Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

They have said people that arrive in with no negative test result will possibly be fined or imprisoned. Can they do this without new legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

That's it, the country has finally broken me.
    I'm off to Lanzarote for a fortnight next weekend, hopefully lockdown is ending when I get back

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

I'm off to Lanzarote for a fortnight next weekend, hopefully lockdown is ending when I get back

You won't regret it. A nice break from the hysteria. Just follow any local guidelines and travel advice and you are essentially at no further risk to yourself or anyone else both home or abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

theguzman wrote: »
    https://www.bonsecours.ie/bst_selfreferralform

I called them up and the Bons test is valid for Travel you just need to specify that when booking with both a hard copy and emailed version of the results available after. I spoke to them now and they were very helpful.

Thanks for doing that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Better weather, even safer, and a nice change of scenery. Have a great trip!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    March 2020 called.... They want to know if they can use your idea?

March 2021 called they want to know if they can get a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I agree travel ban everywhere unless essential

Think you missed the thread title and subject matter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Acosta wrote: »
    They have said people that arrive in with no negative test result will possibly be fined or imprisoned. Can they do this without new legislation?

Nope. They can’t.

They may enforce a fine but given how they have been with enforcement in other areas I think they probably face a larger minefield by trying to enforce this on Irish citizens flying to Ireland.

However I’m not in the legal field so this is my armchair observation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

March 2021 called they want to know if they can get a refund.

Care to transfer your booking to March 2022 Sir?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Acosta wrote: »
    faceman wrote: »
    Nope. They can’t.

They may enforce a fine but given how they have been with enforcement in other areas I think they probably face a larger minefield by trying to enforce this on Irish citizens flying to Ireland.

However I’m not in the legal field so this is my armchair observation

They won't be fined because they won't be getting on the plane outside to come to Ireland, airline staff are treating proof of a covid test the same to having a visa and you will be denied boarding without it. I saw some old dears getting a fierce hard time from Ryanair in November as they had not printed off the Spanish Passenger locator form, they had to do it up before boarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

Fair play.
    I have booked flights to Canaries.
    I know there are plenty of reports saying chances of catching COVID in planes is remote, what are people’s experience of the flight abroad like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Going via Belfast is going to become very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Chiarrai92

acequion wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply but is that test valid for travel purposes? Because another poster said it isn't, that they're not issuing the required certification. Which is bizarre imo, why have a private test facility if not fit for all purposes??

Can anybody clarify please? What about the the other Bon Secours around the country? Are their tests valid? Thanks.

I flew from Dublin to Berlin before Xmas and the bons tralee emailed me my cert 6 hours after my PCR test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Going via Belfast is going to become very popular.

I thought so too until British Airways pulled the plug on all my flights booked a few weeks back. There is very little choice of destinations out of Belfast's two airports and arriving passengers from the UK are even bigger pariahs than from Ireland, Belfast to London and having to maybe overnight on an unconnected transfer, lots of possibility for things to go wrong. You need to seriously know what your doing and be prepared for expensive contingency plans.

I'm not far off going again to be honest. Sunny skies, blue seas and **** all mention of Covid. You will not regret a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

noserider wrote: »
    Fair play.
    I know there are plenty of reports saying chances of catching COVID in planes is remote, what are people’s experience of the flight abroad like?

Absolutely fine. No trolleys - so bring a snack & water if you must.
    The flight I was on had only 33 people on it - capacity of 180... and the return flight was similar.
    I have been on many many flights in my life, but I felt like a total child as the plane took off. The excitement of take off! I have never been so happy to leave the country. I was pure depressed returning.
    Re catching covid on planes - the IATA did a study in October last year if you fancy a bit of reading: https://www.iata.org/en/pressroom/pr/2020-10-16-02/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

theguzman wrote: »
    They won't be fined because they won't be getting on the plane outside to come to Ireland, airline staff are treating proof of a covid test the same to having a visa and you will be denied boarding without it. I saw some old dears getting a fierce hard time from Ryanair in November as they had not printed off the Spanish Passenger locator form, they had to do it up before boarding.

Weird. I’ve flown to Spain a few times with Ryanair and not once did they ask to see the Spanish passenger locator form. In fact no one I know has been asked by an airline to produce it.

You’re possibly right about the preboard request but again I doubt the Irish government will go that far with airlines.

noserider wrote: »
    Fair play.

The experience now is different to last summer. Airports are dead but flights are near full because there are so few of them. Social distancing gets sketchy during the boarding process

Onboard, masks must be worn properly. If you see someone flouting the rules, tell the crew, they will address it.

Catering is still provided but it’s card payment only.

Seatbelt sign stays on throughput the flight

Generally speaking flying has become more pleasant than it used to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Will a positive Antigen test be accepted as a Negative Test in the future I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

I'm not far off going again to be honest. Sunny skies, blue seas and **** all mention of Covid. You will not regret a bit.

Sunny skies, blue seas, sweaty facemasks, deserted beaches and bars, no social interaction or atmosphere and topped off by being in the midst of only coffin dodgers walking around with a facade of holiday bliss but actually dying inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Sunny skies, blue seas, sweaty facemasks, deserted beaches and bars, no social interaction or atmosphere and topped off by being in the midst of only coffin dodgers walking around with a facade of holiday bliss but actually dying inside.

No need to travel abroad for sun, with rays of sunshine like yourself here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

https://www.seemallorca.com/webcams/port-de-soller

https://www.palma.co.uk/portixolwebcam.php

https://www.seemallorca.com/webcams/port-de-pollensa

https://www.palma.co.uk/canpastillawebcam-3.php

Not this weekend. With the exception of the canaries it’s either raining or snowing in most of Spain today. It’s currently 5c in my neighbourhood and pissing rain all night. Will stay like this till Tuesday.

Even in Spain we have duvet days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Not this weekend. With the exception of the canaries it’s either raining or snowing in most of Spain today. It’s currently 5c in my neighbourhood and pissing rain all night. Will stay like this till Tuesday.

And it' the most amazing day in Kerry. Wall to wall blue sky. :D But an absolute rarity in these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

off sunday one way ticket nothing here can WFH why is your nan sick because siblings ignored warnings a lot of irresponsibile behavior going on around while most were careful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Weird. I’ve flown to Spain a few times with Ryanair and not once did they ask to see the Spanish passenger locator form. In fact no one I know has been asked by an airline to produce it.

You’re possibly right about the preboard request but again I doubt the Irish government will go that far with airlines.

I think you are right about the plf - on my latest flight from Greece to Ireland via Amsterdam, there was only an announcement before boarding that the Irish plf is mandatory and advised people to complete it before arriving.
    it seems to be stricter when it comes to the negative pcr requirement. I was asked for it before boarding - and in one case actually when I dropped my baggage in the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Has a really quite travel year, hope that 2021 is better.

538675.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Will a positive Antigen test be accepted as a Negative Test in the future I wonder?

You mean a Positive Antibody test?
    A positive Antigen test would indicate a current infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

smurfjed wrote: »
    Has a really quite travel year, hope that 2021 is better.

538675.jpeg

Wtf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Colder than a witches tit here...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement