Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

You mean a Positive Antibody test?
    A positive Antigen test would indicate a current infection.

Err - yea lets go with that!

I wonder if a positive antibody will be accepted as an "ok to travel" cert in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Wtf?

Pilot or works in aviation or something, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Anybody been to V1medical for an antigen test? Have a very nervous child After looking at all the testing images on the news and we’re all booked in for a test tomorrow. Is it nasal swab or saliva does anybody know?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Anybody been to V1medical for an antigen test? Have a very nervous child After looking at all the testing images on the news and we’re all booked in for a test tomorrow. Is it nasal swab or saliva does anybody know?

Nasal swab but they are very nice to deal with and it is over in a flash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Having a PCR test in Italy tomorrow before we fly (not mandatory) for the princely sum of €70.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Talguetler wrote: »
    Having a PCR test in Italy tomorrow before we fly (not mandatory) for the princely sum of €70.

That is very expensive for Italy when you think of what they earn compared to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Testing required entering spain from next monday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

johnire wrote: »
    Why the need for all this testing when a core group of people on this forum have consistently maintained for the last 9 months that air travel is safe and travel in no way spreads the virus? Just asking.....

Because countries don't want to import more virus? As safe as airplanes are they're not going to suck the virus out of passengers en route.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

There are some reports but how reliable hard to know still to many unkowns with this pandemic
    i got it I suspect from a plane and a packed one at that some would say you derseve it for travelling

Travelling this weekend after my symptom free 10 day isolation this time i have some immunity on my side but then again that another unknown about this unknow virus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Do we know if we will be getting a "passport" to show that we have been vaccinated and will this suffice to travel to countries that require a test?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Do we know if we will be getting a "passport" to show that we have been vaccinated and will this suffice to travel to countries that require a test?

most likely will have a card or stamp in your passport, I doubt the EU will be able to agree to add that data to passports so they can be scanned at the various borders...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    most likely will have a card or stamp in your passport, I doubt the EU will be able to agree to add that data to passports so they can be scanned at the various borders...

The trouble with the stamp is that many EU citizens don’t even have a passport and just use their national ID card to travel. The Italian Carta Di Identita is a flimsy laminated piece of paper like our old drivers licences.

Maybe travel within the EU will be allowed without anything when numbers reduce down again like last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Some counties have already included a Health Passport in their COVID APP.

538778.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

smurfjed wrote: »
    Some counties have already included a Health Passport in their COVID APP

Yeap, something like this but more modern of course, maybe an EU app on your phone scanned at the border?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Certificate_of_Vaccination_or_Prophylaxis#/media/File:Yellow_fever_certificate.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

agoodpunt wrote: »
    There are some reports but how reliable hard to know still to many unkowns with this pandemic
    i got it I suspect from a plane and a packed one at that some would say you derseve it for travelling

Travelling this weekend after my symptom free 10 day isolation this time i have some immunity on my side but then again that another unknown about this unknow virus

Not anymore: https://www.journalofinfection.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0163-4453%2820%2930781-7

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Yes I agree- my point is though that it's been consistently said on this forum that travel doesn't spread the virus.

Pretty much every social interaction spreads the virus- some much more than others.

Sitting in pubs, restaurants and even your parents kitchen's has been proven a big spreader over Christmas. Flying on a plane where people are wearing masks, a good filtration system is in place and in most cases now all other passengers have to have a negative test result is far less dangerous than many situations.

The problem is if people fly off safely and then don't follow the guidelines they are likely to bring home unwanted souvenirs, which is still fine as long as they follow the current guidelines. The problem always lies with idiots who won't do as they are advised.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree completely with you. It begs the question though why did people feel it so necessary to travel for the last 9 months or so when these tests weren't mandatory? The constant rhetoric on this forum was that international travel wasn't dangerous etc etc.... by these tests becoming mandatory it certainly makes it a lot safer.

Pretty much every social interaction spreads the virus- some much more than others.

Sitting in pubs, restaurants and even your parents kitchen's has been proven a big spreader over Christmas. Flying on a plane where people are wearing masks, a good filtration system is in place and in most cases now all other passengers have to have a negative test result is far less dangerous than many situations.

The problem is if people fly off safely and then don't follow the guidelines they are likely to bring home unwanted souvenirs, which is still fine as long as they follow the current guidelines. The problem always lies with idiots who won't do as they are advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Thinking of booking family holiday for July, anyone any thoughts on ability to go then?

It's to Portugal - hotel require 30% deposit, but I'd hold off on flights etc.

Can move deposit into a August booking if required, but would like to go in July.

Just not sure what state we'll be in by then, vaccinations, ability to travel etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Thinking of booking family holiday for July, anyone any thoughts on ability to go then?

It's to Portugal - hotel require 30% deposit, but I'd hold off on flights etc.

Can move deposit into a August booking if required, but would like to go in July.

Just not sure what state we'll be in by then, vaccinations, ability to travel etc...

What do you mean by 'ability to go then'?
    You can go next week if you want.

• Advertisement

What is the situation with travel at the moment for those who are vaccinated? I know some people in Northern Ireland and the UK who have now received both shots of the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine, these are health care frontline workers.

Do vaccinated people need a negative PCR test? I know this is early days yet.

theguzman wrote: »
    What is the situation with travel at the moment for those who are vaccinated? I know some people in Northern Ireland and the UK who have now received both shots of the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine, these are health care frontline workers.

Do vaccinated people need a negative PCR test? I know this is early days yet.

Yes, I doubt that any airline or border staff, who will be trained to review a traveller’s PCR test results, will know what a vaccination certificate is, or will have been given a protocol to follow with respect to them. Vaccination certificates are not in the entry requirements for any country that I am aware of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Yes, I doubt that any airline or border staff, who will be trained to review a traveller’s PCR test results, will know what a vaccination certificate is, or will have been given a protocol to follow with respect to them. Vaccination certificates are not in the entry requirements for any country that I am aware of

Vaccination requirements are not that unusual, and even very strictly enforced in some cases (yellow fever for example).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccination_requirements_for_international_travel

Plenty of stories of travellers from Brazil being denied boarding (or returned on arrival) due to a lack of a yellow fever vaccine administered at least 10 days before travel.

At the moment vaccination certificates specifically for Covid aren't required for travel but for other types of disease they are required for some countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Yellow fever... loads of countries require proof of vaccination for this.

You are correct as regards Brazil and I know Paraguay insist too on tourist s being able to proof they have the yellow fever vaccine.
    embraer170 wrote: »
    Vaccination requirements are not that unusual, and even very strictly enforced in some cases (yellow fever for example).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccination_requirements_for_international_travel

Plenty of stories of travellers from Brazil being denied boarding (or returned on arrival) due to a lack of a yellow fever vaccine administered at least 10 days before travel.

You are correct as regards Brazil and I know Paraguay insist too on tourist s being able to proof they have the yellow fever vaccine.

As does Peru.
    Alot of south America and africa require this.

Just looking at the media and social media posts I have seen from vaccinated people they get a simple handwritten card with date and batch on it. It seems totally inadequate as a certificate of vaccination. I was expecting a computer printout with a QR code linked back to a central database, scan the QR code like the boarding pass and you get the all clear at the airport. Obviously this would be a low priority in the push to get vaccines out at the moment.

theguzman wrote: »
    Just looking at the media and social media posts I have seen from vaccinated people they get a simple handwritten card with date and batch on it. It seems totally inadequate as a certificate of vaccination. I was expecting a computer printout with a QR code linked back to a central database, scan the QR code like the boarding pass and you get the all clear at the airport. Obviously this would be a low priority in the push to get vaccines out at the moment.

I would doubt it intends to be cert of Vaccination. I do know I was asked to consent to "sharing my data with the HSE as part of the National COVID Vaccination Programme" before booking mine do this record is in place and I presume certs could be issued in the future. Also bear in mind anyone in Ireland has just received the first dose, a Vaccination cert would be after both doses I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,721 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I was there (Brazil). Never got any vaccine before going. There were a load of recommendations but when I asked my Brazilian friend she laughed and said I didn't need them. (That said, she might have been complacent being from there).

Edit to add: This is my first time looking at this thread in a long long time......lots of the early posts haven't aged too well!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement