Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Tenzor07 wrote: »

With the new requirement it will ensure that only the most "essential" passengers arrive through the Airports, there will be Zero trips into the country for tourism.

Not really, its not very expensive to get a PCR test, I have seen it as low as 15 euros in some countries.

The only benefit here is the there may be less people who are Positive coming in. As the test has to be few days old, nothing stopping someone getting infected between their test time and time of their flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Only took them about 10 months to bring in the testing...

With the new requirement it will ensure that only the most "essential" passengers arrive through the Airports, there will be Zero trips into the country for tourism.

I’ve personally been in favour of keeping an open airport and allowing those who wish to travel, the freedom to do so. I’d welcome this additional requirement for the next couple of months until the tourism season opens up to a further extent under hopefully favourable conditions come May/June. By then, ideally this requirement will be removed or maybe replaced with a rapid test for example.

I honestly don’t believe this will materially impact the numbers travelling at the moment, especially Irish citizens. Those that are comfortable and able to travel during a pandemic are probably more than happy to take a test in Spain for example prior to their return. The test is under €100 in Spain so certainly not prohibitive if a month in the sun is the reward!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Golfman64 wrote: »
    I’ve personally been in favour of keeping an open airport and allowing those who wish to travel, the freedom to do so. I’d welcome this additional requirement for the next couple of months until the tourism season opens up to a further extent under hopefully favourable conditions come May/June. By then, ideally this requirement will be removed or maybe replaced with a rapid test for example.

I honestly don’t believe this will materially impact the numbers travelling at the moment, especially Irish citizens. Those that are comfortable and able to travel during a pandemic are probably more than happy to take a test in Spain for example prior to their return. The test is under €100 in Spain so certainly not prohibitive if a month in the sun is the reward!

And you’ll need one going out there. So that’s €200 extra per person. €800 for a family of 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

I do love your optimism Golfman64 in a day where the news is all shades of gloom. And I'd love to agree but it's hard to. Here's what I think:

When you say under €100 do you mean more like €90 or more like €50? And while that's not major for a single person or a couple it's a big outlay for a family. Especially if they also need the PCR outbound from Ireland. So that's one cohort greatly affected. The great bulk of Irish travellers to the sun spots in Spain are generally middle to lower income families. Will they fork out a huge amount extra? I don't think they will. And it's generally the week or fortnight they go for, rarely the month. And that loss will hugely affect the regional airports which will be a huge blow to the south and west. They're already on life support as it is. Ryanair have been making a lot of noises about pulling bases and routes, they're not going to be too happy with today's news.

A second group which this will hit is the mini break traveller. If you need outbound and inbound PCR who will want to go anywhere abroad for just a few days?

A third group is all those working in the civil and public service as they are still bound by quarantine /restrict movement rules as bizarrely the negative test doesn't obviate that requirement.

So I think it will massively materially impact the numbers travelling. But the one glimmer of hope is that this move may be temporary to be replaced by a more viable arrangement later. But judging by the shambolic way the crisis has been handled in Ireland from OTT to illogical restrictions and stubbornly maintaining restrictions, I would be extremely apprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

acequion wrote: »
    I do love your optimism Golfman64 in a day where the news is all shades of gloom. And I'd love to agree but it's hard to. Here's what I think:

When you say under €100 do you mean more like €90 or more like €50? And while that's not major for a single person or a couple it's a big outlay for a family. Especially if they also need the PCR outbound from Ireland. So that's one cohort greatly affected. The great bulk of Irish travellers to the sun spots in Spain are generally middle to lower income families. Will they fork out a huge amount extra? I don't think they will. And it's generally the week or fortnight they go for, rarely the month. And that loss will hugely affect the regional airports which will be a huge blow to the south and west.They're already on life support as it is. Ryanair have been making a lot of noises about pulling bases and routes, they're not going to be too happy with today's news.

A second group which this will hit is the mini break traveller. If you need outbound and inbound PCR who will want to go anywhere abroad for just a few days?

A third group is all those working in the civil and public service as they are still bound by quarantine /restrict movement rules as bizarrely the negative test doesn't obviate that requirement.

So I think it will massively materially impact the numbers travelling. But the one glimmer of hope is that this move may be temporary to be replaced by a more viable arrangement later. But judging by the shambolic way the crisis has been handled in Ireland from OTT to illogical restrictions and stubbornly maintaining restrictions, I would be extremely apprehensive.

Yes I agree. Don’t you know the opinion of most will be “we really need this testing for tourists coming in during the summer” so to stop importing cases. So rather than moving to Antigen testing this opinion will give the government/NPHET the opportunity to double down on the PCR test needed to enter the country.

Am I right in saying the cheapest PCR test to be got in Ireland is currently €99?

• Advertisement

Yes I agree. Don’t you know the opinion of most will be “we really need this testing for tourists coming in during the summer” so to stop importing cases. So rather than moving to Antigen testing this opinion will give the government/NPHET the opportunity to double down on the PCR test needed to enter the country.

Am I right in saying the cheapest PCR test to be got in Ireland is currently €99?

Bons in Tralee is €80

Agree with everything you say unfortunately.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

When you say under €100 do you mean more like €90 or more like €50? And while that's not major for a single person or a couple it's a big outlay for a family. Especially if they also need the PCR outbound from Ireland. So that's one cohort greatly affected. The great bulk of Irish travellers to the sun spots in Spain are generally middle to lower income families. Will they fork out a huge amount extra? I don't think they will. And it's generally the week or fortnight they go for, rarely the month. And that loss will hugely affect the regional airports which will be a huge blow to the south and west. They're already on life support as it is. Ryanair have been making a lot of noises about pulling bases and routes, they're not going to be too happy with today's news.

All very fair points.

I guess my thinking was really that while we’re in the grips of the current surge, there have been mad calls to close the airport or ban all non essential travel. Thankfully these fell on deaf ears and an already common approach across a number of EU countries has been adopted in the form of the PCR test prior to travel. To be clear I am in favour of it on the basis it is a short term measure which can still allow non essential travel at this point in time. I agree it should replace the need to quarantine but hopefully that’s the next step followed by a rapid test or no test at all as we work through the vulnerable and at risk vaccination categories.

From my own experience a lot of current travellers are either young single/couple or retirees going for an extended stay in the sun but that’s anecdotal to be fair!

I would also imagine/hope as more countries bring in this requirement and the demand rises that we will have more companies offering the service therefore decreasing the price for a test.

Time will tell I guess but anything that can enable travel as opposed to banning it is a win right now in my opinion.

All very fair points.

I guess my thinking was really that while we’re in the grips of the current surge, there have been mad calls to close the airport or ban all non essential travel. Thankfully these fell on deaf ears and an already common approach across a number of EU countries has been adopted in the form of the PCR test prior to travel. To be clear I am in favour of it on the basis it is a short term measure which can still allow non essential travel at this point in time. I agree it should replace the need to quarantine but hopefully that’s the next step followed by a rapid test or no test at all as we work through the vulnerable and at risk vaccination categories.

From my own experience a lot of current travellers are either young single/couple or retirees going for an extended stay in the sun but that’s anecdotal to be fair!

I would also imagine/hope as more countries bring in this requirement and the demand rises that we will have more companies offering the service therefore decreasing the price for a test.

Time will tell I guess but anything that can enable travel as opposed to banning it is a win right now in my opinion.

Agree on all points. Another huge problem though is flight cancellations. Another consequence of depressed bookings.

But again I appreciate the optimism. And you're right. Things might pan out ok in the end. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I think the Govt should setup free-mass testing in places like Killarney, Blarney, Bunratty, Templebar etc. to encourage inbound tourism again, start it up to run from Mid-April to end of October. Get the likes of Ryanair etc. to spread the word, a free-covid test when leaving Ireland. Incoming tourists will already be tested to mitigate their risks.

Tourists who come here spend alot of money directly into general taxation via VAT etc. they keep jobs going which is worth another small fortune in tax to the state. This single incentive could save tourism for the summer season.

Will we see it happen? Most likely not, they will dump billions more into the HSE-COVID system, and continue to squander billions on other rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Has anybody looked into or travelled to the UK?
    I’d hope to be able to go over and visit friends during summer months or as soon as it’s deemed ok to go tbh !

Just adding here - I know a guy who works here but was home in England for Xmas. He tried to return here over a week ago, flight cancelled. When he finally got rebooked, he needed a PCR test to enter this country.
    Getting a PCR test in England can be done by 2 ways (according to him, and this was recent obviously)
    - free via the NHS, but you must have symptoms that warrant this test
    - privately, which ended up costing him near €300

Maybe check the story with your friends, but that was his experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Will I travel, yep counting down the last 3 days of a 14 quarantine and back to flying. Some countries offer the PCR test for free :) or supplied by your company, at this stage I have done 47 tests, all negative.

I can’t understand why ireland didn’t at least install thermal cameras in the airports and at least attempt to save the aviation industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Surely they're not asking healthy people, with a certificate of all-clear from covid, to isolate or restrict movement? Surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Surely they're not asking healthy people, with a certificate of all-clear from covid, to isolate or restrict movement? Surely?

Sorry just red the article so you only still need to restrict if your coming from a 'red zone'.

They don't accept rapid tests, making life hard. Other countries doing rapid tests in the airports..

howiya wrote: »
    The S. I. requiring a pcr test for people arriving from GB and South Africa was only published today. I presume the update will be published Friday if they're planning to bring it in from Saturday.

Having watched and waited for thie government to enact legislation throughout this entire affair, I will not hold my breath.

Announcements are not always followed by enactments which require the minister to actually sign it into law. For example. many of the provisions brought in have been waiting weeks for the signature.

Now add in that it wont be an on the spot fine or something that results in arrest, we gonna chase tourists back home? No, we arent.

The best chance for government is that airlines take it on to refuse passengers without a test but asking Ryanair to enforce Irish legislation? I dunno, they arent friends

Sorry just red the article so you only still need to restrict if your coming from a 'red zone'.

They don't accept rapid tests, making life hard. Other countries doing rapid tests in the airports..

At the moment pretty much everywhere is red. Now the hope would be that by time the season opens up many countries will have their numbers back down but down enough to be orange?? Big ask really as most are multiples of the quota at this point.

But things can change quickly and vaccines are there with an efficient roll out in many countries, much better than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

UK appears to be discussing Health Passports, will be interesting if they allow travel without PCR testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

smurfjed wrote: »
    UK appears to be discussing Health Passports, will be interesting if they allow travel without PCR testing.

That's always been on the cards... Your passport containing data which states your vaccination status when scanned at point of entry... no vaccine... then into a mandatory quarantine or get sent back to point of origin..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2021-01-13/the-catalan-cyclist-who-visited-43-countries-during-the-covid-19-pandemic.html

This really really pisses me off, I haven't travelled in over a year, God knows when I'll see my elderly parents in Ireland again (possibly never)
    Have had a trip to Norway cancelled to at the earliest 2022 over this (probably even longer).

But this tosser can do what he wants , no PCR tests for him .. no quarantine ... Nahh!!!

Surprised the media are loving this, usually they'd be grilling people breaking the rules or even bending the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

TomSweeney wrote: »
    But this tosser can do what he wants , no PCR tests for him .. no quarantine ... Nahh!!!

Surprised the media are loving this, usually they'd be grilling people breaking the rules or even bending the rules.

Oh I do love a bit of Outrage, and double rage bonus too... a cyclist! Grrr....

Looks like the grilling will be done on Boards now! :pac:

I know whats coming, im jealous etc ... but just pisses me off that some people can not only bend the rules but are lauded for it.

If he had been flying and somehow evading this there wouldn't be a shining article on him ...

• Advertisement

I just don't get how some people get so enraged by other people breaking the rules. It's like getting enraged by the weather or the price of oil or some such that we have no power over. There will always be people who break rules, always! But ranting about it and feeling aggrieved over our own sacrifices and compliance is a complete and utter waste of time.

Nothing stopping anyone from obeying or breaking rules. Our own choice and ditto for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Reminds me of SW China during the Sars outbreak and localrestrictions with out the bike, happy memories...Now I'm enjoying watching repeats during lockdown 3 of Micheal Palins world trips and rereading Dervla Murphy and Paul theroux ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2021-01-13/the-catalan-cyclist-who-visited-43-countries-during-the-covid-19-pandemic.html

This really really pisses me off, I haven't travelled in over a year, God knows when I'll see my elderly parents in Ireland again (possibly never)
    Have had a trip to Norway cancelled to at the earliest 2022 over this (probably even longer).

What a legend!
    He was alone the whole time with little risk of infecting anyone, fit and healthy guy. Nice to see perspectives from different countries like this.

Well for starters thats your choice and perhaps, just perhaps the young and healthy cyclist hasnt seen his elderly parents either. Or perhaps he doesnt have any elderly relations that he needs to avoid to protect them.

I fail to see how this lads activities have any inpact on you spending time with your parents who, being the ones at risk, I assume are staying indoors?

The only fishy part is the Italian supermarkets on Sunday considering its the same in Catalonia, he should have been ready for that the silly scamp

What a legend!
    He was alone the whole time with little risk of infecting anyone, fit and healthy guy. Nice to see perspectives from different countries like this.

Have to agree. It's not a one size fits all in how we individually approach this. Different stages of lives, different risk appetites.

If you are getting worked up about some bloke spending months alone on his bike with no plans or wants to interact with his family then good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Have to agree. It's not a one size fits all in how we individually approach this. Different stages of lives, different risk appetites.

If you are getting worked up about some bloke spending months alone on his bike with no plans or wants to interact with his family then good luck to you.

But but but the rules.

Well for starters thats your choice and perhaps, just perhaps the young and healthy cyclist hasnt seen his elderly parents either. Or perhaps he doesnt have any elderly relations that he needs to avoid to protect them.

I fail to see how this lads activities have any inpact on you spending time with your parents who, being the ones at risk, I assume are staying indoors?

The only fishy part is the Italian supermarkets on Sunday considering its the same in Catalonia, he should have been ready for that the silly scamp

Because I know his type, he'd be pro pro pro lockdown.
    He's had his fun, so now f*ck the rest.

Probably has a mask in his profile photos.

//

Because I know his type, he'd be pro pro pro lockdown.
    He's had his fun, so now f*ck the rest.

Probably has a mask in his profile photos.

//

eh? where did you get that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Had a flight for the 4th to Spain but I tested positive on the second. Had a flight again tomorrow to Spain and did the PCR test yesterday but It turned up positive again. They rang from the hospital saying i can't infect but they still couldn't give me a negative. Do you reckon by next wednesday I should test negative via PCR? Or should i also book a lamp for the thursday just in case as I hear the Lamp is not as sensitive. My first symptoms were on Stephen's Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Had a flight for the 4th to Spain but I tested positive on the second. Had a flight again tomorrow to Spain and did the PCR test yesterday but It turned up positive again. They rang from the hospital saying i can't infect but they still couldn't give me a negative. Do you reckon by next wednesday I should test negative via PCR? Or should i also book a lamp for the thursday just in case as I hear the Lamp is not as sensitive. My first symptoms were on Stephen's Day.

The HSE recommend not retesting within 12 weeks because of exactly this issue. They have documented positive RT-PCR tests up to 19 weeks after recovery.
    LAMP tests are less sensitive, but they still detect viral RNA like RT-PCR does, it doesn't care if its 'live' virus or not. I would contact the Spanish embassy and see if you can get an exemption with documented recovery from your Doc. You could be a while waiting for a negative PCR

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement