Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

johnire wrote: »
    With due respect this is what Sanchez said-

The Prime Minister went on to say that once 70 per cent of Spain’s population had been vaccinated, which he expects to happen by the end of the 2021 summer season, the country would “progressively” prepare to welcome international tourists.

That to me sounds like tourists are not going to be particularly welcome in Spain until the end of the 2021 Summer season.

Thats actually good news, end of summer 2021 is reasonably close !!!
    I mean, I've been worried that this will go on untill late 2022 !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

End of summer being August/September?

Surely the added cost of having to pay for a PCR test is going to further deter those who wished to take EU holiday this year?

Absolutely, especially for families, family of 4 ... €150 each both ways !!

€1,200 added on to the trip!!!

F*ck that !!

My wife works in a hospital will get the vaccine soon, I will get it ASAP, but I worry this PCR nonsense will still be a requisite even when most of pop vaccinated.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Surely the added cost of having to pay for a PCR test is going to further deter those who wished to take EU holiday this year?
    IF its required, but the green list still is in force so all ireland needs to do is get on it and stay on it.

If Ireland cant manage that, then it will have other more pressing problems, like a high death toll and full hospitals into the summer

IF its required, but the green list still is in force so all ireland needs to do is get on it and stay on it.

If Ireland cant manage that, then it will have other more pressing problems, like a high death toll and full hospitals into the summer

Yes but what if you return form a country that isnt green?

• Advertisement

TomSweeney wrote: »

F*ck that !!

My wife works in a hospital will get the vaccine soon, I will get it ASAP, but I worry this PCR nonsense will still be a requisite even when most of pop vaccinated.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Worse than that.....probably 2 tests required each way. One 72 hours before departure, one on arrival. So potentially 300 each way per person. €600 each added onto the cost of a trip

Given what is being said about the importance of keeping borders open, and facilitating movement of good and the cross border commuting of essential workers (which is substantial between some countries), i would guess that the strategy to "discourage" non-essential travel will be focussed on hitting you in your pocket

And probably additional restrictions on people coming in from outside of the EU, which will pose a particular problem for Ireland if there are certain measures brought in from that perspective.

Worse than that.....probably 2 tests required each way. One 72 hours before departure, one on arrival. So potentially 300 each way per person. €600 each added onto the cost of a trip

Given what is being said about the importance of keeping borders open, and facilitating movement of good and the cross border commuting of essential workers (which is substantial between some countries), i would guess that the strategy to "discourage" non-essential travel will be focussed on hitting you in your pocket

And probably additional restrictions on people coming in from outside of the EU, which will pose a particular problem for Ireland if there are certain measures brought in from that perspective.
    So then this isn't about a virus anymore if they keep these nonsense restrictions when we are vaccinated.

They want to kill aviation to prevent global warming I'm guessing.

So then this isn't about a virus anymore if they keep these nonsense restrictions when we are vaccinated.

EU leaders have pretty much committed to vaccination passports - its just a matter of working out the detail

• Registered Users Posts: 82,630 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes once the destination country has been vaccinated I don't see why there should be any restrictions on incoming travellers. Perhaps mandatory proof of health insurance so they don't become a burden on the health service should they catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

EU leaders have pretty much committed to vaccination passports - its just a matter of working out the detail
    they have committed to the document and standardising it across the EU.

They have not committed to giving it any status or linking it with travel priviledges.

The southern countries (who depend heavily on tourism income) want to have it as a free pass to go on the batter/ holiday. The northern countries point out that it is not proven that a vaccination stops you from spreading the disease, it just stops you from getting sick and dying .

It might be the case down the line that the passport gives you some sort of extra freedoms in Europe but its not on the cards quite just yet.

• Advertisement

At this stage I say Fine, lash the vaccine into me.
    My only question is will the testing requirment go ?

I'd like to see my parents and them to see their grandkids at least once before they die....

Yes once the destination country has been vaccinated I don't see why there should be any restrictions on incoming travellers. Perhaps mandatory proof of health insurance so they don't become a burden on the health service should they catch it.

Of course this is 100% logical and makes sense, unfortunately as we all know bureaucracy has nothing to do with sense and at best is months/years behind reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Plenty of people went away last year. I spent 3 weeks in France with the family in September and have booked this year already

Yep, me too.

Some great deals out there at the moment. I'd be reasonably confident that by mid-August travel to Spain will be fine.

Had a couple of nice trips to both Italy and Spain last summer - it's great to be able to get away for a few weeks from the hysteria-merchants that this country seems to be saddled with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Golfman64 wrote: »
    It's looking as though, certainly for intra-EU travel for the coming months, there will be an aligned requirement for a negative PCR pre flight and the addition of a 'dark red' zone for which travel to/from is completely restricted.

Most in the industry were predicting Easter as the start of the recovery for aviation but I would be leaning towards May/June now. I don't believe that flights and travel will be 'banned' until August, per se, but for the next few months, it is looking very grim. Hopefully additional support are made available for the industry and further tax breaks once things begin to move again to allow a faster recoup of losses.

Aviation won't recover 1 bit until well into next year, the problem with the new variants is that a lot more people get infected even though the lockdowns are happening, these will of course slow the spread down but the potential is there for more new variants of similar concern, it could turn into a ferocious cycle which would probably take circa 3 more years to get on top of. Travelling should be banned until year end, grin and bear it or potentially live with this crap for another 3 years. The virus just wants to live and like us will try and adapt to do so, hence the mutations. 2021 is another write off :mad:

Yep, me too.

Some great deals out there at the moment. I'd be reasonably confident that by mid-August travel to Spain will be fine.

Had a couple of nice trips to both Italy and Spain last summer - it's great to be able to get away for a few weeks from the hysteria-merchants that this country seems to be saddled with.

sorry but disagree, hysteria is somewhat warranted, you must be blind, people dying, getting ill, people losing jobs (all of this world wide) but your concentrating on your summer holidays. Selfish and pathetic in a way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

F*ck that !!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

PCR with Randox is €99 it’s just another travel cost is the way I look at it, I spent close to 5k on 2 staycations last year and I won’t be doing that this year that’s for sure I’m already booked to travel abroad.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Sad to think that one of the safest places to go right now is WUHAN.

Marty Bird wrote: »
    PCR with Randox is €99 it’s just another travel cost is the way I look at it, I spent close to 5k on 2 staycations last year and I won’t be doing that this year that’s for sure I’m already booked to travel abroad.

Good for you that you can pay it, unfortunately a lot can't, that's it , travel will be back for the elites only ...

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Aviation won't recover 1 bit until well into next year, the problem with the new variants is that a lot more people get infected even though the lockdowns are happening, these will of course slow the spread down but the potential is there for more new variants of similar concern, it could turn into a ferocious cycle which would probably take circa 3 more years to get on top of. Travelling should be banned until year end, grin and bear it or potentially live with this crap for another 3 years. The virus just wants to live and like us will try and adapt to do so, hence the mutations. 2021 is another write off :mad:

The truth is no one knows exactly when the recovery starts, however, we have 2 (shortly 3) approved vaccines with high efficacy. The value of travel and tourism to most European countries is too high to simply ban all travel for the remaining 11 months of this year. Vaccine passports, testing and a common approach to travel will become a key factor to enable the recovery and I expect they will start coming into play sooner than you think.

I’ve written off the next 3 months completely but after that is something we can only guess and let’s be honest everyone’s guess will generally have a tinge of vested interest from Zero coviders demanding no one in or out until at least 2022 as it won’t affect them while those in travel and tourism businesses pushing for a much sooner resumption.

Golfman64 wrote: »
    The truth is no one knows exactly when the recovery starts, however, we have 2 (shortly 3) approved vaccines with high efficacy. The value of travel and tourism to most European countries is too high to simply ban all travel for the remaining 11 months of this year. Vaccine passports, testing and a common approach to travel will become a key factor to enable the recovery and I expect they will start coming into play sooner than you think.

I’ve written off the next 3 months completely but after that is something we can only guess and let’s be honest everyone’s guess will generally have a tinge of vested interest from Zero coviders demanding no one in or out until at least 2022 as it won’t affect them while those in travel and tourism businesses pushing for a much sooner resumption.

fair points and agreed. I am just saying we need to watch these variants carefully or we will be stuck in the cycle for years, if more variants emerge (probably will), personally i think they will close borders. It is a very concerning scenario. Anyway, just my opinion to ban travel for the year to try and avoid such scenarios, although of course new variants would probably emerge in each country but at a slower rate. All about the vaccine, we should really concentrate and vaccinate 70% worldwide by the end of October, huge ask though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

fair points and agreed. I am just saying we need to watch these variants carefully or we will be stuck in the cycle for years, if more variants emerge (probably will), personally i think they will close borders. It is a very concerning scenario. Anyway, just my opinion to ban travel for the year to try and avoid such scenarios, although of course new variants would probably emerge in each country but at a slower rate. All about the vaccine, we should really concentrate and vaccinate 70% worldwide by the end of October, huge ask though.

Vaccinate yes but vaccination will NOT change the status of possibility of infection (yet to be determined). So what difference will it make leaving travel till 2022 when we have 70% vaccinated? The problem will always be present. Summer 2022 will have another issue , 2023 another etc

If we don’t grasp the nettle this summer (when the elderly and vulnerable have been vaccinated) and reactivate the travel industry there’ll be massive damage to the entire industry.

Don't think they can afford to be stuck in this cycle for years, we will just learn to live with it and expand ICU facilities and put more into treatment ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

dalyboy wrote: »
    If we don’t grasp the nettle this summer (when the elderly and vulnerable have been vaccinated) and reactivate the travel industry there’ll be massive damage to the entire industry.

The Tourism/Aviation/Hospitality sectors I feel will remain the sacrificial lamb for this entire Crisis well into 2022, low cases or not we have a medical Junta in charge of the State with a bungling weak Government behind them...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Anti travel brigade ramping up their rhetoric today! Jesus

Marty Bird wrote: »

Your right but the problem is when you are abroad having to find somewhere to get a test so you can get home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

sorry but disagree, hysteria is somewhat warranted, you must be blind, people dying, getting ill, people losing jobs (all of this world wide) but your concentrating on your summer holidays. Selfish and pathetic in a way!

You must be blind!!! You must have been living under a stone if you don't realise that thousands of Irish people have loved ones, partners, children, parents in other countries and vica versa and the prolonged enforced separation is causing major hardship. There are old people dying without saying goodbye to their children. People being buried without family being able to attend their funerals. And I'm well aware that there are people sick and dying of Covid but your sort of repressive nonsense is completely callous to all those separated by this and to the collateral hardship created by this.

And who are you to call a person "selfish" and "pathetic"! Clearly you haven't a clue about human psychology or you might realise that people need hopes, dreams, plans to get through this. And plans for a relatively safe holiday abroad is perfectly ok. I suppose you think staycationing in a packed Kerry or Mayo is grand out. Or do you propose banning all holidays? Fling people into prison maybe for even having the gall to suggest it! :rolleyes:

acequion wrote: »
    You must be blind!!! You must have been living under a stone if you don't realise that thousands of Irish people have loved ones, partners, children, parents in other countries and vica versa and the prolonged enforced separation is causing major hardship. There are old people dying without saying goodbye to their children. People being buried without family being able to attend their funerals. And I'm well aware that there are people sick and dying of Covid but your sort of repressive nonsense is completely callous to all those separated by this and to the collateral hardship created by this.

And who are you to call a person "selfish" and "pathetic"! Clearly you haven't a clue about human psychology or you might realise that people need hopes, dreams, plans to get through this. And plans for a relatively safe holiday abroad is perfectly ok. I suppose you think staycationing in a packed Kerry or Mayo is grand out. Or do you propose banning all holidays? Fling people into prison maybe for even having the gall to suggest it! :rolleyes:

Yeah but so long as they die from non covid related issues it's ok !!!!
    It's acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Gael23 wrote: »
    Your right but the problem is when you are abroad having to find somewhere to get a test so you can get home

Not a problem to be tested for the return of my journey at my destination I’d already checked this out prior to booking. Do some research I’m sure a lot of destination will offer this.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Even if there are flights this summer to Sun destinations , less well off familys will hardly be able to pay an extra for tests.
    What will it cost a family of 4 ? 200 each , an extra 800 ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭josip

sorry to say, with the new variants, it's a possibility international travel will be restricted. The SA strain is quite worrying as the vaccine would need to be altered (data on this is still being gathered) to fully protect against it, if it is the case.... People need to think of the bigger picture here, everybody in this world needs to knuckle down and play their part or we will be going around in circles dealing with this virus for many years to come. It is looking more and more likely that booster jabs will be administered every couple of years or so. Therefore, until we get on top of it, travel should be banned and people given huge fines or sentences for travelling! We should be in a better place come August if we do so, basically we need to prepare for next winter now or we will be in this hell this time next year.

Not going to happen deathbomber.
    We skipped our summer trip last year, toed the party line, "next few weeks are crucial",...
    This summer it will be 18 months since our kids' granny last hugged them.
    She knew who they were the last time, but her dementia has worsened since.
    Hopefully she will still be alive and remember them this summer when we travel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement