Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Three threads in a row of finger wagging at people on here discussing travel, just what is your agenda??

And who do you think you are to belittle any other person's problems!

And the media are "downplaying" That has to be the funniest and craziest remark I've come across in ages. You must be right up there in your own planet mega hysteria and by the sounds of it you are if you think the Irish media are "downplaying" :pac: Or else you're a wind up.

Go and vent your anger and hysteria somewhere else :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Fisgon, if you aren't going to discuss travel related matters then why are you here? did you read the thread title? go and push your hysterical reactions to our travel plans somewhere else. People are already depressed as it is and we could do without your negativity. You seem to have a habit of spamming threads and speaking down to people. Get over yourself.

Pushing the 'zero covid' agenda is his only agenda. Is that you Professor Staines? reveal yourself.

People are done with listening to these type of arguments being made by the 'lockdown everything' brigade. We won't be blackmailed or insulted for a minute more.

Nothing you say will make any difference to people on here. Sorry.

I'm actually curious as to what these zero Coviders actually hope to achieve.

So ok we seal all the borders and effectively lock in and out all but the most essential. And who's to say the pesky virus which loves messing with us won't manage to get in through some mechanism of very essential travel. It only takes one. Just one. But ok let's say we get there, what's the plan then? Wait until we're certain the vaccines work? And how long will that be? Or seal up forever maybe? Gas how we Irish used to slap ourselves on the back as committed Europeans unlike those backward Brexiteers. And how we love to boast of how open we've become and how Europeanised.:rolleyes:

A great many paddies are still islanders at heart it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Isn't it comical. The only few people in Ireland who are pushing for 'zero covid' are the far-left lunatics in People Before Profit and Professor Staines who hasn't been accurate in 10 months about anything. He is literally a stain upon the Irish scientific community.

Are we seriously now suggesting we take advice from PBP? who wanted to once nationalise Dell :pac:

New Zealand is the most isolated country on earth geographically. Do I need to say anymore? it's extremely easy to control travel when you aren't surrounded by other nations. Ireland relies heavily on access to travel for its economy and because we are so close to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

RobitTV wrote: »
    Isn't it comical. The only few people in Ireland who are pushing for 'zero covid' are the far-left lunatics in People Before Profit and Professor Staines who hasn't been accurate in 10 months about anything. He is literally a stain upon the Irish scientific community.

Are we seriously now suggesting we take advice from PBP? who wanted to once nationalise Dell :pac:

New Zealand is the most isolated country on earth geographically. Do I need to say anymore? it's extremely easy to control travel when you aren't surrounded by other nations. Ireland relies heavily on access to travel for its economy and because we are so close to the UK.

All good points, I fear completely lost on many people here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

smurfjed wrote: »
    Sad to think that one of the safest places to go right now is WUHAN.

As long as you don't buy a 99 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Belgium has banned leisure travel for a month in order to curb the spread of the virus.
    Prime Minister Alexander De Croo said Friday that "when people travel, the virus travels with them."

Seriously folks how on earth can people constantly maintain that travel doesn't spread the virus?

johnire wrote: »
    Belgium has banned leisure travel for a month in order to curb the spread of the virus.
    Prime Minister Alexander De Croo said Friday that "when people travel, the virus travels with them."

Seriously folks how on earth can people constantly maintain that travel doesn't spread the virus?

I haven't come across one post on this thread claiming that "travel doesn't spread the virus." Not one. So your "constantly maintain" is exaggerated to the point of comical.

Of course travel spreads the virus. ALL travel. Travel to the shops, to work, to someone's house on an errand, 2km travel, 5km travel, travel within and inter county travel and also international travel. In fact all movement, all gatherings of people, everything, once you open your front door runs the risk of contagion and the risk of spread.

The genuine travellers on here recognise that and like many of the folk on the relaxing restrictions thread, do not support extremely draconian restriction of movement and repression of people.

People like your good self and this chap/lassie fisgon, who swung by earlier, claim to be big travellers and ever so annoyed too about restrictions on travel, yet I get the strong impression that the opposite is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Fisgon, if you aren't going to discuss travel related matters then why are you here? did you read the thread title? go and push your hysterical reactions to our travel plans somewhere else. People are already depressed as it is and we could do without your negativity. You seem to have a habit of spamming threads and speaking down to people. Get over yourself.

Pushing the 'zero covid' agenda is his only agenda. Is that you Professor Staines? reveal yourself.

People are done with listening to these type of arguments being made by the 'lockdown everything' brigade. We won't be blackmailed or insulted for a minute more.

Nothing you say will make any difference to people on here. Sorry.

Spamming? By pointing out the bloody obvious to people who seem intent on denying reality?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

fisgon wrote: »
    Spamming? By pointing out the bloody obvious to people who seem intent on denying reality?

You’ve yet to point out where people are denying reality

• Advertisement

That´s completely untrue. There was a report prepared by a group of scientists in the autumn pushing for zero Covid approach.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0804/1157355-zero-covid-island/

But yeah, why listen to the experts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

That´s completely untrue. There was a report prepared by a group of scientists in the autumn pushing for zero Covid approach.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0804/1157355-zero-covid-island/

But yeah, why listen to the experts?

"The current policy was to "live with the virus" the scientists say, with an implicit hope that a vaccine will be available soon. But they say vaccine experts suggest there may not be a vaccine available for the population until late next year at the earliest."

Top quality experts we have there.

Any recognisable names in this so called group of "experts"?

"Professor Sam McConkey of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland." LOL.

Take the hint you were already given and stop embarrassing yourself

Everyone has the right to an opinion- it may be different to yours- deal with it.

It's interesting to note you made no reference to what I posted;

acequion wrote: »
    I haven't come across one post on this thread claiming that "travel doesn't spread the virus." Not one. So your "constantly maintain" is exaggerated to the point of comical.

Of course travel spreads the virus. ALL travel. Travel to the shops, to work, to someone's house on an errand, 2km travel, 5km travel, travel within and inter county travel and also international travel. In fact all movement, all gatherings of people, everything, once you open your front door runs the risk of contagion and the risk of spread.

The genuine travellers on here recognise that and like many of the folk on the relaxing restrictions thread, do not support extremely draconian restriction of movement and repression of people.

People like your good self and this chap/lassie fisgon, who swung by earlier, claim to be big travellers and ever so annoyed too about restrictions on travel, yet I get the strong impression that the opposite is the case.

Everyone has the right to an opinion- it may be different to yours- deal with it.

Why would I refer to it? You're trying to pigeon hole people here saying we are denying that travel spreads Covid when that is a blatant lie. Not one poster is denying it. So I addressed that in my post, not what Belgium are doing.

Why push what Belgium are doing as some sort of victory for your argument? Belgium are perfectly entitled to do what they think necessary to curb the spread there as they've been very badly hit for some time now. And it is only a temporary travel ban until 1st March. Something like that may happen here but I hope not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

One of the reason for Belgium’s travel ban in February is that it’s a hugely popular month for Belgians to go skiing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Why would I refer to it? You're trying to pigeon hole people here saying we are denying that travel spreads Covid when that is a blatant lie. Not one poster is denying it. So I addressed that in my post, not what Belgium are doing.

Why push what Belgium are doing as some sort of victory for your argument? Belgium are perfectly entitled to do what they think necessary to curb the spread there as they've been very badly hit for some time now. And it is only a temporary travel ban until 1st March. Something like that may happen here but I hope not.

Then why are you travelling and promoting travelling except for your own benefit?

Is your pleasure more important than other peoples health?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Then why are you travelling and promoting travelling except for your own benefit?

Is your pleasure more important than other peoples health?

That provocative, troll like comment doesn't deserve a reply and I won't dignify it with one.

Anyone with an open mind can read back over this thread and see the varying opinions and their reasons.But zealots won't want to do that.

Three threads in a row of finger wagging at people on here discussing travel, just what is your agenda??

And who do you think you are to belittle any other person's problems!

And the media are "downplaying" That has to be the funniest and craziest remark I've come across in ages. You must be right up there in your own planet mega hysteria and by the sounds of it you are if you think the Irish media are "downplaying" :pac: Or else you're a wind up.

Go and vent your anger and hysteria somewhere else :rolleyes:

I think you have just given us a good example of a hysterical post....

You just have.

That provocative, troll like comment doesn't deserve a reply and I won't dignify it with one.

Anyone with an open mind can read back over this thread and see the varying opinions and their reasons.But zealots won't want to do that.

You just have.

Call it manners johnire and it's probably a big waste of manners replying to trolls. But I generally like to respond to posts addressed to me.

• Advertisement

Coybig_ wrote: »
    "The current policy was to "live with the virus" the scientists say, with an implicit hope that a vaccine will be available soon. But they say vaccine experts suggest there may not be a vaccine available for the population until late next year at the earliest."

This is getting a little bit like Brexit and Trump - "people are tired of experts" was what Michael Gove said. Trump consistently claimed that he knew more than scientists.

You can claim, like the now twice-impeached ex-Pres, that you know better than people working in infectious diseases as their profession, but it doesn't make it true.

The facts (I know that is a difficult word for some people on here) are that our health service is almost at breaking point, partly because of international travel. If widespread travel is allowed, most people will be responsible but a substantial minority will not, and this has led to the current disaster.

Trump called anyone who questioned him "fake news".

You can't just call everyone a "troll" if you don't like what they say.

In any case I wouldn't be holding the Belgians up as a shining example of anything. They are a very splintered society made up of Flemish, Wallon and the Brussels region torn between the two and the various communities rarely agree on anything. And as politics reflect people that dysfunctional dynamic is very much reflected in their elected representatives. They were actually without a formal Govt for two years until September.

The Belgians are one of the few nations on earth compelled by law to vote. Their distaste and criticism of their politicians would make our criticism of ours look like hugs and chocolates.

I lived in Belgium for many years and really feel for the Belgians as they really have been badly hit by Covid. And political ineptitude would most likely explain a lot of that. So perhaps this rather extreme measure of temporarily closing their borders may well be a case of too little too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Coybig_ wrote: »

What exactly is wrong with that article do you think. You don't think that having to have lockdowns now is a social and economic catastrophe? The countries that adopted a "zero covid" approach don't have those same lockdowns.

It was printed on 4th August 2020. A time when daily numbers were very low. The said that a vaccination for the population might not be available until "late next year". Even that was fairly accurate - no? They already had potential vaccines in early 2020. I think they had a vaccine well before we had the first case in Ireland. It just wasn't tested. And as it is, they are aiming to have everyone vaccinated by September.

Perhaps you don't really understand what was meant by "zero covid approach"? Is that where your confusion is stemming from?

Trump called anyone who questioned him "fake news".

You can't just call everyone a "troll" if you don't like what they say.

Trolls are provocative, insulting and generally post to cause trouble.

You might consider changing your tone and posting style if you want to be taken seriously.

In any case I don't take you seriously and won't be replying any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Registered Users Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Which?

The checking or breaking the 5km limit by literally hundreds of km?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,168 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I don’t see anyone here claiming that if someone is Covid positive while in London and flies to Dublin, then they have not transported that virus. But the question is “how dangerous is flying”, if that person sits on a plane, how many if any, of the passengers will get infected by them ?

The same applies to all travel, ship, train, bus or just going to the chipper.

• Advertisement

Here’s a couple of photos taken from my lunchtime run today of 2 of the most popular beaches in my Spanish neighbourhood. These beaches are usually very popular with Irish, English and European visitors not to mention the Spanish weekenders. (Granted U.K. travellers aren’t permitted in to Spain at the moment)

https://ibb.co/jWnkVp0
    https://ibb.co/JcCFzkr

As you can see they’re empty.

Where are all these Irish jetsetters taking the luscious short breaks and holidays? Over the past month I’ve not met 1 Irish person visiting Spain on a short term visit.

Meanwhile nearly 2,400 confirmed covid cases in Ireland in the past 24 hours are free to leave their house as they please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement