Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

For Dubai, depending on where you are coming from it’s either:
    1: do it for free on arrival
    2: within 72 hours PCR
    3: 2 PCR tests.one before and one on arrival.

Thermal cameras throughout the airport, if high temp then into isolation pending result of PCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Every instagram tart and onlyfans "content creator" ;) has been appearing in Dubai every day since early December. The DailyMail usually run 3-4 articles a day with Dubai. Not surprised and speaking to freinds out there and they say life is pretty normal despite masks and social distancing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well Dubai is riddled with it. The quarantine in Abu Dhabi prevented many teachers from traveling home. So they celebrated in Dubai and now the schools are doing online learning until the 2nd week of February because most of the teachers went to Dubai and picked it up there. They would have been better off allowing people to travel home coz they would have been tested here.

Dubai is just doing its own thing. Very frustrating that we are taking the brunt of it in Abu Dhabi. To go from Dubai to Abu Dhabi you need a DPI or PCR test result and since Sunday we've reverted to a follow up PCR test on day 4 and day 8. Whilst you can do whatever you like in Dubai...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I'd say there will be an increasing number of 'ordinary' people looking to escape abroad soon, as the coming months are going to drag on with heavy restrictions. I predict that the celebrities out in Dubai will soon be joined by 'ordinary' couples looking for a longer term break.

I even see more Irish people on Facebook asking where to rent apartments in Tenerife, Lanzarote or
    Gran Canaria for the foreseeable future. Some people who went abroad to the Canaries a few weeks ago have ended up extending their stay.

Considering that we probably will be living with the heaviest of heaviest restrictions until April. I'm not surprised that more and more people are looking for an escape route.

I was watching videos of Lanzarote yesterday, and I was so amazed by the level of normality over there despite more restrictions. It looks like a great place to be right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Currently in Gran Canaria and debating if we should log onto Aer Lingus and extend!
    Decisions.....decisions........

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement

Currently in Gran Canaria and debating if we should log onto Aer Lingus and extend!

My god, you are considering coming back to Ireland? :pac: don't make that brutal mistake.

Get on that website and sort it out now and have a great time :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Well, if you fancy going back to freezing wet temperatures with level 5 restrictions and a 5km exercise radius, by all means head back home! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Do it. We're not too far away from you geographically and enjoying every minute.

Even the 'bad' days like today (16 degrees and cloudy) are miles better than what you have in Ireland.

Look at it this way, you may never really have this opportunity again to be away from home (even working from home) for such a long period of time and not miss one birthday, wedding, party, coffee date, whatever it is.

Change the flights and stay, you'd only regret going home IMO.

Stunning day in Lanzarote, this is what the new 'restrictions' look like :pac: people sitting outside in the sun, bars and cafes open, retail units open, barbers and hairdressers open, people can move freely around the island without being stopped and told to return home.

The covid cases are starting to stagnate and fall over there now. The Christmas backlog of covid cases has been cleared, and its likely sometime in February they will reduce the restrictions and allow bars to open until 11pm or midnight again if things go really well.

I'd like to go somewhere in Summer 2021, I'll be vaccinated by then but I reckon a staycation will be the thing again.

• Advertisement

If i need to travel to the UK, is it true that
    i dont need a test to arrive to the UK but will need one coming back ?

Uk Website saying i don't need a test
    https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ireland/entry-requirements

Ryanair saying i do. ????

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭global23214124

Looking to go to Spain or one of the canary island for a few weeks to get out of this lockdown or maybe once its over. Is there anywhere relatively safe at the moment to travel to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd like to go somewhere in Summer 2021, I'll be vaccinated by then but I reckon a staycation will be the thing again.

I've no intention of doing another expensive rain soaked staycation again after my crap four days in Kerry last September. It's Portugal in September/October or nothing at all this year...... And no government sponsored advertising campaign will convince me otherwise....

We got grand weather in Kerry, first weekend in August....... there was admittedly a flood the day before we went there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Same. I'm hoping we can travel this summer. I'm thinking it may be unlikely, but I'm trying to be optimistic. I miss sunshine, the beach and having a nice meal in a restaurant :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

We got grand weather in Kerry, first weekend in August....... there was admittedly a flood the day before we went there :pac:

Don't get me wrong, I love Kerry. But it pissed rain there for three days we were there, couldn't go for a beer during the day without spending 9 euro on a starter meal which ended up uneaten, and generally was lacking in fun. The hotels in Portugal at the moment for September are cheaper than I would normally pay so I'm hoping it stays like that till I take the chance and book it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I'm sure accomodation prices in the west of Ireland will be extortionate once again ?

I am being optimistic about summer 2022!! never mind this summer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I'll be heading out in May, June, July, August and September in Italy, France, Caribbean and Nordics..... have to be positive and have something to look forward to.

Staycation.. looooooooooooooooooooooool

I'll be heading out in May, June, July, August and September in Italy, France, Caribbean and Nordics..... have to be positive and have something to look forward to.

Staycation.. looooooooooooooooooooooool

Nordics ?

Tell me more, I had been supposed to go to Norway last summer and realistically thinking 2022 earliest.

They have ridiculous restrictions to get in, where are you planning to go ?

• Advertisement

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I'm sure accomodation prices in the west of Ireland will be extortionate once again ?

Demand will be high I imagine.

Don't be afraid to book something in March and get a PCR test done beforehand. I'm off in March to Lanzarote and will be spending St Patrick's day over there. The cases will be much lower by then in Ireland so people will feel less worried or guilty about travelling.

Waiting till after the summer to travel abroad with everything so full of negativity in Ireland will severely hurt your mental health. We will have many months of tough restictions ahead and people wont have any sort of decent life.

Go on Booking.com and find a hotel / apartment with free cancellation and you usually won't have to pay until you get to the hotel. So they wont take money from your account immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Nordics ?

Tell me more, I had been supposed to go to Norway last summer and realistically thinking 2022 earliest.

They have ridiculous restrictions to get in, where are you planning to go ?

Not sure yet, yep there will be restrictions but if there are we'll look around, there are plenty of options there and if need be we can wait a little longer. There will definitely be options later this year

Not sure yet, yep there will be restrictions but if there are we'll look around, there are plenty of options there and if need be we can wait a little longer. There will definitely be options later this year

Well be careful with Norway, they have a mandatory 10 day quarantine period if you are coming from any country with >25 cases per 100K ... which is a crazily low benchmark, I don't think any country will ever get below that mark even when vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Hope to get to France 2021/22 when their restrictions have eased up as currently on 1800hrs curfew

pottokblue wrote: »
    Hope to get to France 2021/22 when their restrictions have eased up as currently on 1800hrs curfew

Booked September already. Not as cheap as I thought they might be. THey are obviously confident that they can go ahead and demand will be there

• Registered Users Posts: 32,800 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have a massive voucher for a hotel in italy (Lake Garda) to use by the end of year.
    Anyone have a guess when might be ok to travel?
    Other half works in health care and due vaccine soon.
    But I will be way down the list....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

gmisk wrote: »
    I have a massive voucher for a hotel in italy (Lake Garda) to use by the end of year.

Lake Garda is gorgeous in September youll be grand by then!

gmisk wrote: »

sure we can only guess as much as the next man.

I would say general population travel by September. June to August might see relaxing of restrictions and maybe in place of a test, proof of vaccination but as I said, my guess is as good as yours

Your missus Im guessing will be done by end of february, early march? Im looking at april sometime but my other half will be the end of the list

• Advertisement

Now they are talking about keeping the hospitality industry shut until June. Anybody considering coming home should make other plans if they can afford to stay abroad.

I sometimes don't blame those people who went to Dubai when I hear more depressing news.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement