Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Hi quick practical question:
    i have to travel to the Netherlands for a medical exam (not covid related), I'd be flying in and out on the same day. Would a PCR test done here in Ireland within 72h of departure cover me for both legs of the trip? I would assume so given that there wouldnt be time to do another one there and get the results in time.

So a follow up to this... bought my tickets, booked (and paid) for my PCR test but it turns out that starting from midnight the NL will require both a PCR test done at least 72h before departure AND a rapid antigen test taken immediately before departure (only for Irish and UK arrivals)

My flight is at 7am Monday morning so, from what i've found online, there is no way I can get an antigen test "immediately before departure"... right?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

I'm booked for Lanzarote at Easter.
    My accomodation is paid for and non-refundable. If the flight is going, we are on it. If we need tests, I think things will be more streamlined by then.
    I booked it on 28 November when things were looking good. I have travel insurance.
    Nothing is certain in life ... we have to learn to roll with the punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,528 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Netherlands requires visitors from Ireland to pass a PCR test but also a rapid antigen test *directly before departure*. New requirement takes effect from 11pm Irish time tonight - Source Gavan Reilly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Scoondal wrote: »
    My accomodation is paid for and non-refundable. If the flight is going, we are on it. If we need tests, I think things will be more streamlined by then.
    I booked it on 28 November when things were looking good. I have travel insurance.

Booked for Lanzarote for 3 weeks on June 29th. A week in Playa Blanca and then a fortnight in PDC. 5 friends coming out to meet us (wife and I) for the 2nd week. Like yourself if the flight goes I’m on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

So a follow up to this... bought my tickets, booked (and paid) for my PCR test but it turns out that starting from midnight the NL will require both a PCR test done at least 72h before departure AND a rapid antigen test taken immediately before departure (only for Irish and UK arrivals)

My flight is at 7am Monday morning so, from what i've found online, there is no way I can get an antigen test "immediately before departure"... right?

V1medical.ie
    Bookings opened up early to facilitate the early AMS flights. Aer Lingus should have sent you an email by now with that info on it.
    The test centre is 5 minutes south of the airport, the test takes 5 minutes, and you will get emailed the result and certificate within 30 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The Netherlands requires visitors from Ireland to pass a PCR test but also a rapid antigen test *directly before departure*. New requirement takes effect from 11pm Irish time tonight - Source Gavan Reilly

Source - also the Dutch Government

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Scoondal wrote: »

Worth a punt if you didn't know Christmas was the following month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Flying to Colombia on the 29th via Paris. Already have a Randox test booked on the 27th

So once I book a PCR test in Colombia within 72 hours of returning home (via Paris again) I should have no issues upon my journeys?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I saw this today, the Dutch are basically trying to Bar people from Ireland.
    One big problem is that it also applies to people transiting and Amsterdan is a huge transfer hub.

As said, check with V1 Medical, also try RocDoc at the airport- they do Antigen and probably will happily open early to fulfil this demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Booked for Lanzarote for 3 weeks on June 29th. A week in Playa Blanca and then a fortnight in PDC. 5 friends coming out to meet us (wife and I) for the 2nd week. Like yourself if the flight goes I’m on it.

So you'll go with the airline's judgment rather than NPHETs. Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

So you'll go with the airline's judgment rather than NPHETs. Why?

Obviously his own judgement

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmcato

Cork airport has no quick antigen test, so they are cancelling KLM flights from Cork. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

fmcato wrote: »
    Cork airport has no quick antigen test, so they are cancelling KLM flights from Cork. :mad:

Does that just leave Heathrow so? One flight a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmcato

fm wrote: »
    Does that just leave Heathrow so? One flight a day.

In my case I need to go to Spain, Amsterdam was for my connecting flight to Malaga.

Thankfully there is one flight the same day from Dublin to Malaga, so got that and a gobus trip.

Now praying it does not get cancelled too due to the covid situation in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

A step in the right direction. Hopefully the entire eu and beyond adopt the same requirements and help to facilitate safer travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

A step in the right direction. Hopefully the entire eu and beyond adopt the same requirements and help to facilitate safer travel.

It'd be grand if you could do it cheaply and quickly at the airport.
    RocDoc are in the long term park, charge €89 for an Antigen and take an hour to send the result.

Totally inconvenient, inefficient and a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

TomSweeney wrote: »
    https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2021-01-13/the-catalan-cyclist-who-visited-43-countries-during-the-covid-19-pandemic.html

This really really pisses me off, I haven't travelled in over a year, God knows when I'll see my elderly parents in Ireland again (possibly never)
    Have had a trip to Norway cancelled to at the earliest 2022 over this (probably even longer).

But this tosser can do what he wants , no PCR tests for him .. no quarantine ... Nahh!!!

Surprised the media are loving this, usually they'd be grilling people breaking the rules or even bending the rules.

Oh shut up, Jesus, one fella on a bike what's the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

UAE is vaccinating over 180,000 people a day, so might be a great summer 2021 destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

smurfjed wrote: »
    UAE is vaccinating over 180,000 people a day, so might be a great summer 2021 destination.

Who says they'll want anyone from Ireland to arrive into their country unless they come with PCR tests and confirmation of Vaccination?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

V1medical.ie
    Bookings opened up early to facilitate the early AMS flights. Aer Lingus should have sent you an email by now with that info on it.
    The test centre is 5 minutes south of the airport, the test takes 5 minutes, and you will get emailed the result and certificate within 30 minutes.

thanks for the info. I did get that email from aerlingus but it wasnt showing any available slots for this Monday at 5am. I'm all for safe flying, tests and all that but it's not the easiest logistics having to go the airport on saturday, get the €99 PCR 2 days before flying, then on the day get a taxi at 4.30am, pay another €99 and get the rapid test at the hotel, take another taxi to drop you at the airport (there wouldnt be enough time to wait for the hotel shuttle every 30min), pray that the result will be on time and negative or there's no way you can change that 7am flight for another day. clearly meant to dissuade all but the most essential of travel reasons. i'm flying for a follow up medical exam but thankfully can postpone it a few weeks

IMHO, 10 months into the pandemic we should have rapid test facilities INSIDE the airport not 2km away. other european state capitols have managed to do it so not an impossible feat. but agree that there are other priorities in this country to deal with covid at the moment

anyway, i've changed my flights (aerlingus for free, will lose the ryanair but was cheap) and Randox has reimbursed me for the PCR. Will wait until the end of the month and hopefully numbers will be a bit better and we can go back to a single PCR test instead of 2 different tests at different times in different locations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I don't get it. As more and more people get vaccinated are they still going to expect those who do to get a test? For instance, do essential medical workers who have been vaccinated need a PCR to travel.

Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Slinky94

I have a friend flying in from New York to Dublin tonight (leaving NY this evening, arriving into Dublin tomorrow morning). They have a PCR test done but are still awaiting results. Do the new restrictions regarding having a valid PCR test within 72 hours kick in tonight or Saturday night?
    Just wondering because if they don't get the result they need to head to JFK about 3 hours earlier to get a rapid PCR test done there but if they don't technically need one I'm positive they'd have the result of the first one by the time they land in Dublin airport.
    I heard Helen McEntee on Newstalk this morning saying it was Saturday night at midnight but the person in NYC is convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Slinky94

Slinky94 wrote: »
    I have a friend flying in from New York to Dublin tonight (leaving NY this evening, arriving into Dublin tomorrow morning). They have a PCR test done but are still awaiting results. Do the new restrictions regarding having a valid PCR test within 72 hours kick in tonight or Saturday night?
    Just wondering because if they don't get the result they need to head to JFK about 3 hours earlier to get a rapid PCR test done there but if they don't technically need one I'm positive they'd have the result of the first one by the time they land in Dublin airport.
    I heard Helen McEntee on Newstalk this morning saying it was Saturday night at midnight but the person in NYC is convinced.

So I was just on the DFA website and got these two bits of info off it. So it says "on the morning of Saturday the 16th passengers should have a negative PCR test"
    Then below in the other photo it says "from the 16th of January all passengers are required to have a negative PCR test."

Can I take from that so that it is advisable to have one Saturday morning but not strictly required?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

smurfjed wrote: »

A desert in the summer? I wouldn't exactly say that's a great destination myself. Vaccine or no vaccine, wouldn't be rushing there at that time of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

eh? where did you get that from?
    Inside my own head Niner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

Having watched and waited for thie government to enact legislation throughout this entire affair, I will not hold my breath.

Announcements are not always followed by enactments which require the minister to actually sign it into law. For example. many of the provisions brought in have been waiting weeks for the signature.

Now add in that it wont be an on the spot fine or something that results in arrest, we gonna chase tourists back home? No, we arent.

The best chance for government is that airlines take it on to refuse passengers without a test but asking Ryanair to enforce Irish legislation? I dunno, they arent friends

And you were right. Nothing in today's Iris Oifigiul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

It'd be grand if you could do it cheaply and quickly at the airport.
    RocDoc are in the long term park, charge €89 for an Antigen and take an hour to send the result.

Totally inconvenient, inefficient and a rip off.
    And thats an antigen, not even a PCR, most places (all even) don't accept antigen.

PCR is 100-150 Euro.

This won;t stop, too much of a moneymaker ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

fmcato wrote: »

I think you can get an antigen test with Rocdoc at the airport. The KLM flights resume on January 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭talulon

That RodDoc new antigen is BS and a rip-off. Why would you pay 10euro less than for a PCR when antigen test is not widely accepted as valid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

talulon wrote: »
    That RodDoc new antigen is BS and a rip-off. Why would you pay 10euro less than for a PCR when antigen test is not widely accepted as valid?

According to their website it's 40 euro cheaper, but I think it's a PCR test you need for going abroad anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement