Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Acosta wrote: »
    According to their website it's 40 euro cheaper, but I think it's a PCR test you need for going abroad anyway.

Depends on where you're going.

Netherlands require an Antigen test (or a rapid LAMP test - RocDoc could easily facilitate this so PAX didn't need to get a PCR too, but they won't commit to having results in less than 4 hours, even though the assay takes about 30 minutes)

Germany, Italy, Denmark, USA all accept Antigen tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Depends on where you're going.

Netherlands require an Antigen test (or a rapid LAMP test - RocDoc could easily facilitate this so PAX didn't need to get a PCR too, but they won't commit to having results in less than 4 hours, even though the assay takes about 30 minutes)

Germany, Italy, Denmark, USA all accept Antigen tests.

Don't Netherlands now require both? You have to get a PCR test withij 72 hours before flying and an antigen test pre departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Tazz T wrote: »
    I don't get it. As more and more people get vaccinated are they still going to expect those who do to get a test? For instance, do essential medical workers who have been vaccinated need a PCR to travel.

Makes no sense.

From about May/June, I can't see tests being mandatory for all European countries. There is likely to be strong lobbying from the tourism industry, particularly in countries that depend on foreign tourists like Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Greece and so on to drop it. Having to shell out €100+ for tests is going to put a lot people (families mainly) off travelling.

I just can't see most countries being prepared to decimate their tourist season in 2021 due to mandatory testing. The summer 2020 tourist season was minimal in most places even with borders being largely open and no tests required. With vaccines this year we should be in an even better situation come May-June.

Additionally, mandatory vaccination is even less likely. Not only because it is probably against EU freedom of movement but also because the 18-55 age bracket (i.e. most tourists) will likely not have been vaccinated by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0115/1190073-brazil-covid-variant/
    Dr Holohan said in a statement: "It is essential that anyone arriving from Brazil self-isolate for 14 days from the date of arrival before entering or re-entering the workplace.

"We are particularly appealing to employers to enable their employees to protect each other by staying at home for the full 14 days.

"Anyone who has travelled from Brazil in the last 14 days is advised to self-isolate for 14 days, from the date of arrival, and identify themselves, through a GP, for testing as soon as possible."

Ummm, sure - like fook that will happen.

Meanwhile the docile residents here will suck it up and remain locked down. We really deserve to be made absolute fools of when these are the policies that are allowed run unchallenged. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

VG31 wrote: »
    From about May/June, I can't see tests being mandatory for all European countries. There is likely to be strong lobbying from the tourism industry, particularly in countries that depend on foreign tourists like Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Greece and so on to drop it. Having to shell out €100+ for tests is going to put a lot people (families mainly) off travelling.

I just can't see most countries being prepared to decimate their tourist season in 2021 due to mandatory testing. The summer 2020 tourist season was minimal in most places even with borders being largely open and no tests required. With vaccines this year we should be in an even better situation come May-June.

Additionally, mandatory vaccination is even less likely. Not only because it is probably against EU freedom of movement but also because the 18-55 age bracket (i.e. most tourists) will likely not have been vaccinated by then.

Maybe for 2021 but from 2022 mandatory vaccination could be a requisite for travel within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Theyre just 'advised'

Thought everyone had to present a negative test within 72 hours before arriving or face a fine/jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

VG31 wrote: »
    From about May/June, I can't see tests being mandatory for all European countries. There is likely to be strong lobbying from the tourism industry, particularly in countries that depend on foreign tourists like Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Greece and so on to drop it. Having to shell out €100+ for tests is going to put a lot people (families mainly) off travelling..

Greece had random swab testing on arrival towards late Summer, then tested all arrivals as time went on..
    Other countries, Malta... Belgium.. all had temperature checking at airports...

So, maybe a continuation of the testing on arrival in Greece, Spain, Italy....

Probably not in Ireland, I can't imagine NPHET telling FFFG to drop the requirement for Negative PCR on arrival this year... So the Irish tourism sector will have to rely on limited domestic tourism...with social distancing and reduced numbers rule staying in place.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

Probably a stupid question but working online atm and looking to move abroad, what would be the best country to go to in Europe (least restrictions)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Theyre just 'advised'

Thought everyone had to present a negative test within 72 hours before arriving or face a fine/jail.

I would bet €100 that the amounts of fines for breaching 5km will far outweigh fines for arriving without a negative test.

Currently it's Residents 29 - 0 Arrivals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

Theyre just 'advised'

That comes into effect tomorrow 16th Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Nobody should be coming in at all.... No reason.

It's infuriating when hundreds of thousands of jobs are ruthlessly scythed (not one member of NPHET or Government curiously enough), ostensibly to curtail the spread of Covid-19. Then on the other hand offering a kneeling mat to the more infectious British, South African and Brazilian variants with a gentle reminder towards recent arrivals. Which simply will be ignored. This sort of contradictory guff is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Advisory self-isolation for some.

Social and economic devastation for others.

Thanks Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Thread merged into this one.

Danno wrote: »
    I would bet €100 that the amounts of fines for breaching 5km will far outweigh fines for arriving without a negative test.

Currently it's Residents 29 - 0 Arrivals.

Most arrivals are residents. Or do you actually think that there are people coming to Ireland for a holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

What are the requirements for ferry travel? do you need a PCR to get the ferry directly to France?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Everyone get your bags packed - Irish Times: Further year of Covid curbs needed to protect public, says top health official Link

Another year of restrictions related to Covid-19 would be necessary before the number of people vaccinated would be sufficient to protect the public in general from the disease, a top health official has said.

So it looks like 2021 is a complete write off in Ireland anyway. People who have any common sense should begin to make travel plans for April at the earliest and remove themselves from this hellhole. We WILL be the last country in the world to remove restrictions and take back control of our lives.

This piece of news is outrageous and offers zero hope after a whole year of 'working together to contain the virus' - never ending drama.

What are the requirements for ferry travel? do you need a PCR to get the ferry directly to France?

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/FRA/7001
    No testing required from Ireland to France. At the moment.It's not dependant on how you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

RobitTV wrote: »
    Everyone get your bags packed - Irish Times: Further year of Covid curbs needed to protect public, says top health official Link

Another year of restrictions related to Covid-19 would be necessary before the number of people vaccinated would be sufficient to protect the public in general from the disease, a top health official has said.

So it looks like 2021 is a complete write off in Ireland anyway. People who have any common sense should begin to make travel plans for April at the earliest and remove themselves from this hellhole. We WILL be the last country in the world to remove restrictions and take back control of our lives.

This piece of news is outrageous and offers zero hope after a whole year of 'working together to contain the virus' - never ending drama.

Israel and the UAE seem to be the most likely to return to normal first.

• Advertisement

RobitTV wrote: »
    Everyone get your bags packed - Further year of Covid curbs needed to protect public, says top health official Link

Relax. That likely related to social distancing and mask wearing in stores. The problem with these threads is that everyone interprets ‘restrictions’ in a different way. It could mean anything from level 5 to level 1 or simply everything open with mask wearing. So all of our assumptions, that form the basis for our arguments, are different.

FWIW, I think that by the end of the summer we will be as normal but with the following exceptions:

No nightclubs and no non-seating indoor gigs
    PCR tests or vaccination certs for all arrivals at our ports and airports
    Seating only in pubs
    Masks and social distancing inside (limits on crowds in all inside spaces)

titan18 wrote: »
    Don't Netherlands now require both? You have to get a PCR test withij 72 hours before flying and an antigen test pre departure.

A LAMP test done and reported within 4 hours of departure will meet both requirements. The test takes about 30 minutes to run. It would be easily doable if RocDoc were efficient and had the will to do it. But it seems that they're not.

FWIW, I think that by the end of the summer we will be as normal but with the following exceptions:

No nightclubs and no non-seating indoor gigs
    PCR tests or vaccination certs for all arrivals at our ports and airports
    Seating only in pubs
    Masks and social distancing inside (limits on crowds in all inside spaces)

So not normal?:D

You took the time to actually post that? Well done ðŸ‘

Unless you’re a night club worker, those are hardly a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

That really has filled me with hope! :pac:

You took the time to actually post that? Well done ðŸ‘

Unless you’re a night club worker, those are hardly a big deal

If social distancing and masks are still mandatory indoors that affects every industry, from pubs to schools to cinemas to the local chipper and shops, to me that is as far from normal as you can get.

In fact the only place I would be in favour of masks and continuing is inside an operating room or a bedroom!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭howa .223

I have a question, perhaps someone could answer.
    I travel frequently and have between Ireland and England through the lockdowns.
    Before any government made it mandatory i have taken a PCR test before traveling by Ferry each way.( with travel cert from RANDOX)
    My current shift pattern is 20 days on 10 off, now this 14 day isolation period will cause a lot of hassle.

So my question.

If i isolate for my ten days and leave Ireland with a negative result and fit to travel cert, would i be breaking the law?
    Example would be Germany where my colleges have no risk of breaking any rules if they LEAVE germany within the government's lockdown requirements.

I cannot find any information that clearly states leaving before the 14 days!

Thanks in advance for any information.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

howa .223 wrote: »
    I have a question, perhaps someone could answer.
    I travel frequently and have between Ireland and England through the lockdowns.
    Before any government made it mandatory i have taken a PCR test before traveling by Ferry each way.( with travel cert from RANDOX)
    My current shift pattern is 20 days on 10 off, now this 14 day isolation period will cause a lot of hassle.

So my question.

If i isolate for my ten days and leave Ireland with a negative result and fit to travel cert, would i be breaking the law?
    Example would be Germany where my colleges have no risk of breaking any rules if they LEAVE germany within the government's lockdown requirements.

I cannot find any information that clearly states leaving before the 14 days!

Thanks in advance for any information.

iirc the original paper passenger locator form in its explanatory notes said something about having to restrict movements for 14 days, or if you were staying in Ireland for less than 14 days, for the duration of your stay.
    In any case, there is a facility at present to notify a change in your location during the 14 days, that change could be out of the country.
    In short, no, you won’t be breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 oysenpriest

So I have been home at my parents since just before Christmas and I'm living in Limerick and paying rent there. Was wondering what the story with going back to my apartment is seen as the travel restriction is 5km and I'm in a different county right now? I have proof of address and all that, but is there a chance I will be told to go back? even though I'm not living here and was just waiting it out a bit longer back at my parents because once I go back I won't be able to visit them for a few months again....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

So I have been home at my parents since just before Christmas and I'm living in Limerick and paying rent there. Was wondering what the story with going back to my apartment is seen as the travel restriction is 5km and I'm in a different county right now? I have proof of address and all that, but is there a chance I will be told to go back? even though I'm not living here and was just waiting it out a bit longer back at my parents because once I go back I won't be able to visit them for a few months again....

Govt have clarified this. No problem going back to your apartment now, although you will not be able to go back to your parents unless for essential reasons until the rules are relaxed (As you have noted).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement