Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Brother getting married in Malta at the end of the month. Cases not doing great there and for all I know there'll be no flights then. What would you do? Probably the only wedding that will ever happen in my family between the 2 of us!
    Still haven't met my nephew due to covid, he's 18 months old now.

Has to be your own call Thelonious Monk but in answer to your question, "what would you do?" I would go.

I'm just somebody who lives by the philosophy that life is short and don't put things off indefinitely. There isn't always a next year. Now I could draw ire on myself for these remarks, but asking us to put our lives on hold for a year or more is just too big an ask imo. Yes Covid is a risk, but it's a risk everywhere unless people are prepared to stay in isolation until all are vaccinated. So though I'm actually very careful about avoiding Covid in my daily life and now able to wfh, I'm no longer prepared to sacrifice the big stuff, the once in a lifetime stuff, like a loved one's wedding [though I'd only be comfortable attending a very small one]. And obviously your nephew's birth is major as well.

Your call!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Want to go from Belfast to Poland in April. Live in the Republic. Wonder if I would run into any issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Brother getting married in Malta at the end of the month. Cases not doing great there and for all I know there'll be no flights then. What would you do? Probably the only wedding that will ever happen in my family between the 2 of us!

As acequion said, your call! Also agree with not putting life on hold indefinitely. Life is just too short and you never know whats round the corner.

Go! Call your doctor when you get back and say you have symptoms and get a free test if it eases your mind.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I only decided to travel last minute and realised my EHIC had expired,
    However delighted the local HSE sent me out a nice cert to cover me in case the new card doesn't come out on time.

Very nice and fast service.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

323 wrote: »
    As acequion said, your call! Also agree with not putting life on hold indefinitely. Life is just too short and you never know whats round the corner.

Go! Call your doctor when you get back and say you have symptoms and get a free test if it eases your mind.

Why would you do that when the system is at breaking point with actual sick people who need tests? If you travel and you want a test when you get back, put your hand in your pocket and pay for it, or just stay home for 14 days.

• Advertisement

323 wrote: »

Pretty ****ty to bull**** the system. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

Go. This is a time in life you should not miss, rain or shine. Be careful and weary of the present situation in your planning and action, but go and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

Anyone in the canaries at the moment or been very recently? Looking at an Airbnb but wanted to make sure it’s “open” albeit with covid safety of course!

If I go, I’ll be getting tested over and back and will isolate so defo not worried about the worriers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Yeah I was there in August, everything was open. They opened too soon though and cases aren't great now, you can still go out for a drink or meal though, or to the gym.
    My brother got covid there and was hospitalised for a week, got his own room etc. They have an excellent healthcare system unlike us so that's probably why they are able to keep functioning somewhat.

I moved to Malta from Ireland permanently in September when they started talking about another lockdown. Working remote since March so why not.

Best move I ever made.

Cases are rising a bit as you'd expect after Christmas but there is a total absence of the bombardment of NPHET-inspired bull**** you get hit with 24/7 in Ireland.

They are strict with masks, but that's fine, a small price to pay considering everything but nightclubs is open. Landing here was like landing on Mars after leaving Dublin, you wouldn't even know a pandemic was happening.

How many are going? I think there is a cap of 100 people, unless that has been reduced recently. Any wedding venue here will roll out the red carpet for you having a wedding this month, unless they are stopped by law, which isn't likely here. If you do postpone there is a grant you can get too to cover any deposit lost.

You're right Ryanair have cancelled all flights until March 28th though. After that it's back to daily flights so they must be expecting some normality return around April.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,259 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It'll only be 10 or 12 people I think. My brother lives there with his kid and partner the last 5 years or so so I'm there regularly enough.
    There are flights going through London and other places so I might look into that. I wonder if restaurants will still be open by the end of the month though, they're looking at Bull and Caviar for the afters, don't know if you know it but it's really nice, looking over Paceville bay, I was there in August for my 40th.
    Are you sick of the traffic yet? I'm not sure I could live there, but I love visiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

TallyRand wrote: »
    Anyone in the canaries at the moment or been very recently? Looking at an Airbnb but wanted to make sure it’s “open” albeit with covid safety of course!

If I go, I’ll be getting tested over and back and will isolate so defo not worried about the worriers

In Gran Canaria now, flew in last Saturday. Antigen test with V1 Medical on the way to the airport- this was checked on boarding and at check in to villa. PCR mediatory now of course with stricter checks.
    Things are open and sitting outside having a meal (limited to 4 per table) and watching the sunset and feeling it’s warmth on my face is a real tonic.
    It is not busy but I wouldn’t want it to be.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Has anybody looked into or travelled to the UK?
    I’d hope to be able to go over and visit friends during summer months or as soon as it’s deemed ok to go tbh !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

I will travel in the summer yes (again).

100% guaranteed pubs will be still closed in Ireland in the summer. I have 4 weeks holidays booked and approved at work. So what am I gonna do? Fly away from all these stupid yellow signs, all these restrictions and no life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

In Gran Canaria now, flew in last Saturday. Antigen test with V1 Medical on the way to the airport- this was checked on boarding and at check in to villa. PCR mediatory now of course with stricter checks.
    Things are open and sitting outside having a meal (limited to 4 per table) and watching the sunset and feeling it’s warmth on my face is a real tonic.
    It is not busy but I wouldn’t want it to be.

I'd say the resorts, Puerto Rico, Playa Del Finglas and Maspalomas are almost empty though... weird atmosphere without all the holidaymakers..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Diabhalta wrote: »
    I will travel in the summer yes (again).

100% guaranteed pubs will be still closed in Ireland in the summer. I have 4 weeks holidays booked and approved at work. So what am I gonna do? Fly away from all these stupid yellow signs, all these restrictions and no life.

I'd imagine pubs will start to open in the summer, once older and vulnerables are vaccinated they should start to open em up.

:|

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I'd say the resorts, Puerto Rico, Playa Del Finglas and Maspalomas are almost empty though... weird atmosphere without all the holidaymakers..

Maspalomas/Meloneras feels busy enough. Plenty of Spanish around who would probably stir clear during high tourist season. Drove through PDI and it was a ghost town- haven’t been to Puerto Rico yet.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Was in Malaga, curfew between 10pm and I think, 7am. 10.30pm at the weekend.

was nice to watch the NFL and have a drink Sunday evening but Malage is not really that open for business. Most tourist locations are closed, about half the pubs and restaurants as well.

Still, less doom and gloom which is where you see the difference in Spain compared to Ireland I think

Was in Malaga, curfew between 10pm and I think, 7am. 10.30pm at the weekend.was nice to watch the NFL and have a drink Sunday evening but Malage is not really that open for business. Most tourist locations are closed, about half the pubs and restaurants as well.Still, less doom and gloom which is where you see the difference in Spain compared to Ireland I think

Masks outdoors when moving was a bit of a pain in the heat...but a good local population their so the absence of thousands of tourists isn't felt as much as in the Canaries.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Masks outdoors when moving was a bit of a pain in the heat...but a good local population their so the absence of thousands of tourists isn't felt as much as in the Canaries.

in the heat? Yeah, I brought the rain and cold with me so that wasnt an issue :D:P

I see they've just brought an 11pm Curfew into Lanzarote due to a spike in cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Have you a link for that about the Lanzarote curfew?

From Saturday, All travellers into Ireland must produce a Negative PCR taken no more than 3 days before travel.

https://www.independent.ie/news/all-travellers-arriving-in-ireland-must-produce-negative-covid-test-from-this-saturday-39961745.html

From Saturday, All travellers into Ireland must produce a Negative PCR taken no more than 3 days before travel.

https://www.independent.ie/news/all-travellers-arriving-in-ireland-must-produce-negative-covid-test-from-this-saturday-39961745.html

I havent seen any legislation for this so until then, they really dont

Ah, it was coming to be fair. Good business opportunity for Ryanair to cut down on costs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Ireland has to be stricter than other countries yet again and for all the difference it makes only to piss people off!!! If strict restrictions was the way to go we'd hardly be in the state we're in!!

Do people think this will continue into the summer? Who on earth would come here? Not alone will they need a PCR to get in but also restrict movement for 5 days and fork out for another test at Irish prices or just quarantine or whatever you want to call it for 14 days. Is it still euphemistically termed "restrict movements" and is it still a "request?" The article about it in the journal says that we'll lose connectivity. This just keeps getting worse, I really wish now I could retire and get the hell out of here! :(

On another note I've just texted the French assistant working in my school with this news as she's booked to return here on Sunday [bad timing] But she has just texted back that the PCR in France costs €54!!! Rip off Ireland again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

The S. I. requiring a pcr test for people arriving from GB and South Africa was only published today. I presume the update will be published Friday if they're planning to bring it in from Saturday.

Ah, it was coming to be fair. Good business opportunity for Ryanair to cut down on costs

Only took them about 10 months to bring in the testing...

With the new requirement it will ensure that only the most "essential" passengers arrive through the Airports, there will be Zero trips into the country for tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

So what's the outcome for an Irish citizen returning from being abroad with no test done?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Possible prosecution with a €2500 fine or 6 months in prison.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement