals doing tests, except for patients of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,529 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I agree travel ban everywhere unless essential

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Oh right, haven’t been keeping up with the thread.

If was launched last month specially for people returning for Christmas according to Kerry airport website:
    https://kerryairport.ie/website/kerry-airport-bon-secours-hospital-tralee-provide-covid-19-tests-for-air-passengers/

Strange that it isn’t valid then. But I don’t know. Haven’t heard of the other Bons hospitals doing tests, except for patients of course.

It was only one poster saying it I think. But your link seems to clearly indicate that it is valid. Which certainly makes sense and I had heard that Kerry airport were offering a facility near the airport which had to be The Bons in Tralee. That's great if that's the case.

Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

March 2020 called.... They want to know if they can use your idea?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

acequion wrote: »
    Brilliantly put but the finger waggers and the zealots are too busy enjoying this.:rolleyes:

So everybody who doesn`t agree with your biased opinions is a "finger wagging zealot"? OK so.:rolleyes::(

• Advertisement

I called them up and the Bons test is valid for Travel you just need to specify that when booking with both a hard copy and emailed version of the results available after. I spoke to them now and they were very helpful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement